Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 10:01:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772997
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 225
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 133
Total: 133

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Has anyone else had to use Acreedo to fill Rx?  (Read 3845 times)

Offline noregrets

Has anyone else had to use Acreedo to fill Rx?
« on: April 24, 2015, 06:04:32 pm »
So, yesterday I scanned my bottle of Atriple with my iPhone to send me refill to Walgreens like I have for the past 3 years.  This morning I get an email saying payment won't go through.  So, thinking maybe I tried to re-fill too early I called & was told that Anthem had enrolled me into the mail order program and I needed to call them but I could probably "opt out".

Well, I called and I can't opt out, they're forcing me to use mail order.  I was transferred over to Express Scripts (who initially told me I couldn't use my co-pay assistance card) who after taking all my info they realize that I'm on a "specialty medication" and I need to go through the "specialty pharmacy" - Acreedo.  So, they transferred me over to Acreedo who  gave me a fax number for my doctor to fax on Monday.  They assured me I could use my co-pay card but I'm getting an uneasy feeling.  I've Googled them & the Internet is littered with complaints of lost prescriptions, inaccurate bills, problems with co-pays, etc.

Has anyone else used them before?  Are they as god-awful as I'm fearing they are?

I'm soooooooo going to miss going to the Walgreens to pick my Rx up.  Everyone there was so nice and it was so EASY.  I'm so stressed I don't know what to do.  I feel like every month now it's going t be a challenge to get my Rx where before it was like clockwork.   :-[
Joey

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Diagnosed:  Dec. 15, 2011
Jan. 2012:  CD4 - 584, VL - 104,000
July 2012:  CD4 - 435, VL - 265,000
Sept. 2012:  CD4 - 252, VL - 307,000
Started Atripla:  Oct. 2, 2012
Nov. 2012: CD4 - 563, VL - 8,440
Jan. 2013: CD4 - 540, VL - 436
April 2013: CD4 - 369, VL - 109
July 2013: CD4 - 721, VL - Undetectable (finally!)
Nov. 2013: CD4 - 795, VL - 21
Mar. 2014: CD4 - 759, VL - Undetectable
July 2014: CD4 - 586, VL - Undetectable
Dec. 2014: CD4 - 827, VL - Undetectable
July 2015: CD4 - 670, VL - Undetectable
Dec, 2015: CD4 - 855, VL - Undetectable

Offline Seeker

Re: Has anyone else had to use Acreedo to fill Rx?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 08:59:02 am »
My insurance company required that I use Accredo when I was taking Atripla--can't say it was problem free but for the most part I was able to get my medications timely and able to use my co-payment card....it just wasn't as fast and easy as going to my nearby pharmacy....you just have to be proactive in terms of staying in contact with them and especially when it comes time to reorder....things just don't move as quickly as when you can deal with people face to face that know you....I have recently been changed to Prime Specialty-apparently since this mail order business is the way things are going-we can expect vendor changes---so far no problems.... wish you the best----
tested positive Aug 2009
Sept 2009   CD4  198  VL  13,090
started Atripla
Oct 2009     248   VL  820
Feb 10        237   VL  undetectable
Jun 10        341        un
Oct 10        281        un
Mar 11       344        un
Jan 12        334    VL  30
Jun 12        347    VL  20
Nov 12       349   VL  undetectable
Apr 13        340       
Oct 13        387       
Apr 14        356       
Oct 14        389       
Nov 14   changed to Triumeq
Feb 15       410       
Aug 15      349       
Feb 16      399        
Aug 16      351       
Feb 17      420        
Aug 17      409       
Feb 18      386        
Aug 18     384       
Feb 19      335        
Aug 19      424       
Feb 20      391       
Aug 20      311

Offline noregrets

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 01:18:24 am »
Thanks for the info.  That makes me feel a little better.  I'm glad to see things are going well for you too.  Take care.   ;)
Joey

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Diagnosed:  Dec. 15, 2011
Jan. 2012:  CD4 - 584, VL - 104,000
July 2012:  CD4 - 435, VL - 265,000
Sept. 2012:  CD4 - 252, VL - 307,000
Started Atripla:  Oct. 2, 2012
Nov. 2012: CD4 - 563, VL - 8,440
Jan. 2013: CD4 - 540, VL - 436
April 2013: CD4 - 369, VL - 109
July 2013: CD4 - 721, VL - Undetectable (finally!)
Nov. 2013: CD4 - 795, VL - 21
Mar. 2014: CD4 - 759, VL - Undetectable
July 2014: CD4 - 586, VL - Undetectable
Dec. 2014: CD4 - 827, VL - Undetectable
July 2015: CD4 - 670, VL - Undetectable
Dec, 2015: CD4 - 855, VL - Undetectable

Offline Seeker

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 07:51:54 am »
best to you as well---one other suggestion--once you begin working with them you'll be able to discover the earliest your insurance plan will allow a refill---for me the biggest anxiety of using the mail system was a problem that might develop and not be able to get medications-give yourself a little reserve by ordering as soon as possible--in theory they are supposed to call you when it's time but I would call about ten days before running out and they'll ask how much you have remaining and if you say about a week and you're able to reorder eventually you'll have a little "reserve" in case there's a problem at some point with a delivery and you won't be worried about running out...
tested positive Aug 2009
Sept 2009   CD4  198  VL  13,090
started Atripla
Oct 2009     248   VL  820
Feb 10        237   VL  undetectable
Jun 10        341        un
Oct 10        281        un
Mar 11       344        un
Jan 12        334    VL  30
Jun 12        347    VL  20
Nov 12       349   VL  undetectable
Apr 13        340       
Oct 13        387       
Apr 14        356       
Oct 14        389       
Nov 14   changed to Triumeq
Feb 15       410       
Aug 15      349       
Feb 16      399        
Aug 16      351       
Feb 17      420        
Aug 17      409       
Feb 18      386        
Aug 18     384       
Feb 19      335        
Aug 19      424       
Feb 20      391       
Aug 20      311

Offline mitch777

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 11:10:33 am »
Noregrets,

I have already written what seems like a book here about Acreedo, Curascript, and ExpressScripts (which are all now under the same ownership).

With rare exception, Acreedo has been my worst nightmare with nearly every refill. Sorry to not have more encouraging words for you.

There was a member here ( ChavinKnight) that clearly explained how to deal with your insurance company to opt out. It worked for him anyway. I didn't bother because I am expecting to be approved for disability soon so I still struggle each month while biting my tongue.

Since you at the beginning of the Acreedo journey, I STRONGLY suggest you write down every issue that comes your way and then follow through with Chavin's advice which I will quote here:

"I would read the pharmacy laws and regulations in your state, as well as the state of your mail order pharmacy (location of corporate offices and/or from where your drugs are shipped.  See if you find anything at odds.  File a complaint in writing with the Board of Pharmacy if you find that the mail order folks are doing something that could be wrong.

Ask for the address to file a grievance with the mail order pharmacy.  Document your objection to being forced to take medication that has been subjected to temperature extremes over which they have no control by sending it through the mail.  Note that there is no way to ensure that the medication has been stored at the temperature specified by the manufacturer or that recommended in the US Pharmacopoeia.  Further, tell them that you want one of their pharmacists to stare in writing that the medication is still safe and effective after being exposed to temperature extremes in the mail.  (I seriously doubt that they will do this.)  In the grievance, mention late shipments, missed doses, if any, and the negative impact on your health care.  Cite privacy concerns related to mail order, the risk of lost or stolen medication, and note that you are on a regimen that requires 100% adherence.  Tell them that their forcing you to use mail order is placing you at risk of treatment failure should the drugs be lost or stolen or delayed or damaged by the heat and/or cold.  State that you want to be allowed to go to a retail pharmacy without penalty, i.e., to be able to receive the same amount of medication for the same copay that you would pay if using mail order.  Include a copy of the lawsuit that was filed by consumer watchdog against United Healthcare (the issues are relevant with all mail order pharmacies, not just United and not just in California)....this can be downloaded on line.  Tell them that you are not threatening litigation at this time, but that you include a copy of the United lawsuit because it succinctly describes your issues and concerns. They have a certain amount of time in which to respond.  If you do not get a response within this amount of time, continue to call them.  Follow up with additional correspondence to the relevant pharmacy boards, if necessary.

I have gotten out of mail order, and I have known others to do so as well, despite being told by some customer service person that I have no choice.  We have no choice if we choose to accept that as reality.  In my experience, opting out requires a person to document the problems they have had in writing, specifying the remedy desired, and threatening to complain to the board of pharmacy.  People can opt out even when told that this is "not possible."  But it will not come simply from a request over the phone.  Do not let them tell you that they are not forcing you to use mail order and that you can go to a local pharmacy, but that you have to pay 100% of the cost.  That is not a choice and they know it.  I have Catamaran and my simply mentioning a complaint to the board of pharmacy got their attention.  I was opted out of mail order for one year and was told that I had to reapply.  I will do that at the end of this month, but I am going to ask for lifetime permission (what a joke) to use a retail pharmacy.

It will be a lot of work, but it beats the expended energy that you are using every month dealing with this unprofessional and unethical behavior.  xinyuan, if you decide to file a grievance, feel free to PM me if I can help you, or if you want someone to proofread your complaint.

I wish you all the best....."

If Chavin had posted this a year earlier I would have jumped on it in a flash! Well worth the effort!! You can read a fraction of my nightmares in the thread called "Curascript does it again". I stopped adding any more posts there because it just got to be too exhausting and nothing has changed. The incompetence, lies, poor management, lack of compassion, and countless hours on the phone still continue to this day.

I lost track of how many shipments would have been late had I not stayed on top of it all.

I too wish you the best. You will need it.

m.

33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.