Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:48:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772948
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 486
Total: 487

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: !  (Read 5927 times)

Offline dgls44

!
« on: August 23, 2006, 11:29:30 am »
~
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 12:14:01 am by dgls44 »

Offline Catman

• Blessed with more than 9 lives! + since 1986
    • Who is the Catman?
Re: Fuzeon {T-20} Needles
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 01:10:12 pm »
You are correct. The insulin needles are harder to inject and a bit more difficult to get rid of the bubbles. It just takes a bit of practice and you get use to it. I do prefer them to the ones that come with the kit. The 5/16 are the best but they bend very easily. Careful with them.
Catman

Meow to the birds
Meow to the tree's
Meow to the end
of this dreadful disease...

Offline allanq

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 01:25:33 pm »
I know what you mean about it being difficult to draw out the Fuzeon solution with a 30 gauge needle. I tried doing it and gave up.

Here's a solution that has worked for me.

I mix two Fuzeon vials with the same 3-cc syringe, and I save that needle to draw out the first of the two doses of Fuzeon. Then I swap needles, replacing the 23G needle with the 30G needle to do the actual injection. The shorter plunger on the 3-cc syringe makes it much easier to handle.

The second dose is a little more straight-forward. You can use a new 3-cc syringe to extract the solution and then do the needle swap as above to do the injection.

An extra benefit of this method is that by using a "virgin" needle for the actual injection, the silicone coating on the needle remains intact, which makes it easier to pierce the skin. If you use the same needle to extract the solution and do the injection, that silicone coating is removed when it pierces the rubber cap on the Fuzeon vial.

The needle swap routine requires that you re-use the 23G 3-cc syringe for the first of the two injections, but since that needle never touches your skin, this is not a problem. You just have to remember not to engage the needle guard on the 23G needle until after you extract the solution for that first dose.

This might sound complicated, but after you do it once, you'll see that it's very easy. I find that I still get injection site reactions, but they're not as bad.

Always make sure that the needle is screwed tightly to the syringe. This helps reduce or eliminate air bubbles.

I hope this helps.

Allan
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 01:27:36 pm by allanq »

Offline Christine

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 06:19:37 pm »
Hi D.Clark,

When I was on Fuzeon, I had switched to the 31 gauge x 5/16 needle from the needles in the kit. I did think it was harder to draw up into the needle, I can't say I noticed any more bubbles.

I was having pretty bad injection site reactions from the kit needles, and found switching to the smaller gauge did help with the lumps, and bumps.

Two things I did not like about the smaller needles was how easily they bent.  And that they were not safety needles. Since my husband injected me at night, I would use the smaller needles myself, and he would use the needles from the kit.

Overall, I am glad I switched. It did help to decrease my ISR's.
Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline whizzer

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 07:10:46 pm »
The smaller gauge needles will not bend as readily if you slightly spin the syringe and you penetrate the skin.  I have never bent one, but I'm using 30ga and not 31 ga.  It is actually less painful to penetrate the skin that way than just sticking it in.

I have no difficulty drawing up the Fuzeon with a 30ga needle, I just draw the plunger back very slowly, and make sure I keep the needle WELL below the surface of the Fuzeon.

Christine:  The lack of a safety sleeve should not be a big issue if your husband does not attempt to re-cap the needle.  Simply do the injection and drop the whole thing into a sharps container.  If you feel you must recap the needle (which is STRONGLY discouraged) , make a safety shield around the cap.  Take a piece of cardboard about 4x4 inches, punch a hole just big enough for the cap to slide into tightly, then hold the cap with the cardboard protecting the hand from the needle.  Cheap and re-usable too.

My first Fuzeon kit came with these MONSTER 23ga needles that I wouldn't use on a horse.  Now my kits are coming with Terumo2 SurGuard 27ga needles.  I've injected with these in a pinch and they're not all that bad.  Plus you can aspirate a 27ga needle to see if you're by chance in a vein - something you can't really do with a 30ga or smaller needle.  I hate the guard though and snap it off before I use it, since it makes it harder to spin the needle.

I also inject very slowly.  It takes me about 90-120 seconds to do the injection.

Reconstitution time here now !!

Offline dgls44

!
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 10:06:01 am »
~
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 12:14:34 am by dgls44 »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.