Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:54:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772963
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 234
Total: 236

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Talking about status a different view  (Read 6232 times)

Offline bluelove

Talking about status a different view
« on: August 06, 2006, 02:14:47 pm »
I had breakfast this morning with a girlfriend of mine. Well she told me something that had happened to another friend of hers.

It seems this lady has met a nice man from South Africa, Things have been going well and he asked her a few days ago about having a HIV test. He's neg and wants to stay that way.

She freaked out thinking he was calling her a slut.

Well this is my answer to my girlfriend. Thank god for someone like him who cares enough about himself and her to ask these questions. This is a man who has seen what it can do first hand. I told her you know what l would love to met and shake his hand. Because if we had more people like him we could stop the spread of this faster.And yes he offered to go tested with her again.

She won't  speak to him now because she still thinks he was calling her easy....

Her loss l think....Wish l had been brave enough all those years ago to ask the same question.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Re: Talking about status a different view
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 02:56:52 pm »
I would definitely say it was her loss.

Good for you for trying to educate her. Keep up the good work.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 03:37:45 am »
Your friend has her head in the sand on this one! I totally agree with you that he did the responsible thing here. She needs to get over herself. We live in a different world since HIV has come into our world.
Why do so many people find it hard to deal with HIV. Bluelove, you hit the nail on the head with this one. Until people change their spoiled-ass, comfortable habits, nothing is going to get better.
I would shake his hand too. Now that's sexy...a man who actually cares enough about himself to get tested with someone he cares about. The HIV discussion has to happen much more often or things are only going to get worse. Good for you Blue...Now if we can only get you away from eating those damned doughnuts!
Positive since 1985

Offline Alain

• I am.
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 07:14:02 am »
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 01:40:21 pm by cowandalehouse »

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 07:24:42 am »
I am curious. If asking someone to take an HIV test means that they are being called "easy"... does that mean that HIV positive people are easy?

I would be concerned at your friend's true perception about *you* at this point.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Christine

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 11:16:33 am »
bluelove,
I agree with you 100%. I would like to shake his hand too. He is being responsible for his health...good for him.

Sadly, the woman's reaction is probably more common than we would like to think. Her ignorance could catch up with her someday.

Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 11:25:08 am »
Bluelove, I wish I would have asked that question to...  I think she should think about what he asked a bit harder and reconsider...   Nothing is "easy" but safe, these days.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 12:53:14 pm »
I like JeffreyJ's response -- Now that's sexy...a man who actually cares enough about himself to get tested with someone he cares about. And, Jonathon's perspective is keen as well---she possibly dropped a Clue for Blue as to what she thinks is True. Prime opportunity to pull her over with some Arresting chat. Em

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 01:02:05 pm »
I can't say anything but thanks.  You are truly a friend to this woman, and it shows by this story.  Print out the thread and give it to her when we are done with it.  I think her views of the world might change a bit when she reads the heartfelt opinions of so many HIV+ people.  Information is truly power, and in this case, could have bloomed into much much more.

In Love and Thanks.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 03:34:26 pm »
It's this type of stigma that prevents many from finding what may be the love of their life.  Count my fiance as one of those who came around!

I waited 3 months to tell her my status.  She said to me, I love you too much for this to interfere, we can get through this.  She later admited to me, because she is my soulmate and we talk about everything, that had she known my status either before dating me or early on she likely would have run for the hills.

She now concedes that having a future hubby with HIV is not that different from diabetes or something.  We just have to be a little more careful cause you cant catch diabetes by sharing a snickers bar!!  (and no, fears forum members, you cant catch HIV by sharing a candy bar either, it was simply an analogy of diabets and sugar vs. HIV and sex!)<---that disclaimer was for jonathan, ann, andy, rapid rod and morgan!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 04:09:47 pm by ACinKC »
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 03:51:54 pm »
S
T
I       SUCKS
G
M
A

But then, I'm just a ho.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2006, 06:09:09 pm »
Blue,

Given your friends reaction, I would say the chappie from South Africa has had a lucky escape.

Regards,

MtD
(Who agrees with Daddy Tim - print this thread out and show it to her)

Offline Eldon

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2006, 06:42:22 pm »
Hello Bluelove, it is Eldon. The gentleman really showed his honesty upfront. Your friend should appreciate him with this factor, because there are some who just keep their mouth shut. If I were to meet him, I would love to shake his hand.

Offline joyluckclub

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2006, 12:19:04 am »
Ditto to what everyone else has said. 

As an African American male, HIV/AIDS is ripping the Black community apart. 

Your response to your friend will hopefully help to wake everyone up, black, white, brown, yellow, red, etc, to the need to be open and honest about HIV/AIDS.
"Honey, be who you is"  Madea.........

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2006, 03:14:32 am »
I'm guessing that every single positive person on this forum wishes they had asked that very question themselves AND then accompanied their prospective partners whilst being tested AND whilst receiving results. That's the world we live in.

No disrepect meant but on this matter your friend is being ignorant. Ignorance kills.

Melia
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.