Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:00:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 350
Total: 351

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: New doctor  (Read 2776 times)

Offline darryaz

New doctor
« on: September 06, 2013, 01:17:13 pm »
I'd love some input on this as I'm torn......

I met my new doctor yesterday.  He's near the beginning of his residency so he doesn't have a lot of experience.  He was just rotated to the ID clinic last month.

In talking with him I got a definite vibe that he's not comfortable with HIV patients or gay people in general.  In my book that's definitely a 'no-go'.

So I'm debating what I should do.  I've basically identified 4 options:

I could just suck it up and hope that he grows on me.  He'll be gone in 2 years and chances are I'll only have 3 more appointments with him during that time.

I could simply request a different doctor and not give a reason

I could contact the supervising physician and express my concerns, encouraging him to help this new doctor with being more comfortable with the population he's working with

Social security went into effect for me on August 1st so I could always start shopping for other doctors at other clinics.  Unfortunately the doctor who just finished his residency, the one I REALLY liked, is only working at the VA now - the one place I CAN'T go.

I'm just beginning to weigh the pros and cons of each option.  I'd be interested to hear what others think.

Offline buginme2

Re: New doctor
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 01:32:41 pm »
I guess it depends on where you are and what other options are available.

If you live in a city with a lot of different options for care then its pretty easy to find a medical center that has the types of services you wish and a variety of doctors to choose from.

If you live somewhere that only has one or two options to see HIV patients then your options are limited.

If your not comfortable with your doctor, then your not comfortable.  That's reason enough to find someone else. 
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline darryaz

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 01:36:15 pm »
From the initial research I've done it looks like there are about 4 or 5 ID practices in town that accept Medicare and are accepting new patients.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 01:45:48 pm »
From the initial research I've done it looks like there are about 4 or 5 ID practices in town that accept Medicare and are accepting new patients.

By the way.  I see this all the time here.  ID doctors are not the only doctors that see HIV patients.  They are a big chunk but you don't have to be an ID to see HIV patients.  The American Academy of HIV medicine certify doctors to treat hiv patients.  Just saying.  They have a listing of providers at www.aahivm.org.

Also are there any large hospitals or medical centers that operate clinics that would have more than one doctor who treats HIV patients so if you don't like one you could switch to another without having to move to an entirely different practice (which is a pain).

Offline darryaz

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 02:44:33 pm »
Also are there any large hospitals or medical centers that operate clinics that would have more than one doctor who treats HIV patients so if you don't like one you could switch to another without having to move to an entirely different practice (which is a pain).

Only one other (besides the one I use now) and that clinic doesn't include Medicare on their list of accepted insurance plans.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 03:30:49 pm »
Call them just to double check to see if they take Medicare.  Even if you don't change now its good to have that information and hold it in your back pocket if needed.

My personal preference is to stick with medical centers/hospitals to get your care rather than a private practice (if you have that option).  If you see a doctor at a medical center and end up being hospitalized they usually have all your records immediately and your doctor is already on staff at the hospital.  If you go to private practice and then get hospitalized and your physician isn't on staff it's like walking in blind.  The continuity of care is diminished (IMHO).

So if you stay.  I would choose option number 2.  Just asked for a different doctor.  After all, unless he did something discriminatory or out of bounds.   

Side note: it sometimes is difficult choosing a doctor you are comfortable with.  Especially with HIV when there aren't that many options to begin with.  It can be very disheartening when you get one you don't like.  It's important to have a good relationship with your doctor so if your not comfortable with this one, then I think it's time to go shopping.

Offline darryaz

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 03:58:03 pm »
Thanks bug.  Lots of good points there.

The appointment yesterday has me set for 6 months so I can take my time to make a well-thought-out decision.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.