Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:04:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 229
Total: 230

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Liberal Newsweek article  (Read 11236 times)

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
Liberal Newsweek article
« on: September 28, 2013, 07:56:54 pm »
                      Finally, Matt Patterson and Newsweek speak out about Obama.
                            This is timely and tough.  As many of you know, Newsweek has a reputation for being extremely liberal. The fact that their editor  saw fit to print the following article about Obama and the one that appears in the latest Newsweek, makes this a truly amazing event, and a news story in and of itself.  At last, the truth about our President and his agenda are starting to trickle through the protective wall built around him by the liberal media....

______________________________________________________________
                    I Too Have Become Disillusioned
                    By Matt Patterson (Newsweek Columnist  Opinion Writer)

Years from now, historians may regard the 2008 election of
                               Barack Obama as an inscrutable and disturbing                 the result of a baffling breed of mass hysteria akin perhaps to the
 witch craze of the Middle Ages. How, they will wonder, did a man                    so devoid of professional accomplishment beguile so many into                       thinking he could manage the world's largest economy, direct                            the world's most powerful military, execute the world's most                      consequential job?

Imagine a future historian examining Obama's pre-presidential
                             ushered into and through the Ivy League, despite  unmarkable  grades and test scores along the way; a cushy non-job as a       "community organizer;" a brief career as a state legislator                                devoid of legislative achievement (and in fact nearly devoid                                of his attention, less often did he vote "present"); and finally                            an unaccomplished single term in the United States Senate,                              the entirety of which was devoted to his presidential ambitions.

He left no academic legacy in academia, authored no signature
legislation as a legislator. And then there is the matter of is
                                  troubling associations: the white-hating, America-loathing
                          preacher who for decades served as Obama's "spiritual mentor;"
                         a real-life, actual terrorist who served as Obama's colleague and
                       political sponsor. It is easy to imagine a future historian looking at
                       it all and asking: how on Earth was such a man elected president?

Not content to wait for history, the incomparable Norman Podhoretz
addressed the question recently in the Wall Street Journal:
                     To be sure, no white candidate who had close associations with an
outspoken hater of America like Jeremiah Wright and an unrepentant
                     terrorist like Bill Ayers, would have lasted a single day. But because
                       Mr. Obama was black, and therefore entitled in the eyes of liberal
                          Dom to have hung out with protesters against various American
                       injustices, even if they were 'a bit' extreme, he was given a pass.
Let that sink in: Obama was given a pass - held to a lower standar- because of the color of his skin.

Podhoretz continues: And in any case, what did such ancient  history matter when he was also so articulate and elegant and
                       (as he himself had said) "non-threatening," all of which gave him
                       a fighting chance to become the first black president and thereby
                                                  to lay the curse of racism to rest?

Podhoretz puts his finger, I think, on the animating pulse of the
                         Obama phenomenon - affirmative action. Not in the legal sense,
                            of course. But certainly in the motivating sentiment behind all
                               affirmative action laws and regulations, which are designed
primarily to make white people, and especially white liberals,   feel good about themselves.

Unfortunately, minorities often suffer so that whites can pat
                                themselves on the back. Liberals routinely admit minorities
                                to schools for which they are not qualified, yet take no
                                 responsibility for the inevitable poor performance and high drop-out rates which follow. Liberals don't care if these
minority students fail; liberals aren't around to witness the                                emotional devastation and deflated self-esteem resulting
                          from the racist policy that is affirmative action. Yes, racist.
Holding someone to a separate standard merely because  of the color of his skin - that's affirmative action in a nutshell, and if that isn't racism, then nothing is.

And that is what America did to Obama. True, Obama
                                   himself was never troubled by his lack of achievements,
                                   but why would he be? As many have noted, Obama was
                                          told he was good enough for Columbia despite
                                     undistinguished grades at Occidental; he was told he
                                   was good enough for the US Senate despite a mediocre
                                   record in Illinois; he was told he was good enough to be
                                         president despite no record at all in the Senate.
                                 All his life, every step of the way, Obama was told he was
                                  good enough for the next step, in spite of ample evidence
                                                                   to the contrary.

What could this breed if not the sort of empty narcissism
                                 on display every time Obama speaks? In 2008, many who
                                 agreed that he lacked executive qualifications nonetheless
                                     raved about Obama's oratory skills, intellect, and cool
                                        character. Those people conservatives included -
                                                  ought now to be deeply embarrassed.

The man thinks and speaks in the hoariest of clichs, and
                              that's when he has his Teleprompters in front of him;   when
                                  the prompter is absent he can barely think or speak at all.
                                     Not one original idea has ever issued from his mouth -
                                    it's all warmed-over Marxism of the kind that has failed
                                    over and over again for 100 years. (An example is his
                                      2012 campaign speeches which are almost word for
                                                         word his 2008 speeches)

And what about his character? Obama is constantly
                                     blaming anything and everything else for his troubles.
                                        Bush did it; it was bad luck; I inherited this mess.
                                  Remember, he wanted the job, campaigned for the task.
                                        It is embarrassing to see a president so willing to
                                        advertise his own powerlessness, so comfortable
                                    with his own incompetence. (The other day he actually
                                    came out and said no one could have done anything to
                                   get our economy and country back on track). But really,
                                       what were we to expect? The man has never been
                                     responsible for anything, so how do we expect him to
                                                              act responsibly?

In short: our president is a small-minded man, with
                                      neither the temperament nor the intellect to handle
                                      his job. When you understand that, and only when
                                   you understand that, will the current erosion of liberty
                                     and prosperity make sense. It could not have gone
                                     otherwise with such an impostor in the Oval Office.

is  this  tough love from his  "liberal " friends
or  just  finally playing  the  record  as it  is

Nick

sorry  for the screwed up  format  it  didn"t copy  as pritnted

remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
Re: Liberal Newsweek article
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 08:08:14 pm »
Are you serious Nick?  This sounds like a bad, i.e. typical, political ad.  And -- BTW -- I don't find Newsweek to be all that "liberal".  It is clearly a bit more to the right than, say, Time.

I find the article to, mainly, rehashed rubbish.

Mike

edited to add:  While I would have preferred Hillary back in 2008 -- she certainly had more experience -- I find this article, upon a second read, to be even more of a "sore loser", "I can't believe "they" got someone in the WH" sort of screech.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 08:13:37 pm by bocker3 »

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 08:18:06 pm »
You can't be serious that this is a liberal writer.  This reads like something right out of the Heritage Foundation or Faux News.  A whole lot of sour grapes, with nothing constructive to add to anything.

I could not help notice the "code-speak", using "affirmative action", as opposed to just saying he is also black and that's the REAL reason why he should not be president.

Joe

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 08:28:39 pm »
I am convinced history will be kind to President Obama and rightfully so . Our President has accomplished wonderful things for the middleclass and working poor .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 08:31:54 pm »
I am convinced history will be kind to President Obama and rightfully so . Our President has accomplished wonderful things for the middleclass and working poor .

Damn right they will, considering all he has done, including the ACA, which I believe will become as important as Social Security and Medicare.  Not to mention what he has done for minorities, like some of us.

Personally, I think this article is in extremely bad taste and has no business being on this site.  Just because some people want to propagate the hate, doesn't mean we have to support it.

Joe
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 08:34:13 pm by killfoile »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 08:37:53 pm »
I wish people would go back and read what the sentiment was when social security was being introduced to America . That history reads just about word for word as the fear mongering going on today .

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 10:49:26 pm »
I thought Sean Hannity wrote this article..lol. What experience did Bush have?  Texas governors don't have much power, compared to others.  He failed at every business.  I just don't even get the criticism. 

Obama will be viewed as one of the best presidents in history.  Yes, I am biased, but his accomplishments speak for themselves.  He, with a great team, brought the economy back for the verge of another depression.  Add in financial reforms.  We needed more, but we get what we get I guess.  Student loan reform.  Bin Laden dead.  Speaking to the Iranian prez for first time in 3 decades.  So many gay rights reforms.  The list goes on and on.  No REAL scandal thus far. 

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/affirmative.asp

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 05:47:45 am »

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/p/Matt-Patterson-Post.htm#.Ukd41BC2Zjk

Ray

Thanks Ray.

How about some "information literacy" folks.

This editorial was published on the conversative website "The American Thinker" over two years ago in 2011... 

NOT IN NEWSWEEK.  NOT IN THE WASHINGTON POST.

By the way, Newsweek barely exists, Tina Brown got a tidy sum to care for this dying legend on life-support.  As is her way, she continued her narcissistic self-promotion and fumbled completely in her task. 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 05:50:30 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline buginme2

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 08:11:18 am »
Rubbish
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 09:14:38 am »

I think this article is in extremely bad taste and has no business being on this site. 

Joe

Yes! can we please start the censoring of anything that goes against the King  ::)
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline buginme2

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 12:37:49 pm »
Yes! can we please start the censoring of anything that goes against the King  ::)

Um, it's "dear leader"
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 01:21:53 pm »
this  article  was sent to me by a  very  conservative  friend...  one of the  first  wave of  cuban  refugees.....  this is the  sort of.. "information"  that is  widely  circulated in the  local hispanic  community..... "free  speech"   can be  pretty  harsh
and  this  opinion is  pretty  harsh    dont have  to  believe it  .. can  not  listen to it..can  even  condemn it  two  ways from sunday   ..   cant  stop  people  from  doing it     should  at least  know  who and  why they are  saying  these  things

BTW  minimizing /dismissing the  source  wont  help  either.... once it  gets  legs  there  will  always be  support  for  far  reach  article/blogs/papers/ facebook rants

Nick

Offline mecch

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 04:06:02 pm »
We didn't dismiss the source.  We named it! 

It is not a "Newsweek Article".  The editors of newsweek NEVER PUBLISHED IT, despite what you said. 

And this thread title is misleading, too.

Secondly, it was published over two years ago.

Third, you mention the "latest Newsweek" as having another editorial, I guess, but provide no link to it.

Yeah, that aside, people everywhere on the political spectrum from far right to far left have plenty of opportunity on the Internet to spread their gospel.  So what.  What's new?

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline bocker3

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 05:54:44 pm »
this  article  was sent to me by a  very  conservative  friend...  one of the  first  wave of  cuban  refugees.....  this is the  sort of.. "information"  that is  widely  circulated in the  local hispanic  community..... "free  speech"   can be  pretty  harsh
and  this  opinion is  pretty  harsh    dont have  to  believe it  .. can  not  listen to it..can  even  condemn it  two  ways from sunday   ..   cant  stop  people  from  doing it     should  at least  know  who and  why they are  saying  these  things

BTW  minimizing /dismissing the  source  wont  help  either.... once it  gets  legs  there  will  always be  support  for  far  reach  article/blogs/papers/ facebook rants

Nick

Nick --

My concern was the way YOU introduced it -- seemingly as gospel.  Now we see that you were simply passing something on without verifying it -- which, I suppose, supports your point about things "having legs".
However -- there is really nothing new here -- there are no "new legs" at all.  people have been saying this shit about Obama since he announced back in 2006/7.  You say it is "widely circulated in the Hispanic community", yet that block of voters went overwhelmingly for Obama -- TWICE.  Much like Bush II -- Obama won, twice, and folks just need to get over it.
Now -- as you know, I am not as far left as most on this site, but, while there are a number of things I think he did poorly -- I do think Obama has a number of things for which history will reward him.  I am not on the "best president ever" bandwagon, but I can think of a number much worse, in my lifetime alone.
So -- I will denounce this for what it is -- RACIST BILE.  I'm not for banning it from this site, but I'm disappointed that someone I respect would present it here as the unvarnished truth -- AND as something NEW.

Mike

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2013, 06:17:54 pm »
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Nicks introduction a copy paste as well , for some reason it doesn't look like he composed it . It may well be his views for all I know but I didn't think he wrote the introduction . Am I right or wrong Mr. Nick ? .

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2013, 06:54:19 pm »
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Nicks introduction a copy paste as well , for some reason it doesn't look like he composed it . It may well be his views for all I know but I didn't think he wrote the introduction . Am I right or wrong Mr. Nick ? .
I was confused too but after reading all of the links I do believe it was a copy and paste. Can't remember which one of the links I read his opening from. sorry.

too tired to look tonight.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 06:56:32 pm by mitch777 »
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2013, 08:36:26 pm »
Good catch Jeff / Mitch

Sorry for jumping to a wrong conclusion Nick! 

What was your motivation for posting though? 
Mike

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2013, 09:17:22 am »

... Personally, I think this article is in extremely bad taste and has no business being on this site.  Just because some people want to propagate the hate, doesn't mean we have to support it.

Joe

Will,

I never mentioned censoring anything and I don't appreciate you trying to put words in my mouth.

Joe

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2013, 06:19:16 pm »
My intent  was  sort  of "Devils  Advocate"         virtually all of it  was  cut and paste  .I  guess a little more  background  would have helped...  I  have  several  very  good  friends  about my age  who  were  from the  first  wave of  Cubans to  come here in the early  60s...   most of them  very Middle of the  road  about  Politics...they  are  very  disturbed by the  type of  "information"   that is routinely  pushed  in the  local  spanish  community...newspapers....many of the  community are   "undocumented"  or  second generation  spanish speakers... the  older Cuban  refugees see this  type of  information as the  sort of thing that  started  the  "revolution" in Cuba ....  promising  reforms/services/ and other  advantages  if  you just  get rid of the  current regime....     thought  that  History was relevant       "revolution" in Cuba didnt work  so  hot  for those  left  behind      ...the  tone  and "facts"  in the  article  are  appealing to  those  not  versed in American politics

have  no idea  why the  "polls"  show  Hispanics seem to  vote  for  Dems   around here they  seem to  not  vote

Nick;;

The results illustrate the difficulty in getting those who are young, unregistered and disconnected from the political process to the polls,” Gromer Jeffers, Jr. writes in an analysis for the Dallas Morning News.

It’s a problem reflected nationally.

A record 23.7 million Latinos were eligible to vote last year, according to the Pew Hispanic Center -- a 22 percent increase over the 2008 election.

But voter turnout continued to disappoint. Only 48 percent of eligible Latinos voters cast ballots in 2012, according to figures released last month by the Census Bureau -- well behind blacks (66.2 percent) and non-Hispanic whites (64.1 percent).

Texas feels the problem of low voter turnout more acutely than most. Latinos account for 38 percent of Texas’ population, but don’t routinely show up to the polls in high numbers

« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 06:40:57 pm by pozniceguy »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2013, 07:12:12 pm »
I think its fair to say there may be a revolution one day when people get sick and realize all of their hopes , dreams and aspirations for their family's have been Hijacked and sold wholesale to the top wealthy 1 % .

We are on the fast track to being a society that works below a living wage where we cant afford to send kids to college or provide health care and basic needs .

Conservatives have the gall to point to health care reform as the reason peoples hours are getting cut back to 29 working hours a week when what we really need is regulation so that profitable company's are not allowed to employ part time work just to evade paying part of an insurance policy or a living wage .

I think capitalist and conservatives are simply scared of a workers bill of rights being passed one day and having to move to the top 10 % instead of the 1 % they enjoy now .       
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2013, 07:18:42 pm »
Yep, in a nutshell.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2013, 08:54:14 pm »
well said Jeff. it's too bad that the people we elect can't get that simple message across.

Offline mecch

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2013, 01:04:39 am »
As the Oracle says to Neo: Ohh, what's really going to bake your noodle later on is.....

That the most competitive economies have full social safety nets and advanced standards of living.   With the exception of the US. 

Its a crock o shit that the US economy can't afford health care, welfare (in such forms as food stamps, pre-school, etc.), living wages, secure retirement, modern infrastructures and so on and so on. 

Its a challenge for the culture more than its a challenge for the economy...  It's a culture war.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2013, 08:00:55 am »
As the Oracle says to Neo: Ohh, what's really going to bake your noodle later on is.....

That the most competitive economies have full social safety nets and advanced standards of living.   With the exception of the US. 

Its a crock o shit that the US economy can't afford health care, welfare (in such forms as food stamps, pre-school, etc.), living wages, secure retirement, modern infrastructures and so on and so on. 

Its a challenge for the culture more than its a challenge for the economy...  It's a culture war.

Show me ONE with a stronger economy than the US?  It is this crock thinking plus the opposite end from the Tea Party that is destroying this country.  Yes, we can afford a safety net -- one better than we have, but we need to look at where we are spending and make SMARTER choices.  Getting more revenue alone isn't going to solve it. 
Here is a REAL example of how taxes work here:
I redid our taxes for 2012, to file jointly.  Here is what I saw when I had our number side by side.  I make ~4x (maybe a little more) what Sid makes, but even after taking all my itemized deductions, I paid over 16x more federal tax.
Now, I'm not saying that taxes don't need to rise at the upper end, I think they do -- but YOU CAN'T FOCUS ONLY ON REVENUE.  Just like the Teabaggers CAN'T FOCUS ONLY ON SPENDING.  We need to be smart -- because if we aren't then even reasonable, moderate, middle of the roaders, are not going to allow taxes to rise or spending to be cut.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2013, 09:53:11 am »
Broken record here .... Many of the people that are in need of the safety net are people who are the working poor , if employers were regulated properly then we would not have so many people in need of assistance . If employers were to pay a living wage many of these issues would vanish overnight .

If you haven't noticed regulation is a dirty word that politicians cant say because corporate interest is what pays for political campaigns .

Its frustrating to me when people refuse to realize that the people we labor for are better suited to solve these social problems than government if only they did the right thing and spread the mega profits they are making into the work force before huge CEO bonuses and shareholders get a bite out of it .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline bocker3

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2013, 05:02:25 pm »
Broken record here .... Many of the people that are in need of the safety net are people who are the working poor , if employers were regulated properly then we would not have so many people in need of assistance . If employers were to pay a living wage many of these issues would vanish overnight .

I agree, in part, with this.  Wages have, at best, stagnated and probably, for many, reversed.  However simply mandating a "living wage" is too simple a solution.  First -- who decides what that is?  What should a "living wage" provide for -- necessities like housing, food, healthcare?  many might say, college, a few "luxuries" like cable, cell phones, etc....??  "Living wage" is nebulous.
Second -- what has always happened when wages have risen (anyone remember those times)??  Inflation -- so people make more and then companies start charging more for things (supply & demand), so the living wage must go up, which sends inflation higher, etc, etc.
So -- while I agree that this must be addressed, I don't see it as simply regulating business to pay more.  I don't have an answer - hopefully smarter folks than I could help solve it however.  Certainly not the current crop of "leaders" in Washington though.

If you haven't noticed regulation is a dirty word that politicians cant say because corporate interest is what pays for political campaigns .

Oh come now -- politicians are very happy to regulate things -- who we can marry, where/when/if one can terminate a pregnancy, which prayers are "good" prayers........  Don't you read the papers??

Mike

Offline mitch777

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2013, 05:15:05 pm »

Its frustrating to me when people refuse to realize that the people we labor for are better suited to solve these social problems than government if only they did the right thing and spread the mega profits they are making into the work force before huge CEO bonuses and shareholders get a bite out of it .

Words of wisdom.

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2013, 06:43:33 pm »
thnx  for the your  comments  guys...I  didn't intend to start some kind of  "whats good  for the  country"   match....but was  concerned  that a group  of  very  well "integrated Hispanics"    (  the  Cubans here in Dallas...mostly  professionals) see this "say  anything you want to  get  elected process "as  alarming .  Free speech like all  privilege  can be  easily  abused.    ...most of the  "undocumented"  come from places  where  government is  not  trusted  or  assumed to be so  corrupt that  there is an underground "government"  that speaks  the  "truth to common people"  my  friends  believe  this is what is  being exploited ...  I  tend to agree..hard to  find  data  but plenty of examples on the  news  everyday

like  Mike  said  we can  have  lots of the things we want if  we are  smart  and  clear thinking about what we commit to   support

to  give a few  hot button  examples   "abortion  rules"..  spend nothing to  protect  mothers who  cant  afford or want  children.. let  them  grow up in foster homes  or  live off   social programs     .  spend  hundreds of  thousands  to  treat those  who " cannot  benefit  from further treatment"  (  the  approved  diagnosis used in Hospitals/clinics for  patients  who  do not  respond to  treatment)

Nick

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2013, 11:18:24 pm »

Offline mecch

« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2013, 04:45:10 am »
                      Finally, Matt Patterson and Newsweek speak out about Obama.
                            This is timely and tough.  As many of you know, Newsweek has a reputation for being extremely liberal. The fact that their editor  saw fit to print the following article about Obama and the one that appears in the latest Newsweek, makes this a truly amazing event, and a news story in and of itself.  At last, the truth about our President and his agenda are starting to trickle through the protective wall built around him by the liberal media....

Man, you are tough to understand.  Is this YOUR paragraph and YOUR reason for creating this thread, and posting this tirade, or not?

Now you seem to be backtracking completely, and you posted it to show the current thinking in the Cuban community???   And not your own political viewpoint.  WTF?

How about some clarity of intention, not to mention clear attribution of who is saying what, and for what purpose....

Offline bocker3

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2013, 07:53:13 am »

So -- what is your point?? 

A.  It is from "varied sources" -- clearly suspect just from that little diddy -- let's piece together whatever we want to tell our story.

B.  Apparently these "median males" don't need to eat, but are paying some annual "college" for something??  is that savings for kids?  Loans?  Night classes?

c.  A huge, unaccounted for, difference between 1970 and 2010 is the change from, mainly, single income households to double income households (hence the need for daycare in 2010)

I could go on, but my point is -- yes, wages have stagnated, the cost of living has increased (sometimes of our own accord -- compare the median house size between 1970 and 2010), but I have no idea what you think this is showing.  The only thing that stands out, to me, is the increase in healthcare costs -- but again, given the "varied sources" used to build a graph -- I am not feeling comfortable even taking those numbers as accurate (though, I don't doubt that they are directionally so......).

M

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2013, 08:08:33 am »
That chart from the 70's cant be real because it didn't list Quaalude's as an expense .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2013, 03:37:52 pm »
So -- what is your point?? 

A.  It is from "varied sources" -- clearly suspect just from that little diddy -- let's piece together whatever we want to tell our story.

B.  Apparently these "median males" don't need to eat, but are paying some annual "college" for something??  is that savings for kids?  Loans?  Night classes?

c.  A huge, unaccounted for, difference between 1970 and 2010 is the change from, mainly, single income households to double income households (hence the need for daycare in 2010)

I could go on, but my point is -- yes, wages have stagnated, the cost of living has increased (sometimes of our own accord -- compare the median house size between 1970 and 2010), but I have no idea what you think this is showing.  The only thing that stands out, to me, is the increase in healthcare costs -- but again, given the "varied sources" used to build a graph -- I am not feeling comfortable even taking those numbers as accurate (though, I don't doubt that they are directionally so......).

M

Are you questioning the great Stephen Colbert? Lol.  It says minus household expenses, which would include food. It shows exactly what we already knew.  Men use to be able to take care of an entire family.  Now, many wives not only want to work; they have to work.  I've mentioned this before-- my mom made $10 an hour at G.E. in 1980.  Other family members made $16 an hour at that same time at Cummins Engine.  Now, both of those companies start workers out at $10-$12 an hour. 

I have family members who said they had back surgery, gallbladder surgery, and even stomach stapling, and they said they all paid for it out of pocket.  That seemed so foreign to me.  You could not do that today.  My back surgery was $20k plus.  College costs are out of control.  When I started I.U., I think it was about $4k a year.  That's not the case today.  And, that was 1994.  You're right, wages are stagnant and haven't moved much since 1980.  But, everything else has skyrocketed.  At $10 an hour, our rent was like $170 a month.  Here in Louisville now, you would pay $500 for an apt in a bad neighborhood.  Gas was 68 cents a gallon, or something like that.  People still wanted nice things back then, with 2 cars.  But, a new car was under $5,000, no?  And, family sizes were bigger then.  Today, many delay having kids and don't have as many.  Then, most started families at 18-25.  Without looking at the figures, i would suspect thats moved to 22-30.  Look at the minimum wage.  When I started my real first job in 1992 at D.Q., it was $3.35 an hour.  It has only been a few years that it was raised above $7.  From what I read, it should be at least $11, with others saying closer to $15 to $20.   

I am curious about the college expenses.  Are they talking per semester?  What families pay out on top of loans? So, you're right.  I would like to have more data on these figures. 

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2013, 01:56:57 pm »
Having bedded every South American, Central American and Caribbean nationality, if you are basing your views of "Hispanics" on first wave Cuban immigrants then you are undoubtedly out to lunch.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.