Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:20:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 355
Total: 356

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I'm In No Humor for a Tumor  (Read 5632 times)

Offline Basquo

I'm In No Humor for a Tumor
« on: April 09, 2013, 10:05:46 pm »
I swore that this would be the year that there would be no unexpected medical bills...in fact it's been two more than two years since my last ER visit, and everything seems normal and under control...

...but I got the diagnosis today: my soft tissue neck mass has turned into a parotid gland tumor and it has to come out. So a month from today I'm having a partial parotidectomy. I'll be geeting Jan and Jen with a 7-inch scar running down my face, under my ear and then back down my neck. SEXY!

Fortunately, 80% of the time these things are benign and non-recurring, so I'm hoping for the best. I simply do not have the desire to deal with a round or two of radiation therapy. And ironically, the stress of waiting for this diagnosis has been making me crave cigarettes, but I have held out.

I used to joke about my Franken-feet after those surgeries, but this is going to be some serious stitching above my shoulders.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: I'm In No Humor for a Tumor
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 11:03:18 pm »
Yikes! Hoping for a good outcome in all this. What a year...!
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 12:19:45 am »
Sorry to hear this.  All the best for a speedy recovery and no need for radiation. 

Ted.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 05:09:50 am »
Sorry to hear this, Cr8ton.  I hope it all turns out alright. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline wolfter

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 05:34:53 am »
Damn buddy!!  Sorry to hear this.  But you'll still be hot and sexy, even with another battle scar.

Take care
Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 08:29:35 am »
Sorry to hear about this latest challenge, Basquo. Fingers crossed that it all goes well.

I guess you could always pass if off as a dueling scar. In any case no scar is gonna seriously diminish the outstanding heat you radiate. Really.

Best regards, bud.
Andy Velez

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 12:51:33 pm »
Good luck, Creighton -- hope all goes well.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 02:08:20 pm »
very  sad  news   hope the  whole  thing goes  smoothly.... ...why a  Partial??? surgery.....

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 03:04:22 pm »
I'm sorry your dealing with this and my thoughts are with you . Hugs .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 06:41:46 pm »
Oh Creighton that sucks. I'm sorry you are going through that, Im thinking of you.

I didnt know you had quit smoking, good for you! How long has it been?

-W
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 09:35:29 pm »
Aye mate. You'll be sexier than ever. A handsome Pirate of the Parotidean you shall be. And, you can simply lean in and assure your newest friends with " I won. "

Offline Basquo

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 09:49:11 pm »
Thanks everyone for the well wishes! Rest assured, I am in no pain or discomfort, and I am doing the surgery at my old hospital where they have a reputation for making sure you are quite painless loaded Comfortable.

Nick, my fabulous new doctor is only doing a partial parotidectomy because the tumor is in the very tail end of the gland, just at my jawline. He doesn't want to remove the whole gland because the end result is the same: if it's malignant, I'll have radiation therapy and still get to keep half the gland. The complication is the major facial nerves that run through the parotid. He has to operate around those and that's what makes it a 2 to 3 hour surgery. He can't just whack off the bottom (insert something here, please!)

Will, I quit smoking in October. I've taken it up a couple of nights since then, but always just for the night and not the next day. In fact, I bought a pack a month or so ago when I was having a bad night, smoked 2.5 cigs, and threw the rest away. Actually pulled the sticks out and ran water over them first to be sure I wouldn't try to fish them out of the bin later.

And Em! you remember my seafaring days! You took an awesome photo of me wearing the Jolly Roger in Montreal, and that same summer I acquired the Brown Pearl though a hand of Fate, and I still captain her to this day (though she is landlocked most of the week, commisioned to Home Depot cargo runs for the missus.)

I don't think this is going to be a cake walk, but I think my prior surgeries have left me well-prepared. I won't be mobility impaired this time, except for the ROM in my neck. I am nearly always upright when awake so I won't have to worry about keeping anything elevated...and with any luck, my painkillers will keep me plenty elevated!

Offline Jody

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 10:39:01 pm »
Hey Creighton, I hope all goes well during surgery and you have a full and speedy recovery.  And congrats on quitting smoking!  Be well dear man and you have a great man in Santi by your side.  Hugs.

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 01:39:41 am »
Sorry to hear this Creighton, Jen and I will help Santi look after you, have no fear, and a man with a scar is very sexy indeed.

Big hugs
Aroha always
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 02:23:44 pm »
I admire your fortitude and wish you well.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline Basquo

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 09:32:40 pm »
Just an update--the surgery was lengthy and the recovery gruesome, but the tumor was benign and I'm finally back home recovering and wallowing in pain and misery.

Let the opiates commence!

Thank you all for your support. It's been a long month and a long day. I'm having trouble hitting the right keys.

Hugs,
Creighton

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 09:36:49 pm »
Oh glad everything went well Creighton. Get lots of rest.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline mitch777

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 09:49:14 pm »
great news Creighton!
sleep well. :)
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2013, 10:09:11 pm »
Good to hear you are going to be OK and that yo are on the mend . Hugs .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2013, 11:23:01 pm »
Creighton - Glad things went well today - Let Santi take care of you... Get plenty of rest and prepare yourself for a lovely visit with nurse Jan in a short while...

In the meantime, enjoy the painkillers  ;)

Thank you also for your help last month - it was very helpful and went a long way toward helping my brother to have a more comfortable stay at the hospital.

Love you and hope to get to see you and Santi again soon.

-Phil
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2013, 04:35:34 am »
Good result , rest well.
m
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline britchick

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2013, 08:29:01 am »
Thats really good news.Take it easy and rest up.

Britchickx

Offline Jody

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2013, 08:30:20 pm »
Hey Creighton, it is great to hear it was benign, the uncertainty is so stressful.  Hope your recovery is speedy and complete.

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.