Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:21:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 219
Total: 219

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I'm getting divorced (sort of)  (Read 23571 times)

Offline DanielMark

I'm getting divorced (sort of)
« on: July 20, 2007, 11:18:56 am »
I have smoked cigarettes longer than I’ve been HIV positive – which will be 19 years in September. This has got to stop.

After procrastinating for about five years (after a return to smoking following a 12-year break), I've decided to divorce Mr Nicotine  – again. I’ve set my target date and I’ll be going cold-turkey, the same way I did last time since none of the stop smoking products help me at all - not the pills and not the patches. Besides, why replace nicotine with nicotine? Makes no sense. And after reading that side effects may include nausea, vomiting, gas, headache and insomnia, Chantrix is and will remain a last resort option, if all else fails.

So, I am waiting on the delivery of a new bed this morning which will be my sanctuary from the world until I become civilized again. Also I have timed this horrifying event for when the boyfriend will be out of town (for work the first week of my withdrawal), so he’ll be out of danger of getting his head literally ripped off. I clearly remember the mood swings and the fits of anger and the utter insanity from the last time so it’s for the best.

Getting a new bed may be no major event, but it is the first outward signal to me that I am finally getting serious about making this change.

Thanks for reading,

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
Re: I'm getting divorced (sort of)
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 11:22:11 am »
Best of luck with this, Daniel.   My oldest brother is in the process also, except he is using Chantix.

Enjoy the new bed!

hugs,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Nadine

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 11:22:39 am »
Best of luck to you Daniel!

Offline Alain

• I am.
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 11:26:16 am »
Daniel,

Best of luck in your decision about quitting.

Not easy, but since I have done it; so can you.

Take care.

Alain.

PS cold turkey is best and enjoy the new bed.

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 11:56:53 am »
Thanks all,

Yes Alain, I remember well the freedom from being chained to smoking. Unfortunately I also remember the cravings never entirely left me in the 12 years I'd stopped, which was ultimately my downfall. Maybe this time I will be stronger and not get seduced all over again. I should also probably cut up my new VISA card.

Daniel

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 11:58:12 am »
Divorces can get ugly but that new bed should be of help.

Good luck with this good thing you're doing for yourself,  Daniel.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 12:41:37 pm »
Yippeee!  One less addict!

Instead of retreating to your bed, get out and stay physically active.  Doing so will help remind you of how precious your lungs are.
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 01:33:53 pm »
Good luck Daniel!!!

As an aside, Chantix has no nicotine, so this is something you could take a look at.

Milker.

/edited to get the first name right/
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 07:27:55 pm by milker »
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 03:22:11 pm »
Actually Milker,

Here in Canada the brand is called Champix. (Sounds like a breakfast cereal to me.)

So IF need be, I can always ask my psychotherapist to prescribe. Only trouble is, it's not covered under my health insurance. But my hope is that it won't come to that. Knowing from previous experience what I'll be facing, I am laying out plans for survival. One thing is joining an online Smoker's Helpline site, which I've done. Like alcoholics, only smokers can understand smokers.

Daniel

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline bear60

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 07:23:28 pm »
Good luck Daniel
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2007, 09:04:29 pm »
Daniel,

Good luck and hang in there.

I am glad I joined the unhooked generation, for those who remember that ad, and I smoked for 34 years.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 06:50:35 am »
Oooo good luck with the divorce, Daniel!
Don't you be pinging me online all grumpy and shit though! :D

You're in my thoughts, hon.

Melia :-*
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 07:02:29 am »
Thanks for the well wishes.

My new bed/sanctuary was delivered Friday and it’s all set up now (except for a headboard but that can wait). It’s going to be my de-stressing place away from the annoying wretched world. I have lots of books to preoccupy my thoughts and a few cross-stitch projects line up to keep the hands busy. I may also finally get busy on writing my memoirs, something I’ve been putting off for too long now.

And I am planning to get more active, probably by taking up my morning power walks again. I’m sure there will be extra pounds from pigging out at first that are going to need burning off. Besides, that feeling of wanting to escape out of your own skin will need attending to somehow. I also have some weights here that have been nothing but decoration for the past few years.

Daniel

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2007, 07:45:03 am »
My target date (or my last smoking day) is in about a week and a half - August 7 to be precise. I saw my therapist on Tuesday and we discussed this. He is all for me trying to stop again and I feel mentally prepared. The only thing I wonder about is how adapting to the new habits I have lined up is going to affect my loved ones.

That’s Mr Nicotine starting to complain I suppose. I may have to hire a hit man to take him out this time around.

Addiction = insanity. If you do not smoke, I highly recommend you never start.

Daniel

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline bear60

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2007, 11:06:35 am »
Daniel
Not a week goes by in the almost i year that I stopped smoking that I havent said...is this worth it....I think I'll start smoking again.  But I dont and I havent.  But I used to smoke to "feel normal"....now I dont feel normal anymore...and my accupuncturist is trying to help me FEEL NORMAL again.  The new "feeling normal" usually only lasts a few day after treatment, but we are working on a series of treatments that MAY help.  If not I told him that I was going to see a psychiatrist and get prescriptions.

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2007, 12:45:20 pm »
Bear,

The good news is that I am fed up now after returning to smoking five years ago. It’s really starting to piss me off (but I can use that to my advantage I think).

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline aztecan

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2007, 03:17:27 pm »
Daniel,

Hang in there. I know precisely what you are going through because I have been there - as have many others.

Back in the day, I was a regular user of a certain nose candy imported from the wilds of Columbia. Cocaine and I were very good friends.

One day, I realized we had become too close and that my friend was exercising a bit too much control over my life. I decided to stop.

That was a breeze compared to stopping smoking. There are days I want to climb the walls, even though I quit six months ago.

But, on the plus side, I no longer hack like a tubercular asthmatic. So, there are good things to consider.

I will be thinking of you and sending positive energy your way.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2007, 04:08:37 am »
Thanks Mark,

I can use all the positive energy you can muster. They say nicotine is worse than heroin to get off of, and although I never tried it I can believe that.

Daniel

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline Christine

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2007, 05:20:06 pm »
Daniel,
Sending you good thoughts! You can do it!

Enjoy the new bed!
Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2007, 04:49:46 am »
Thank you, Christine.

One thing that has already improved is that I am sleeping better (and for longer) at night now that I have a proper bed.

Daniel

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2007, 06:28:49 am »
Tomorrow is my last day to smoke, then it's climbing the walls time. I quit once for 12 years (until 2003 - the year from hell), so I know what's coming.

Please bear with me while I GO OUT OF MY MIND. Hopefully it will only be temporary, but it might be hard to tell any difference.

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline mjmel

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2007, 07:21:07 am »
Chantix Cost: $120 (US) for the initial 6 wks starter kit.  $115.00 for maintenance refill (another 6 weeks). Compare that with costs of smoking.
(cost per pack, tar buildup in lungs, social restrictions: smells a lot worst than you realize, dulls tastes and smells, significant efforts of body to combat the negative effects of nicotine when it can be fighting an equally deadly adversity.....(at this point I am addressing all those others out there who are still smoking but thinking about dealing with this addictive, lifetaking habit.)
The whole 'climbing the wall' episodes simply never happen when Chantix is in the system.

Mike
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 07:35:18 am by mjmel »

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2007, 08:25:52 am »

Please bear with me while I GO OUT OF MY MIND. Hopefully it will only be temporary, but it might be hard to tell any difference.

Wishing you the best Daniel !! You can do it !!
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2007, 10:29:32 am »

Well, I didn't want to say anything but...seeing as you brought it up first! :D

Good luck sweetie...you know where I am if you wanna scream...well, till Thursday anyway. ;D

Melia :-*
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2007, 12:25:42 pm »
Mike,

To quote myself at the top of this thread:

"And after reading that side effects may include nausea, vomiting, gas, headache and insomnia, Chantix is and will remain a last resort option, if all else fails."

Here in Canada it's sold as Champix. But, there is more than one way to go about this and I'm going to try my own methods first.

Want To Stop Smoking? An All-natural Approach
Can Help You Cope With Nicotine Withdrawal Symptoms And Cravings

http://www.thehealthierlife.co.uk/article/2943/stop-smoking.html

Thanks for the good wishes, JRE and Melia.

Daniel

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline aztecan

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2007, 11:36:31 am »
Hey Daniel,

I was reading the link you provided and noted it said to eat a low-carb diet because fluctuating blood sugar levels can aggravate cravings.

I had noticed this myself. When I allow myself to get too hungry, the cravings for a smoke increase. So, I guess they know what they're talking about.

Hmmm, that means I will be forced to take an afternoon ice cream break. I know, not low carb but there's nothing like a hot fudge sundae to set the afternoon off.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2007, 03:46:23 pm »
Yes, I noticed that Mark.

You get the bowls and I’ll get the spoons.

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2007, 05:05:56 am »
Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I know because I've done it thousands of times. (Mark Twain)

ARGH!

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2007, 06:48:47 am »
Well four days into this and things are not going so well.  :'(  This time it’s much harder for some reason.

I may have to give in and try the Champix (Chantix) too if I don't soon hit the turning point!

Pray for me.

Daniel

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2007, 02:41:56 pm »
Mike,

To quote myself at the top of this thread:

"And after reading that side effects may include nausea, vomiting, gas, headache and insomnia, Chantix is and will remain a last resort option, if all else fails."

Here in Canada it's sold as Champix. But, there is more than one way to go about this and I'm going to try my own methods first.

Well folks it's official. I’m at my wit’s end on this.

I’ve been having so much trouble staying stopped from smoking that I asked my psychiatrist this morning for a Champix prescription. I sure hope it's as effective at blocking the nicotine from the brain receptors as all the reports I've read say it is.  :-\

Daniel

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2007, 07:30:40 pm »
Good luck Daniel, I hope you can stick with it.

hugs,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2007, 07:56:20 pm »

Good luck !! By the way, did you start those power walks yet. I think you will find them helpful !!

Take care------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2007, 03:12:19 am »
Thanks Ray and Alan. I'll keep you posted.

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2007, 10:41:03 am »
Well, for better or worse I am now officially taking Champix. Picked up my starter pack from a pharmacy near Jimmy's this morning and popped the first .5mg tablet around 9:00. So far, no unwanted side effects at all. LOL

Don’t you love those product side effects warning inserts they put with drugs? I never know whether to be terrified of them or disappointed when none of them happen to me.

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2007, 12:21:03 am »
After procrastinating for about five years (after a return to smoking following a 12-year break), I've decided to divorce Mr Nicotine  – again.
So, I am waiting on the delivery of a new bed this morning

Daniel

There are healthy alternatives to smoking...Need any help breaking in the new bed?

:o  ::)  :P   :-X    8) -megasept

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2007, 09:05:28 am »
Uh  . . .  erm  . . .  it's kinda too late for that, MS.

The boyfriend and I inaugurated it weeks ago.  ;)

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2007, 10:28:22 am »
On day eight of Champix today – my quit day – and I have to say I am astounded at the reduction in cravings already.

Am I hallucinating?

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline cayucosguy

« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2007, 01:50:54 pm »
You aren't hallucinating!  It really does seem to work, at least for me.  I've gone from 1.5 - 2 packs per day to two puffs off of someone else's (I was a bit tipsy and just wanted to see what it tasted like) in the past three weeks.

My only side-fx have been the bizarre dreams (never-ending story type of dreams - if I get up in the middle of the night to piss, the dreams seem to pick up where the left off)  :o

Hang in there, my friend.  You will get through it!

Vince

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2007, 04:06:03 am »
Thanks Vince,

I'm only on day 10 of Champix (and day two without smoking) and I've had no side effects.

This is twilight zone worthy.  LOL

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline aztecan

« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2007, 08:55:47 am »
Hey Daniel,

I agree, it is surreal. I was amazed a how well Chantix (Champix) controlled the cravings.

For the record, I am no longer taking it. But I did take it for six months, because of Sustiva.

I managed to go through the entire AMG 07 in San Francisco, being surrounded by smokers, even going to the clubs and drinking, without smoking.

If I can do it, I know you can. Just don't try to stop taking Champix early. Go through the entire course of the medication. Those who stop early usually relapse, although one member here did it without a problem.

Hang in there.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2007, 04:35:34 pm »
Thanks Mark,

Funny, but I was just talking about this with my psychotherapist this morning and he said that not everyone needs to go beyond four weeks - that the drug will have reached its maximum effectiveness on the brain by that point. I'll keep an open mind about that and see how things progress.

Daniel

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2007, 02:24:09 pm »
"It’s possible that you might slip up and smoke while taking CHANTIX. If you do, you can stay on CHANTIX and keep trying to quit."

And so I will. On my eighth day of not smoking . . . CRASH!

*grumble grumble*

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline bear60

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2007, 11:49:22 am »
I thought Chantix made cigarettes TASTE bad........? How is it possible to smoke while on Chantix.

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2007, 12:51:09 pm »
All cigarettes taste bad Bear, but that never stopped me from lighting up. That’s the insanity part of this addiction.

I've been smoking for about 35 years since I was 14. Maybe I'm just a hopeless case, but I am NOT giving up on trying to stay stopped again, no matter how many times I might slip. I did it for 12 years and I can do it again.

Daniel

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.