Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:24:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 580
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 453
Total: 454

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Conclusive result or not?  (Read 5071 times)

Offline Doglover55

• Standard
Conclusive result or not?
« on: July 09, 2013, 08:15:48 pm »
Hello, I am sure the story I have is not unique, but every time I search for answers I come up with more questions. So maybe if I just tell you my situation you can put my anxiety to rest. I tested negative at 52 days to a HIV antigen/antibody test. My exposure was with a man who said he was clean of stds(I'm healthy mid 30s female, I do have hashimotos and take Armour and cytomel). We both performed unprotected oral sex. I tried to move before he came but may not have been quick enough. Prior to that he rubbed around my vagina and anal area a lot and a few times inserted but I would make him withdraw without any further pumping. I didn't have any symptoms that I recall, but now at 9 weeks I'm fretting that a tingling in my arm and nagging headache are delayed symptoms. Does the test I took really mean conclusive? My GP thinks it is, but CDC says 3 months and so many sites are conflicting!! I want to believe it but can't quite. Taking the first test was stress inducing beyond belief. Any thoughts? I worry about a window between the p 24 antigen no longer being detected but the antibody not yet detectable. Also worried that I could have delayed response so wouldn't be detectable at 52 days. Are the three month people the ones who test at 2 weeks or their first time is at three weeks?

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: Conclusive result or not?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 08:29:20 pm »
Hello!

I am sorry you are fretting about this. Oral sex is not considered a tangible risk for HIV transmission, and seeing as how you did not have unprotected vaginal or anal sex, your test is absolutely reliable.

If you HAD a legitimate risk (you did not) a test at six weeks is considered all but solid - but ONLY a test at the three month window is considered absolutely reliable according to the current "gold standard."

Use a condom for penetrative vaginal and anal sex and you will prevent HIV. It really is that simple :)
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 05:37:48 am »

Prior to that he rubbed around my vagina and anal area a lot and a few times inserted but I would make him withdraw without any further pumping.

DL,

It is unclear from the portion of your post I quoted above whether you are talking about being rubbed and penetrated with a finger, or with a penis.

If it was a finger, then you did not have a risk.

If it was a penis, the rubbing without penetration (called frottage) was NOT a risk, however the penetration without a condom was a risk.

If you were penetrated by an unprotected penis, you need to confirm your negative result at the three month point.

The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks (42 days), with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days.

A six week (or more) negative must be confirmed at the three month point, but is highly unlikely to change. I do not expect your negative result to change, but you do need to confirm at the appropriate time.

You should also be tested for all the other, MUCH more easily transmitted STIs. Many of them can be present with no obvious symptoms, so the only way to know for sure is to test. (Are you aware that untreated chlamydia is one of the leading causes of infertility in women? It often goes untreated due to the lack of obvious symptoms.)

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence. I suggest that you buy your own supply of condoms and make your partner(s) wear one before any anal or vaginal penetration occurs. Don't rely on men to supply their own condoms.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv. Some of the other STIs can be present with no obvious symptoms, so the only way to know for sure is to test.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Doglover55

• Standard
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 10:12:29 pm »
Thank you all for your advice. I have never made such a mistake, but alcohol excess seriously impaired my judgement. Stupid I know. I will most likely have a 3 mth confirmation. It seems there is much discussion regarding the CDC and whether their current three month guidelines are antiquated. Obsessing over this led me to find this fairly recent article discussing possible revisions. Have you seen it?
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6224a2.htm?mobile=nocontent

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 10:21:56 pm »
For the timebeing we continue to follow the CDC recommendation of testing at 3 months for a conclusive negative result. Keep it simple, Dog. Test at 3 months, collect what I expect will be a negative result and get on with your life without doubts. 
Andy Velez

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 12:03:04 am »
Thank you all for your advice. I have never made such a mistake, but alcohol excess seriously impaired my judgement. Stupid I know. I will most likely have a 3 mth confirmation. It seems there is much discussion regarding the CDC and whether their current three month guidelines are antiquated. Obsessing over this led me to find this fairly recent article discussing possible revisions. Have you seen it?
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6224a2.htm?mobile=nocontent

In some places (Massachusetts is one) the generation of testing is uniformly state-of-the-art (thanks to their awesome healthcare system) and as a result, the testing window there is six weeks.

However, until that becomes a GLOBAL standard, we really have little choice (seeing as this is a global web site) but to stick with the three months standard. I certainly relish the day when we can change that, of course.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 05:26:45 am »
DL,

Thank you for that link - it's very new and I hadn't come across it yet. I have read other papers on this method, but that's a newer study. (and it's looking good!)

However, the testing methods used in that study are also quite new and it will likely take some time before they are implemented in all areas of the US and the rest of the world. In this current global economic climate, that may take some years to achieve.

Until this testing method is used world-wide, we will still recommend that people confirm a negative result at three months.

After all, hiv is a serious illness and in order for people to live well with hiv, they first need to know they have it. If that takes testing out to three months, then that's what it takes. Better safe than sorry.

You would be prudent to test at three months to confirm, and don't forget to test for all the other MUCH more easily transmitted STIs as well. I cannot stress testing for ALL STIs enough, as so many of them can be present with no obvious symptoms.

As a woman, you should also be having regular, routine PAP smears too. You can kill several birds with one stone by having all the tests done at the same time. Do it - you'll thank yourself in the long run.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Doglover55

• Standard
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 09:12:06 am »
 Thanks Ann,  I did have all other STD testing and a PAP done. They were all negative. If I got the antigen/antibody test done then that would have been the same one in the study and what they are using in Mass.? I live in Colorado so I think we are pretty up to date in using the latest tests. I am unfortunately by genetics a "worry wart" and this fear is making me unable to care for my kids, work or function. Just want a definitive, but not sure I can deal with anxiety two more weeks. May have to test again before then.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 09:47:21 am »
DL,

Do what you need to do to get some peace. I just hope you realise that if you test sooner than the appropriate time for a conclusive result (twelve weeks), then you're likely to continue to doubt your results.

You are unlikely to go on to test positive after your negative result thus far, but you do need to confirm - at the APPROPRIATE time. Not before.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Doglover55

• Standard
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 10:54:20 am »
Hi Ann and all,
  Well you were right, I'm sure you never get tired of hearing that! I couldn't wait to be tested after my earlier posts so I had another fourth generation test done at 67 days. It was negative. My GP said that it was final proof that I was conclusively negative. The three month CDC recommendation just ate away at me though. I have wasted so much time on the internet that it's disgusting to me. Finally yesterday I broke down and because I couldn't face my GP again I bought the Oraquick at home hiv test. It was 23 weeks and it was negative. The only thing I worry about it if I got enough cells from the swab for an accurate sample. From reading online on their website it seems that if a line shows next to the control mark, C, then you have an appropriate sample. Do you know if that is true? Should I be concerned with a false negative and can I consider myself now truly conclusive?! This test at this time is a reliable and accurate test? I appreciate all the work you do here for the worriers like myself! It is a great service you provide.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 11:11:28 am »
DL,

If the control line appeared, then the test was done properly. That's why the control exists.

You are conclusively hiv negative and you do not need further testing over this specific incident. You would be wise, however, to get into the habit of yearly, routine sexual health check ups. It's what responsible people do in order to protect their own health as well as that of their partner's.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. IT REALLY IS THAT SIMPLE!!!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Doglover55

• Standard
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 11:44:35 am »
Thank you Ann!
 That how I interpreted the test as well, but when I called their "support line" the operator said if I didn't swipe from molar to molar they wouldn't back the results. Seemed ridiculous to say that since that wasn't in the instruction packet. Trust me I would rather remain celibate for the rest of my life than to go through this anxiety I brought upon myself again. I will always use protection, common sense and get tested regularly in the future! Many thanks to you, JK and Andy for your responses. Time to take a deep breath and move on finally!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 01:23:14 pm »

the operator said if I didn't swipe from molar to molar they wouldn't back the results.

DL,

That's what's called a CYA policy - cover your ass (against lawsuits etc). This isn't the place to further discuss corporate mentality.

The control line is there to show whether or not the sample/swab is sufficient and the kit is working properly. Yours was. You do not have hiv and I suggest you put this behind you once and for all. If you can't, then counselling is in order. There's nothing more we can do for you here.

Remember: Condoms. Always.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.