Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:12:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773204
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 572
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 546
Total: 547

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Ugandan MP David Bahati wants to 'kill every gay person  (Read 8208 times)

Offline Merlin

• As My WILL, So MOTE It Be !
I'll leave Hatred to those not strong enough to Love.

+++

Believe & The Power Of The Mind Transforms.
Make It Happen...

+++

I blame them for nothing.
I forgive them for everything.

---->> Mary J. Blige on dysfuctional parents

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Ugandan MP David Bahati wants to 'kill every gay person
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 04:36:07 pm »
Those pesky labels.

MtD

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 06:20:56 pm »
I can add someone to my list of people I would gladly murder and feel no remorse for it whatsoever.

Offline odyssey

• Mutiny of the neurons!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 04:00:20 pm »
Ummm, yeah, can we kill him first? Ya know.... in self defense? Kind of like getting rid of Hitler would have been brilliant?
01/09/09- diagnosed HIV+
01/16/09   CD4-425    22%  VL- 32,415
11/09- started Reyetaz/Norvir/Truvada
03/10- stopped R/N/T
10/18/11   CD4- 328   20%  VL- 84,000
10/25/11   CD4- 386   22%
10/28/11- start Truvada/Reyetaz/Norvir
12/30/11  CD4- 523  29%
03/08/12  CD4- 503  31%  VL 57
07/02/12  CD4- 897  43%
08/31/12  CD4- 745  39%
12/27/12  CD4- 884  40%
03/28/13  CD4- 819  39%
07/19/13  CD4- 739  40%
10/17/13  CD4- 535  36%
01/16/14  CD4- 743  43%

02/14- switched from R/N/T to Tivicay/Epzicom because of CKD 3 suspected from tenofovir.

03/14- switched back to R/N/T due to severe nausea and inability to eat on T/E.

04/01/14 CD4- 898  42%   VL-

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 10:43:24 pm »
Ummm, yeah, can we kill him first? Ya know.... in self defense? Kind of like getting rid of Hitler would have been brilliant?

No, bad idea. Then those who support him would make him a martyr and the blood would really start to flow.

Remember, these are the geniuses who let Idi Amin rule for a long, long time. Many of them admired him too.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline odyssey

• Mutiny of the neurons!
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 05:08:23 pm »
Then how about zapping the entire country, minus the GLBT folks and allies, into the vacuum of space to suffocate within microseconds? Pretty please? ;D
01/09/09- diagnosed HIV+
01/16/09   CD4-425    22%  VL- 32,415
11/09- started Reyetaz/Norvir/Truvada
03/10- stopped R/N/T
10/18/11   CD4- 328   20%  VL- 84,000
10/25/11   CD4- 386   22%
10/28/11- start Truvada/Reyetaz/Norvir
12/30/11  CD4- 523  29%
03/08/12  CD4- 503  31%  VL 57
07/02/12  CD4- 897  43%
08/31/12  CD4- 745  39%
12/27/12  CD4- 884  40%
03/28/13  CD4- 819  39%
07/19/13  CD4- 739  40%
10/17/13  CD4- 535  36%
01/16/14  CD4- 743  43%

02/14- switched from R/N/T to Tivicay/Epzicom because of CKD 3 suspected from tenofovir.

03/14- switched back to R/N/T due to severe nausea and inability to eat on T/E.

04/01/14 CD4- 898  42%   VL-

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 05:24:28 pm »
Then how about zapping the entire country, minus the GLBT folks and allies, into the vacuum of space to suffocate within microseconds? Pretty please? ;D

No need to zap all of 'em.

Just wipe out the Jesus freaks and I wager this issue will resolve nicely.

MtD

Offline Boze

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 07:25:45 pm »
No need to zap all of 'em.

Just wipe out the Jesus freaks and I wager this issue will resolve nicely.

MtD

What do they have to do with it?
==========
Aug08 - Seroconversion
Mar10 - Diagnosis; cd4 690 - VL 19,000
Apr10 - cd4 600
May10 - VL 4,500
Jun10 - started Atripla ; VL 113
Jul 10 - UD vl, CD4 590
Aug 10 - UD, CD4 810, 52%
Nov 10 - UD, CD4 980

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 07:31:15 pm »
What do they have to do with it?

Heh. I knew that comment would make you slither out of the gloom. You're nothing if not predictable Bozie. :)

Pay some attention to the folks who are leading this campaign in Uganda. This is a concerted effort on the part of evangelical christian leaders in that country. Ably assisted by key members of the religious right in the US.

MtD

Offline Boze

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 07:36:50 pm »
Heh. I knew that comment would make you slither out of the gloom. You're nothing if not predictable Bozie. :)

Pay some attention to the folks who are leading this campaign in Uganda. This is a concerted effort on the part of evangelical christian leaders in that country. Ably assisted by key members of the religious right in the US.

MtD

I just like to see facts supporting allegations - anything aside from the guy who left a comment to that effect on the web page of the article? I'm not up to speed on the issue but I'm not sure that Jesus is specifically responsible for homophobia.
==========
Aug08 - Seroconversion
Apr10 - cd4 600
May10 - VL 4,500
Jul 10 - UD vl, CD4 590
Nov 10 - UD, CD4 980

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 07:40:58 pm »
I just like to see facts supporting allegations - anything aside from the guy who left a comment to that effect on the web page of the article? I'm not up to speed on the issue but I'm not sure that Jesus is specifically responsible for homophobia.

And where did I suggest this all down to the Cosmic Jewish Zombie Who Is His Own Father? I'm talking about his bug-eyed followers, baby.

Are you a devil dodger?

MtD

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 07:42:05 pm »

Of course Jesus isn't responsible for homophobia -- it's all the folks who use his name to spread hate against anyone who is "different" from them.

Mike

Offline Boze

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 08:07:43 pm »
And where did I suggest this all down to the Cosmic Jewish Zombie Who Is His Own Father? I'm talking about his bug-eyed followers, baby.

Are you a devil dodger?

MtD

Right - not Jesus himself, of course. But where does it say that african homophobia is caused by Christianity or evangelists? I ascribe it to just more primitive societies (gasp - oh no, he didn't!). Either way, I'm not even Christian - just wanna be intellectually honest :)
==========
Aug08 - Seroconversion
Apr10 - cd4 600
May10 - VL 4,500
Jul 10 - UD vl, CD4 590
Nov 10 - UD, CD4 980

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 08:16:05 pm »
Right - not Jesus himself, of course. But where does it say that african homophobia is caused by Christianity or evangelists? I ascribe it to just more primitive societies (gasp - oh no, he didn't!). Either way, I'm not even Christian - just wanna be intellectually honest :)

Well if you want to be intellectually honest, try looking up the definition of "primitive". If you do you'll learn that Ugandans are not primitives.

Moreover you make assumptions about how cultures other than ours view homosexuality.

This viciously homophobic campaign in Uganda is the confluence of two strong socio-political forces in Uganda. One is evangelical christianity and it's continuing preoccuption with sodomy the other is pan African nationalism which views homosexuality as symbolic as well as being a deleterious consequence of western imperialism.

Similar narratives operate in other parts of the world.

MtD

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 08:21:31 pm »
But where does it say that african homophobia is caused by Christianity or evangelists?
reading material I suggest would be "The Family" by Jeff Sharlet. Other reference material can be found in the excellent reporting on this issue by Rachel Maddow on her MSNNC show "The Rachel Maddow Show" (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=maddow+uganda&aq=f)

until then you can read the wiki entry about "the Fellowship" aka "the Family
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fellowship_(Christian_organization)
and especially their ties to anti-gay hate in Uganda
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fellowship_(Christian_organization)#The_Fellowship_and_Uganda
The Fellowship and Uganda
The Fellowship, through Representative Joe Pitts (R.-Pa.), redirected millions in US aid to Uganda from sex education programs to abstinence programs, thereby causing an evangelical revival, which included condom burnings.

In a November 2009 NPR interview, Jeff Sharlet alleged that Ugandan Fellowship associates David Bahati and Nsaba Buturo were behind the recent proposed bill in Uganda that called for the death penalty for gays.[84]

Sharlet reveals that David Bahati, the Uganda legislator backing the bill, reportedly first floated the idea of executing gays during The Family's Uganda National Prayer Breakfast in 2008.[85] Mr. Sharlet described Mr. Bahati as a "rising star" in the Fellowship who has attended the National Prayer Breakfast in the United States and, until the news over the gay execution law broke, was scheduled to attend the 2010 U.S. National Prayer Breakfast.[85]
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 10:10:09 pm »
I ascribe it to just more primitive societies (gasp - oh no, he didn't!). Either way, I'm not even Christian - just wanna be intellectually honest :)

Well, then -- so long as YOU "ascribe it", it must be so. 
Quite frankly, I've decided that you don't believe have of what you say, you simply like to stir the pot and taking the stances you do in this setting are sure to give you the reactions and audience you so crave.  You always seem to try and tie up your little controversial tomes under the guise of "honesty" or "curiosity" when really it is simply a blatant pander for attention.  I for one, will no longer feed your needs. 

Mike

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 11:57:50 pm »
just wanna be intellectually honest

Is this supposed to be funny?  You sir, FAIL. 
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Merlin

• As My WILL, So MOTE It Be !
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 01:16:17 pm »
Working within the church baby, working within the church.   ;D
Yep, Lucifer's got a new gig. Spread the wrongs from the Rights ( pun intended)  ;)
Bang those drums and make way folks.
Ding Dong, King Kong's back and the new Ugandan Idi Amin.  >:(
Now, we gotta find Kong a new Barbie to clutch.  :D
I'll leave Hatred to those not strong enough to Love.

+++

Believe & The Power Of The Mind Transforms.
Make It Happen...

+++

I blame them for nothing.
I forgive them for everything.

---->> Mary J. Blige on dysfuctional parents

Offline Boze

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 02:58:26 pm »
Well if you want to be intellectually honest, try looking up the definition of "primitive". If you do you'll learn that Ugandans are not primitives.

Moreover you make assumptions about how cultures other than ours view homosexuality.

This viciously homophobic campaign in Uganda is the confluence of two strong socio-political forces in Uganda. One is evangelical christianity and it's continuing preoccuption with sodomy the other is pan African nationalism which views homosexuality as symbolic as well as being a deleterious consequence of western imperialism.

Similar narratives operate in other parts of the world.

MtD

Ok - some English language clearing up first. I never said Ugandans are primitive - but that a society is. To me, a society where a lawmaker can put forward a bill seeking to perform genocide on a minority is primitive. Maybe primitive is not the best word - how about backward?  It has nothing to do with race or location of the country - if they pass such law in Uzbekistan I'll call them primitive/backward.

Here is a good article from the Guardian (which I generally detest, but here it's reasonable) that describes roots of homophobia in Africa: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/may/21/complex-roots-africa-homophobia

Doesn't really mention US Evangelists - it's much more local and widespread.

I just think you guys (liberals) have a reflex - blame the Christian lobby for everything. How dare we ascribe blame to Africans for being homophobic, it's all US right wingers fault!

Is this supposed to be funny?  You sir, FAIL. 

I'm not a funny guy.

Well, then -- so long as YOU "ascribe it", it must be so. 
Quite frankly, I've decided that you don't believe have of what you say, you simply like to stir the pot and taking the stances you do in this setting are sure to give you the reactions and audience you so crave.  You always seem to try and tie up your little controversial tomes under the guise of "honesty" or "curiosity" when really it is simply a blatant pander for attention.  I for one, will no longer feed your needs. 
Mike

You're just used to a nice comfortable liberal circlejerk around here. I don't partake. Tell it like it is.

reading material I suggest would be "The Family" by Jeff Sharlet. Other reference material can be found in the excellent reporting on this issue by Rachel Maddow on her MSNNC show "The Rachel Maddow Show" (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=maddow+uganda&aq=f)

until then you can read the wiki entry about "the Fellowship" aka "the Family
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fellowship_(Christian_organization)
and especially their ties to anti-gay hate in Uganda
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fellowship_(Christian_organization)#The_Fellowship_and_Uganda
The Fellowship and Uganda
The Fellowship, through Representative Joe Pitts (R.-Pa.), redirected millions in US aid to Uganda from sex education programs to abstinence programs, thereby causing an evangelical revival, which included condom burnings.

In a November 2009 NPR interview, Jeff Sharlet alleged that Ugandan Fellowship associates David Bahati and Nsaba Buturo were behind the recent proposed bill in Uganda that called for the death penalty for gays.[84]

Sharlet reveals that David Bahati, the Uganda legislator backing the bill, reportedly first floated the idea of executing gays during The Family's Uganda National Prayer Breakfast in 2008.[85] Mr. Sharlet described Mr. Bahati as a "rising star" in the Fellowship who has attended the National Prayer Breakfast in the United States and, until the news over the gay execution law broke, was scheduled to attend the 2010 U.S. National Prayer Breakfast.[85]

Thanks, raiser. I do see that this particular lawmaker has connections to US christians - but I think he may be taking things further than they would want. I mean in the US these guys pass ballot #8 - a whole different playing field.

==========
Aug08 - Seroconversion
Apr10 - cd4 600
May10 - VL 4,500
Jul 10 - UD vl, CD4 590
Nov 10 - UD, CD4 980

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2010, 04:09:06 am »
That was leatherman.  Although I mean, I'll take what I can get, so you're welcome!

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2010, 04:44:14 am »
cretinous prattle

Honey when you can present a well reasoned argument rather than just stringing together some non-sequiturs and borderline racist flamebaits, get back to us.

Until then, be quiet. The grown ups are talking.

MtD

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2010, 07:35:26 am »
That was leatherman. 
I even actually read the book, Boze ;) ("The Family" by Jeff Sharlet)
oddly enough, it was about this time last year - as it was one of the last books I checked out of the OH library before I moved back home to SC.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2010, 07:56:24 am »
The Pastor's research delivered in a news conference to a country that's 80% Christian. He can eat my poo poo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJZHvHb8LBE
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 08:07:07 am by Dachshund »

Offline alliance

• hmmmm. . .
"The influence of each human being on others in this life is a kind of immortality."
10/10/12   CD4=378  %=32   VL=UD
5/10/12     CD4=426  %=32  VL=UD
11/15/11   CD4=296  %=29  VL=UD(20)
6/15/11     CD4=345  %=29  VL=UD(38)
3/15/11     CD4=317  %=31  VL=UD
12/1/10     CD4=315  %=28  VL=UD
8/11/10     CD4=250  %=25  VL=UD
6/10/10     CD4=380  %=24  VL=UD
3/4/10       CD4=340  %=22   VL=UD
1/11/10     CD4=312  %=22   VL =130
11/30/09   CD4=228  %=19  VL=1726
11/20/09    started atripla
10/15/09   CD4=281  %=18   VL=85,000

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.