Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:43:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 231
Total: 231

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: After 7 years of denial, I am getting my 1st labs done next Monday.  (Read 17937 times)

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
Re: After 7 years of denial, I am getting my 1st labs done next Monday.
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2014, 06:02:12 pm »
Perhaps you all can enlighten me; I thought speed was what we took in the 80's to loose weight?  Is speed a generic term used for various drugs?

My "black beauty" source always called them speed, which of course it did.  Even with those, I remember the progression of more, more, more.  I was taking 4 or 5 at time before I stopped using them.  Taking 1 simply did nothing and I could probably have went to sleep.

Yes speed is amphetamine and your Black Beauties are classic speed in Pill form,

Meth is Cask aged Malt to Speed,s blended whiskey,

Read the link I popped up that covers it.
m
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline BoiBoy

« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2014, 09:11:04 am »
I am so %%%@!^* mad right now. I was supposed to have my doctor's appointment this morning. I called to confirm my appointment when I was on the way. They said they are under new management. They said they no longer see patients on Monday. But no one called me to reschedule. I have to wait until the 13th of June now.

I feel like I'm gonna go crazy. I can't believe no one thought to call the patients that had already been scheduled on Mondays. I was so excited and anxious for today. Now I have to contain all of this nervous energy for close to 2 months. Really disappointed. I don't know what to do.

Offline Theyer

« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2014, 09:21:10 am »
Is it possable to find another ID doctor. There treatment off you so far does not demonstrate any form off efficiency or care. In fact the opposite.

I am sorry , you have been on the end off cruel behaviour, let it go as soon as you can and if its possable to have another ID Doc put the energy into investigating them.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline BoiBoy

« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2014, 09:34:45 am »
Is it possable to find another ID doctor. There treatment off you so far does not demonstrate any form off efficiency or care. In fact the opposite.

I am sorry , you have been on the end off cruel behaviour, let it go as soon as you can and if its possable to have another ID Doc put the energy into investigating them.

I'm on the phone, trying to be seen at another clinic as I type this.
I'm trying to remain calm and ditch that complaining attitude.
Things will work out for the good.

Offline Theyer

« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2014, 10:02:36 am »
They most certainly will with that attitude, Good on you. I would not want to be part off the new management after that cock-up.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2014, 06:50:54 pm »
Are you in the US?

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2014, 06:58:56 pm »
Are you in the US?

That's what I was wondering. BB can you tell us your location. Sorry that your having to deal with that today.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline BoiBoy

« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2014, 10:40:44 pm »
That's what I was wondering. BB can you tell us your location. Sorry that your having to deal with that today.

Ray

Yes. I'm in the United States.
Atlanta, Georgia.

It's okay.
I had some time to think about it and I have NO complaints.
I believe in divine timing and even though I definitely would have preferred to get this process started today, I am willing to wait.
You never know why things happen the way they do... but I am deciding to trust in the things I can't control and exercise faith.

I'm alive. I'm smiling.
I'm going to be perfectly fine. =)
Thanks for all of your concerns. I appreciate the support. Really...
I can't wait to share my first labs with you all.

One thing I did notice... June 13th is a Friday.
Not necessarily the best date/day combo... but we work with what is available. LOL.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 10:44:54 pm by BoiBoy »

Offline BoiBoy

« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2014, 10:41:18 pm »
Edited: double post.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 10:43:41 pm by BoiBoy »

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2014, 11:26:54 pm »
BB--

May I make a suggestion? Would you consider calling them tomorrow and ask if there are any cancellations OR if they have a cancellation list would they put your name on it ?

If you have flexibility, quite often schedulers will go for that. In this instance, it will also buy you phone time to gently express how disappointed you were to not have been called and how eager you are to get first-ever labs which are long overdue.
This might pry an opening in the schedule.

I've been on the planet a lot longer than you. People are rude and often  don 't call doc offices to cancel ---and, this ultimately results in double or triple booking and cranky staff.

If you 're near enough and can go on fairly short notice, this could cut down your exceptionally long wait time. I suspect many of us have thought WTF as we read this.  What they did wasn't right and they should have moved a bit of earth to get you in  sooner.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2014, 11:34:23 pm »
^^^^A+ post ^^^^
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2014, 12:59:07 am »
They should have continued to see the Monday patients on the schedule and began to schedule all new appts for Tuesday to Friday.  Two months is a long time, for someone who doesn't know where their counts stand.

At my HIV doc, there is a lab person there in their own little room.  I can go anytime I want to get blood drawn.  I would ask whether blood is drawn there and whether you can just get your blood drawn.  If things are not so great, they will see you need to get in sooner.  If you're in pretty good shape, then perhaps two months is no big deal.  Even if you have to get labs done at another location, they should be able to order that now.  Just because a doctor cannot physically see you until June doesn't mean blood labs cannot be drawn now.  I'm sure the doc would want to have your labs ahead of time anyway.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2014, 07:53:27 am »
Ted makes a great point.  There should be no real reason why your doctor's office couldn't send a lab requisition slip to Quest, LabCorp or some other local laboratory prior to your appointment in June.  By doing this, your doctor will have your results for your visit and you won't need to come back or wait for a call.
I always have my labwork done 2 weeks before my visit.
Even if the normal routine is to have them drawn in the office, you should be able to request them be done anywhere (assuming your insurance will cover it -- some will do a separate charge if they aren't part of a visit).  Given that you are seeing the doctor 2 months later due to THEIR issue, they should be willing to work with you on this.

edited to add:  Be sure to tell your doctor what has happened with your apt change, when you do get in to see him.  Folks assume that doctors are aware of all this stuff, but I have found that when I tell my doctor about scheduling snafus or other "issues" I have with his office, he is surprised and has rectified a number of them for me.

Good Luck,
Mike

Offline BoiBoy

« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2014, 10:27:26 am »
Ted makes a great point.  There should be no real reason why your doctor's office couldn't send a lab requisition slip to Quest, LabCorp or some other local laboratory prior to your appointment in June.  By doing this, your doctor will have your results for your visit and you won't need to come back or wait for a call.
I always have my labwork done 2 weeks before my visit.
Even if the normal routine is to have them drawn in the office, you should be able to request them be done anywhere (assuming your insurance will cover it -- some will do a separate charge if they aren't part of a visit).  Given that you are seeing the doctor 2 months later due to THEIR issue, they should be willing to work with you on this.

edited to add:  Be sure to tell your doctor what has happened with your apt change, when you do get in to see him.  Folks assume that doctors are aware of all this stuff, but I have found that when I tell my doctor about scheduling snafus or other "issues" I have with his office, he is surprised and has rectified a number of them for me.

Good Luck,
Mike

I called back this morning to express my concerns and spoke to someone who seemed a bit more understanding and empathetic.
They told me to call back around 5 to see if there were any cancellations for tomorrow.
I'm going to follow-up as often as I can, in hopes that I can be seen as early as possible.
I'm also going to discuss this with the doctor when I get to see him. Thanks so much for that tip.
A big part of this situation developing how it did is rooted in my ignorance. I don't know what things are available to me and what's off limits. You all are enlightening me about shortcuts and usual procedures.
At times I can be too passive... but I'm starting to see that I have to aggressive about my health.
I appreciate everyone's insight.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 10:30:47 am by BoiBoy »

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2014, 05:21:20 pm »
Yay!

Offline klassykitty

« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2014, 10:10:21 am »
Crystal is usually red because of the iodine that is added, crank is usually white to a light brown color; crystal is normally more pure than crank.  Speed is the pill form of meth.  Wolfter I used to break apart black beauties and throw in some pot, and/or hash and sometimes crush up a pink lady and smoke it all in my bong.
President Kennedy was the most popular meth addict.

Boiboy--  My doctor figures I had my AIDS for a few years before I was diagnosed.  I know i got it from my ex in CO. and I wasn't diagnosed until Jan. of 2011, by that time I had moved back to PA. My CD4  was 32 and VL almost 126,000.  Needless to say I started meds right away, (well 3 days after my dx).

I take Isentress, Truvada, Bactrim, and Zithromax some side effects but for the most part they have gone or subsided to a tolerant point.  My CD4 is now 201 and I have been UD since April 2011 or something like that.

Like Drew and others on here eventually I learned to "forget" about it.  I am now in college going for my associates in human services, job hunting and  kind of have a boyfriend that I've kind of been seeing for 4 months.   Piece of advice my doc. gave to me:
Don't work your schedule around your pills, work your pills around your schedule.  And be adherant about taking them on time or as close to on time as you can.

Do you have an AIDS Service Organization near you?  I became "friends" with my case worker at my ASO and also my case worker at doctors office.  Like Ted mentioned I go to the hospital to get my blood work done and I usually go 1 week before my appointment so he has updated results when I go.

Good luck and keep us up to date.

Michelle 8)

How to handle stress like a dog:
If you can't eat it or play with it.....
then pee on it and walk away

Diagnosed 01-20-2011
01-23  CD4 32    VL 125,400
02-18        76     VL 189
03-14  no cd4 test done   VL-52
04-14   69  VL-UNDECTABLE  YEA!!
05-26   50  whoopsy  
06-27   71        %-7
08-15   64 WTF %-9 
10-16  80         %7  
2012  CD4  %Thing   VL-UD
01-18  87    7
04-18  93    8  
07-16  151  8         
10-18  83    9    VL-70
2013   CD4   %thing       VL-UD
01-28  121     9
04-24  148    11   
07-25  157    11   
10-22  185    13
2014   CD-4  %thing   VL-UD
02-07 201 YEA!!!!!!  12
06-03  205      12

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.