Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:02:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773185
  • Total Topics: 66334
  • Online Today: 476
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 305
Total: 306

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Virgin Coconut Oil  (Read 35941 times)

Offline MatthewAmsterdam

Virgin Coconut Oil
« on: June 16, 2006, 02:35:44 pm »
Hi all, in the old forums there was a looooong thread about the benefits of taking Virgin Coconut Oil and monolaurin as a supplement to surpress the VL. It sounded so good, that 6 months ago I decided to give it a try. Unfortunately, it didn't turn out the "miracle" product I hoped it would be. At least, it didn't work for me: my cellcount gradually went down, and my VL doubled and then more than doubled. I'm now at 190CD4s and my VL is over half a million, so I'm started with medication now. Hopefully VCO and other coconut products will prove to be beneficial for others, but it might not work for all of us - so don't keep your hopes up too high!
2005/05: 270 CD4 (26%) VL 21,070
2005/07: 320 CD4 (20%) VL 42,780
2005/10: 280 CD4 (21%) VL 89,000
2006/01: 340 CD4 (17%) VL 130,000
2006/03: 290 CD4 (17%) VL 179,000
2006/05: 190 CD4 (11%) VL 726,120 (started meds)
2006/07: 200 CD4 (14%) VL 1,302

Offline water duck

Re: Virgin Coconut Oil
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 05:20:01 pm »
COCONUT - thought we were finished with VCO  :o :o :o

Developing countries creating new products for developed countries !!

Sometimes we get so clever that we becomes stupid  :D

Offline Steven

• A Place To Start
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 08:06:02 pm »
In itself the VCO is a decent product, BUT, the problem lies in that people are looking at different products including VCO as a means to control this virus.  It Can't !  Using the product to allow your body to absorb the beneficial nutrients is great but the only known product that can suppress this virus is the MEDS.

Understand that the virus is robbing your body of vitamins and nutrients which you can add back into your system, some people can use a single multivitamin
and others use a combination of vitamins and supplements that do various things.  You need to listen to your body and then decide what is best for yourself.

Offline mehriels

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 03:57:42 am »
Virgin coconut oil is a wonderful gift from nature. The remarkable wonders it can do can be likened to a miracle. But holistic health cannot be achieved by consuming virgin coconut oil alone. A person intent on achieving total wellness must look at virgin coconut oil as an effective way but not the only means to accomplish the goal.

It’s a sad truth but not everyone who uses virgin coconut oil experience positive changes in their health. Others will be quick to judge that coconut oil is not that healthy after all. But a close look at the attitudes and lifestyle of these individuals will reveal that no amount of medicine or treatment can actually make them healthy. To benefit from the healing properties of virgin coconut oil, one must take into account some important factors.

http://www.thevirgincoconutoil.com/articleitem.php?articleid=180

Offline clarke

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 02:13:20 pm »
Just outa curiosity?  How does one determine if the oil is "virgin" or if it has been, ummm, deflowered?  :P

Offline clarke

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 02:17:49 pm »
Just read the article.  I'm not sure that 14 "patients" are an empirical statement of evicence or factual.

I would think that many HIV+ or PWA's more need to be studied for something like that to be a definite truth/fact.

I'm not saying it doesn't work (and for smoe, it may work). I am saying that 14 people studied don't really shout "here it is!" to me.

Offline fearless

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 11:15:37 pm »
Virgin oils are from the first pressings and do not undergoe any processing or refining. They are cold pressed ie no heat treatment to extract the oil, which means they retain all that natural goodness.
Extra virgin oils are from the first pressing, and virgin from the second.

You have to read the labels though. Anything labelled 'pure', 'light' or 'extra-light' has been processed and many of the beneficial properties lost
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline scottL

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 11:49:31 pm »
I'm with Water Duck

come on....let's be serious about this

Offline eternalhope

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2006, 01:19:03 am »
AIDS victim tells of healing virtues of coco oil

First posted 00:46am (Mla time) May 22, 2005
By Cesar C. Villariba
Inquirer News Service

Editor's Note: Published on page A1 of the May 22, 2005 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

IN COMING out to tell a story that has to be told, Tom, 28, lends a face of hope to the 2,250 AIDS sufferers in the Philippines, who have been drawn into the global fight against the dreaded disease.
Beneath the sunglasses he wears are eyes moist not with self-pity but in triumph.
An all-covered getup, in the summer heat, hides a body scarred by a disease Tom contracted as a victim of gang rape while he was working in the Middle East.
Coming home in 2002, Tom was devastated to learn that hospitals and drugs could not help alleviate at least his pains, if not deliver him from the virus slowly gnawing at his cells and taking his life away.
His was the kind of pain that came not so much from the infections ravaging his body but from the shame the disease had brought him.
Given up for dying, Tom knew he had to look elsewhere-beyond drugs-to win his battle.
Nine months later, Tom appeared before a health symposium, for all to witness his remarkable recovery.
What

Print this story
Send this story
Write the editor
Reprint this article
View other stories

function iprop01300x250_092006_go(){ Newin=window.open("") Newin.location.href ="http://oascentral.inq7.net/RealMedia/ads/click_lx.ads/news.inq7.net/inquirerheadlines/nation/1608171446/Middle/INQ7/HOUSEAD-MP-01-BB/iprop01300x250_092006.html/37633661643037343434643035346430"; }

used to be skin sores all over his body were now just scars.
And his life energy had been restored enough to become an eloquent testimony to how something so natural as virgin coconut oil had halted his free fall.
"You don't know how hard it is for one to have an illness that others find repulsive ... I had wanted to shut myself inside my room and just wait for my time to die," Tom told symposium participants.
Tom's journey to healing began when he sought out the Department of Health.
Health Secretary Manuel Dayrit referred his case to the author of the first clinical study on the healing effects of coconut oil on the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-his father, Dr. Conrado Dayrit.
Since September 2004, the young AIDS patient has been on a high dose of virgin coconut oil, which he applies on his skin twice a day, short of "bathing in it."
He also takes six tablespoonfuls daily without fail.
Tom said it helped that Secretary Dayrit was able to secure for him a steady supply of the healing oil from virgin coconut oil producers-for free.
Each time Tom went to have his periodic hospital tests, his viral load decreased progressively. Tom said that when he told hospital doctors what he was taking, they could not believe that an inexpensive natural food oil was killing the viruses better than all the expensive drugs science could churn out.
Naturopath Dr. Bruce Fife, author of Coconut Oil Miracles and Coconut Cures, concurs with Conrado Dayrit in saying that if virgin coconut oil can hold its own against deadly viruses, it can effectively protect one against lesser diseases.
Tom's case could be an eye-opener for scientists and prompt them into taking a closer look at coconut's other medical possibilities.
Presentations on the curative power of the coconut have spurred participants in the symposium-local coconut research luminaries, industry leaders and government officials-to work on helping not only the coconut industry but also people stricken by illness to get their health back again.
Presenting her National Academy of Science and Technology award-winning research on the efficacy of virgin coconut oil as a cure for skin diseases, like psoriasis and herpes simplex, dermatologist Dr. Vermen Verallo-Rowell batted for the use of natural virgin coconut oil as a safer and cheaper alternative to pharmaceutical antibiotics.
Government pledge
Dr. Verallo-Rowell's self-funded studies have only partially touched on the multi-benefits of coconut but already they have attracted an American publisher in soybean-oil land to fund her upcoming book, "Coconut, the Perfect Health Nut."
Speaking for the government, Agriculture Secretary Arthur Yap said that the earnings from coconut levy investments (as distinguished from sequestered levy assets) would be judiciously tapped for well-laid research and market development plans that would benefit this coconut-producing country and its coconut-consuming people.
On the consumers' side, Dean Fabian Dayrit PhD, of Ateneo de Manila University's Department of Chemistry, offered consumers science-based quality tests to determine what kind of coconut oil suits specific needs-and tastes.
Business vs science
Dr. Fife capped the symposium by saying that despite his books disputing allegations that coconut oil was bad for the heart and uncovering the dangers of transfatty acids in other oils, the American Soybean Association remained a powerful lobby to reckon with in the battle for consumers' health.
Verallo-Rowell, head of Makati Medical Center's Department of Dermatology, appealed for research fund support and urged the coconut industry to "counter soybean oil's business tactics with solid science."
Dr. Coconut
Fife, dubbed Dr. Coconut for his relentless health advocacy, challenged the country to take the lead in pushing the coconut as a "virtual medicine chest."
He told Filipinos that "you don't have the problems that we have," such as the rise in obesity, malnutrition and diabetes in the United States.
Sen. Jamby Madrigal, who was in the audience, promised to help make the country's natural resources-such as virgin coconut oil-accessible to its own people.
As for AIDS sufferer Tom, the non-government organization VCO Philippines gave him an assurance of a lifetime supply of his medicinal oil, and pledged to support others like him.
More on why coconut cures can be read in Bruce Fife's book available in limited quantities (from VCO Philippines 02-7233497, or Friday's in Boracay 036-2886222, or from the website www.piccadillybooks.com).
The Philippine Coconut Authority has just sealed a deal with Fife to publish the Philippine edition at an affordable cost for release in August 2005.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 07:01:41 am »

I just want to make clear the fact that coconut oil is NOT a cure for hiv. There is no cure for hiv at this time, no matter how much some people might want you to buy coconut oil. There may or may not be some health benefits to coconut oil, but it will NOT cure hiv.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 08:42:46 am »
Another thing to remember about virgin cocoanut oil is it can have an adverse effect on blood lipids. 

For those of us already battling higher levels of lipids should be cautious when adding this to our diet in any quantity.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.