Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:07:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 207
Total: 207

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: I am an idiot!!!  (Read 12381 times)

Offline imec0li

I am an idiot!!!
« on: August 10, 2006, 02:02:15 am »
I was on vacation away from my girlfriend on the last night there I got really drunk and had brief unprotected vaginal sex. Once I thought about it I stopped, about 3 minutes into it I pushed her off me. first week I had night sweats and chills. second week I got a white coating on the tongue, thicker in the back. I scrap it off with a plastic knife, no bleedind or red spots, just more white.  I went and got tested at 2.5 weeks for STDs also HIV(not worth squat, too early) The nurse told me not to worry, I was at low risk. asked about my tongue she said it wasn't thrush and not to worry. Next I got a stye in my eye and went to the DR also was told not to worry about my tongue. 1 week later tests all tests neg(again hiv worthless). 5 weeks after possible exposure, tongue still white, no real night sweats, but sore armpit, swollen thyroid, and diarrhea 4 days +. I think that I am infected. the worst part is after the encounter, the girl mentined that she had just gone thru the worst 8 days of her life, she gets her results tommorrow. I know I was irresponsible, but how could someone be that careless about another individual? I told my GF what happened when  I got back and she is still here, not sure for how long once I get the results I am expecting. worst of all, I just had to pass on a new job in pharmaceutical manufacturing due to my possible condition.

have any others tested negative with all these symptoms?

Still crying,

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
Re: I am an idiot!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 02:48:54 am »
Imec0li,

While your risk is low, it still warrants testing. 

Symptoms mean nothing where hiv is concerned.  You can have no symptoms and be hiv positive or all of the symptoms usually associated with primary hiv infection and be hiv negative.

That said, none of your "symptoms" are indicative of primary hiv infection.  And symptoms, if they occur at all, happen 2-4 weeks after infection.  They come all at once, and go all at once a week or two later.

Have any others tested negative with all these symptoms?  Yes.  Quite frequently.

A six week test would be an excellent indication of your status as the vast majority of those infected would test positive at that time (the average time to seroconversion is only 22 days).  A negative test would still have to be followed up with a 12/13 week conclusive test though.

I would relax about your chances.  I would be very surprised if your exposure resulted in infection.

Morgan

/edited for a pesky grammatical error/name change
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 11:21:52 am by Morgan »
Morgan Landers

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 04:34:06 am »
imec0li,

You're really going to be kicking yourself for passing up a job offer because you think you might be hiv positive. Even if you are (which I doubt) there is no reason why you could not have taken the job. Do you seriously think that all of us who are positive just curl up and stop living when we get our diagnosis? Sheesh.

Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus and more so from a woman to a man. The odds are definitely in your favour of testing negative after this one-off, brief incident.

As Morgan said, a six week test would be an excellent indication of your status, but would need confirmation at the 12-13 week point. I've yet to see a negative at six weeks change.

If I were you I'd see if that job is still open.

Ann
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 07:10:25 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline imec0li

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 08:42:44 pm »
Thanks for the optimism and responses, I really appreciate the support. I in no way plan on laying down and dying, but as far as the job goes, I would be banned from working on the manufacturing floor if  I have a viral infection. That is one of the FDA regulations. I hope and pray you are both right and I am negative. I just ordered the home access kit and I will be staring at it for 1 week until I can use it. I wasn't aware the symptoms all hit at once and went away at the same time, that makes me feel a little better, but I am still extremely scared.

Thanks again,

M

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 09:06:50 pm »
What kind of job do you have that you can't work on a manufacturing floor?

Offline imec0li

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 02:35:19 am »
I would be working in a pharmaceutical manufacturing plant, working with raw drug product during manufacturing and cell culture.

I know if you have a cold or open sores you cannot work out on the floor for your safety, and the safety of the drug product. I guess with HIV it is different as long as I wasn't cut, but I think I would still need to  disclose my status..

M

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 02:54:51 am »
M,

You silly boy! You almost certainly don't have HIV and I can't see how the position you applied for would have been refused on the basis of HIV positivity.

Oy!

MtD

Offline T79

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 11:32:50 pm »
Hey man,
You might have done that already, but it would be a good idea to take a MONO test.
Good Luck!
T

Offline imec0li

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2006, 03:05:39 am »
Thanks again to all that have replied. my tongue seems to be clearing up, my neck is still swollen,  I think it is my thyroid and not lymph ducts,  looking at pictures and diagrams, it seems to be very close 1-2 cm  to my clavicle and windpipe, about the size of a ravioli, no pea like shape. when the lymph nodes swell, do they swell that big?   

I also read on the mayo clinic website that swollen glands are the first symptom to occur, then the other symptoms follow. like my post says, I am an idiot. I the more I read, the more things seem to vary is that generally the case?  I hope and pray that this is all stress induced. I am a big guy, 6'1 265 lb, and I am not afraid to admit today was the first day in a month I didn't break down and cry(OK, typing that just made me well up a little). I am trying to keep my spirits up and remain focused on a negative test result in 2 weeks, an 3 months from then. I am very grateful you are out there helping out and informing unknowing people like myself.
Thank you all,
M

P.S.
I haven't gotten tested for mono, I didn't really feel fatigue or run down.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 03:08:17 am by imecoli »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2006, 05:42:02 am »
imec0li,

If you are having unusual swellings in your neck/throat, you need to see your doctor, not post about it on an internet forum.

It's highly unlikely that you would have been infected from your brief unprotected incident. Go see your doc to find out what, if anything, is going on with you. Follow this up with hiv testing just to be sure, but I'm expecting you to test negative.

Ann
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 07:10:44 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline imec0li

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 03:26:01 pm »
I just noticed I have small red dots pin sized under the skin on my forearms and biceps and on my legs. I also saw one slightly elevated the size of a thumbtack on my thigh, is that normal?  I never really noticed them before. I am very observant of every little thing now, each cough and ache makes me worry, I am a big mess. I am really scared. I also had night sweats again last night, got up and took my temperature, it was 97.8. I was unable to get back to sleep due to the anxiety, I guess we have all gone thru it, but I am having a real hard time with it.
 any suggestions or possible explanations?

Thanks,

M

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2006, 03:35:21 pm »
This site really can't diagnose symptoms or give any medical advice other than HIV risk assessment and testing information.

No matter wehat symptoms you have, none of the risk assessment you have received here is going to change.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2006, 04:18:24 pm »
imec0li,

If you are having unusual marks on your body, you need to see your doctor, not post about it on an internet forum.

It's highly unlikely that you would have been infected from your brief unprotected incident. Go see your doc to find out what, if anything, is going on with you. Follow this up with hiv testing just to be sure, but I'm expecting you to test negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline imec0li

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2006, 10:26:45 pm »
sorry, I just thought I would ask. my GF said she has seen small red dots before, perhaps I am just stressing out way too much. I  will retest in 2 weeks at 8 week point, I once again hope your prediction of my status is correct.

Thank you,
M

Offline imec0li

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2006, 02:18:17 pm »
sorry to keep beating a dead horse, but my white tongue was clearing up, and now has come back. I no longer have watery stools(only 4 days), but it is too soon to test, 5.5 weeks. if she was in initial stages of infection, I understand she is more contagious (correct?) but would that affect me sooner, or at the same window, I am really scared an nervous, I also had another (one) episode of night sweats. do they occur for multiple days, or off and on? for a while my stools were very small and floated, but now seem to be normal. please I am sorry again,

thank you,
M

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2006, 03:11:24 pm »
im,

No, the stage of infection of your partner does not affect your window period.

If you are having problems with your tongue or your digestion, you need to see your doctor, not post about it on an internet forum.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline imec0li

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2006, 05:02:35 pm »
OK, I have taken a step back and tried to breath. I am 5.5 weeks post possible exposure, and would like to clarify and also question. 

1 after finally seeing a DRs post that distinguishes different tongue symptoms I have drawn the conclusion that I have coated tongue.( I hope)  I can wipe away some of the film and some residual remains, it is also only on the top on my tongue. I am trying to remain calm and see if it clears up.

2 my cough I believe was from constantly being in a clenched throat state. Again, this is me speculating. But that seems to help the coughing

3 my thyroid wasn’t swollen, it was just my neck muscles.

4 the diarrhea for four days was possibly from bad BBQ food, my GF was also sick, again speculating.

5 I have a home access test I was going to use at six weeks, but think  I can hold out until nine, possibly thirteen weeks.  And with question one below,  I am going to postpone the test.

So with that being said, I would like to ask another question or two,
Please understand I am very grateful for your answers and don’t mean to be a pest (I know I already am) but I am really scared due to the possibility of her being infected and early in seroconversion having a greater rate for infection.

1 night sweats:

I just had 2 consecutive nights worth, and once again and starting into the downward spiral. It seems to be mainly my head and neck areas soaking the pillow, I sleep in only shorts and never really detect any other moisture, I have read that usually the sheets are soaked, is that always the case? How often do they occur after infection? I don’t drink or take any drugs.

Thanks again,
M

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2006, 05:38:09 pm »
M,

Symptoms or the lack of symptoms mean absolutely nothing when it comes to hiv infection. Stress can cause every single symptom you have listed.

Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus and more so from a woman to a man. The odds are definitely in your favour of testing negative after this one-off, brief incident.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline imec0li

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2006, 10:35:08 pm »
OK, I took my 6 week home access test, and was scared to call. I got a negative result, that by no means puts me out of the woods I know, but from what I have heard about sero conversion windows, and as you all told me several time, the odds are in my favor. Even though it is still inconclusive, I am a little relieved and can let out a little bit of air. I know 13 weeks is almost conclusive, but 6 months is still required, should I test at 9 or 10 weeks also? sorry for the longwinded run on sentence, the nuns would be beating me for this on top of several other thing.

thanks,
M

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2006, 04:58:07 am »
I know 13 weeks is almost conclusive, but 6 months is still required, should I test at 9 or 10 weeks also?

Im,

Where have you been? Have you been reading anything we've said to you, or the Lesson links in the Welcome Thread you're supposed to read?

Three months is conclusive. You do NOT need to test again at six months.

A six week negative result RARELY changes. I've never seen one change. Ever.

You do NOT need to test at 9 or 10 weeks, the earliest you should test again is at twelve weeks - and that result will be conclusive.

I'm fully expecting another negative test result.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline imec0li

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2006, 11:31:53 am »
I have been staying off the web to stop convincing myself that everything that was happenning physically was realted to this( I also saw on the web my symptoms were consistant with lupus, Graves disease, and a couple of other ones left unmentioned, it amazing I am still able to go to work each day ;)). I know today that 13 week is conclusive, but according to the CDC.... I know they are trying to be ultra conservative with the test window, also to reassure my GF, even though I have shown her the data, and the sensitivity of the newer assays and tests. The only reason for the 10 or 11 would be for my sanity, to clear away any new or strange "symptoms" that occur  between the two time points. there is an Oktoberfest party that week, and a negative test at that time would really reassure me and allow me to be back to my normal self. My GF told me the other day was the first time she has seen me really smile and heard me laugh in a long time.

the six week as I metioned, and predicted by everyone here, myself being the exception, was  an extreme relief. Thanks again to for the support, knowledge and information, like the post says, "I am an Idiot"... kicking myself.

Thanks,
M

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2006, 06:03:53 am »
Everyone,

I need to clear something up here because advice given by one member in this thread has been quoted in other threads.

Morgan was WRONG when he said this poster had a LOW risk. He didn't. He most definitely had a risk. Unprotected insertive vaginal intercourse is number four on the risk list, appearing after

unprotected receptive anal intercourse,
unprotected receptive vaginal intercourse,
unprotected insertive anal intercourse,
unprotected insertive vaginal intercourse,

in that order. I would NOT call unprotected insertive vaginal intercourse "low risk" and you will NEVER see me call it low risk.

Just because the odds are in someone's favour of testing negative after a one-time, brief, unprotected insertive vaginal incident, it does not mean it is LOW risk. If the woman is hiv positive, you could indeed become infected from a one time exposure. Does it happen very often? No. CAN it happen? YES!

I apologise for not picking up on Morgan's error earlier and correcting it. This is a prime example of why we do not allow any-old-body to answer questions here. It's impossible to pick up on 100% of the mistakes, 100% of the time.

Unprotected insertive vaginal is NOT CONSIDERED LOW RISK!

Im,

You have had a risk and you do need to test again at 12-13 weeks. However, it is unlikely you have become infected as your six week result is negative.

Ann
« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 07:00:36 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline imec0li

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2006, 03:28:32 pm »
OK, sorry to drag my OCD out but some information would be greatly appreciated. I heard that home access uses 1st generation tests, I just had a negative at 8.5, but what are the differences between the 1st and 3rd generation? does the second confirmatory test address the issue? but if the first is negative, wouldn't the second show the same negative result? I am very confused. Please help, again, I am sorry for my ignorance on this subject.

Thanks,
M

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2006, 06:36:17 am »
im,

The generation of a test really only matters in the first few weeks. ANY generation of test is conclusive at three months and most people who have actually been infected will test positive on any generation by six weeks. However, the three month test is the conclusive one.

I do NOT expect your 8.5 week negative to change.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.