Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:23:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 417
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 420
Total: 420

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: New Year, New Insurance  (Read 4874 times)

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
New Year, New Insurance
« on: January 08, 2012, 09:56:58 am »
Alright so my insurance benefits kick in on February 1st (I originally thought it would be 90 days from new employment but whatever).   I signed up for it online but they didn't ask about pre-existing conditions at all.  Is this an insurance company that's just ahead of the 2014 change or is the other shoe going to drop after I've used my insurance for the doctor and medicine and they charge me the full price of the bill.  Is anyone familiar with how this might work?  My last insurance asked about pre-existings but then covered them without questioning me.

Offline liketheboat

Re: New Year, New Insurance
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 11:01:51 am »
it all depends on the insurance carrier. you may still get a questioner in the mail, or they may just ask who your other insurance is thru and requst the information from them. did you have a lapse in coverage? if you did HIV might fall under a pre existing condition waiting period. (usually 6-12 months). sometimes during the waiting period they may cover the cost of an office visit, but deny anything else for pre existing (such as labs, procedures, or Rx). i am going to be going thru a swich of insurance in the next couple of months. since i work in the medical feild i did my research, called up the new insurance, (gave them the group number) and checked that my medications are covered under the drug formulary, and verified that my providers are prefered providers for the insurnace. i may have gone over board, but since ihave been doing medical billing for seven years i have seen what a horror story something like that can be if you dont plan for it and do a little bit of research.
Aaron
Memorial Day 2010 Seroconverted
Labor Day 2010 tested positive
Oct 2010 cd4 359 vl 6,500
Dec 2010 cd4 vl 306
Jan 2011 started Atripla
Feb 2011 cd4 250 vl ud
April 2011 cd4 399 vl ud
June 2011 cd4 293 vl ud
October 2011 cd4 354 vl ud
March 2012 cd4 561 vl ud

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 11:09:17 am »
it all depends on the insurance carrier. you may still get a questioner in the mail, or they may just ask who your other insurance is thru and requst the information from them. did you have a lapse in coverage? if you did HIV might fall under a pre existing condition waiting period. (usually 6-12 months). sometimes during the waiting period they may cover the cost of an office visit, but deny anything else for pre existing (such as labs, procedures, or Rx). i am going to be going thru a swich of insurance in the next couple of months. since i work in the medical feild i did my research, called up the new insurance, (gave them the group number) and checked that my medications are covered under the drug formulary, and verified that my providers are prefered providers for the insurnace. i may have gone over board, but since ihave been doing medical billing for seven years i have seen what a horror story something like that can be if you dont plan for it and do a little bit of research.

I was without a job for 2 months (so lapse there) and then it took 3 months for the new insurance to kick in, so all in all I've been without insurance for 5 months.  My former insurance sent me a letter of prior coverage but I don't know if there would be a 2 month window or a 5 month window.

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 09:41:59 am »
If your insurance is provided by your employer, somewhere there should be a summary plan description (SPD) for the health plan.  If your plan applies a waiting period for pre-existing conditions it should be spelled out in that document.

If it is a large company, there is probably a benefits department where you can call and ask for a copy of the SPD (or just ask the question in a generalized way). 
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline wolfter

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 09:55:38 am »
Sometimes under large group plans, there are no limitations on pre-existing conditions.  I'd contact the HR department and request a copy of the policy information.  I worked 2 different places where my insurnace covered my drugs immediately. 

Best of luck

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 10:06:02 pm »
Sometimes under large group plans, there are no limitations on pre-existing conditions.  I'd contact the HR department and request a copy of the policy information.  I worked 2 different places where my insurnace covered my drugs immediately. 

Best of luck

Wolfie

My employer is a massive international corporation so most likely it'll just cover everything immediately since they didn't even ask about pre existing.

Offline osric

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 03:33:40 am »

This is why we need health care reform. I have an individual plan since I don't have an employer (I'm self employed, which is a fancy way of saying unemployed) and I've been with the same insurer for over eleven years. Now I have to prove my residency every year (group members don't need to do that) which I find insulting. But otherwise I pay my big premium every month and thank ADAP for my meds. My case manager has been adamant that I make sure I keep paying my health insurance since losing my insurance and then trying to get a new plan could be a challenge.

Anyway I figure I paid thousands of dollars to the insurers for a couple of decades when I was in great health that it's payback time and I'd fight tooth and nail If they ever denied a claim or tried to discontinue my coverage.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.