Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:19:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 230
Total: 232

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: HIV Exposure with transsexual prostitute  (Read 23976 times)

Offline auspex

HIV Exposure with transsexual prostitute
« on: April 28, 2012, 04:28:52 am »
Hi there,

I recently had sex with a transsexual with vagina and at some point during the intercourse the condom broke. I don't know how long I was exposed maybe a couple of seconds, maybe a couple of minutes. Definitely not more than a minute, but I also understand that the time means really nothing in this case. Anyway, I'm freaking out a lot. It was my first time having sex with a prostitute and of course I used condom from the beginning, and I can't understand why it broke, but it did...

I am really scared to death. Last night I couldn't sleep, I was trembling, sweating... basically I've been the whole night with this fear in my head and I just need to ask or talk to someone and get some advice, what I have to do, how, and what's the chances I got infected by HIV or any other disease.

... Also she assured me that she is cleaned and that she gets tested regularly because of his job. But obviously that doesn't relieve me.

I am so so scared... I don't think I can handle this. I need some professional advice.

Thanks you so much

:'(

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: HIV Exposure with transsexual prostitute
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 09:13:28 am »
Aus, you had a risk but a low level one. As the insertive partner you are at a much lower risk than the receptive partner is. And this was a single and very brief exposure. The condom protected you until it broke.

My expectation is that you will come out of this ok. You can test initially at 6 weeks after the incident. Assuming you test negative as I expect you will, then it becomes even more likely you will continue to test negative at 13 weeks for a conclusive negative result.

Sometimes air trapped in a condom can cause breakage. In the future just by pressing the tip of the condom will expel air from the condom and avoid breakage.
We've had many, many reports of condom breakage here and to date none of them have resulted in the wearer becoming infected.

We don't use the term "clean" with regard to HIV status. That implies someone with HIV is dirty. It's a virus and one is either negative or postive.

Hang in there. I expect you to come out of this ok.
Andy Velez

Offline auspex

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 03:18:26 am »
Thanks a lot Andy. Can't really say your advice really calms me down but it makes me feel a bit better... Today I'm going to the doctor to tell the story, and see what he suggests. I've been since then googling like crazy about this. I found that the doctor could prescribe something to reduce the chances of infection within the first 3 days. today is day and a half so I'll see what the doctor says...

It's unbelievable, it was my fist time with a prostitute, and I'm so terribly scared that it will be for sure the last time. Haven't been able to sleep since then... This horrible experience is changing me as a person. I hope, I really hope it stays as just a lesson, the best lesson I have ever learnt

:'(

Offline auspex

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 04:10:55 am »
... I also keep reading that it's not that simple to get infected when the intercourse is with a woman... My case was with a transexual with vagina. I can't find this situation anywhere. could anyone tell my about the risk in this case?

Thanks a lot

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 09:28:57 am »
Aus, risk level is not at all about whom you are with, but what you do. So whether with a civilian or a pro, a female or a trans person, risk is only based on what you do.

In this case you had a low level risk because the condom broke. I don't have anything to add beyond what I have said previously including that I expect you to come out of this ok. You can test initially a 6 weeks. A negative at 6 weeks will point strongly to your continuing to test negative for a conclusive result at 3 months.

So you have some waiting time to get through. Get busy with other things in your life. That will help to pass the time more easily than you may imagine at this moment is possible. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline auspex

HIV DUO test
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 11:33:40 pm »
Hi there,

I recently read that HIV DUO test is quite accurate 28 days after the exposure. Could anyone confirm this, or give me his/her opinion about it?

Thanks a lot

Offline auspex

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 02:30:26 am »
Hi Andy,

First of all, thanks a lot for your encouraging words. Can't say that make me feel much better but a bit it does.

Now I'm starting the long long long journey of waiting these 6 weeks for the first test. I hope, I really hope you are right, I do really hope.

It's funny, I don't believe in God, but this horrible experience is making me pray, why ?, not sure, but I think it's changing me as a person.

I need to unburden myself... I am... well, I was with a girl who I am in love with... well, after this experience anyone will say that that is not true since I had sex with a prostitute when I was drunk, while I was with her. I'm a horrible person, but don't worry, I won't have unprotected sex with her because I basically decided to break up. She doesn't deserve this and I don't deserve her.

I deserve everything that is happening to me, and that's why I'm involved in all this. I have to come to terms with it.

I'll try to continue my life the best I can, although this is going to be a hard physiological test. Like I said, this has changed me as a person and I've learnt three important lessons:

1. Don't take things for granted, above all things that you really care about
2. Never, ever, ever, ever resort to a prostitute. If you feel lonely and need sex masturbation is easy, free and SAFER.
3. Be a better person

Like I said, this hard journey begins now... I'll post my results after 6 weeks. Please wish me good luck

Thanks

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 08:22:36 am »
I've merged your threads here. In the future please follow our rule as stated in the opening thread of this section, and write entries only this same thread.

Get focused on other things in your life. That will help to pass the waiting time more easily than you may imagine is possible.

I expect you will come out of this ok.
Andy Velez

Offline auspex

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 04:18:22 am »
Hi Andy,

First of all, sorry for creating more than one thread, it won't happen again...

Last question about this, since this constant fear doesn't seem to go away or at least ease... You say I had a low level risk, and to be honest those words don't seem to calm me down... Actually I don't think nothing will calm me down right now until I get the results in 6 weeks time and still I'll have to wait for three months to get the final results... Although I read hundreds of posts, comments, etc, and seems that the after 6 weeks test is quite accurate so that would be the only thing that would ease this fear...

So the question is, in your experience in this forum, could you please tell me how many people, roughly, have got infected with HIV after a condom breakage (please let's not forget that the condom might have been broken for between a couple of seconds to a minute or two) when they have been the insertive partner ?

Thanks so much

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 10:04:44 am »
Of all the condom breakage concerns we've received, and believe me there have been many, many of them, none have ultimately resulted in HIV transmission having occurred.

I am not expecting you to become the first.
Andy Velez

Offline auspex

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 11:22:48 am »
Thanks a lot... makes me feel much better, at least to go on with my life "normally" or as normal as I can... Thanks again Andy

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 03:48:38 pm »
You're welcome.

Keep us posted when you get tested.
Andy Velez

Offline auspex

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 11:02:56 am »
Hi there again,

I know this forum is more about HIV infection, and that's why I'd like to ask if someone could help me to find information about how long I have to wait to also test the rest of STD's... I'm not only concern about HIV but also every possible STD's I might have been exposed to... can I also get tested after 6 weeks and the results be accurate ?, and how accurate would those results be after 6 weeks for STD's ?, can I get tested before 6 weeks for STD's and the results be accurate enough ?

Thanks a lot

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 11:08:42 am »
Aus,

You can test for most of the other STI ten days to two weeks after a possible exposure.

However, syphilis shares a three month window period with hiv for a conclusive negative result.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline auspex

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 01:19:57 pm »
Thanks a lot for the response Ann, but would you know how accurate this test between 10 days and 2 weeks would be ?... it's been 10 days since the exposure and I'm so worry that I'd like to retest again for others STD's but if it's going to give me a false negative or positive I'd rather wait... Do you know any website where I can find the accuracy for this tests within 2 weeks ?... I just feel like I can't wait for 6 weeks without doing any test.

Thanks again

Offline auspex

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 02:41:59 am »
Answering to myself, I found this link:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_long_should_you_wait_to_get_tested_for_an_std_after_sex

I'm afraid that I'll have to wait minimum 6 weeks :-( . I'm getting quite nervous and paranoid because I'm having a weird feeling in my penis, like a burning feeling and I read it might be gonorrhea or chlamydia, although that would be the least of my worries. I'm really extremely scared of HIV and Hep B... All this story is a real nightmare and I can't wake up

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 06:39:24 am »
Aus,

If you're having symptoms like a burning feeling in your penis, then go test for chlamydia and gonorrhea sooner rather than later. I don't have much faith in the answers given in the link you provided - after all, they got the hiv testing window period absolutely wrong.

Ann
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 06:44:14 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline auspex

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 09:37:34 am »
Thanks Ann for the reply...

I'll wait until 2 weeks and see if it gets worse... It might be a false alarm since it doesn't hurt at all when I urinate. I think it's more the feeling left after the first test where the doctor stuck something inside my penis to take a sample and since then it's been kind of weird... Like I said, I'll wait until the second week which is in 4 days time. If it gets worse I'll get tested, if still there are not symptoms I'll stick to the 6 weeks wait

Thanks

Offline auspex

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2012, 06:28:51 pm »
Freaking out... I'm having testicular Pain for the last 2 days. I read that it's a symptom of Gonorrhea or Chlamydia... If this continues I'll have to go to the doctor and check :-(

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 06:35:33 pm »
We can't diagnose anything here. See your doctor promptly if it continues.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2012, 04:33:16 am »
Aus,

Pretty much everything I've ever read on gonorrhea and chlamydia (other than that dubious link you provided) say that they can be tested for ten days to two weeks after a possible exposure - or sooner if symptoms develop. Many people never experience a single noticeable symptom, despite being infected. Get your butt to a doctor already and get checked out.

You might want to read this article about emerging resistant strains of gonorrhea. It seems to be coming out of Japan, and I'd wager that you get more Japanese tourists and business people visiting Oz than you get visiting California, as discussed in the article. It's an American publication, so they're mainly concerned with the US.

I want you and anyone else reading this thread to understand that gonorrhea and chlamydia are VERY easily transmitted, UNLIKE hiv. Hiv is difficult to transmit. We've yet to see the insertive partner end up positive following a condom break in these forums and we do not expect you to be the first.

You wouldn't be the first to end up with gonorrhea or chlamydia following a condom break. Gonorrhea or chlamydia, yes. Hiv, NO.

Go see a doctor.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline auspex

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2012, 04:55:27 am »
Thanks a lot guys, and thanks Ann for the link... The pain I had yesterday night seems to have worn off, but still I can feel some discomfort in my testicles... Tomorrow, it'll be 2 weeks since the exposure and if I still have this discomfort I'll go straight to the doctor and tell him/her the problem. I was just trying to wait enough time so that the possible STD could be detected.

I'll keep you guys posted, and thanks again for the answers

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2012, 05:19:26 am »
Aus,

Because you've reported both a burning sensation in your penis and testicular discomfort, you need to get checked out even if it goes away. Chlamydia and gonorrhea both can be present without symptoms - and if one has slight symptoms and they go away, it can still indicate an infection. These infections don't go away on their own and they can cause problems (a form of arthritis is a common one) if left untreated.

See a doctor regardless of whether or not this latest problem goes away. Better safe than sorry.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline auspex

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2012, 08:45:38 am »
Hi Ann,

Thanks for the advice. I went to the doctor an explained the problem. The thing is, those symptoms lasted just a few days and they were quite mild, not pain, just unpleasant feeling. I don't know whether the doctor's advice was good or not, but he basically told me that if the symptoms are gone we might want to wait to the test after 6 weeks and if there is something it will show in there...

Today I have a new strange feeling, which is freaking me out. It's difficult to explain because there is not pain or anything it's just like this feeling one has when it's nervous. It's being like this for the last 4 days. I don't feel tired or have any pain really but it's kind of unpleasant. I guess it's this fear I have inside but I don't understand why it's still in there for the last 4 days... The thing is when I disconnect or I'm concentrated doing something it seems to disappear, but when this problem comes to my mind I have this weird feeling, like ants crawling my stomach or something like that... I don't know if that could be some kind of symptom.

It's been 2 weeks and a half and I'm still really scared. I was actually considering the idea of getting tested again in case some STD might show up

Thanks a lot

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2012, 08:51:10 am »
Like Ann says, "Better safe than sorry." If you have any lingering doubts about other STDs, check the matter out with your doctor is my suggestion.
Andy Velez

Offline auspex

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2012, 12:25:47 pm »
I'll go next Monday, since it'll be over 3 weeks after exposure and I'll get tested of everything, because this discomfort I have is being going on for 4 days and I can't understand... Could you guys give me an opinion about it ?. I can't explain it well, but it's just a discomfort in my body. I don't feel any pain, it's more like tiredness or discomfort when you're really nervous and you have this feeling of ants crawling all over your body. It's quite mild but it's killing me...

I wonder how accurate the results will be after only 3 weeks. I wonder if at least some STD might show up and if not how accurate could be... I'm so worried. I feel like I can't wait 6 weeks. I'm so extremely scared I might have got HIV that I can't sleep properly, I can't focus. This is horrible. I keep going back to the moment I pulled out and realized the condom was completely broken. I try to analyse the moment. I try to find out for how long the condom was broken. It could have been broken for several minutes. I should have washed my penis right away, but instead I panicked and left. I washed it when I came back home...

Please, could you guys give me some opinion about all this ?

Thanks a lot

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2012, 01:07:46 pm »
You've already been told more than once our evaluation of your condom break as a very low level risk. And our expectation that ultimately you will test negative for HIV.

Except for syphilis which can have a  3 month window period like HIV, other STDs will show generally show up within a couple of weeks after an exposure.

We can't diagnose anything in this setting. That's why you need to check things out with your doctor. Frankly I don't see that we can add anything more to what has already been said to you.

Andy Velez

Offline auspex

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2012, 03:25:08 am »
Hi Andy,

I know you guys can't add anything else. I know that you guys have said everything that can be said in this situation. I know you guys can't evaluate or give me any diagnosis. I don't really expect much more from you guys... but I'm so scared that I need some relief to keep going... I need to stop searching for symptoms on internet because it seems that every time I read about possible symptoms for this and that I seem to have it. I'm too focus on changes in my body, feelings, etc... I think I'm having anxiety attacks. Even though you guys and the doctor told me to wait for the 6 weeks test I feel like I can't wait and that the only thing that could give me some relief and strength to keep going is getting tested again and see the results... At the same time I fear to know the results. I'm terrible scared that something might show up and if it does I hope it's something that can be treated and cured.

Anyway, thanks Andy for your answer and I'll keep you guys posted

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 03:39:26 am by auspex »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2012, 07:59:16 am »
Do yourself a very big favor and stop surfing the net. You won't find the answer that only an HIV test can provide but you will find lots to increase your fears. So cut it out, bud.

And for what it's worth I still see it as very likely you will come out of this ok.
Andy Velez

Offline auspex

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2012, 03:52:13 pm »
Hi guys,

came back with a new problem that is bugging me, just to top it off :(. Since my exposure I have had sex a couple of times with someone I know, ALWAYS with condom. We started like a week ago. Yesterday we had sex and when we finished, I waited for too long so my penis got flaccid and when I pulled out the condom stayed half inside, half outside. It didn't really worry me because the condom always protected us and the fact that half the condom was outside means that non fluid could have touched each other. I just pulled the condom out... I wasn't worry until today, 24 hours later, she told me that she's got sick, feel tired, pain in her muscles and with infection in her vagina... I'm really scared now, not much for me because I'm pretty sure I was protected but for her because I'm still waiting for the 6 weeks test and if I have something I'm worried I might have passed it on to her... I'm worry about STDs, but I'm not sure if it's just coincidence or I could have transmitted something to her with symptoms in just 24h... I need to add that I penetrated her with my fingers so that could be the reason why she got infection in her vagina... I don't know...

Could you guys please analyze this situation and tell me in your expert opinion if we've been protected well and it could be just coincidence ?.

She's going to the doctor tomorrow to see what's going on with her... I'm praying it's just coincidence and that I haven't passed anything on to her

Please, let me know. Thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2012, 03:41:45 am »
Aus,

Well, I can tell you for certain that hiv isn't the problem here. If symptoms of seroconversion happen (they don't always), they don't happen a mere 24 hours later. They normally take around two weeks to develop. You could have given her a bacterial infection when you fingered her. It could also be an irritation from the latex condoms you've been using. She needs to see her doctor to get it sorted out.

Did you ever test for gonorrhea and chlamydia? As I've told you before, these two bugs are MUCH more easily transmitted than hiv could ever hope to be. Get your butt to a doctor and get check out if you haven't already.

From now on, make sure you hang on to the condom when you pull out. The slippage you experienced is a common thing - but no, it did not put either one of you at risk for hiv infection. Make sure you read through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use them correctly and with confidence.

I'm still expecting you to test hiv negative, but you must test to know for sure. Don't forget to get tested for ALL the STIs while you're at it.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline auspex

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2012, 04:49:01 am »
Hi Ann,

thanks a lot for your quick answer. Makes me feel a bit better... I have to say that this is not the first time this happens to her. We already had sex long ago, with condoms, and she also got infection after that... I talked to her and it seems that she is quite prone to get vaginal infections... I just hope it's not because of me, or if it's because I was fingering her for a while I hope it's just a normal infection, nothing serious...

I never went to get tested after those mild symptoms I had. I'm also a bit scared and that's another reason why I didn't go yet. It's been almost 4 weeks since my exposure and I just thought that if I get tested now and it comes negative I will still be quite scared since you guys always say it's better the get the first test after 6 weeks... I wanna stick to those 6 weeks to make sure everything is fine or at least have a better accuracy...

But, if you guys think that I should at least get tested for others STD I will go, but how about the window periods for other STDs ?. Do you guys know about this ?. Do you guys think that if I get tested know STDs will show accurately enough ?

Thanks so much
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 04:50:49 am by auspex »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2012, 05:09:04 am »
Aus,

I've already told you that you can test for most of the other STIs ten days to two weeks following a possible exposure, or sooner if you develop symptoms.

It sounds like this woman may have a latex sensitivity. Latex sensitivity is not an outright allergy, but if she is sensitive to latex, using latex condoms may irritate her and make her feel like she has an infection. Also, the irritation can make her more prone to getting bacterial infections. I know this because I experience this myself. Latex sensitivity is fairly common.

Get some polyurethane condoms (such as Avanti) and see if that doesn't help. Polyurethane condoms also protect against hiv and other STIs and you can use any lube with them you like, it doesn't have to be water-based like with latex condoms.

There is another possibility here - she's got a sensitivity to the spermicide that is included in the lube on some pre-lubed latex condoms. It's called nonoxynol-9 (or N-9). Check the label on the box of condoms. I recommend you do not use condoms that have N-9 nine on them.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline auspex

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2012, 05:17:57 am »
5 weeks an a half since my exposure. I'm really scared to get tested next week... I didn't get tested for all the STIs yet, Ann. I'll do it next week along with the HIV test... I was wondering if that could give me a false negative for some of the STIs, the fact that I waited up for too long... Anyway, I'm getting really nervous, even more than at the beginning, I'm scared to death to get the results. I hope to have the strength to go and do it . I'm praying to God almost every day to make me come out of this ok...

I'll test for HIV, syphilis, chlamydia, hepatitis A-B-C, gonorrhea, Herpes... I'll try to test every possible STI.

I got a girlfriend and I'm having troubles having sex with her because of my fear to pass something on to her, even though we're using condoms. Can't focus and it's difficult for me to get hard just because I have this in my mind and can't concentrate. I don't wanna blow this relationship because I really like her but she might think I have problems with sex and what she doesn't know is that it's this worry I have and not really me the problem.

By the way, Ann, we're trying condoms without latex to see if these ones don't cause her infection.

Anyway, please pray for me and wish me luck for next week test.

Thanks a lot
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 05:37:51 am by auspex »

Offline auspex

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2012, 05:57:35 am »
The day is getting closer and I'm starting to fall apart. I can't focus at all, I can't concentrate. The fear of also getting Hepatitis B which is much more easy to catch is eating me up. The prostitute I had the exposure with didn't look too healthy to me, a 54 years old prostitute, quite skinny and she also offers cum swallowing, which means that she most likely has been exposed to Hepatitis B and caught it. My only relief would be if she is either vaccinated or is already immune to Hepatitis B. She insists in that she doesn't have any disease, but I can't believe her...

Can't shake off all these fears and I'm soooo terribly scared I could pass something on to my current girlfriend. She doesn't know anything. I can't tell her and I love her so much... I've been having sex with her for like a month, with condom, and kissing her and fooling around and suddenly I have this fear that I might have passed her on Hepatitis B if I caught it.

I know this forum is oriented to HIV, but this is the only place where I can talk about my fears, and Hepatitis B has also become my fear along with HIV

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2012, 06:36:26 am »
Aus,

Good lord - dramatic much? You're blowing this way out of proportion. Knock it off already.

It's really offensive to judge people's health status going by how they look. You can knock that off as well. Hep B isn't spread strictly by sexual activities, it can be spread in other ways too. You and your girlfriend should both be vaccinated against hep A and B - it's what smart adults do to protect themselves from these two pathogens.

You are highly unlikely to test hiv positive over a condom break. I've yet to see the insertive partner end up positive following a condom break and I really don't expect you to be the first.

Just gather up your cajones and go test.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline auspex

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2012, 07:32:27 am »
Ok, I got the results... After 46 days or 6 weeks and a half I got negative for everything: HIV, Hepatitis B and C, Gonorrhea, Chlamydia, Syphilis... The doctor told me what you guys have been telling me the whole time, that the exposure was a low level risk for HIV. He also told me that in Switzerland, where I live and got tested the 6 weeks result is almost conclusive and that I'll get negative quite likely after 3 months, like 99% sure I'll test negative, but just in case I should get tested.

My worry about HIV has plummeted and I feel quite relieved... but still I'm scared about Hepatitis B and C which still could show up

I'm asking and asking this prostitute I had sex with to please tell me if she knows she has Hepatitis B or C and she keeps on telling me that she does not, that I shouldn't worry so much, but I can't help it...

In any case these are good news to go on with my life and this time I'm sure I'll be able to sleep much better, but still I have to wait another 6 months to have a conclusive result.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2012, 10:49:29 am »

but still I have to wait another 6 months to have a conclusive result.

Not on the planet I live on - planet earth. What planet do you live on?

A negative test at three months will be conclusive for everything. And quit worrying about hep C - it is not transmitted through vaginal intercourse. Unless you were sharing drug injecting equipment with the sex worker, you're fretting about hep C for no good reason. Knock it off.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline auspex

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2012, 11:35:55 am »
Oh, I'm so sorry, I meant 6 weeks, not 6 months. My mistake...

Right, so I don't have to worry about Hep C... ok, so, my only worry is Hep B now, which is the one that could become chronic and quite infectious as far as I've read. I can't believe I'm not vaccinated against it. If by good luck I didn't catch it, for sure the next thing I'm going to do after the result will be get vaccinated against it...

Can't believe I still need to wait another 6 weeks for this, what a nightmare. If I come out of this ok, I can assure you that I am NOT ever EVER again going to turn to a prostitute and next time I have sex I'll make sure to follow all the indications about how to use a condom properly, that is if I even feel like having sex with an unknown person

Thanks Ann... fortunately I'm still living in planet Earth ;-)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 06:18:34 pm by auspex »

Offline auspex

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2012, 03:03:12 am »
Just a follow up with my case... I went to the doctor yesterday since I've been experiencing some symptoms, some headaches and nausea for the last two weeks , eye twitching for the last 4 days and pale/yellow stool for the last 2 days. I got some tests and everything seems to be fine. The doctor told me there is nothing about my symptoms that might hint at HIV... In any case the pale/yellow stool might be related to my liver and I got tested for Hepatitis. There is no sign of it after 10 weeks and my liver is fine. The headaches and nausea seem to be sinuses and the eye twitching could be just stress, which I wouldn't be surprised since I'm extremely stressed with this... Also the doctor told me that there is no point in testing now for HIV since in any case I'll have to re-test after 12/13 weeks to have a conclusive result, although it's a very good sign that it came negative after 7 weeks.

We have ruled out Gonorrhea and Chlamydia. They are out of the picture. So I just need to re-test for HIV, Hepatitis B/C and Syphilis...

I'm quite confused about Hepatitis B, since two doctors told me that I don't need to test again for it after a 10 weeks negative result... But another doctor told me that I should still test after 3 months. One of the doctor who told me I don't need to test for Hepatitis B is from http://hepb.org/ ... This person assured me that I'm fine with that result, and the next step is to get vaccinated

Anyway, I'm getting close to my last test and I feel a bit more confident... I hope, I really hope everything comes negative

Thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2012, 07:41:22 am »
Aus,

There is no doubt in my mind that you will continue to test hiv negative after that 46 day negative. As I've already told you, I have yet to see the insertive partner end up positive following a condom break and you're not going to be the first.

There is also no doubt in my mind that you will test hep C negative. You haven't had a risk for hep C. Your hep B result won't change either - and please take your doctor's advice and get vaccinated. All adults should be vaccinated against hep B.

Make sure you're using condoms correctly and you won't have to go through all this drama again.

There are two main causes of condom breakage.

One is not using enough water-based lube. Not using enough (or any) lube causes friction that may break the condom.

The other is having an air bubble in the tip. When putting a condom on, you need to pinch the tip between the finger and thumb of one hand, while rolling it down with the other.

Once it's on, give it a firm stroke from tip to base while watching the tip. If there is air in the tip, you'll see it. If there IS air in the tip, roll it back up and try again.

If it's dark and you can't see the tip well, when you do (what I call) the "stroke test", when you get to the bottom of the stroke, keep a firm grip of the condom and penis at the base and touch the tip with your other hand.

If there IS air present, you'll feel the bubble making the tip stand up and away from the head of the penis. If there IS NO air, the tip will be sucked up tight against the head of the penis.

Once you're sure there is no air bubble in the tip, apply plenty of water-based lube and go for it.

Make sure you do the stroke test and use plenty of lube when you're using condoms and you won't have one break on you again. And you'll spare ALL of us this drama (along with staying hiv negative).

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline auspex

« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2012, 04:37:06 pm »
Patience is not one of my main virtues... I found a clinic next to my office that offers rapid tests for HIV and Syphilis. They give you the results after 30 mins... So decided to get tested again for these two, before my last test in 10 days' time... so 80 days after exposure I got HIV and Syphilis negative... I'm starting to see the light at the end of this dark tunnel. I actually might be lucky and make it... Hep B is still a concern because I asked 4 different doctors and only two coincide in the accuracy of after 10 weeks test for Hep B. The third one said that 3 months should be accurate enough... but last one told me that I have to wait 6 month which I took as a "bucket of cold water on" (if that's the correct expression in English)... How come I have different answers from different doctors ?, who should I believe ?, who's right ?. I know Hep B is not the purpose of this forum, sorry about harping on and on about the same. I'll try to find help in forums dedicated to Hep B

By the way, thanks Ann for your answers.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2012, 05:09:16 pm »
A negative for HIV at 80 all but guarantees you another negative result when you retest at 3 months. And I suggest re-testing just for your peace of mind.

And yes, 3 months absolutely is enough for a conclusive and reliable negative result.

Our focus here is strictly on HIV so you will have to discuss any other concerns you may have with your doctor(s).

As far as HIV is concerned you're practically in the all clear now.
Andy Velez

Offline auspex

« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2012, 07:34:00 am »
Thanks a lot Andy for your answer... do you know or could you guys please provide me with some website or forum were I can find answers to my Hep B questions ?. I'm asking in forums but either I don't get answers or it's only people without proper knowledge about Hep B and I can't trust them. I need more professional opinion

Thanks a lot

Offline auspex

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2012, 07:48:06 am »
I found this website, http://www.hepb.org/, which seems to be dedicated to Hep B, I contacted some of the experts, Maureen Kamischke, and she told me that the blood test I had after 6 weeks and a half was conclusive enough to say I didn't catch Hep B. They also provide this interactive app, http://www.hepb.org/hepatitisbcd/modules/infectd/id450101/id459101g.html, where they explain that after the exposure it'll take between 4 to 6 weeks until the virus is detected in the blood... But then I had this doctor who told me that I have to wait 6 month for a conclusive result :-(

Anyway, just wanted to post some information in case someone needs it

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2012, 07:50:42 am »
Then find a doctor that is educated and up todate on HIV testing.

http://www.cdc.gov/globalaids/Resources/pmtct-care/docs/TM/Module_6TM.pdf
Page 11
  In an adult, a positive HIV antibody test result means that the person is infected, a person with a negative or inconclusive result may be in the “window for 4 to 6 weeks but occasionally up to 3 months after HIV exposure. Persons at high risk who initially test negative should be retested 3 months after exposure to confirm results

Offline auspex

« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2012, 08:33:45 am »
Hi RapidRod,

I was talking about Hepatitis B. In terms of HIV everything is clear to me and I no longer have any doubt. All the doctors and answers coincide in window periods, tests, etc..  but thanks for the answer... The problem is with Hepatitis B. I just found different answers to the same questions from different doctors and that's where my confusion is. They don't seem to agree with window periods and when the virus will be detected in blood after the possible exposure.

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 08:40:05 am by auspex »

Offline auspex

« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2012, 12:17:21 pm »
In 4 days I'll get tested again for HIV, Syphilis and Hep B. That will be 12 weeks an a half after exposure. The reason why I'm not waiting for 13 weeks is because I'll be off somewhere where I won't know where to get tested... I'm freaking out for the last 4 days. 2 weeks ago I went to the doctor because I started having kind of yellow stool, or light brown, which is a possible symptom of Hepatitis B. I got checked out and everything came negative, not infection in my liver, nothing in my pancreas, everything was normal. Next day the color came back to normal... 4 days ago I'm having the same problem again, but this time for the last 4 days in a row. It's got a kind of golden color, light brown and I keep searching on internet and it's a possible symptom of Hepatitis B. Why did it come back ?, could it be because of anxiety ?, I'm extremely stressed because of this. The day is getting closer and I'm much more worried than before. I don't wanna go to the doctor because I'll go there soon to get tested, besides the fact that he's sort of tired of me going there completely freaked out... Even though 2 doctors told me that I'm good in terms of Hep B, why am I having this problem now ?, could it be something not related to Hep B ?, maybe coincidence ?... All this is a completely nightmare. I know the forum is exclusively for HIV, but could anyone please give me some opinion about this golden stool I'm having for the last 4 days ?. Thanks a lot.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 12:52:20 pm by auspex »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2012, 08:11:22 am »
Aus,

We cannot diagnose your stool here. You should know that by now. Go see a doctor if you're worried.

You're getting seriously close to a time out.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline auspex

« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2012, 10:43:29 am »
Sorry about that Ann... won't happen again

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.