Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:04:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773204
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 572
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 518
Total: 520

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Disclosure  (Read 4235 times)

Offline Stone

Disclosure
« on: October 07, 2013, 01:30:58 pm »
My brother has finally gotten back into dating after the death of his partner and has found someone he is very much interested in.  The problem is that he is so afraid to disclose that he freezes up when he attempts to do so.  I have provided encouragement, offered to be there as silent support when he does it, and made sure that he has the correct info i.e. risk of transmission (small) and the existence of PEP if there was an accident with a condom.  I have told him that when he does disclose he needs to just say it matter of fact and not act like it is the end of the world.  I have told him that maybe it would be easier to disclose using the hit and run method i.e. disclose and get the hell out. I have told him that if this guy can't deal it doesn't say anything about this guy, my brother, or my brothers future dating prospects. That it just means this particular guy can't deal. He claims to understand this. I think this guy can be trusted not to run his mouth regardless of the outcome of the relationship and my brother agrees.  Still can't do it.  I am afraid that if he waits too much longer this thing is going to tank not because of HIV but because of the lack of honesty.

Anyone willing to share how you handle disclosure or how you have been disclosed to?

Offline marcmoral16

Re: Disclosure
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 02:07:56 pm »
Hi Stone,

Disclosure has to be when he is comfortable, he has to be strong and firm in it because he wants to show his partner that he is confident when telling him all this stuff.

I fully disclosed through just sitting down and having a normal conversation. I didnt have anyone there as not to distract me. Telling the person will be a great relief but the person if they are really into your brother regardless will listen and understand. People are very understanding, as long as he discloses before sexual activities then he got this  ;)
Tested Positive Jan 16 2013
CD4 119 6% VL 23980
Started Complera Feb 2013
March CD4 199 9% VL 1000
May CD4 255 12% VL 334
June CD4 284 15% VL 172
Switched to Stribild middle June 2013
July CD4 325 22% VL 51
October CD4 341 23% VL UD!!
Jan 2014 CD4 343 20% VL <20
July 2014 CD4 450 26% VL <20
December 2014 491 26% still UD!

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 04:49:46 pm »
You are a lovely brother/sister for thinking and doing all that.   :D
Your brother will learn his way, through trial and error.  Hopefully not too much of either.  Maybe this is the first one and we'll see how this goes.. Hopefully well.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 05:01:42 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Stone

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 07:57:41 pm »
Thank you both for your replys.  In my head I know that I need to just sit on my hands and let him find his way.  My heart is the problem.  It has taken him 7 years to even get to this point and I am scared that if this doesn't go well he will be crushed and be too scared to try again.  He has been with this guy for almost two months and has made some less than honest statements in an attempt to keep his secret.  I fear that when the truth finally comes out this guy is going to be really pissed and tell him to go chase himself.  I also worry about the stress and energy involved with keeping the secret.  Having never been in this particular situation I don't have anything to give him that is of any benefit so I guess I just need to let my head take the lead on this one.  Thank you both again!

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 11:50:41 pm »
... Having never been in this particular situation I don't have anything to give him that is of any benefit...

You have already given him something, by supporting him in these difficult times.  Never underestimate the power of simply "being there" for someone.  Many times, it's not what you do or say so much, it's your continued support that will allow him to explore, knowing there are safe havens from those stormy skies.

Joe

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.