Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:24:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772950
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 480
Total: 482

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Pin Prick  (Read 23479 times)

Offline scaredgirl

Pin Prick
« on: January 01, 2007, 07:18:18 pm »
New to this forum and wanted your advice please? About a week ago, I was hanging posters with someone of unknown status and we were using the same thumb tacks. He pricked himself and dropped the needle on the table, moved on to the other side and I didnt realize he pricked himself (found out later he broke skin and bled in the finger). I ended up using the same pin to hang the poster and then pricked myself with the same pin only 15 sec later. I am now freaking out. I know that HIV is a fragile virus and it doesnt live long outside the body but is it possible I got his blood into my bloodstream? I dont want to go through testing. I've been celibate for 1 year and havent had any sexual risks since my last test. please advise. thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 03:31:26 am by scaredgirl »

Offline Coffeechick88

Re: Pin Prick
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 07:35:49 pm »
HIV isn't going to be transmitted this way even if the guy was actually positive.  There is no testing warranted in this particular situation.
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 08:47:14 pm »
girl,

As Coffee says, you weren't even remotely at risk in this situation. Anticipating your next question, it differs from medical or drug use needle situations because the needles in those instances are hollow-bore and may contain blood INSIDE the needle, which then gets transferred directly into the blood stream. This could not be accomplished with a pin used to put posters up.

Please read the Transmission Lesson - the link is found in the Welcome thread at the top of this forum. Here's what else you need to know:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for intercourse and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline scaredgirl

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 09:04:25 pm »
thank you for your responses but should i be concerned about hep c too as advised to the poster above or is his a different scenario? i have my vaccination again hep b. thanks again for your advice. i trust your responses and knowledge.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 09:13:58 pm »
girl,

No, hep c isn't a worry in this situation either. Again, it's because of the absence of a hollow bore. A pin prick in this situation isn't a worry for anything.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Shakur251

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 09:18:45 pm »
I have a couple questions regarding Ann and Coffee's posts. What if the blood on the solid needle(sewingneedle/pin) has blood on it that is fresh? Would HIV be able to be transmitted in that scenario? Also, how deep would the needle have to puncture the skin to contact the blood stream, would blood have to come out? And would a lite tap with a needle puncture theskin deep enought to enter the blood stream? It would be great if some one could answer those questions. Because i am kind of worried b/c some like that happened to me.

Offline scaredgirl

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 09:19:55 pm »
what's the difference between needles that are used for tatttooing or pins that tailors use? isnt it true that people used to get infected from needles and razors used in prisons to tattoo? they didnt have access to hollow bore needles right? thanks again for your help. i'm not usually this neurotic.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 03:32:19 am by scaredgirl »

Offline scaredgirl

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 09:36:14 pm »
also, hiv DOES live on surfaces for short periods of time bc at the hospital, they have a disenfectant that kills HIV 1 and 2, hsv and other viruses. my friend is a nurse and showed me the bottle so i know its true.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2007, 09:42:56 pm »
Occupational exposures are not the same as getting stuck by a pin. The CDC does not have any documented cases of HIV by tattoo studios. You do not get HIV from environmental surfaces.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 09:47:53 pm by RapidRod »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2007, 09:46:15 pm »
Shakur,

You need to start your own thread. Please read the Welcome Thread first and take note of our forum posting guidelines.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline scaredgirl

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2007, 09:51:16 pm »
this says you can catch hiv from tattooing:

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/qa/qa27.htm

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2007, 09:53:42 pm »
It does not say, that there has ever been a documented case now does it. Why? There has never been one.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2007, 10:03:29 pm »
Scared, you are lingering in the domain of WHAT IFS. HIV is commonly transmitted in very particular ways -- the sharing of needles or unprotected vaginal or anal intercourse. Everything else in terms of risk is in the domain of theoretical and not actual, documented cases.

If you stay with What Ifs your mind can continue to come up endlessly with scary scenarios, all to no good purpose.

Read the lesson about transmission on this site. You get the basics there. There's a link to it in the Welcome thread which opens this section.

This is not an HIV situation. Period.
Andy Velez

Offline scaredgirl

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2007, 10:10:19 pm »
thanks for your advice but when you have anxiety, it's not easy to just stop and try to relax. my concern is if there are disenfectants that are meant to kill HIV on surfaces, why would it not be possible to become infected like that?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2007, 10:15:21 pm »
Take a look at the can of Spray, It does NOT say HIV KILLER. It's not a special spray. It's an all purpose spray used to wipe down beds sinks, light switches, IV poles etc., etc., etc.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2007, 10:29:29 pm »
I didn't tell you not to be anxious. That's usually as ineffectual as telling someone who's worked up to "relax."

All I did is point out what I know to be so. I decline the job of addressing each of the fears your mind may continue to come up with. If you want to go that route that is your choice. All we can do is tell you what we know to be so as grounded in HIV science.

Andy Velez

Offline scaredgirl

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2007, 03:24:35 am »
I'm pretty sure that the person is positive and I am really worried.

Offline Coffeechick88

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2007, 05:25:44 am »
Why are you sure he was positive?  Unless you have inside knowledge to his test results, you cannot possibly know.  You cannot tell by looking at him, by his lifestyle, anything.  But anyhow, it doesn't change what everyone has been telling you--even if he does have HIV, you do not have a risk from this particular incident.
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline scaredgirl

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2007, 07:29:29 am »
I knew his boyfriend and he definitely was positive. I never asked him if he was or not. I called the CDC in the middle of the night and they said it is possible but that I should call my doctor. I havent slept all night from the anxiety. I know you cant look at someone and know their status. Odds are likely he does though. I feel so ill from this stress.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2007, 08:31:29 am »
Oh you are sure he does? Congradulations, it didn't take you long to become a doctor. You don't place odds on who is or who isn't. It's not a guessing game.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2007, 09:19:49 am »
scared,

You cannot assume that one half of a partnership is positive just because the other is. My own partner and I have been together for over seven years and he is hiv negative. There are hundreds of thousands of what are called serodiscordant relationships over the globe - and quite frankly, it is insulting when someone assumes that because I am positive, that my partner must be as well. It also betrays a deep ignorance where hiv is concerned.

You cannot seriously compare tattooing to getting stuck with a poster pin. It's like comparing a jumbo jet to an automobile.

You did NOT have a risk of hiv infection in this pin-stick incident and it's time you let it go.

Ann
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 09:21:36 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline scaredgirl

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2007, 09:31:23 am »
I am so sorry if you or anyone else were offended, that definitely wasn't my intention at all. I have friends who are in serodiscordant relationships too. I am just very stressed out and I was looking for support. Sometimes my mouth just rambles on and I write a stream of consiousness. I, in no way, think that just because someone's partner is positive means they are too. I think calling the CDC made me worse though. I feel like they just read from a text book and I dont know what to think.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2007, 09:39:01 am »
girl,

The CDC aids hotline is worse than useless. The people who answer the phones rarely get the answers correct and yes, they are reading from outdated materials.

You didn't have a risk. Period, end of story.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline scaredgirl

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2007, 09:47:36 am »
Well they said that the virus does not die instantly and it could still be on the pin but not duplicating the virus but still capable of infection. I swear they made me worse. I was starting to calm down and they stressed me out all over again. If I think rationally, I would think I'm overreacting but I know he cut his hand and so did I. That does seem like blood to blood. I dont want to argue with anyone here, I just needed a place to vent my thoughts and get support. Ann, you have been really kind and patient and I appreciate it. I feel like you are educated on all of this and I feel better with each reply you give me. Once again, I am really sorry if you were offended at all.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2007, 11:02:53 am »
You need to get some professional help, one on one.. I can see you will keep running around in circles and will not be getting anywhere with this. You have been told you don't get hiv in the manner in which you have described. I don't see any reason for us to go over this again and again. Good luck with receiving the help you need.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 02:22:07 pm by RapidRod »

Offline scaredgirl

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2007, 01:45:48 pm »
I was right. he is positive. my friend tried talking me down from this anxiety but it still seems like a possibility and that scares me knowing now that he is in fact positive and i may have come in contact with his blood when i pierced my skin and bled.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2007, 01:52:06 pm »
Doesn't matter if he is or isn't. You are not going to get infected in that manner. End of subject.

Offline scaredgirl

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2007, 05:46:19 pm »
I spoke to my doctor about 2 hours ago and he said I should be okay but he thinks I should get tested just to make sure. He said there are many factors that are unknown and these would make it less or more likely (whether he was on meds or not, how long it had been since he stuck himself and then I stuck myself, etc). I feel so stressed out over this. I dont know how to cope.

Offline Coffeechick88

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2007, 06:09:51 pm »
I hope you don't get this melodramatic over every little thing.  You won't get HIV, no way, no how.  It has been spelled out over and over and over and over and over... The only value to getting tested would be for you to see a negative result and (hopefully) end this obsessing.  Your money would be much better spent on a mental health professional. 
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 06:31:10 pm by Coffeechick88 »
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline Shakur251

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2007, 07:00:59 pm »
Why does CDC call percutaneous exposure from a solid/sewing needle a risk (even if they call it a less severe risk) when there has been no case ever of HIV being spread by a solid needle?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2007, 07:11:40 pm »
Shakur251, this is the second time you have been told not to post your questions and concerns in others threads. 

Offline Shakur251

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2007, 07:21:11 pm »
RapidRod take it easy man. My post had to do with the topic. A

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2007, 07:31:28 pm »
Read the guide lines. It doesn't matter if your concerns match anyone elses. You do not post your concerns in another persons thread.

Offline scaredgirl

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2007, 06:13:35 pm »
Andy, you dont think I need to be tested? Everyone seems to think this is a non risk and all what ifs but my doctor said it's all different factors bc we do know he is for sure positive. what do you think? By the way, Ann, you give really supportive advice and I appreciate all of your help.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2007, 07:17:04 pm »
scared,

There is no way on earth you'd become infected in this manner. Put it this way. I'm positive and if my daughter poked herself with a drawing pin I just had poked myself with, I wouldn't give it a second thought. It isn't a risk.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline scaredgirl

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2007, 07:19:30 pm »
Ann, that makes me feel a LOT better honestly. I was thinking asking that but didnt think it was appropriate to ask someone that I dont know. Thanks for your thoughts.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.