Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:41:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 665
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 618
Total: 618

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Now it's finally time to start.  (Read 4709 times)

Offline shinebrightly

Now it's finally time to start.
« on: October 23, 2006, 03:43:53 am »
Hi everyone.

My doc tells me now is the time. CD4+264  CD4+%16  VL 58000.

Sustiva and Truvada is what he is recommending. We've discussed my concerns about the CNS side effects of efavirenz. Any tips on the beginning? The side effects scare me because I have been feeling great!

I've been healthy and am scared.......How do I make the committment to the meds that will save my life, when my life is without sickness (for now?)? I'm thinking I should wait.... I don't know.... ???

Thanks.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Re: Now it's finally time to start.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 09:40:33 am »
Hi Shine,

While I've never taken Sustiva or Truvada, I know many who do and who do very well with it. One person told me he felt "drunk" for the first couple of days, but then, no problems at all.

The "what ifs" are a real hard thing to overcome with HIV. We all hear so many horror stories that we worry some or all of it could befall us.

But remember that each of us is different. What gives one person nasty side effects may not cause any in someone else. Please don't let the "what ifs" scare you into not acting when you might ought to.

I understand completely your reticence about starting meds. If I may, I would like to offer a few words of experience. At least they may offer a glimpse into life with the meds that you might not have seen or heard about.

I started meds in March 1996. I didn't really want to, but my doc and I sat down and had a real heart-to-heart. Sara, my doc at the time, and a great lady besides, said, "Mark, it is up to you what you want to do. Do you want to be aggressive and fight this disease or do you want to wait until you are sick and we have to fight to make up for lost ground?"

Well, that kind of did it for me. I started in March, switched one med in May, and have been on the same regimen ever since. It works, I'm healthy, working, happy and enjoying my life.

You ask:
I've been healthy and am scared.......How do I make the commitment to the meds that will save my life, when my life is without sickness (for now?)? I'm thinking I should wait.... I don't know...

First, yes, the meds are a commitment. Definitely so. But, try not to think of it as a life-long commitment, but rather one of daily habit. In other words, do you think about eating as a life-long commitment? Probably not, yet it is something you do every day.

Try to think of the meds in this way. It is just part of the daily routine. No biggie, right? It works for me.

Now, about not having sickness at this point yet considering meds, I was there too. In 1996, I was very healthy and felt great. The issue was staying healthy and feeling great.

While there are exceptions, those who wait until they are suffering from an opportunistic infection before starting meds tend to have a more difficult time recovering their previous health.

I guess the question is, how do you want to deal with this virus? Do you want an AIDS diagnosis before you start meds or would you prefer to be aggressive and fight the virus before things get dicey?

I made my decision more than 10 years ago. I haven't regretted it. I think my decision allowed me to avoid some of the horrors I had seen others suffer when there were few meds.

Personally, were it me, I would opt for starting meds. But that is a decision only you can make for yourself.

HUGS,

Mark

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Esquare

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 10:23:06 am »
Hi Shine,

While I've never taken Sustiva or Truvada, I know many who do and who do very well with it. One person told me he felt "drunk" for the first couple of days, but then, no problems at all.

The "what ifs" are a real hard thing to overcome with HIV. We all hear so many horror stories that we worry some or all of it could befall us.

But remember that each of us is different. What gives one person nasty side effects may not cause any in someone else. Please don't let the "what ifs" scare you into not acting when you might ought to.

I understand completely your reticence about starting meds. If I may, I would like to offer a few words of experience. At least they may offer a glimpse into life with the meds that you might not have seen or heard about.

I started meds in March 1996. I didn't really want to, but my doc and I sat down and had a real heart-to-heart. Sara, my doc at the time, and a great lady besides, said, "Mark, it is up to you what you want to do. Do you want to be aggressive and fight this disease or do you want to wait until you are sick and we have to fight to make up for lost ground?"

Well, that kind of did it for me. I started in March, switched one med in May, and have been on the same regimen ever since. It works, I'm healthy, working, happy and enjoying my life.

You ask:
First, yes, the meds are a commitment. Definitely so. But, try not to think of it as a life-long commitment, but rather one of daily habit. In other words, do you think about eating as a life-long commitment? Probably not, yet it is something you do every day.

Try to think of the meds in this way. It is just part of the daily routine. No biggie, right? It works for me.

Now, about not having sickness at this point yet considering meds, I was there too. In 1996, I was very healthy and felt great. The issue was staying healthy and feeling great.

While there are exceptions, those who wait until they are suffering from an opportunistic infection before starting meds tend to have a more difficult time recovering their previous health.

I guess the question is, how do you want to deal with this virus? Do you want an AIDS diagnosis before you start meds or would you prefer to be aggressive and fight the virus before things get dicey?

I made my decision more than 10 years ago. I haven't regretted it. I think my decision allowed me to avoid some of the horrors I had seen others suffer when there were few meds.

Personally, were it me, I would opt for starting meds. But that is a decision only you can make for yourself.

HUGS,

Mark

Mark I like reading your posts. That is probably the best way I could think to sum up why to start the meds. I'm over two weeks into them now and I'm still the same old me.

Offline Longislander

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 01:31:05 pm »
I just wanted to pop in and say Mark, that was an awesome response, very well thought out and insightful.

Shine, I'm not in that boat yet, but when I get to that point, I would think I'd be biting that bullet. My Dr wanted me to start at 349/9500/25%, but thankfully I put it off one more lab...

Apparantly a trend is what you're looking for. If you've been heading in that direction, makes sense to start.

Good luck,
Paul
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 06:20:57 pm »
I've been healthy and am scared.......How do I make the committment to the meds that will save my life, when my life is without sickness (for now?)? I'm thinking I should wait.... I don't know.... ???

Thanks.

Keep in mind --sometimes illness can be VERY sudden i.e. "it hit me like a ton of bricks" from out of the blue. Good news is: You're over 200 so there's less chance of that, so I would lean toward starting if I were in your shoes. Whatever you do, good luck.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 06:31:50 pm »
Hello Shinebrightly,

I can certainly understand where you are coming from when it comes to starting meds. I too went through the same thing that you are going through right now. However, as Mark has ever so kindly illustrated in his post, it becomes a daily routine. Also, the side effects are different with every person. Everything will work itself out for the better. It is your choice.

Make the BEST of each Day! ---Also, WELCOME to the forums!

Offline Teresa

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 06:33:20 pm »
I'm with all the others here. Time to let the meds start kicking some HIV ass. Hubby started on Sustiva/Truvada and then went to Atripla. The only side effect he has had (that I know of) is loose stools and Metamucil is helping with that.

So hoping you will be like hubby and not have many of the side effects that some do.

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline Blixer

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 06:37:40 pm »
Hello Shine!
I echo what Mark has said.  He puts it very nicely.

In terms of Sustiva... my personal experience is that it has been no big deal.  I've been on it for 6 months now and I even take mine first thing every morning at 6 AM.  There was a short adjustment period when I had a bit of dizziness, but nothing major. The potential for side effects differs with each individual, but don't worry about the what ifs.  I've had no major ongoing side effects from the sustiva.  After six months I can say taking the meds has become a habit and it does not impact my life in any major way.  I do the things I want to do, work full time, and carry on with my life.  And the meds have done the work inside my body that they were supposed to.  VL <50 and CD4 increasing.  I initially had reservations about the sustiva but it has been a real non-event for me.  Best of luck.
David
Diagnosed 1/9/06
8/27/2007 CD4 598, 29%, VL 58 (72 wks)
11/19/2007 CD4 609, 30%, VL < 50 (84 wks)
2/11/2008 CD4 439, 27%, VL <50 (96 wks)
5/5/2008 CD4 535, 28%, VL <50 (108 wks)
10/20/2008 CD4 680, 28%, VL <50 (132 wks)
Changed to Atripla in 2012
1/14/2013 CD4 855, 35%, VL <40

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 09:06:31 pm »
There are those who say and believe (including my doc) that the 200 cd4 count (trended) can be defined as having AIDS.  I was at your mark 260 1 year ago when my doctor advised me after 3 sets of labs that it was time to let your body heal.  I felt great and had a pretty hard time justifying why I should go on meds.. I feel fine..   He went on to say - "That's how I want to keep you".  Your doctor is looking out for you... Do what he says and if you are concerned, ask here.  There are some very Wise guys that can help you thru these wild and wacky times...

I am on meds,  I am doing great.  I am working just like I use ta (fucking to much) and life is good.  The lower your cd4's go, the longer it takes to "turn em back on or get em back"..

Love & meds...

Offline BooBoo

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2006, 09:54:37 pm »
I felt the same way you do about committing to the meds when I still felt healthy.  But then I realized that it was a lot better to start meds before I became sick.  I started on meds when my cd4 was 250 and vl was 159,000....that was over 8 yrs ago and other than some minor colds here and there I have never been sick with any OI's. My vl has been <50 for over 7yrs now and my cd4 is now about 900. 

I tend to agree with you doctor that it's a good time for you to start.  And as far as the Sustiva goes....I've been on it for 7 yrs now and other than some dizziness during the first few weeks I've had no problem with it (but that's just my experience and I know everybody reacts differently to Sustiva).  Just try to take at bedtime on an empty stomach.  And if you must eat something with it just have a lite snack....nothing with too much fat.  The fat tends to increase the side effects.

Good luck to you!!!!

Hugs,

Jim
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 09:56:37 pm by BooBoo »

Offline wellington

• Don't sweat the little things.
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2006, 10:06:10 pm »
I started meds when I was already ill and I wish I had started sooner. I could have avoided a year of feeling poorly and a nasty stay in hospital pumped full of a wide assortment of antibiotics. The catheter up the penis was no fun either.

Take each day as it comes. Swallow your hiv candy, faithfully, and live a long and healthy life.

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2006, 11:12:15 pm »
Hi,

I know I have read people tell me or others not to be afraid of the meds.  I just started Atripla October 4th.  There was a few days of dizzy, groggy mornings and some fatigue, but I am feeling pretty good so far.  The fear and paranoia are subsiding, I just take it before bed and SHAZAM! I hope I am giving my immune system a break and squishin' little viruses!  Kinda out of it when I get up 2 pee at night, but nothing bad to report.  I think I am going to be OK.  I really wish you the best as well.  It is scary... but nothin we can't support u with when you make that decision!!!

Drew

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.