Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:43:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 351
Total: 353

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Watching a 6 year old  (Read 2579 times)

Offline wolfter

Watching a 6 year old
« on: March 14, 2011, 09:07:36 pm »
Man, have I forgot what it's like to take care of a child.  My sister left for a business trip this week and her husband is in Afghanistan so she asked me to stay at her house and watch JC for the week.  Only one day in, and I'm not loving it as much as I should.  He calls me Uncle Reg because he can't pronounce my name correctly.  A little while ago he asked if we were going to eat anything and I told him yeah, go fix something.  He just looked at me said; "I'm only 6".

I went to the freezer and expected to find a variety of 5 minute microwave meals.  NONE!  I convinced him that hot dogs and mac and cheese are a special treat.  Guess I'll have to prepare actual meals the rest of the week.  Then according to the list, I'm supposed to pack his lunch.  No instructions on what to pack though.  I didn't even think moms even did that any longer.  I'm hoping he'll just accept cash instead and buy lunch the old fashioned way.

It's after 9:00 now and am wondering what time kids to bed these days.  I guess I'll just take his word for it and see how it goes.  He did manage to get a bath after he explained that I had to draw the bath water cause he's only 6. I suppose he's going to throw that in my face all week when he wants something....lol
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
Re: Watching a 6 year old
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 10:02:36 pm »
You'll start knowing when he's trying to pull the wool over your eyes. Heck, after y'all get used to each other, he may even confess.... :D
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline wolfter

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 11:49:17 pm »
I was quite surprised.  He simply informed me it was bedtime, said goodnight and didn't ask for any assistance at all.  He did inform me I have to wake him up at exactly 6:40 a.m.  I sure hope he's a cereal breakfast type of child on school days.

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 07:56:35 am »
Do kids still play with Legos?  Those were my favorite along with my collection of Hotwheels.  Heck, I would still build stuff with those Lego blocks if I had some.  Enjoy your week with the youngster !!

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 08:03:41 pm »
Ah, matching clever with a young kid.  It is never dull that's for sure!

:D
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline wolfter

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 07:00:42 am »
We've settled into our nice little routine.  I have to give a shout out to Betty Crocker.  I went to the grocery yesterday and they now have those complete meals in a box.  At least he got a home cooked meal.  I was going to order pizza and he informed me that he's not allowed to have it because of excess carbs.  WTF??? 

The one thing I did falter on was the doggie issue.  He informed me that his mom said it was okay if Ms Lily slept with him in the bed.  I didn't bother to tell him that according to the sister Manifesto, item 16 reads; "I normally don't allow animals in the house, but since you're doing me a great favor, it'll be OK just please don't allow her on the furniture". 

And this item still is amusing me.  If an emergency happens and you're unable to reach me, call 911 and continue to call my cell.  I'm so glad she clarified what to do in an emergency.  I'm not sure if this speaks more about her or me.....lol 

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 08:29:01 pm »
You sound like you're doing a splendid job....

He's going to want to stay with you more often...do they live far away?
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline wolfter

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 09:55:23 pm »
They recently moved close to me from North Carolina.  This child was a blessing and born later when she was pushing 40.  She had a cancerous "girl part" excuse my lack of the terminology and was going in for treatment and was infomred she was pregnant.  They recommended termination and she refused.  They saiid her life was at risk if she didn't and I was the first person she always calls for advice.  Both are doing well and I'm glad she risked it.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.