Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 09:46:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773166
  • Total Topics: 66331
  • Online Today: 286
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 234
Total: 235

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: All or Nothing  (Read 3550 times)

Offline Jeffreyj

All or Nothing
« on: December 22, 2007, 03:17:44 am »
Last week, I was one med short of my 3 med cocktail.

I was not sure what to do, so I took two of the meds.

My DR says it is better to not take any meds at all. I did not know this, so I thought I would pass this info on to everyone. If you have heard different, please advise.
Thanks...
Positive since 1985

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
Re: All or Nothing
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 08:23:29 am »
Did he tell you why?  I'm just curious because this is the opposite of what I would think.  I'd be like you and take what I had.

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline sdcabincrew74

• My Manhunt account
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 09:36:37 am »
My doctor told me the same thing.  All or nothing and never do the every other day thing to spread out your supply if you are running low. 
The difference between an overnight and a layover is luck!

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 10:48:18 am »
My doc told me the same thing Jeff...  All or nothing..

Eric

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 12:44:10 pm »
Hey Gang,

The reason it should be all or none is the meds actually counter one another, so that a virus that gets by one of the meds is caught by the others.

That is why mono and duo therapy failed back in the early and mid 90s.

By not taking one of the meds, you are actually opening the door for mutated viruses to develop that the meds can no longer control.

The same holds true with "spacing out" the meds to make them last longer. Wrong! You must have a certain concentration of the medication in your system for it to be effective. The pills (capsules, whatever) are designed to provide that level in the bloodstream for a specified period of time.

It would be like trying to drive your car with an empty tank to make the gas last longer. It just doesn't work.

Take the meds as prescribed and on time. If you run out of one of them, don't take any of them, with the exception of Sustiva, which lasts longer in the bloodstream than most of the meds it is combined with.

Better yet, get a pill box in which you can set out a week's worth of meds. That way, when you run low, you will know in advance and then can have them refilled, negating the need to skip meds for any reason.

It works for me. I would forget my head if it weren't attached.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline allanq

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 04:16:18 pm »
Since Sustiva stays in the system so long, if your regimen includes Sustiva, even stopping all the meds at once is going to be a problem. It looks like doing that could cause you to become resistant to Sustiva.

This seems to mean that if you're taking Sustiva, you need to be extra special careful to make sure that you don't run out of any of your meds.

Allan

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 04:48:53 pm »
I am not a stickler for taking my meds at the same time every night but I take them. Maybe with a difference of an hour or 2 every night. I just can't seem to take them at the same time, I don't know why. I have never missed taking any of my hiv meds. My doc drilled it in my head that I can't. I do get a bit lax with my diabetic pills sometimes...
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline minismom

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 06:25:06 pm »
Thanks, Mark, that really does make sense now that you've explained it.  I have a spin-off questions along the same line: is it ok to take a reduced amount of a med?  Here was our situation: Mini was prescribed 300mg of susteva 2x/day. She takes a 200mg pill and a 100mg pill.  The pharmacy was having trouble finding her 100mg pill for a few days.  We continued to give her the 200mg pill until we got in her 100mg pill and then gave her the full 300mg.  Should we have not given her the 200mg and waited until the 100mg pill came in and we could give her the full dose?

mum
www.watoto.com
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 08:10:01 pm »
Queen, I'm like you. I'm more often off 2-3 hours at least 3 times a week. It's almost impossible for me to take them every twelve hours. But , hey, I'm still here(Though I know that's being bad. I just sleep 14 hours at times. Must be the culmination of years of mono and god knows what other kind of therapies I've had in the past 24 years.

Mark thanks for that nice explanation. You should be a DR...have you looked into that?

Mum- Sorry my DR did not explain why...I rarely ask him for the science of it all-its like the more I know, the more I worry. I know that's maybe a bit weird, but I fell I need to work on the emotional part of HIV. I leave the science to the experts._ Good question about the partial dosing. Maybe Mark can answer that....good luck with that.

Stay strong everyone.
Positive since 1985

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 06:26:44 pm »
That is a good question though---- Does not taking meds at the same time cause mutations or resistance? Anyone?
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline minismom

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2007, 09:24:35 pm »
This was my biggest concern about mini and her meds.  Her PID told us that it was absolutly imparative that once we decided on a med schedule that we had to stick to it.  She said that any significant variation in time could allow her virus to mutate and become resistant to the medication.That's why we were so paranoid all the time.  But, I've read posts from folks here that have taken a full holiday from meds then went back on them and they were still effective.  So, truly, i have no idea.  ;D Good question, tho.

Mum
www.watoto.com

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.