Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:10:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 350
Total: 350

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Nutrition  (Read 29865 times)

Offline allopathicholistic

Nutrition
« on: June 05, 2006, 01:43:10 am »
allopathicholistic ,

since you seem to be pretty informed on this, maybe a 'lesson' is in order.   alternative medicine can be a great thing i think to help keep people healthy and eating right and vitamins can perhaps do alot... i don't place faith in that myself...

but perhaps a  true lesson on holistic vitamins can help here... and balanced nutrition... that's kinda lacking from the regular lessons.... maybe you should contact the forum mods about this... it can't be especially specific and has to be supported by conclusive science.   

Thanks. I certainly wish I was qualified to provide broad and infallible nutrition info with proper scientific backup but I'm just an everyday guy - I don't have the credentials. But if a qualified person did join this site and the forums that would be superb - I would help out by asking him/her hardass questions, but know this: Even in the cosmos of nutrition science, the scientists themselves argue alot as in, "oh, your data is skewed", "oh, your data is biased", blah blah blah. And Scientific Study A can conflict enormously with Scientific Study B. As we all know, the human body is complex with a capital C!!

For me personally, you could say I loosely follow the macrobiotic diet which is the same diet Gwyneth Paltrow likes (and supposedly Madonna now too). It's mostly vegetarian, but it does encourage sushi. In addition to sushi it also looks favorably upon beans, sprouts, corn, fresh pressed carrot/beet juice, brown rice, burdock. Bottom line - We need a bona fide nutrition guy/gal!!  :-\
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 02:45:55 pm by allopathicholistic »

Offline Dachshund

Re: Nutrition
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 11:07:24 am »
I tried macrobiotics back in the "80's. Even spent a summer at the Kushi Institute in Brookline,MA. I was turned off after reading that Michio Kushi believed mo's were sick and could be "cured" with a macro diet and lifestyle. Seems our yin and yang are totally out of balance according to ol' man Kushi. He did say it was okay to smoke...go figure.

Peace,
Hal
ps...if it smells good eat it.

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 10:21:21 am »
Michio Kushi believed mo's were sick and could be "cured" with a macro diet and lifestyle.

wow, how absurd. i didn't know that about him

Offline Steven

• A Place To Start
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 06:08:28 am »
Thanks. I certainly wish I was qualified to provide broad and infallible nutrition info with proper scientific backup but I'm just an everyday guy -

That is all the credentials you need. If you have something that has worked for you then sharing may help others who are walking down the same path.
Scientific backup is not always necessary and in some instances tainted by special interests.  When I first came to the forums in Dec of 2002 I was new and green, not knowing much about this virus and the effects it has on your body.  Over time and with help from some others I learned what works, and what doesn't.

Always remember that each of our bodies are different so what may be good for one may not be for another. Science does not teach us that.. :)

I look forward to reading more from you here.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 08:22:11 am »
Hey Hal,

What's a "mo"?

??? ??? ???

Dazed and confused as usual.

Mark

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 08:25:52 am »
I tried a macrobiotic diet briefly. Being gluten intolerant, it made life even more difficult and I finally just said "forget it."

Besides, eating sushi in New Mexico is a crap shoot. It is rather like drinking water from the Erie Canal. You can do it, but you better be sure how it was handled.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 08:34:36 am »
It is rather like drinking water from the Erie Canal.
HUGS,

Mark

:D  Did enough of that when I was a kid swimming in the Erie canal. Of course not on purpose !!

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 11:14:46 am »
Hey Hal,

What's a "mo"?

??? ??? ???

Mark

mo = homo

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 11:15:08 am »
Hey Hal,

What's a "mo"?

??? ??? ???

Mark

Homo,girlfriend :-*

Sorry,guess I should read before posting.

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 09:03:47 am »
If you have something that has worked for you then sharing may help others who are walking down the same path.

okay then. as of late i've been loving Caldwell vegetables (grown and vacuum sealed in Quebec, just north of Vermont, i have them mailed to me) .... they're lacto fermented and nice with baked potatoes and tahini or humus or on top of a veggie patty (burger) ... they taste sour so if you hate sour foods you'll hate 'em.  i think they're improving my energy and bowel health.

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006, 01:00:55 am »
I hate eating healthy, I have the palate of an eight-year-old, and I think Taco Bell is fine dining. I've not really changed my diet since testing poz. One of my best friends, who's a holistic nutrition and health counselor/consultant, keeps bugging me to eat healthier. We have a shtick: K says, "Jay, try that, it's really good." Jay replies: "I can't eat that, it looks too healthy." Then K groans and we giggle. But seriously, I'm going to try including more leafy things in my diet and less processed microvaveable food. And once K is back in town, I'm going to get her on this site to offer whatever words of nutritional wisdom she has.

Jay
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2006, 02:49:33 am »
We have a shtick: K says, "Jay, try that, it's really good." Jay replies: "I can't eat that, it looks too healthy."

Baby steps. Start with 5%, then when you're ready 15%, then 50% ... When the "too strict too fast" approach fails - and it often does, it's a waste of time and can scar the psyche

I've been eating relatively healthy since 1997 when I reduced cigarettes by a lot. Alcohol by a whole lot ...soda pop by 95%. White sugar by 40%. Illicit drugs by 99%

Last winter when I had 42 cd4 's I had no OI's ... No CMV, no TB, no PCP, spotless X rays, no hep. Today 419 cd4 's (18%) ...... So, needless to say, in my mind, healthy choices have an upside or two!   8)

Offline Jeffrey200

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2006, 04:39:48 am »
have you tried this website?

www.nutritiondata.com/

:D

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2006, 05:30:40 pm »

www.nutritiondata.com/

Jeffrey200 - Thank you for the resource. Never heard of it til now
Alex

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2006, 06:26:29 pm »
Thank you indeed,

this one goes in the tool bar!

Pat
People have the power - Patti Smith

Offline carbonNYC

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2006, 07:08:29 pm »

www.nutritiondata.com/

Indeed! I'd never seen that!

I especially like the "Explorer" -- which looks great for finding foods that meet specific criteria.
http://www.nutritiondata.com/explorer.html
David
carbonNYC -a-t- gmail.com
Check out the Flickr photos I've taken!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.