Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:20:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 712
Total: 713

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Cymbalta Anyone?  (Read 6859 times)

Offline tednlou2

Cymbalta Anyone?
« on: February 09, 2012, 12:58:55 am »
Does anyone have knowledge about Cymbalta?  I have a prescription for this, but haven't started it yet.  I've hesitated to start, because I was told this depression med may cause issues with the HIV regimen I've chosen to use--Truvada, Reyataz, and Norvir.  I think Norvir is the potential problem?? 

Does anyone know whether this possible interaction is really all that common?  What depression meds would go best with this regimen?  I suppose it isn't something I should even worry about now, since I'm not set to start HIV meds just yet.  And, given the rate at which many usually have to switch depression meds, I may already be looking for another by the time I do begin HAART. 

I also have questions about the Cymbalta commercials.  They mention liver problems/failure/deaths a few times in the ad.  I realize they have to say that, even if this only happened to a couple people.  But, I don't remember seeing this in ads for other depression meds.  I've tried to find info on just how common the liver issues occur in those taking Cymbalta, but haven't been able to find good info.  Cymbalta is now FDA approved for pain relief, which would be another benefit for me, since I have a lot of back problems before and after having back surgery.  They are now running ads for pain relief where they never mention depression. 

Offline james3000

Re: Cymbalta Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 12:23:34 pm »
I am on Cymbalta No-one mentioned drug interaction to me.

Someone I know was on it for PN they were on a very high dose and their vision went blurry but it does mention that in side effects and went back to normal when they stopped taking it.

I have had no side effects.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 01:41:32 pm »
I have a prescription for this, but haven't started it yet.  I've hesitated to start, because I was told this depression med may cause issues with the HIV regimen I've chosen to use--Truvada, Reyataz, and Norvir.  I think Norvir is the potential problem??

Who told you this?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 03:02:01 pm »
Tedderz,

Cymbalta has no documented interactions with those meds. 

I took that shit for a short while.  Hated it with a passion.  It made me totally numb and indifferent to everything around me (I even started having some serious suicidal thoughts -- can't say for sure that it was caused by the medication itself, but it is something I had not experienced before or ever since I stopped taking it).  It was my first and last experience with anti depressants. 
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 03:15:49 pm »
I took it for a while maybe six years ago, but only for 6-8 months. That was at the same time I first had high blood pressure issues so they had me go off of it to eliminate that as a cause (it wasn't the cause). However, unlike Rev. Moon, I had no side effects from it, but it also didn't help me with depression/anxiety either. I could still function sexually with it so that was fine.

All of these things have wildly different effects in every body that it's almost not worth discussing. You just take it, give it a try for a handful of months, and then it's either working or it isn't. If not move on to something else.

After Cymbalta I completely gave up on any and all anti-depressants. I think it was my sixth one I tried in as many years and nothing ever helped.

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 06:12:54 pm »
After Cymbalta I completely gave up on any and all anti-depressants. I think it was my sixth one I tried in as many years and nothing ever helped.

I can relate.

My experience on Cymbalta was that is made my throat feel like it was constricted, and it was definitely hard to swallow.  Very weird.  I couldn't function sexually. 

Your mileage may vary.

Almost every drug advertisement seems to warn of liver problems and "rare, but serious, side-effects".   Hard to know how much stock to put in that statement. 

"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 11:11:03 pm »
Who told you this?

That would be the HIV pharmacist at the HIV clinic I go to.  The same woman who told me she was sure I had a false-positive and was sure I was actually negative.  And, the same woman who made a remark that HIV is what happens when you live on the edge--or something like that.  It was hurtful. 

It sounds like the info she gave me is incorrect, from the responses.  I have no idea why I continue to listen to this woman.  She doesn't fill prescriptions like one would think.  She counsels patients on their meds.  I really need to begin looking for a private practice doc.  I stayed after getting insurance, because I felt I was now able to repay the free care I got when I didn't have insurance. 

I will just start it and see how well it works.  I'm trying to take the depression/anxiety issues more seriously and deal with them like any medical problem, instead of half-assing it.  I got a new therapist who sees many HIV poz patients.  So far, he seems great and the type who will actually work on cognitive behavior techniques.  Thanks for the replies. 

Modified:

By the way, I intend to start taking advantage of the good info in this forum.  I should have been using this forum from day one. 
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 11:20:23 pm by tednlou2 »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 11:19:59 pm »
I have no idea why I continue to listen to this woman.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 05:20:01 am »
Everyone reacts to anti-depressants differently. As Philicia said, you take it for a few months to see if it is efficacious.  If not, try something else.  They can be very helpful for persons such as yourself who are dealing head-on with depression. 

I've been taking Wellbutrin for a few years.  Not so much now because of depression, just to keep balanced.  I actually started it to quit smoking, but it didn't work for that issue.  It did seem to help me feel a bit more "up," not high, but just a bit better mood wise, so I stuck with it.

I would definitely give the Cymbalta a try and see if it helps.  Remember not to look for instant results.  Anti-depressants always take 6-8 weeks to build up and show results.  Good luck!  Glad you're in therapy now also.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline TexasPOZ

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 04:33:46 am »
As far as drug interactions go, that is something to discuss with your doctor or pharmacist. I took Cymbalta for a couple of years, and it did help my depression. I was on Norvir at the time, and my doctor and pharmacist never advised me of any potential drug interactions. For me Cymbalta did nothing for my pain. But everyone is different, he may work for you. I'd say give it a try. That's the only way you'll know for sure. Good luck.

Offline FD312361

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 03:08:21 pm »
I am currently on Cymbalta 60 mg .  It does help with my pain.  it makes me sleepy though. and I have had no serious side affects.  I also am on Paxil, and Lorazapam.  I do believe that the statin I'm on is affecting me though. 
Fred

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.