Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:51:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 247
Total: 250

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Efavirenz (Sustiva,Atripla) may cause memory declines  (Read 15297 times)

Offline Matts

Efavirenz (Sustiva,Atripla) may cause memory declines
« on: November 18, 2012, 02:57:18 pm »
Johns Hopkins study suggests the commonly prescribed anti-retroviral drug efavirenz attacks brain cells :

"The way the body metabolizes a commonly prescribed anti-retroviral drug that is used long term by patients infected with HIV may contribute to cognitive impairment by damaging nerve cells, a new Johns Hopkins research suggests.

Nearly 50 percent of people infected with HIV will eventually develop some form of brain damage that, while mild, can affect the ability to drive, work or participate in many daily activities. It has long been assumed that the disease was causing the damage, but Hopkins researchers say the drug efavirenz may play a key role.

People infected with HIV typically take a cocktail of medications to suppress the virus, and many will take the drugs for decades. Efavirenz is known to be very good at controlling the virus and is one of the few that crosses the blood-brain barrier and can target potential reservoirs of virus in the brain. Doctors have long believed that it might be possible to alleviate cognitive impairment associated with HIV by getting more drugs into the brain, but researchers say more caution is needed because there may be long-term effects of these drugs on the brain....."

Full story:http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/media/releases/popular_hiv_drug_may_cause_memory_declines
Dovato

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Efavirenz (Sustiva,Atripla) may cause memory declines
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 04:20:25 pm »
Good thing I was only on it for 4-5 months thirteen years ago.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 04:27:45 pm »
I've don't think I have had any decline in memory since being on Atripla...

and I've been on it since...... 

Well, dayummmm, I can't remember... 
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Anqueetas

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 09:23:26 am »
Thank god I made the switch from Sustiva to Viramune. That pill is toxic, make me dizzy, brain fog, cloud my thinking judgement etc.
ARS, hospitalized for very high fever-July 2011
diagnosed HIV positive - October 16 2011
CD4 460 19.5% VL 49000 - late October 2011
CD4 625 19.5% VL 50030 - January 2012
CD4 369 19% VL 69000 - March 2012
Start Sustiva+ Truvada - April 17 2012
CD4 524 24.5% VL UD - August 22 2012
Switch to Nevirapine+Truvada
CD4 490 26% VL UD - November 2012
CD4 539 29% VL UD - February 2013
CD4 621 28% VL UD - May 2013

Offline Skydrake

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 12:15:52 pm »
Thank god I made the switch from Sustiva to Viramune. That pill is toxic, make me dizzy, brain fog, cloud my thinking judgement etc.

Idem, like drinking a 2-3 Coca & Bacardi every evening, even after a year.
At least I saved money on alcohol.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 02:04:22 pm »
More like taking a quarter hit of acid before bed... with the only difference being that Sustiva puts you to sleep... then you start tripping.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 11:25:58 pm »
I swapped from Atripla to Complera.  Best move I ever made.

Offline Anqueetas

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 10:12:40 am »
Idem, like drinking a 2-3 Coca & Bacardi every evening, even after a year.
At least I saved money on alcohol.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Would be great if i don't have to work!
ARS, hospitalized for very high fever-July 2011
diagnosed HIV positive - October 16 2011
CD4 460 19.5% VL 49000 - late October 2011
CD4 625 19.5% VL 50030 - January 2012
CD4 369 19% VL 69000 - March 2012
Start Sustiva+ Truvada - April 17 2012
CD4 524 24.5% VL UD - August 22 2012
Switch to Nevirapine+Truvada
CD4 490 26% VL UD - November 2012
CD4 539 29% VL UD - February 2013
CD4 621 28% VL UD - May 2013

Offline scotty54

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 10:49:21 am »
Happy camper here after making the switch from Atripla to Complera.
There were a few instances earlier this year when I was beginning to think about moving to Shady Groves lol. 
Anqueetas---glad to hear you are doing well too.....
I may not agree with you, but will always defend your right to disagree.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 11:03:27 am »
i have been on Atripla since 2006 and have noticed a slow but steady decline with my memory.
 made a turkey meatloaf yesterday afternoon in my toaster oven (with auto-shutoff feature) to have for dinner tonight. remembered that i didn't take it out of the oven at 5 AM. >:(

^this was just the latest of my many brain fog fun mishaps. :(

spoke to my ID doc about making a med change. he is going to send me a list of my best options and by my next visit in february, hope to get off of atripla.
not looking forward to getting used to another set of side effects, but hope they will be minor and short lived. ::)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 11:10:54 am by mitch777 »
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline scotty54

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 12:33:59 pm »
@Mitch777.......even with auto shut-off feature that was truly a salmonella-free turkey meatloaf.  ;D
Hats off to you.....lots of respect for anyone that has lived 30 years with HIV.
I know you had plenty of dark days in the 80's/90's.
Best of luck with your 2013 meds change.  ;)
I may not agree with you, but will always defend your right to disagree.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 03:11:02 pm »
just got back from the grocery store and am going to attempt the meatloaf once again. ::)

could i get some reminder here at around 6pm US eastern time to remove it from the oven? ;D

really don't want making a meatloaf a new daily event. :)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 03:15:13 pm »
Not a problem Mitch , glad to help . Please remove the meatloaf at 6 eastern time . Im on atripla also so Im reminding you now lest I forget .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 03:22:25 pm »
Lol!
thanks!

Offline wolfter

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 04:19:09 pm »
Don't forget to turn the oven on. ;D  Thanks to my many years of brain destroying meds, I'm left with the ability to do some of the dumbest shit.  Especially misplacing things.  Have found my cell phone in the freezer and my wallet in the fridge.

I noticed marked decline during my Sustive period.  Driving was next to impossible as I couldn't comprehend all the combined needs of driving safely.

I guess it's a wait and see for us long termers to see how this all plays out in the later years.  Could you imagine being in a nursing home with the likes of MissP?   ;D
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2012, 04:27:50 pm »
Curious, since I am on Atripla but have not experienced any memory issues.   In fact, prior to going on meds I noticed some "brain fog" but once I started meds it resolved.

How long was it, that you were on Atripla (or Sustiva) that you noticed any sort of memory decline?  Was it gradual over time or more immediate.  Do you really think it was attributed to Atripla and if so when/if you changed medications did it resolve? 

For those of us on Atripla and doing otherwise ok, maybe some advice or warning signs that we should be cognisant of?

Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2012, 06:03:35 pm »
Hi Bug ... Although you didn't ask the question of me I thought I would chime in .

I have been on Atripla since it was available but its just the last 4 years where I have noticed my memory slipping . I talked to me doctor about it and she reminded me that at my age , its the time you begin to see a mild decline in memory .

I used to know where everything in my house was , now I have to go look . Last I accidentally took a shot of insulin twice and had a low blood sugar episode that scared the crap out of me . I'm glad we are discussing this , I'm not sure in my case if its meds or that I'm getting older . It also worries me because my mom has Alzheimer's , and dementia runs in my family .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2012, 06:07:34 pm »
When I was on Sustiva, I noticed the symptoms almost immediately.  But again, that doesn't mean everyone has the same issues.  A lot of my brain fade subsided once I switched regimens. 

Offline mitch777

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 07:21:28 pm »
Don't forget to turn the oven on. ;D  Thanks to my many years of brain destroying meds, I'm left with the ability to do some of the dumbest shit.  Especially misplacing things.  Have found my cell phone in the freezer and my wallet in the fridge.

I noticed marked decline during my Sustive period.  Driving was next to impossible as I couldn't comprehend all the combined needs of driving safely.

I guess it's a wait and see for us long termers to see how this all plays out in the later years.  Could you imagine being in a nursing home with the likes of MissP?   ;D

lol but the scarey truth.
nursing home with miss p?
lol but scarey! ;D

Offline mitch777

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 07:33:07 pm »
Hi Bug ... Although you didn't ask the question of me I thought I would chime in .

I have been on Atripla since it was available but its just the last 4 years where I have noticed my memory slipping . I talked to me doctor about it and she reminded me that at my age , its the time you begin to see a mild decline in memory .

I used to know where everything in my house was , now I have to go look . Last I accidentally took a shot of insulin twice and had a low blood sugar episode that scared the crap out of me . I'm glad we are discussing this , I'm not sure in my case if its meds or that I'm getting older . It also worries me because my mom has Alzheimer's , and dementia runs in my family .

jg,

i could have posted almost the same post (excluding the blood sugar episode).
mom with alz, almost the same age (almost...grrr... :)))
meds or older question. ???

and also think this needs to be discussed more.

i think this topic might get more exposure if it were moved because, quite frankly, it took me forever to remember where it first began.
HELP Ann and Andy! ;)

ps-
my meatloaf was delish, no thanks to y'all. >:( :D

« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 09:52:06 pm by mitch777 »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2012, 08:06:08 am »

i think this topic might get more exposure if it were moved because, quite frankly, it took me forever to remember where it first began.
HELP Ann and Andy! ;)

Done. I remember thinking when this thread was first posted that a better fit would probably be the Treatment forum, but I didn't move it. Something shiny probably distracted my attention.

Or a cat. The boys are always distracting me. ("feed me! let me out! let me in! feed me! the water bowl is empty again! feed me! let me out! let me in don't you know it's fucking raining out here again!")

Now don't go hollering at me if you keep looking for it in the Research forum. ;D
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline SouthSam7

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2012, 12:29:07 am »
I don't take Efavirenz and my memory is really bad.  I take Truvada and Isentress. 

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2012, 08:28:28 pm »
I have taken 400 mg (low dose) Sustiva daily for over 12 years with no decline in memory or cognitive abilities.

I have, of late however, had a few sligthly pronounced melancholy episodes. Some of the episodes were tied to stressful situations which I am addressing.
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline mitch777

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2012, 08:38:06 pm »
Done. I remember thinking when this thread was first posted that a better fit would probably be the Treatment forum, but I didn't move it. Something shiny probably distracted my attention.

Or a cat. The boys are always distracting me. ("feed me! let me out! let me in! feed me! the water bowl is empty again! feed me! let me out! let me in don't you know it's fucking raining out here again!")

Now don't go hollering at me if you keep looking for it in the Research forum. ;D

i hope i can remember. :P  ;)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2012, 08:48:50 pm »
I don't take Efavirenz and my memory is really bad.  I take Truvada and Isentress. 

I have taken 400 mg (low dose) Sustiva daily for over 12 years with no decline in memory or cognitive abilities.

I have, of late however, had a few sligthly pronounced melancholy episodes. Some of the episodes were tied to stressful situations which I am addressing.

That's the great thing about having different med options.  Sustiva was destroying my mental capabilities yet when I switched to Isentress, Truvada and Intellence the issues subsided.  I've noticed a marked improvement in my cognitive ability of late.  Perhaps it's the crutches thingy and the need to focus? ;D

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2012, 11:06:13 pm »

I am glad to hear you say this because I am also experiencing cognitive problems of a wide variety.  Not severe impairment, but the "I have a little voice inside that is telling me this isn't right" level of wrong.  It's getting unnerving lately. 

I also do not take sustiva, but do take truvada - along with prezista and a norvir chaser.

It ranges everywhere from marked memory loss to constant wire crossing.  I am finding it harder to type and write.  I make the same mistakes repeatedly - like I try to correct it and write the same incorrect thing.  It made me think of something like dyslexia or something.  Trouble concentrating.  All that mess.  It isn't fun in the least.

I used to type really fast.  You'd be suprised how much slower it was for me to type this and how many mistakes I had to correct multiple times.  At least I can still tell when something IS incorrect.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Valmont

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2012, 12:56:09 pm »
I noticed memory problem almost as soon as I started taking it...  It is really worst if I´m under stress because of work or when I´m tired and sleep bad.  It is a problem at work because I have some responsabilities and I sometimes forget important meetings or events...  I´m also less less patient than before, I don´t know if it is for the drugs or other "problems" in my life, lack of holidays...

In the country where I live, I actually don´t have any other option than Efavirenz (Sustiva) ; anyway, in regard to HIV itself, I consider that these side effects are completely not so hard to deal with...  I hope we will soon have some more option at god price here...
Apr 2011: Diagnotized
Jun 2011: CD4: 504  VL: 176.000
Dic 2011: CD4: 714  VL: 95.000
May 2012: CD4: 395 VL: 67.000
Jun 2012: CD4: 367
Agu 2012: Starting Emtricitabine 200 mg / Tenofovir 300 mg and Efavirenz 600 mg (2 pills) different brands or VIRADAY/ATRIPLA/Mylan....
Sep 2012: VL: 138
Dic 2012: CD4: 708 VL: <34  %CD4: 32%
Jan 2013: CD4: 707 VL: <20
May 2013: CD4: 945 VL: <34 %CD4: 33%
Agu 2013: CD4: 636 VL: <34 %CD4: 50%
Dic 2013: Latent TB, started Isoniazid

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2012, 06:27:04 pm »

Nevermind, I forgot what I was going to say.

-W
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline NY2011

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2012, 07:19:10 pm »
Here's a post that suggests people living with HIV could try to offset neurological damage by eating dark chocolate and drinking green tea and red wine each day.

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/hiv_tea_chocolate_1667_22846.shtml
10/26/2011 - SEROCONVERSION (fever+rash, 104 degrees F)
10/31/2011 - CD4= 154  VL>500,000 
10/31/2011 - started on Truvada+Prezista+Norvir
12/14/2011 - CD4= 750 VL=6412 (45%)
01/27/2012 - switched to Atripla
04/23/2012 - CD4=1,221 VL= 140  (47%)
06/22/2012 - CD4=1,224 VL= ud    (49%)
12/18/2012 - CD4=1,031 VL= ud    (51%)
09/16/2013 - CD4=1,151 VL= ud   (49%)
03/26/2014 - CD4=1,050 VL= ud
11/25/2014 - CD4=1,335 VL= ud
12/01/2015 - CD4=1,115 VL= ud (55%)
11/22/2016 - CD4=1,071 VL= ud (52%)
06/01/2017 - CD4=1,014 VL= ud (53%)
switched to Biktarvy in 2018
04/23/2019 - CD4=1,072 VL= ud (52%)
01/15/2020 - CD4=  925  VL= ud (50%)

Offline mitch777

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2012, 05:29:17 pm »
darn it!
i just burned my muffins trying to multitask!
ugh!
memory issue? >:(

Offline wolfter

« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2012, 05:42:50 pm »
Dang, glad I clicked on this thread.  I forgot Miss Lily was outside.  Poor old gal.  I went to bed once and left her out all night, thank goodness it was summer and she doesn't run off.

What were we discussing again?

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2012, 06:11:39 pm »
darn it!
i just burned my muffins trying to multitask!
ugh!
(

ok, they just need to take your oven away from you. It's time. Hand over the oven keys.

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.