Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:09:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 370
Total: 370

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: HIV Risk From Blood Test  (Read 8482 times)

Offline worriedlea

HIV Risk From Blood Test
« on: October 04, 2007, 08:16:13 pm »

Yesterday I attended the local pathology to have a blood screening (a broad screening including HIV/Hep etc). 

The first technician put the needle in and couldnt get the vein.  She went and got the pathologist from the lab and asked him to do it.

He walked straight in and removed the Band Aid from the puncture wound and felt around for a vein without washing his hands or wearing gloves.  Im pretty sure his finger touched were the previous needle had gone in.

I then noticed s smear of dried blood on the bottom of his hand heard his wrist.  I told him about this and he said "Yeah I stuck myself with a sterile needle before".  He then went and washed his hands and applied gloves before taking my blood.

I am extremely concerned about this as I am worried he may have transferred blood from his finger (I did not notice whether or not it had blood on it) to the fresh puncture mark on my arm.  I do know that where he touched me no blood was visibly transferred from his finger to my skin.

I am not only worried about his blood but also if he was working with any other blood products before treating me.

Do you think this is a significant risk?
What is the risk for this?  Should I be tested?  What should I do from here?

Also I am breastfeeding my 4 month old baby.  Should I stop feeding just in case?

I am extremely concerned about this and cannot sleep (on top of having to look after my two children) - which is torture.

Thanks so much, 

Lea.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: HIV Risk From Blood Test
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 08:29:18 pm »
WHat you described is not a risk for HIV. However, such unprofessional behaviour on the part of the technician should be reported. HIPPA standards exist for the benefit of both medical professionals and patients.

HIV is not spread in such casual contact. It is spread primarily through unprotected anal or vaginal sex. There is no risk to you insofar as HIV is concerned.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline worriedlea

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 06:09:46 pm »
I am totally terrified and believe this was more than 'casual contact'.

What I am most concerned about is feeding my baby after this and the possible risk that if I have caught something that my baby could get it.

What do you think is the earliest test I could get just to see how things are going....I know the window period for the ELISA is 12 weeks but I just cannot wait that long, particularly considering its breaking my heart every time I feed my baby thinking that I am passing something on to him.  Do you think a PCR test or something like that could be done earlier just as an indicator?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 06:15:16 pm »
worried,

You were NOT at risk for hiv infection during this incident. If you continue to worry, I'd suggest going to the clinic where it happened and discussing it with them. You were not at risk for hiv infection.

You don't need to test over this and you are not putting your baby at risk for anything - other than having an over-anxious mother.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 06:22:53 pm »
I am totally terrified and believe this was more than 'casual contact'.

Why would you think this?

You  have in no way been put at risk for HIV...if this is going to worry you and stress you out then I suggest you go and talk to the clinic you attended...for peace of mind if nothing else.

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline worriedlea

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 09:34:57 pm »
I have been and spoken with the pathologist who took the sample.

He told me:

Yes there was blood on his hand (he didnt realise) and that he had pricked himself there with a sterile syringe earlier. He assures me that that part of his hand did not come in contact with my needle mark.  I asked him if there could have been blood on his fingers and he said he didnt think so. 

I didnt notice his fingers but I know there was no transfer of 'wet' blood onto my arm.  If there was blood on his fingers and in was dry, and he touched my needle mark with his finger, could HIV have possibly transferred?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 09:44:41 pm »
You're just wandering around in the domain of WHAT IFs and all to no good purpose.

As far as I am concerned this was a non-risk incident and you're just working yourself into a state over it without any basis in HIV science.

I don't see any need for testing nor for further concern. Period. End of story. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline worriedlea

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 08:53:38 pm »
What about the fact that if there was blood on his finger and a small amount of blood was transferred to my arm and by putting the needle in the second time some of the blood/virus particles were pushed into my vein by the needle?

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007, 08:55:25 pm »
Lea,

You can what if all you like it's not going to change the answers you've received. You don't need to worry about HIV as a result of what you report.

MtD

Offline worriedlea

Blood ATM
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 07:39:49 pm »
I cannot believe my luck (or lack thereof...)

I have just recovered from the testing and psychological effects of a blood exposure at a hospital.

A couple of days ago I used an ATM machine. After pressing the buttons and waiting for the cash to come out I noticed an area of the ATM had a bright red drip of blood, about 3 inches long on the side between the keys and the money dispenser.  I dont know if it was still wet or not but it was definately fresh looking.

I did not touch this area but I am now worried that the person who left the blood there may have had blood on their fingers when touching the keys on the keypad. I could see no visible blood on my hand but wiped my hands with a baby wipe and then went home and washed my hands.

I looked at the keys on the keypad and could not see any obvious signs of blood, however the keys were dark coloured so I dont know!

What are the chances of catching HIV?  My skin is intact but I am worried I have rubbed my eye or put my finger in my mouth after touching the keypad?

I am a complete wreck about this.  Clearly this is just compounded from what I have just been through but I am worried sick.  What do I do!?!?

Should I be tested?

Thanks in anticipation, Lea.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 07:42:07 pm »
You were never at risk and you don't need testing. What you do need after reading your other threads is to seek out the help of a mental health professional for your phobias.

Offline worriedlea

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 08:35:20 pm »
Rod,

Thats what hurts so much - I have just spent the last 5 months trying to get better after the hospital incident.    I actually spent 6 weeks in a private psychiatric hospital relating to OCD which became extremely severe after the hospital incident.

I was doing so well.  I have gone back to work (I am a police officer), have been able to reduce medication etc.  This was actually the first time I was going out with some friends to enjoy myself when I used the ATM machine.

I feel like I have just had the biggest kick in the teeth.  Its like I cant escape from blood!  I have worked for months to try and get over my fear of being exposed to blood just to have this happen.  Its like it almost confirms my fears and has the potential to undo everything I have done in the last few months.

My husband was there and when I asked him to look he just couldnt believe it.  He just said "Why us?".  And he is very easy going and hard to shake but even he was upset by it.

I am just so worried about it - I am breaking down the incident bit by bit and looking at everything through a microscope. I have convinced myself that I have put my finger in my eye and that I therefore got blood in my eye.  Yes farfetched but this is how this monster operates....

Any help or reassurance would be appreciated.  I am really struggling...  Would you believe I have even thought of trying to obtaining the CCTV footage to see if I did put my finger in my eye?  Is this what my life is going to be like?  What more can I do - maybe lock myself indoors...

Lea.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 08:38:01 pm »
1. Did you have unprotected sex with an ATM machine?
2. Did you and the ATM machine share works to inject drugs?

If you answered no to those questions then you never had a risk.

PS. You cannot contract HIV from environmental surfaces. Continue to work with your doctor.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 08:42:48 pm by RapidRod »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 10:07:57 pm »
This is not an HIV situation. Period.

You need to work for as long as necessary with a therapist or other professional to deal with what's going on emotionally. We can't provide that kind of support in this setting. Nor I might add are we going to indulge you in discussing these incidents as if they were real risks for transmission when they clearly aren't. And on some level I suspect you realize that as well.

Good luck to you in getting this addressed in the appropriate setting. 
Andy Velez

Offline worriedlea

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2008, 01:55:37 am »
I understand I need help for the OCD (again...).

I am not on here asking for that or to annoy anyone.

All I am asking is that one of the experts explains to me why this isnt an exposure.  Thats all.  Because I will print it out and carry it with me so that I can read it to myself when my mind starts to wander.

Thanks, Lea.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2008, 02:37:48 am »
Ok,  print this out, get the help you need, and move on ..in that order, we can't help you any more.

HIV is not an airborne, water-borne or food-borne virus, and does not survive for very long outside the human body, so ordinary social contact such as kissing, shaking hands, coughing, sneezing and getting money out of an ATM MACHINE  does not result in the virus being passed from one person to another...HIV HAS TO GET INTO THE BLOOD STREAM.

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2008, 09:38:43 am »
You might also drop the poor me, victim and why is this happening to me drama. You're indulging in more bathos about things which have absolutely no basis in HIV science as you have already been told.

The real challenge is that it's time to get on with your life. No kidding.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.