Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:21:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66329
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 192
Total: 192

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: When will my t-cells go up???  (Read 3487 times)

Offline bubble

• hanging in there.
When will my t-cells go up???
« on: December 12, 2006, 10:51:17 am »
I've been on Kaletra/Truvada for about 13 weeks. Just got bloodwork back yesterday and my VL is still not undetectable but trending down - almost there at 117 from 75,000 when i first started... but my tcells are not going up at all. they actually dropped 20 points which i know is not significant but i would obviously like to see them rising. Doc says it take months for them to rebound after the virus is suppressed. Is this what most people are finding? We live in an age of instant gratification. Why can't I get it from the meds??
diagnosed 03/08/05
reluctantly started my first combo (Kaletra/Truvada) on 09/28/06 cause my tcells were dropping and vl increasing.
01/26/07 - undetectable!
12/01/08 - started new combo because of problems with Kaletra. Now on Truvada/Isentress.
Still undetectable. :)

Offline JohnOso

Re: When will my t-cells go up???
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 04:07:22 pm »
Bubble,

My doctor told me that when the virus is suppressed, the body's initial reaction is to surge forward with CD4 cells.  Kind of like a car that has the accelerator gunned and the brakes applied simultaneously.  When the brakes are released (virus stopped), then the natural reaction is for the car to take off quickly (CD4 production).

My CD4 count was very, very low when I started HAART, so there was an initial surge (13 to 130's), then by my next draw it was back to 80.  It's trending upward now, but still at a frustratingly slow pace.

The main thing is that you seem to be knocking the virus on it ass (per your VL numbers).  Also remember that the CD4 count may vary at any given moment.  A more stable indicator over time might be the CD4%.

Remember, you're doing what you need to be doing.  Take your meds, live a healthy lifestyle, and don't forget to take care of yourself mentally.  Popping your pills every day is a cakewalk compared to keeping everything else in balance, my friend.

No instant gratification here dude.

John
(who feels your pain)

Offline bubble

• hanging in there.
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 11:19:18 am »
thanks for the words. i just thought it would happen faster - seems like people who go on meds early are better off these days or at least are able to maintain higer tcells. i will focus on the % next time but don't know what it was actually this time. i know we should all be thankful that we even have meds these days...
diagnosed 03/08/05
reluctantly started my first combo (Kaletra/Truvada) on 09/28/06 cause my tcells were dropping and vl increasing.
01/26/07 - undetectable!
12/01/08 - started new combo because of problems with Kaletra. Now on Truvada/Isentress.
Still undetectable. :)

SFscruff

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 11:44:15 am »
Greetings from a classic I.N.R. - Immunological Non-Responder.  There's a number of us who have had complete HIV suppression on H.A.A.R.T. but our immune systems have not responded with an outpouring of CD4's.  Medscape.com has a few excellent medical journal articles reporting longitudinal studies looking at I.N.R's and our 'situation.'  My CD4 nadir was 12 in 1998 when I started H.A.A.R.T. and my CD4 count has increased and vacillated, but never has reached over 250. 

In one sense I am fortunate as I haven't had any immune reconstruction syndrome effects, but still, I'm trying hard not to be a numbers-queen and look at a marginal CD4 count as failure.  I started in 1998 with a P.I. based regimen, and once my viral load was completely suppressed a few months later, switched to a reverse transcriptase inhibitor based regimen to keep the P.I. option open down the road.  When I get my quarterly labs done, I try to focus on the Non-Detectible viral load, and just roll my eyes at the low CD4 count.  I stay on PCP prophylaxis even when my CD4s crawl over the 200 mark, because they are sure to drop back down into the danger zone.  I've chosen to not take pharmaceutical interventions to try and increase CD4 counts as I'm a bit leery of inducing my calm immune system to reactivate.

I guess I just feel lucky that I'm keeping my viral load suppressed and if my CD4s increase, well, that's just a little icing on the proverbial cake. 

Good luck and don't get discouraged, easy for me to say, I know...

Darin 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.