Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:54:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 348
Total: 348

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: OK.... my turn  (Read 7161 times)

Offline xfulanix

• I know my status...Do you know your's?
OK.... my turn
« on: March 13, 2007, 05:19:55 pm »
I have been glued to this site for almost a week now.  I have laid low like some lurker in the dark educating myself about the virus and exposer alike.  I must say that this place is going to cause me to lose my job (I spent 7 or 8 working hours one day alone) as I am addicted to the wealth of knowledge that exists here.  Ok you say get to the point....well with me there is never a short story   :-*

Ok here is my scenario...I was working out one day on the treadmill at the gym.  This little boy (that I know and that I know has no upbringing) comes up to me and tries to slap me a high 5.  I do so and when our hands connected he stuck me with a thumb tack that he obviously had been doing to others only God knows how long.  I looked at my hand and noticed that he did draw blood.  The stick was enough to penetrate my skin and create (although a small amount) blood loss. 

So you know where I am going now.  What risks are there if there is the possibility that this same stupid joke would have been played on someone that is poz and then played on me?

My health has been fine no ARS symptoms and this incident happened around 4 months ago.

Hey
Thank in advance for your expertise
Making the world allot safer 1 test at a time.

Offline Central79

Re: OK.... my turn
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 05:27:41 pm »
You don't have any risk. HIV is an extremely fragile virus and doesn't live very long outside of the body.

All the best,

Matt.
Diagnosed January 2006
26/1/06 - 860 (22%), VL > 500,000
24/4/06 - 820 (24.6%), VL 158,000
13/7/06 - 840 (22%), VL 268,000
1/11/06 - 680 (21%), VL 93,100
29/1/07 - 1,020 (27.5%), VL 46,500
15/5/07 - 1,140 (22.8%), VL not done.
13/10/07 - 759 (23.2%), VL 170,000
6/11/07 - 630 (25%), VL 19,324
14/1/08 - 650 (21%), VL 16,192
15/4/08 - 590 (21%), VL 40, 832

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 05:29:28 pm »
XF, whether stuck intentionally with a tack as you experienced or stepping on a nail or any number of similar incidents with pins and sewing needles or a haircutter's scissors, etc., no one has ever been documented to have been  infected with HIV in that way.

It's safe to say you aren't going to make history by becoming the first.

While you're busy reading here make sure you read the lessons on Transmission and Testing. You will get all the basics there to be concerned about as well as the ones you don't have to worry about. There's a link to those lessons in the Welcome thread which opens this section.

You have no cause for concern about HIV from this incident. Period. End of story.  

Andy Velez

Offline xfulanix

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 05:35:20 pm »
Why thank you!  YOU GYS ROCK!  Hands down!

I hate to do this....but is it just customary to offer a "Welcome" to poz people that join?  Or was it because I am getting a risk assessment?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 05:42:24 pm »
It sounds like you're feeling neglected about not having received a formal welcome. By answering a Worried's questions they're being welcomed.   

I guess the "welcome" is more formal for those who are HIV+, especially if they are newly diagnosed.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 05:43:58 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline xfulanix

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 10:19:27 am »
Well.....Alright.  I guess......

I will take that as my own Welcome and continue to feel apart of the family.

Regards,
Fulani

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 11:25:24 am »
The HIV+ family is one you dont really want to be a part of!   ;D  Use condoms for intercourse and we hope to never see you at the family picnics!

Andrew
(who means this in the BEST possible way!)
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 03:13:36 pm »
x,

Along with the information in the Transmission Lesson, here's what else you need to know to remain hiv negative:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence. Make sure you also check out some of the links on the left-hand side of either one of those pages. You'll find information on the female condom. I recommend you check them out - because they give YOU the control over condom use. Lots of men don't like to use condoms and the female condom is a way around that dilemma.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Make sure your partner is using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently - or use female condoms - and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline xfulanix

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 10:07:56 am »
Got it!

Offline xfulanix

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 09:58:03 am »
I have another situation now.  Last night I had protected sex with a guy that I have been seeing for about 2 months.  We used trojan latex condom and while I was on top he ejaculated and when he pulled out while I was still on top the condom slipped off.  The rim of the condom was still at my vaginal opening when he pulled it out of me.  I now know the importance of lubrication and I am wondering am I at risk? 

I asked him his HIV status and he told me he tested a month ago (for an annual check up) and he was negative.  I had a very hard time sleeping last night as unless I was there when he got his results then I cant know for sure.

There was semen in the condom but possible all the way up to the rim.  Cant say weather there was any inside me, but when I wiped myself I was dry. 

Thoughts?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 10:07:44 am »
Again, you were never at risk. You do however need to instruct your bf on how to withdraw without losing his condom.

Offline xfulanix

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 10:11:31 am »
Rapid......thanks! 

But tell me why was I not at risk?  Is this based on the fact that he told me his "status"? 

Let me pose this question, lets say the condom was way up in me and I had to fish for it, would there be a risk then?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 10:21:37 am »
The reason for no risk is, that he lost it on withdraw. If a condom would have been lodged so far in you that you had to have it removed, then you would have had a small possible risk

Offline xfulanix

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007, 10:23:13 am »
Wow!  You are AWESOME.  Thank you for your expertise!

Offline xfulanix

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 05:09:57 pm »
Before I go into my panic attack that I am having right now I would like to know if/what risks I may have had.

The just of this is that I had protected sex with a latex condom that never broke or came off.  He did ejaculate.  The problem is that we used a heating massage oil for lube, which it wasn't until afterwards that I read it was not latex compatible.  Now I am concerned as doesn't HIV pass through latex condoms in these conditions?  My stuff was really hot from the oil and this is what made me look at the back to see if this was lube as some are disguised as massage oils.  Please let me know. 

This incident happened a little over a week ago and here I sit at my desk having dizzy spells and trying to figure out what could be the problem and of course ARS came to mind.  I had put the whole incident behind me until now.  I am under a great deal of stress at work so this may be attributing to the dizziness but it does not hurt to check my risk factors.

I seek your expertise.
Thanks

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2008, 05:30:55 pm »
The condom didn't fail so you didn't have a risk.

Offline xfulanix

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2008, 05:32:52 pm »
I see why they call you Rapid...well at least in this sense :)  Thank you.

So then what does it mean when the oils and stuff say they are not compatable with latex condoms?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2008, 05:42:09 pm »
Oils can weaken condoms and cause them to fail.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.