Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2024, 07:29:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773263
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 185
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 144
Total: 147

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: To Dye or Not To Dye ... My Hair  (Read 8559 times)

Offline AndyArrow

To Dye or Not To Dye ... My Hair
« on: April 18, 2008, 01:11:41 am »
Here's the story:

I started going gray when I was 14 years old.  This lovely gene I got from my mother who at 40 was completely gray.  At least she would have been if she didn't dye her hair.  I wasn't too upset about going gray at 14 since my cousin, who I did not like, started going gray at 12.  Naturally, I was happy that I had outlasted him by 2yrs.

My hair is brown with reddish highlights ... except all the red is turning gray.  Oh, to be 11 again!  So, here's the big vanity question do I keep it au naturel or visit Miss Clairol.

AA
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: To Dye or Not To Dye ... My Hair
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 01:16:36 am »
Matty the Damned sez "If you have to ask, you should take to the dye pot."

MtD

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 02:04:14 am »
There is no such thing as natural beauty. (My apologies to Steel Magnolias.)

If I were to let my hair grow out, I'm sure it would be mostly grey at this point. at least, what's left of it.

I would probably look like a beige bowling ball in a grey grass skirt. Not this boy.

So, the hair on the head is carefully shaved daily. The beard is as natural as Cher is. ::)

I think of it this way. If it makes me feel better about myself, I'm going to do it. So, Andy, do what makes you feel good about yourself. In other words, Dye baby, dye!  ;)

HUGS,

Mark

P.S. Wait until you start contemplating dying your pubic hair!
 :o
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 02:06:47 am by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 02:29:15 am »

LOL  ... Thank's I needed that. 
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 02:30:05 am »
Unlike Mark, I have no apologies to Steel Magnolias.  I have natural beauty and it takes a lot of effort to get there.  I have had every hair color there is and accidentally made up a few of my own.  If you don't like the finished color, you can cover it up with something else.  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 02:58:32 am »
Unlike Mark, I have no apologies to Steel Magnolias.  I have natural beauty and it takes a lot of effort to get there.  I have had every hair color there is and accidentally made up a few of my own.  If you don't like the finished color, you can cover it up with something else.  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Been there and done all that too. Accidentally turned my hair parakeet green, Nothing would cover it until a black girlfriend of mine recommended Flame Red. It worked, the green/red turned brown, though she liked the green and wanted to know my secret  ;D
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline Roie

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 02:59:38 am »
  If you don't like the finished color, you can cover it up with something else.  ;D  Have the best day

... or you could just wait for it to wash/grow out eventually.

Dye definitely if you want a change and want something different, Why ever not?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 03:02:11 am by Roie »
Cruise on down the High Way

"When people who are not ready jump in, things can go horribly wrong. For most of us, there is always time to take a deep breath, consider one's options and make a careful, sound decision based on clinical fact, not emotion."
MtD

Offline mjmel

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 04:49:38 am »
I happen to like gray, especially when it's a silvery gray on sides and also like salt and pepper look too. I also like redheads, blonds, black hair and brown hair.
You must do whatever blows your skirt up.
Dye it, then.

Mike

Offline fearless

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 07:13:09 am »
The red in my hair and beard has gone gray. I've never bothered to dye it though. But, if your thinking about it there's no harm in giving it a try. As Roie said it will grow/wash out relatively quickly.

Now, what colour were you thinking?
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 07:34:02 am »
I happen to like gray, especially when it's a silvery gray on sides and also like salt and pepper look too. I also like redheads, blonds, black hair and brown hair.
You must do whatever blows your skirt up.
Dye it, then.

Mike

That's my position, too.  More salt than pepper on my chin these days, and the occasional gray in the chest hairs.  So far, the mop up top is holding out.  I don't mind gray, though.  Kinda like it.  Of course, this opinion subject to change once it's on my own head.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 08:02:34 am »
More importantly. If one dyes should one disclose?

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 08:06:09 am »
I dye (bleach) my hair once a month religiously. 

If you do color it, and you don't like the color, like Michael said, you can get another one.  I wouldn't do it with the stuff I use, as it's professional bleach; if I immediately put another color on it, my hair would probably fall out. 

I say go for it; but don't disclose.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 08:30:24 am »
In many states it's illegal not to divulge that you've had a dye job. Or is it a blow job?

Offline dgr20002

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 08:32:49 am »
Whatever you do colorwise make sure the eyebrows match  :o

Offline Peter6836

• Me and my Granddaughter Noa
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 08:57:12 am »
Andy,
Looking at your picture I would say your handsome no matter what the color of your hair. Keeping that in mind,,,,, My hair has been every color under the sun like many others. There was even a time I kept it white, trying to mimic grey. Your under 50, so I would say dye,,,dye,,,dye. At 53 I have stopped and let the natural thing take over.
Peter
PS> I would suggest a professional hair dresser, stay away from the all over drab one color, grocery store dye job, you deserve better.

Offline David_CA

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 09:03:06 am »

And a snatch to match, too.
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline bear60

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2008, 09:37:07 am »
Hi
I would have to agree with Peter on this one....."> I would suggest a professional hair dresser, stay away from the all over drab one color, grocery store dye job, you deserve better."
Friend of mine had the worst color job and everyone was too polite to tell him they thought it looked bad.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline rondrond

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2008, 10:03:16 am »
Hi
I would have to agree with Peter on this one....."> I would suggest a professional hair dresser, stay away from the all over drab one color, grocery store dye job, you deserve better."
Friend of mine had the worst color job and everyone was too polite to tell him they thought it looked bad.

ROFL  When I accidentally (note: all these exotic colors on my head, were always the product of an accident) Tweety Bird Yellow with Orange highlights....I think I was going for something called Ravishing Blonde, well, that didn't happen. Fortunately, it was close to Halloween and I just passed it off as "I'm working on a costume". I was a supervisor in an Americna Airlines call center at the time, and all 40 of my employees hit the floor and disappeared the day I thought "it doesn't look that bad". 8)...I had to wear a hat for the rest of the day for any work to get done on the floor as they could not seem to leave me alone....

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2008, 11:41:15 am »
Lord, when I was a young queen I had my hair just about every color; one time burgundy with strawberry highlights....my Dad about had a stroke.   I'm sure it's one of the reasons I am bald today!

They have this new dye for men, my friend D. and I were looking at it last night at Wal-Mart...he bought some.   It is Just for Men (I think) and you can "choose" how much grey you wish to cover....it has a little comb that you comb the color through the parts you want to darken.

My natural hair is dark brown, almost black.   When I had hair (and I wore fake hair for 12 years) and when I have colored my facial hair, I learned to go a little lighter....if I buy "dark brown" it comes out looking "waitress black".
For the most part, I think if your face looks your true age, and you are over 50, if you color your hair 'dark', it looks ridiculous.   Younger than that -- I'd say it all depends on your preference.

Maybe it's just me being an old coot, but I genuinely LOVE silver hair.   Especially on dark haired men, with the temples just going silver....(sort of George Clooney-like).   Let us know what you decide! (and hopefully post a pic)

hugs,
Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline rondrond

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2008, 12:15:04 pm »
Coloring my hair has always made me feel 'pretty'. and lifts my spirits sometimes when I am down. it's just those dang roots....

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2008, 05:22:05 pm »

Be very careful with color around the eyes  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2008, 05:38:26 pm »
Wow ... I never expected to get so many responses.  I've been toying with the idea of several years.  Most of my hair is still a lovely (if only I think so) color brown.  Those pesky temples though are GRAY.

My goatee when I grow one is strawberry blond -- looks pretty funky!  I was thinking of going with a lighter brown so the gray wouldn't show as much.  I'll have to get a color picture take some day and so everyone.

AA

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2008, 05:42:51 pm »
I was quite pleased with the results of an auburn I tried once.

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2008, 05:50:07 pm »
Oh, to have hair to dye...

I say life is short, go crazy.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2008, 06:15:36 pm »
Hey Andy,

Remember when you dye hair... The instructions say to leave it in for 20 minutes before the rinse.  You will get better results if you leave the color agent in for 40 minutes.  The crap smells really bad.  I could have a handlebar mustashe or a full beard in about 30 days but... wait until you dye facial hair with all those chemicals right under your nose...  ;D  Shaving becomes a better option.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2008, 06:55:48 pm »
Andy, sometimes towns will have a beauty supply store that's open to the public.  I don't know what color you want, but they have coloring in there that beauticians use.  If your town has one, just go in a pick a color.  Then you'll have to get the creme developer.  The higher the number of the creme, the lighter the lift (color).  And, when you're done coloring it, wash it twice and use a deep conditioner.  When you put the deep conditioner on, comb it through so it's even.  After I bleach my hair (which I did today using a professional bleach), I leave the deep conditioner on for about 15-20 minutes.  Oh, and when you rinse the color out, use water as hot as you can stand it; that makes the hair strands grasp the color more.  Good luck and please let us know what you're going to do.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2008, 06:57:49 pm »
It's *ALL* about Sally Beauty Supply stores.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2008, 06:58:32 pm »
PS: I'm turning into Phillicia more and more each day, aren't I?
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2008, 06:59:38 pm »
It's *ALL* about Sally Beauty Supply stores.

Yes!

Offline rondrond

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2008, 05:10:54 am »
Wow ... I never expected to get so many responses.  I've been toying with the idea of several years.  Most of my hair is still a lovely (if only I think so) color brown.  Those pesky temples though are GRAY.

My goatee when I grow one is strawberry blond -- looks pretty funky!  I was thinking of going with a lighter brown so the gray wouldn't show as much.  I'll have to get a color picture take some day and so everyone.

AA

I'm admiring your new avatar and I realize, I'm not seeing any gray. So I have to ask, Did you color your hair? :-X

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2008, 09:01:18 am »
I'm admiring your new avatar and I realize, I'm not seeing any gray. So I have to ask, Did you color your hair? :-X

Yes, enquiring minds want to know.

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2008, 10:04:06 pm »
A great big cuddlely thank you ... the gray isn't too visible in that picture.  It's mainly at the temples where I'm really gray.  And the avatar is me in my natural state.  No hair color yet but I'm thinking it might be something fun to try for summer.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2008, 11:23:20 pm »
No hair color yet but I'm thinking it might be something fun to try for summer.

It's always fun to color the hair.  I would just do it.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.