Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:22:30 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37639
  • Latest: Glassxj
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773168
  • Total Topics: 66331
  • Online Today: 291
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 267
Total: 267

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Atripla and Drug Tests  (Read 7112 times)

Offline tokyodecadence

• A one room disco.
Atripla and Drug Tests
« on: August 12, 2009, 11:39:30 pm »
Hello everyone! Quick question.

Today I had an interview/ conditional job offer/ drug screening for a second job. Well *after* (of course) I took the urine test, I thought to look up info on what effects Atripla had on drug tests, and discovered that Atripla can sometimes produce false positives. This is the first time I've had to take a drug test since I began my meds, and didn't even know to do that (but the nurse never asked either, she gave me a receipt and told me to keep it in the event that I needed to list any current medications, that's when it clicked). After my interview, I immediately went to my doctor's office to obtain a confirmatory note that I'm on meds that could produce a false positive (of course while not naming the medicine or what it's for, I'm not dumb). However, my question is simply one of whether or not I should be worried about my results. I've read in some of my research today that *older* tests produce false positives, but newer ones do not. I've also read that if a positive occurs, then they sample is tested again in a different manner, to see if the positive remains. Does anyone have any experience with this? I was thinking about calling the company tomorrow morning (they give you all of the info to contact them), and asking about the types of tests done on the sample, but should I do so? Or should I just wait and see? I'm going to pick up my letter tomorrow, even if I don't necessarily need it immediately, it'll be nice to have on the ready. Any info will be appreciated! Thanks!

It should be stated that I do not do drugs of any sort, nor do I engage in heavy drinking. So that I'm not the least bit concerned about. :)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 11:50:13 pm by toykoDecadence »
[.Fodão.]

Offline skeebo1969

Re: Atripla and Drug Tests
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 06:17:17 am »

I was in your shoes a few years ago.  Did you list Atripla as one of the drugs you take?  If so they will do a certain tests that looks for particular cannaboids that are present when you smoke the herb.  I have heard stories of people producing false positives off of Sustiva, but know a few people including myself who went through clean (and I was even smoking at the time).   

I wouldn't worry about it, before they report anything they will contact you immediately telling of any problems with the test.  Usually a doctor will do this and discuss with you any medications you are taking.  If this were to happen (doubt it will) you can tell him of the possibilities that the sustiva in your combo could be the culprit.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline webontheweb

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 09:18:27 am »
Not knowing how strict every company is with researching.  I know for me, I told them that I was on an antidepressant and they said, " Oh, we'll have to take you off the random drug test list"  Easy as pie.
Getting a note from a doctor is good, but I do believe that there are a wide range of innocent drugs that would affect a drug screen and I would jsut say that I was on one of those if I was not comfortable disclosing the real reason.
Just an idea

Offline tokyodecadence

• A one room disco.
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 11:18:47 am »
Well as I said, I didn't even think to tell them about my medication, until I actually looked it up after I took the drug test. I haven't needed to take one since I've been on meds, so I didn't know. So it's a tad late for that :p
Not knowing how strict every company is with researching.  I know for me, I told them that I was on an antidepressant and they said, " Oh, we'll have to take you off the random drug test list"  Easy as pie.
Getting a note from a doctor is good, but I do believe that there are a wide range of innocent drugs that would affect a drug screen and I would jsut say that I was on one of those if I was not comfortable disclosing the real reason.
Just an idea
Also, this isn't a random drug testing, it a pre-employment drug testing, so there wouldn't really be a list. The company only does drug tests for employment, and as protocol for an accident claim. I dug up the customer service number, so I'm going to call today just to ask for any information they can give me. Hopefully I can get some sort of info on the kind of tests used and go from there.
[.Fodão.]

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 11:27:21 am »
Well as I said, I didn't even think to tell them about my medication, until I actually looked it up after I took the drug test. I haven't needed to take one since I've been on meds, so I didn't know. So it's a tad late for that :p Also, this isn't a random drug testing, it a pre-employment drug testing, so there wouldn't really be a list. The company only does drug tests for employment, and as protocol for an accident claim. I dug up the customer service number, so I'm going to call today just to ask for any information they can give me. Hopefully I can get some sort of info on the kind of tests used and go from there.

When I worked for the County 12 yrs. ago, I had to take those drug test until they found out I was on all of these Meds, then, they told me, not to worry about it anymore, after I listed all of them, and was NEVER ask to do this again, they told me it was too much trouble, and it would be too costly if they ever had a false positive, and that, they would look BAD, if they tried to fire-me due to this, and being POZ+  as a result of this, I NEVER had to do any drug test ever again  ;D
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 11:29:41 am by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 12:41:02 pm »
I've read up on this and what you did is the right thing, i.e. get a letter from your doctor saying you are on meds that might produce a false positive, without being specific about the meds. This kind of letter is enough if in fact the test comes back positive for marijuana (which is usually the one in question when taking Sustiva).

I would wait and see what happens, it may be that the test will be fine, but if it does come back false positive then the letter from your doctor will very likely be enough to satisfy them. There's no need to get into specifics about what you are taking or that you have HIV, etc.

Not that there is any shame in having HIV but I do think some employers would discriminate based on the fact that they are not well informed and may assume you will be getting sick or not be able to do the job or end up raising their insurance premiums, etc.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 12:43:03 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline tokyodecadence

• A one room disco.
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 08:02:19 pm »
I've read up on this and what you did is the right thing, i.e. get a letter from your doctor saying you are on meds that might produce a false positive, without being specific about the meds. This kind of letter is enough if in fact the test comes back positive for marijuana (which is usually the one in question when taking Sustiva).

I would wait and see what happens, it may be that the test will be fine, but if it does come back false positive then the letter from your doctor will very likely be enough to satisfy them. There's no need to get into specifics about what you are taking or that you have HIV, etc.

Not that there is any shame in having HIV but I do think some employers would discriminate based on the fact that they are not well informed and may assume you will be getting sick or not be able to do the job or end up raising their insurance premiums, etc.

Oh totally, I've got the letter, it's short and to the point, with contact information for my doctor. No specific med or condition was explained, the doctor's office already knew the deal. But I have it! So I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I've already gotten the job, it's just the drug test and background check I'll need to pass, neither of which I'm concerned with now. Thanks everyone!
[.Fodão.]

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 08:07:42 pm »
Congrats on the job, that is so awesome, especially in this economy@!

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 03:27:19 am »

Oh totally, I've got the letter, it's short and to the point, with contact information for my doctor. No specific med or condition was explained, the doctor's office already knew the deal. But I have it! So I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I've already gotten the job, it's just the drug test and background check I'll need to pass, neither of which I'm concerned with now. Thanks everyone!

Awesome!! Hope everything works out for you, goodluck!
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline tokyodecadence

• A one room disco.
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 11:24:11 am »
Hey hey! Just got the confirmation email for my orientation, so everything worked out! But this was a good experience though, I'm going to keep my doctor's letter on file if I should need it at some point. Thanks so much guys!
[.Fodão.]

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.