Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:30:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773291
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 697
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 289
Total: 290

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Recently diagnosed positive  (Read 7197 times)

Offline frdfandc

Recently diagnosed positive
« on: April 28, 2011, 12:20:24 am »
Hey everyone. I have a HIV positive friend that suggested that I come here.

I tested positive March 20th after being admitted to the hospital for severe weight loss, lack of strength, unable to eat, unable to keep food down, etc.

All symptoms pointed to be HIV positive, so I was tested.

Anywho, my load count was almost 200,000, and CD4's were at 17, pretty darn low. I was started on Atripla on March 22nd, when I was released from the hospital, along with medications for the pneumonia and thrush in the throat/mouth - cause of me not eating.

Had blood tests done last week on Tuesday, but had to go back to have more blood drawn for the CD4 test. But when getting the order from the Dr. for the 2nd round of blood work, I was told that my viral load was down to 480. Needless to say, I was happy, but the Dr.'s were thrilled to see that it dropped so fast. I have a Dr.'s appoint next Wednesday to go over how treatment has been doing, along with finding what my CD4 count will be, among other things.

I do have to say, that I was devastated at first and very frightened to say anything, but I was able to tell my wife and mom and dad that I was HIV positive the day before being released from the hospital.

My wife tested negative, so that was a huge relief off my chest, but she will go for a final re-test in a few months, just to make sure.

I will also say that the support I have received from family (almost everyone knows) and a few select friends, has been awesome. I'm very fortunate to have people who love me very much, and is willing to do anything to help. Even if it is just to talk.

I will be seeking counseling by myself and with my wife so we can deal with this head on, but I am 100% sure, that this will not affect my outlook on life. Its an unfortunate situation to be in, as we all know, but you have to look to the future and take day by day.

I always say, "You make what your days are". Meaning if you say your going to have a crap day, you will, but if being upbeat and positive about your outlook on life, your days will go much easier.

Here is one thing my dad told me a few days after being diagnosed.

He said "What you have is a serious problem, but it won't kill you, I have a heart issue that could kill me instantly". (He has an irregular heart beat and has a pacemaker/defib unit in his chest wall) "This is something that I will need to be careful about, but not to worry as I will have a long and healthy life"

Offline PosMedStudent

Re: Recently diagnosed positive
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 01:44:09 am »
Hi frdfandc,

Welcome to the forum. I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I was recently diagnosed as well and put on Atripla, which made me feel terribly groggy for the first day, but it's getting better. I hope all the effects will subside soon.

I'm so glad to see that you VL has been reduced. That's a good number. Now you need to focus on your health and make some changes to your lifestyles. I'm sure your CD4 count will improve with time.  You are very lucky that you got all the support from friends and loved ones. That support is worth more than anything else during your difficult time. Your dad is so awesome in a way that really gives you hope, motivation and the strength to move on and over this disease.

I wish you the best and hope all the good things will happen with your next doctor's appointment.

PosMedStudent

Offline frdfandc

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 07:35:06 am »
Thanks Posmed.

Yes, I know I am lucky in this instance with family/friends.

I've always been healthy - active athlete and currently racing mountain bikes - and I am well aware of the changes I need to make.

As for the Atripla, I take it every night at 6pm (I posted this in your original thread) and the first 4-5 day's I had dry mouth, some sleepless nights due to the occasional night sweat, some vivid dreams and the middle of the night WOOD. But as of now, I don't have any of these except for the occasional night sweat, but the occurrence is not often and still the occasional wood.

But with the night sweats, I get hot in bed really easy, and usually sleep in just a pair of underwear. On the other hand, my wife is usually wearing pj pants, long sleeve shirt, and is under 4-5 covers. So the bed does get hot.

I will post my CD4 numbers after I receive them. I'm having trouble waiting to find out what they are. Because until they come up to a good number, I'll be on Bactrim till then.

Offline frdfandc

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 07:46:36 am »
Just had my Dr. appointment with the ID Dr. on Tuesday. Everything is looking good. CD4's are still low - 28, but rising, VL was at 480 2 weeks ago, so I'm going to assume that its lower now.

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 08:02:49 am »
Hi man, welcome to the forums. You seem to have a great attitude and are fortunate to have a great support system. In time things will be just fine. All the best. :)
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 08:20:54 am »
Hey everyone. I have a HIV positive friend that suggested that I come here.

Welcome to the forums! 

Offline frdfandc

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 12:10:24 am »
Just wanted to update my status. Been on Atripla since March.

My last ID visit on 08/31/11 - CD4 - 68, 7.6%, VL undetectable.

The ID is very happy about this. Since my last visit in May, my CD4's have tripled. I'll still need to be on the Bactrim until my CD4's get higher. Probably when it gets closer to 200.

I did develop a slight rash that the ID described as a fungal rash, so I'm using Lotramin in a spray (seems to be working) along with lotion to keep the skin moisturized.

My PCP Dr. has me on fish oil for "elevated" triglycerides, but overall my cholesterol is in good shape. I have put on almost 50 lbs since my diagnosis, and need to drop around 15 or so. Gotta to get back down to the 170's. I feel a tad sluggish this heavy (Not my usual weight).

Other than that, everything is going good.

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 01:02:20 am »
Glad to hear you're doing well. Hang in there buddy.
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline marriedmansam

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 04:13:18 am »
Great to hear that you and your family are doing so well.

June/July 2011- Infected
30 Aug 2011    - First test
31 Aug 2011     - Call to tell me first test was poz

3 Sept 2011       - Joined this forum
5 Sept 2011       - clinic appointment for retest
16 Sept 2011     VL 75 400 CD4 428 and 28%
next appointment  3 Jan 2012
3 Jan 2012          - VL 71 300 CD4 460 and 23%

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.