Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 01:03:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37639
  • Latest: Glassxj
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773168
  • Total Topics: 66331
  • Online Today: 230
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 207
Total: 207

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Please please help me  (Read 8334 times)

Offline uk scared!!!

Please please help me
« on: February 13, 2012, 07:28:36 am »
I'm hoping somebody will be able to help me. I'm from the uk and stumbled across your site and although I have read reassuring information regarding my issues I just need someone to confirm some info.

I had unprotected vaginal sex will an ex boyfreind on October the 1st. His status is unknown to me. Beginning of December I went to the doctors with a suspected uti which they found no bacteria and wanted to test me for chlamydia ( which was neg) This obviously distressed me greatly and came back to the 1st of october incident.

I then started to freak out about HIV symptoms and had the most awful Xmas. I have cried everyday since the 16th of December. During the end of December u began to have night sweats every night and pains throughout my body. I went to the gum in England and tested for all stds And HIV, this would have been 16 weeks after the exposure and tested negative for everything.

I have now felt I'll for 7 weeks, I have been to my doctors and he gave me strong antibiotics as I had a temp, swollen glands and a constant urge to urinate. The symptoms have now passed after the antibiotics but I still feel so anxious. I must spend about 6 hours a day researching sites. The info is so confusing. Do I need to re test again at 6 months? I'm so worried please help me.

Offline RapidRod

Re: Please please help me
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 07:30:29 am »
You do not have an HIV concern, you have a conclusive test result.

Offline uk scared!!!

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 07:34:21 am »
Thanks for the prompt response. I was so scared I had some sort of seroconversion illness when I tested at 16 weeks that it would have tested neg. I'm hoping I can put this to bed now. It also freaked me out my doc told me my WBC was high as my immune system was trying to " fight" something. Would it have mattered which test the gum used? does serconversion not last 7 weeks. Some sites say its months?!

Offline uk scared!!!

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 07:41:00 am »
Also is this 1 test enough? I didn't test at 6 weeks? Just 16weeks? The timing is just all to coincidental fort liking. Can anxiety really manifest all these symptoms?!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 07:43:46 am »
Also is this 1 test enough? I didn't test at 6 weeks? Just 16weeks? The timing is just all to coincidental fort liking. Can anxiety really manifest all these symptoms?!
You only needed one test and your test was conclusive.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 07:50:39 am »
Scared,

The window period for hiv testing is three months and has been for several years now. Some (many) websites still promote the outdated six month window. Ignore them. In fact, you can pretty much ignore any hiv info such sites publish. If they can't get the window period right, the rest of their information is also suspect.

The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six WEEKS, with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days. A six week negative must be confirmed at the three month point, but is highly unlikely to change.

Your symptoms have nothing to do with hiv.

You are conclusively hiv negative. I am also in the UK and I can definitely tell you that the hiv tests used in GUM clinics are up-to-date and accurate, so stop worrying about that.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

ALTHOUGH YOU DO NOT NEED FURTHER TESTING AT THIS TIME, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline uk scared!!!

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 07:51:02 am »
Ok thanks. If your sure. I'm hoping this will not make me feel the need to retest at 6 months .... Anne/Andy there is such conflicting HIV info on the Internet. Is a lot outdated? I have read some stuff that contradicts everything you guys say! Such as you must re test at 6 months etc. annoying!! Puts the fear into us all. I know it was stupid and it's own fault but I wish some websites got with 2012 testing!!!

Offline uk scared!!!

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 07:52:17 am »
Whoops you posted when I did Anne. Thanks :)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 08:36:25 am »
Scared,

You're welcome.

but I wish some websites got with 2012 testing!!!

ME TOO!!! It drives me batty.

Make sure any lad you're having intercourse with is wearing a condom and wearing it correctly (see the condom and lube links in my signature line) and you will be well protected where hiv is concerned. Don't let yourself get into this predicament again - unprotected intercourse just isn't worth it. No "glove", no love!

Ann
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 08:38:25 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline uk scared!!!

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 12:43:08 pm »
Thanks Anne. I'm really sorry just one last question is it really unlikely my symptoms would arrive at 11 weeks and last for 7?! It all just seems so coincidental with the night sweats/ numbness in hands and feet/ swollen glands etc. I'm normally such a strong person and I feel like this has broken me down to a nervous wreck. everyone's been so worried about me and I'm do annoyed with myself!!! So 16 weeks is defo conclusive and it won't have been that I was experiencing these symptoms meant I would text negative as I hadn't produced enough antibodies yet? I won't post again I know you guys hate it.

Offline MASTERMAT

SERO CONVERSION
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 03:14:38 pm »
Edited to remove incorrect "information".

This person (MASTERMAT) has been given a time out for repeatedly ignoring our posting rules.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 05:45:51 am by Ann »

Offline uk scared!!!

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 03:18:27 pm »
Thanks but i'm from the uk. Your post has scared me even more!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 03:30:11 pm »
Thanks but i'm from the uk. Your post has scared me even more!
Disregard that reply, your test was conclusive and you do not need further testing.

Offline uk scared!!!

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 04:16:19 pm »
I know it's just the symptoms that drive me mad it's so coincidental!!! And that guy has shit me up!!! I was hoping someone would tell me that they wouldn't start at 10 weeks and last 7 :(

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 04:18:37 pm »
I know it's just the symptoms that drive me mad it's so coincidental!!! And that guy has shit me up!!! I was hoping someone would tell me that they wouldn't start at 10 weeks and last 7 :(
They don't and you have a conclusive test result to prove your symptoms have nothing to do with HIV.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, 05:02:32 pm »

"that guy" is not allowed to post in this forum. The moderators will take care of him.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline uk scared!!!

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2012, 05:08:26 pm »
Ok thank you. Everyone else has been really reassuring and I wasn't expecting that reply!

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2012, 05:14:40 pm »
Ok thank you. Everyone else has been really reassuring and I wasn't expecting that reply!

Honestly, neither was I. I cannot begin to tell you how inaccurate it was. Hopefully it will be removed before some hapless bloke reads it and thinks it was sanctioned.

Here at AIDSMEDS we pride ourselves on using ONLY the most up to date first tier peer-reviewed science-based fact when assessing risk and giving out information. For over HALF A DECADE (see, now I'm shouting) the window for HIV testing has been THREE months, not SIX.

And don't get me started on the rest of that rant. I'm tempted to pick it apart as damage control, but I fear that by the time I am finished researching it, the post will be removed.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2012, 05:16:38 pm »
Thanks Anne. I'm really sorry just one last question is it really unlikely my symptoms would arrive at 11 weeks and last for 7?! It all just seems so coincidental with the night sweats/ numbness in hands and feet/ swollen glands etc. I'm normally such a strong person and I feel like this has broken me down to a nervous wreck. everyone's been so worried about me and I'm do annoyed with myself!!! So 16 weeks is defo conclusive and it won't have been that I was experiencing these symptoms meant I would text negative as I hadn't produced enough antibodies yet? I won't post again I know you guys hate it.

It is not only unlikely, it is damned near unheard of.

12 weeks past exposure is definitive. Period.

And as far as ARS symptoms go, they do not linger.

Welcome Thread

Offline uk scared!!!

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2012, 05:18:21 pm »
Ok thank you so much. God bless you all what a fantastic job you all do. I'm very thankful to have found this site.

Offline uk scared!!!

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2012, 09:15:38 am »
Last one I promise!! My blood was taken at gum and was back within 2 days from the lab as the nurse saw how anxious I was as I had a panic attack in the room. Does this mean a rapid test would have been used instead of the 4th generation one?! It worries me that it was back so soon so the test may not have made this conclusive?! That man who's post was deleted has frightened me to death!!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2012, 10:48:18 am »
Scared,

If you had to wait two days for the results, it certainly was not a rapid test. When I was tested, it wasn't a rapid test yet the results were still back in 24 hours. Only difference is mine was positive. They only use current, accurate tests in the UK.

You absolutely do not have hiv. You have tested four weeks past the end of your window period. You are conclusively hiv negative.

Forget what some guy - who none of us know a single thing about - posted on the internet. Believe people who have been answering questions here for ten years and more in some cases, rather than some guy who only showed up here a few weeks ago.

You do NOT have hiv! If you continue to feel unwell, see a doctor. You have conclusively ruled hiv out of the picture.

If you read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline uk scared!!!

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2012, 04:30:10 am »
Could someone please clarify for me the
Possibility of a false negative? I am not
Questioning my results I'm just asking.
Almost everyone has at least 2 tests
( one early on then one at the 3 month mark)
and I only had one at 16 weeks. The gum
Have pretty much refused to re test me
On the basis that a one four month test post
Exposure is enough. I am working with
My doctor on my current health issues but
HIV is always in the back of my mind.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2012, 04:40:06 am »
Could someone please clarify for me the
Possibility of a false negative? I am not
Questioning my results I'm just asking.
Almost everyone has at least 2 tests
( one early on then one at the 3 month mark)
and I only had one at 16 weeks. The gum
Have pretty much refused to re test me
On the basis that a one four month test post
Exposure is enough. I am working with
My doctor on my current health issues but
HIV is always in the back of my mind.
Your question doesn't make sense? If 12 weeks is conclusive and you tested at 16 weeks what part are you not understanding?

Offline uk scared!!!

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2012, 04:42:26 am »
The fact that most people have 1 test early
On then a second test to confirm the negative
Result? With having just one is it a possibility
It was a false negative?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2012, 05:24:52 am »
The fact that most people have 1 test early
On then a second test to confirm the negative
Result? With having just one is it a possibility
It was a false negative?
No it is not possible to get a false negative that late in test, early testing yes.

Offline uk scared!!!

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2012, 05:45:12 am »
What auto immune diseases affect testing?
From being young I have always come out in a hive
Like rash due to being stressed or tired. It's bugging
Me that I haven't had this rash through this
Whole episode. Even though I'm mega stressed.
It's got me thinking this could effect the testing.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2012, 06:01:10 am »
■Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline uk scared!!!

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2012, 06:03:16 am »
Cheers!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2012, 06:59:36 am »
UK,

Autoimmune diseases can cause false POSITIVE results, not false negative results.

I don't blame your GUM for refusing to retest you. You are conclusively hiv negative and there is no point in wasting time, money and other resources for something that has already been ruled out as a cause of your problems. Stop stressing our over-stretched NHS with unnecessary testing.

Keep working with your GP to find out what, if anything, is actually wrong with you. You have already conclusively ruled hiv out - so start exploring other possibilities and stop worrying about a virus you do not have.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.