Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 12:43:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773187
  • Total Topics: 66334
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 277
Total: 278

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Fatty hangovers -- eating too much fat?  (Read 2295 times)

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
Fatty hangovers -- eating too much fat?
« on: January 06, 2007, 11:10:48 am »
Yes, I eat a stick of lard every day...

In November, 2001 I contracted chronic Hepatitis B but by January, 2006 the infection had been cured by the 3TC in my HAART combo.  Ever since the initial infection if I consume over 100% of the suggested daily fat intake the next day it feels as if I have a slight hangover.  Mostly it's a dull headache but sometimes a bit o' nausea plays into it.

Being a high-fat eater (give me a jar of peanut butter and I'll return a scraped-clean container within 2 hours -- peanut butter is not allowed in my house) this causes hangovers at least twice or thrice a month.  I've never asked my doctor about this but assume he'd be his usual noncommittal helpful self -- "don't eat so much fat."

Have any other co-infected (HBV or HCV + HIV) or other folks experienced this delightful phenomenon?  I assumed the situation would get better after I became antigen positive but it's been a year.  My liver functions are all in the normal range and were never that bad during the infection. 

The really fascinating part is I had Hep A in my 20s and for about a year or so after the infection I had a similar sensitivity to high-fat foods.  Maybe the symptoms will decrease over time.  Maybe I shouldn't eat as many 12 oz. chocolate bars as I do.  I already gave up eating nuts and trail mix with nuts because they really pack a wallop.

Any adipose advice is appreciated.

Boo

String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Fatty hangovers -- eating too much fat?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 06:44:01 pm »
you must have nice poops
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Tucsonwoody

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 06:54:04 pm »
Sorry I can't give any advice that would be helpful since I am one of those people who puts butter on their bacon as my nutritionist says.  So in my world I didn't even know there was such a thing as reduced fat.  Course that may change in the future but for now my lipid and cholesterol numbers are really good...practically the only good numbers I have left!
And I wished for guidance, and I wished for peace
I could see the lightning; somewhere in the east
And I wished for affection, and I wished for calm
As I lay there - Nervous in the light of dawn

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 07:59:47 pm »
Shoot.  I thought this thread was about love handles.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline cubbybear

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 08:18:07 pm »
I dare say that everything you're eating is a high glycaemic index food, which will give you a shot of energy briefly (apart from clogging your arteries and spiking your blood sugar), and then leaving you feel flat and hungover, especially when you wake in the morning when all that instant energy from the night before is gone.

My choice would be low glycaemic index food that gives your body energy over a long period of time, and prevents spiking that blood sugar.  Your kidneys and liver will thank you for it.  You really don't want to become a diabetic. 

I guess if you are determined to eat fatty food, at least eat it during the day when you are more likely to need the instant energy, and at night for dinner try and eat some low GI carbs to give you some energy to wake up with in the morning.

I used to eat high fat meals, a lot.  Mcdonalds and KFC were a main part of my diet, often going there twice a day, every day and it made me feel like crap.  I am now lucky if I go to those places even once a week, and I feel better for it... and my kidneys, liver and type 2 diabetes are thanking me for it.

Exercise is your friend, even if it's only a 20 minute brisk walk, it all helps speed up the metabolism.

Cheers
Matt
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 08:20:37 pm by cubbybear »

Offline MSPspud

• Joined Mar 2005 - Formerly UofMurbs
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 04:01:31 pm »
Actually too much of the wrong fat can cause headaches and ill feeling.  Americans in particular eat too many Omega 6's and transfats in ratio to Omega 3's.  The imbalance causes an inflammatory response by your body which can result in headaches or migraines.  I would suggest incorporating some Omega 3's (flax seed oil or fish) into your diet to even out this imbalance, as well as cutting down on the obvious offenders.   :) 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.