Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:18:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 164
Total: 164

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Trembling with fear/Anal Exp  (Read 7278 times)

Offline FritStupid

Trembling with fear/Anal Exp
« on: February 20, 2007, 08:50:17 pm »
First of all, hello to everyone bothering to read this!

I am so scared that I am HIV+ (like everyone here I guess). I have been really stupid in the past. I have tried to summarise my exposure and axieties below...

Exposure - Unprotected receptive anal with casual partners of unknown status. Mostly I was careful and insisted on condoms but a number of times I foolishly didn't - thinking back over the last 5yrs I would say probably a dozen times without a rubber, most (ten) were just 'dipping' only lasting seconds and without ejaculation (usually when in a darkroom/sauna and getting carried away and THEN stopping), and two specific times when the sex went on for a number of minutes however I cannot say whether there was ejaculation. Both times I asked my partner not to cum but as I always used a tonne of lube its hard to say if they did or not.

I am bisexual however have backed away from the places I previously frequented during the last two years (saunas, cruising grounds), mainly because I started to become uncomfortable with the amount of unsafe sex I was seeing around me, and to be honest I knew that I couldn't trust myself in those environments. Also I am in a loving relationship with a girl (always protected sex) and really wanted to finally 'settle down' (I'm ealy 30s). In terms of HIV worry, I knew about safe sex, but I remained ignorant of many aspects which I have since read up on - I still said to myself that as I didn't feel sick I didn't need to get tested. I was also ignorant about medical advances over the last ten years. Also, being completely 'non-scene' I never knew people who contracted the virus, nor was I subjected to some of the various campaigns for things like Syph, Hep, PEP and so on.

Fast forward to my current situation. An ex lover (female - possible exposure during the above timeline) is required to take an HIV test for an insurance application and we are awaiting the results. This caused me to read up on HIV, symptoms, transmission risks and so on. In fact, I have worked myself up into a fury doing this and cannot stop reading more and more. When I'm not reading about it I'm thinking about it and analysing my stupid high risks and when I'm not thinking about it I'm asleep. I know I am suffering from stress (dry mouth, diarrearh, lack of appetite, weight loss etc) but I can't stop - I just feel so fatalistic about everything, like I've suddenly had the wake up call too late and am bound to hit the worst-case (ie. she is pos, i am pos, my life falls apart). All the while trying to look relatively 'normal' to my girlfriend, which just adds to the stress.

Thinking back to symptoms is hard. I've certainly felt pretty well the last two years. After one of the UAI times, I remember about a month later feeling like I was going down with a bad cold - swollen glands in armpits, phlemmy throat and so on. I took some multivits the next day and felt okay again so I don't know if this would have been ARS or not. I also don't recall my female ex-lover being sick during that particular period, although she did have swollen glands at one point which was put down to a hormonal problem. One thing I have noticed over the past year or so has been a worsening of my skin - a couple of warts, some skin-tags, a few pimples, a spate of boils under my arms which left pink/blue scars (which now I'm seriously worrying could be KS) and general aging (which may, I guess be down to my stressful job also)

I'm not even sure what I'm asking. I know I am at a ridiculously high-risk of contracting HIV and have convinced myself I am positive in advance. I know that I must get tested, and I will (although waiting for the other test results first, I can't cope with more than one test at one time!). I am wracked with guilt for my past indiscretions and have analysed my behaviour and genuinely want to change it. Whilst the unsafe cruising ground sex was fun at the time, it just wasn't worth the ongoing anxiety and I want - no I yearn, for a monogamous relationship from now on. I would give anything to be able to just grow old.

I am so scared of losing everything I love. My relationship, house, job (reading about the side-effects of the meds makes me wonder how anyone could carry out a full time job, let alone a stressful management position). I'm also scared of the stigma which I know affects everyone but I live in a rural town and am imersed in the 'hetero' rather than 'gay' scene, which naturally doesn't have anywhere near the amount of support networks for this horrible, horrible disease.

I guess if I had one question it would be that I have no idea how typical or not my behaviour is in the gay population and if people who took equal (or more) risks have somehow remained negative? I feel like I was an irresponsible slut to be honest!

Sorry if I have rambled on, and sorry if much of it doesn't make much sense. I will probably think of other questions or details which I will amend accordingly when they come up.

Thanks
B
(based in rural lancashire, UK)

Offline RapidRod

Re: Trembling with fear/Anal Exp
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 09:18:39 pm »
If you are waiting on us to tell you to test then, yes you need to test. Symptoms or lack of is no way to diagnosis HIV. You had several risks so you need to test. Get your test and let us know your results.

Offline FritStupid

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 09:38:33 pm »
Hi Rod

No, I'm not waiting to be told that. Like I said, being tested is a given.

My problem is the anxiety involved. Right now I have convinced myself that I am almost-certainly positive, which may or may not be irrational however I have so much to lose that I'm going to pieces.

The vast majority of posts seem to be from hetrosexual exposures which is fine, but doesn't reflect my exact situation and i'm starting to believe that the reason I am not seeing similar histories published are because the people involved also are resigned to being positive and indeed test as such. That doesn't exactly help my state of mind though!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 09:44:20 pm »
If it helps you, most of the people here are gay. There are a few heteros but the majority are gay. I'm gay. Been positive since 1984. Did I loose my home. NO Did I loose my job. No. Don't be putting the cart before the horse. As you see I'm still here 23 years after being diagnosed.

Offline FritStupid

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 10:06:45 pm »
Appreciate that, although the posters in this particular forum seem to generally come from a position of hetrosexual exposures, hence me figuring that i must be unusually slutty and therefore at *huge* risk!

I know I am 'putting the cart before the horse' however its the sheer volume of the things at stake which keep running through my head. I'm as rational as they come in other areas of life, but if I try to invoke logic and tell myself that its pointless worrying now and how stress will make more 'symptoms' appear, it lasts for a few seconds until I start thinking again...

Your diagnosis 23 years ago does indeed give some hope that if infected, its not the end of everything (and presumably medical advances over the next decade or so will come along which will potentially extend life expectancy further) however, with all respect, I would give anything right now not to be in that position :(

Thanks again Rod for your prompt answers - I know I'm making little sense!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 10:12:17 pm »
The only one that has an opinion of you as being slutty or whatever, is you. It's all up to you how you look at yourself. We don't care. To us it doesn't matter what your sexuality is or if you are a drug abuser. We give you the assessment facts and when to test if you need testing. Other than that we don't care. Don't be so hard on yourself.

Offline ScienceGuy25

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 10:13:58 pm »
Frit

As Rod said don't put the cart before the horse. I would recommend you get tested as soon as possible.  While you did put yourself at risk, you could indeed be worrying yourself for no reason. Best of luck.

Science Guy

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 12:14:59 am »
Exposure - Unprotected receptive anal with casual partners of unknown status.
Frit
It isn't a question of who's the sluttiest, its about personal protection and it reads that you have been way too relaxed in that department. Of course you need to test ...and you need to start using condoms consistently.

As a yardstick, symptoms or lack thereof are notoriously unreliable in determining anyones status, including your own. Get yourself tested but don't make any presumptions and if its negative then let this experience be a wake up call that only you can protect your health.

Good luck

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 07:27:40 am »
Frit,

As long as you are testing three months or more after your last incident of unprotected intercourse, your result will be conclusive. Go get tested and get it over with.

I'm here to tell you that testing positive, while challenging, is NOT the end of the world. I live on the Isle of Man and if I can carry on with my life, so can you. There are plenty of good doctors and support centers within your reach in Manchester and Liverpool, so don't think you're going to be totally alone. There are other members here from the UK as well.

BUT... you are not necessarily going to test positive. The only way to know is to get that test over and done with. If you test negative, you'll have learned a valuable lesson. If you test positive, we're here for you.

Now go book an appointment with a GUM clinic. Let us know how it turns out.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline FritStupid

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 07:56:08 am »
Thanks for the replies.

I still wish that a positive test result didn't feel like an foregone conclusion though :(

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 08:43:23 am »
Fortunately feelings aren't facts. A test result is a fact. So let's see how that goes. Time and again we hear from people here who are absolutely certain they're going to test positive. The overwhelming majority don't.

Hopefully you will test negative. And if you don't then life is still going to go on and you'll learn about how to deal with that. We're here to help with that.

As for criticizing your past behavior, how is that helpful? If you want your life to be different then start with today rather than expending your energy in attacking yourself. That sort of stuff is immobilizing and doesn't lead to anything good.

Along with testing to find out your status the other good thing you can do for yourself is to make certain that you consistently practice safer sex without exception.

Good luck with your test result. We'll be expecting to hear from you.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 11:07:25 am »
Frit, I had hundreds of casual unprotected encounters WAY before I tested Poz.  It is TOTALLY within the realm of possibility that you are negative.  Just dont do what I did, and think that if you do test negative you are somehow slightly more invincible than the rest.  Not answering my first 4 wake-up calls is the reason I am poz today. 

I was in a place of self loathing and thats never a good thing.  You are perilously close to that ledge right now I can read it in your words.  I dont say this cause I think your crazy I say the following because it helped save my life:  Seek the help of a therapist.  And please use condoms every time.  As Ann says the joy of unprotected sex lasts minutes.  Hiv lasts a lifetime.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline FritStupid

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 07:40:24 am »
Thanks for the replies. Its strange - before knowing about the results I have convinced myself I am positive and can feel myself slipping into a bit of a depression and what makes it worse is knowing that if I *am* positive then that is just a taster. So I have a fear of depression now that I've never had before in my life and its scary.

Part of the (my) problem may be reading forums like this one I think. Whilst everyone does a sterling job here and its a great support network for people, I read things like the 'Living with HIV' forum or the 'Just Tested Poz' forum and read many many comments from people who had far less risky sex than I and who became infected. People who say they didn't think they would test positive but did and were shocked, and people who say they "knew" they were positive before the result. I'm wondering if I am getting a stilted view of the world as these messages are naturally not offset by people who tested negative. Whilst I'm only viewing (in other words not a 'participant') on these boards, I am starting to get to know many posters and starting to feel 'part of the community', even though I don't know my results, which probably isn't a good thing for my mental health.

At the moments when I start to take my mind off HIV (which are rare) then I will suddenly recall another possible risky exposure years ago, or will remember another possible 'symptom', or will remember another symptom a lover had, or I will think of having to break news to my girlfriend and will spiral back into a depression.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 08:36:28 am »
That kind of worrying can be addictive. It's bad for your health.

In order to overcome it you have to have the willingness to make a concerted effort to get productively busy in your life. It can be done and it works, but you have to be willing to give up the self-indulgence of looking for trouble in the LIVING WITH and other places on the web which will only feed your worst fears.

Now, get busy! No kidding.
Andy Velez

Offline racingmind

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 10:35:18 am »
Frit,
It is devastating to discover that you are HIV+.  I, like you, had pretty much resigned myself to thinking I was before the doctor gave me my results.  It still hit me like a ton of bricks.  HOWEVER, now that I know I can do something about it.  I can take care of myself.  I found out this past September.  Am I over it?  Absolutely not, but I do not feel like I'm knocking on death's door like I did back in September.  I just take each day as it comes.  Some days are good, some are great, while others are just downright awful.  But such is life.  We all make decisions and have to live with the consequences. 

It's not the end of the world.  GET TESTED  ASAP.  It's better to know.   Good Luck and keep us posted.
Tested Negative: 5/06
Tested Positive: 9/06 
9/06: CD4: 442 (28%) VL: +100,000
10/06: CD4: 323 (25%) VL: 243,440
11/06: CD4: 405 (28%) VL: 124,324
12/06: CD4: 450 (29%) VL: 114,600
1/07: CD4: 440 (27%) VL: 75,286
3/07: CD4: 459 (30%) VL: 44,860
5/07: CD4: 353 (24%) VL: 50,852
7/07: CD4: 437 (29%) VL: 39,475
9/07: CD4: 237 (32%) VL: 372,774
10/07: CD4: 324 (27%) VL: 115,454 
Started Atripla: 10/07
11/07: CD4: 524 (?%) VL: Undetectable!
2/08: CD4: 653 (35%) VL: undetectable
5/08: CD4: 822 (40%) VL: undetectable
8/08: CD4: 626 (35%) VL: undetectable
12/08: CD4: 619 (36%) VL: undetectable
3/09: CD4: 802 (38%) VL: undetectable
7/09: CD4: 1027 (43%) VL: not tested
10/09: CD4: 1045 (43%) VL: undetectable

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.