Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 06:56:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 207
Total: 208

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: No Risk? or Low Risk?  (Read 5283 times)

Offline 1529

No Risk? or Low Risk?
« on: January 08, 2010, 10:18:25 am »
Hi,

I have recently had a possible risk situation. Although i have tried to read as possible as my available time has permited, i am still very confused about the wide information that you may find in the internet. During my life i always try to be very rational, but this experience has been devasted my head. I have seen many threads in no risk situations that the anxiety caused have lead to many symptoms, that sometimes are in coincidence with ARS Sympthoms. To be honest i can not feel any (apart from the fact that i can not sleep well for almost 3 weeks and i have loose my apetite, since i feel that my heart is in my throat).
Here it goes (please donīt ignore this situation as i am very concern and even if i seen that it is a non risk situation, my worries are relationed to any special detail that i will try to give and that for same reason may change this to a low risk situation).

Facts: About three weeks ago i  have been in a female strip bar (i am male). During which i have ask for a private dancer. At that time 3 things have happen:

1. I have kiss her in her neck, boobs and her legs (disregard this as i have understood that this is a non risk);
2. I have fingered (insert my finger in her vagina) her for about 2 minutes. I have understood that vaginal fluids can contain hiv virus. I had no cuts at the time. However i pull sometimes the skin around my nails. Does it represent any risk? This practice could only represent risk if at the time i had a major cut and if i were bleeding?
3. Some minutes later with the same hand i have fingered her i have masturbate me. I donīt recall correctly but for sure i had  my hand dry. Also i think i have not touch my urethra, but i have a uncircunised pennis. Does it make any diference? Is there any variable when mutual masturbation could be a risk (if instead of minutes between hand/pennis it only has been some seconds, or if i touch my urethra)?

My concerns for two purposes. Do you think i need a hiv test? May i restart sex with my wife without any concerns about this episode?

Keep up the excelent work! Although i leave in a European Union Country it is not easy to find consensual information about some sexual practices and after a consultation with my doctor i have left his gabinet with serious doubts about the practices described above. I had understand by him that a minimal risk has happen and that i should have a hiv test.

Sorry for my english and hope all my doubts are clear (that way i have to deal only with the guilt of my behaviour).

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: No Risk? or Low Risk?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 10:23:11 am »
Hey,

From what you've posted I can say that you were not at risk of being infected with HIV.

If you take the time to read our Welcome Thread you will learn that HIV is not transmitted in any of the ways you describe above.

Be well,

MtD

Offline 1529

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 10:41:22 am »
Thanks (first and last reply).

The fact that i am uncircunsed does it changes the risk? I am asking because i have seen that because of that fact i am more receptive to the virus.
Let me know if this is correct: Being uncircunsed only makes me more receceptive to hiv virus in a penetration situation. In case of non risk situatuions (for example mutual masturbation - even if i still have vaginal fluids in my hand and touch my uncircunsed pennis will be no problem). All this is correct?

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 10:47:03 am »
HIV is a fussy virus. It is transmitted in specific ways.

You can contract HIV if you have unprotected anal or vaginal sex. It can also be transmitted if you share contaminated injecting equipment like needles or syringes.

If you've not done any of these things, then you have no reason to be concerned that you have contracted HIV.

That said all sexual active adults should be screened for HIV and other sexually transmissible infections at least once a year. Twice is better. If you've not been screened recently I would encourage you to contact your doctor or local sexual health clinic.

Nevertheless, I do not believe that this is an HIV situation. I would add that your being uncircumcised does not change your risk.

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 12:20:03 pm »
The issue of your being uncircumcised would only matter if you were having unprotected vaginal or anal intercourse. The reason for that is the inner skin cells of the foreskin are receptive to the transmission of HIV. But in relation to other sexual activities such as you are concerned about it would not put you at risk. As Matty has told you, you have no cause for concern about this recent experience in terms of HIV.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline 1529

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 03:58:09 pm »
Thank you Matty and Andy.
You probably are both from USA (where you have acess to a multiple information and have well educated profissionals about this matter) and perhapps my ignorance about this issues may be enormous at your eyes. I may only speak for my country (Portugal) and i may say i never had any education related to sexual activities (particular relationated to std) and also the information i have search about my particular experience seems very contraditory (for some this a non risk and sometimes it appears with a low risk situation).
Again thank you for your posts.

P.S. This is just a thanks post (there is no need to answer)

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 04:27:41 pm »
You're welcome. Glad you found the responses to be helpful.
Andy Velez

Offline 1529

No Risk? or Low Risk?
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 01:10:12 pm »
Let me ask you a question related to my previous one.

I have read multiple post in this site where oral sex was not a risk sexual practice for HIV (which i did not knew it). I also saw that this fact is based on several studies made over the years with couples (HIV+/HIV-) that never had unprotected intercourse. Here is my question (and this related to my episode).
I presume in all those studies the couples practice mutual masturbation (including fingering)? Is that assumption correct?

Also one final question. In all NO RISK situations your advise is that a Test for HIV is not necessary (apart from Anxiety issues and if by any other reason someone decide to take it). Is that correct?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 09:36:34 pm »
There was all sorts of sexual play among partners in the longterm studies. No one of the HIV negative partners became infected. Period.

And yes that's right, when there is no risk there is no need for testing unless someone just can't let go of their fear. In that case testing is simply for peace of mind and the negative result is a foregone conclusion and a matter of personal choice.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.