Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:32:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 795
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 613
Total: 615

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: A twinge of regret  (Read 3016 times)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
A twinge of regret
« on: August 29, 2008, 10:45:03 am »
I just read an op-ed piece written by one of my former editors, Troy Turner. Poor Troy, when I worked with him he spent most of his time cowering in fear lest the rabid homosexual (me) jump his bones.

I tried to set his mind at ease, but never really accomplished it. He did have a nice butt. I guess I should never have mentioned it to him.  ::)

That said, reading Troy's piece about his meeting celebs at the Democratic National Convention caused a twinge of regret for me.

I spent nearly 20 years as a journalist. I truly loved that profession. I loved what I did, at least for the first 15 or so years. I loved being up front and center, whether it was a fluff piece or hard news.

OK, I am basically nosey.

Well, that ended and, rather than moving on and starting over, I decided to stay where I had put down roots and branch off into another profession.

Don't  get me wrong. I love what I do now. I find it challenging, frustrating and rewarding.

But, every once in a while, I get just a twinge of regret, because I really loved being a reporter.

I should mention this was before the corporate takeover of the media and before the bottom line became more important than the content of the newspaper.

I doubt I would go back into that business today. There are just too many corporate strings and restrictions, which I believe affects both credibility and balanced reporting.

They also pay like crap. It is definitely a job for the young, who don't mind being hungry.

Anyway, that was my rant for the moment. Just having a momentary twinge.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
Re: A twinge of regret
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 11:12:57 am »
Given the circumstances you cite, I'm betting you are far rewarded in a different way now, but it still feels good at the end of the day. You do make a difference. Don't forget that. :-*
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 12:56:45 am »
Hey Mark,

I probably wouldn't either.  My first job after college was for the Ukiah Daily Journal.  It had been locally owned, it belonged to a company in Fort Smith Arkansas, still managed locally.  There was a few weekly papers and some shoppers to compete with.  I had the best times working there and opened an advertising agency.

Ed and Hattie Burton had a little paper in Willits called the Willits News, it printed on Wednesdasy and Friday.  The Burtons worked very hard keeping it local.

There was a daily paper in Eureka, which printed our college paper every month and I dropped the flats off in the middle of the night.

There was a paper in Healdsburg which printed my monthly direct mail piece.  The client made changes right up to press run, I often used their tables to cut my color plates.

Since I have left Los Angeles, I have applied for a couple of jobs in Lake and Mendocino Counties.  Almost all of the Northern California, which I have worked with in my, were once independent and now belong to New Media, a company in Colorado.

I designed a magazine once, New Car Illustrated was an advertising program which offered a full page of copy for every page advertised and equal rotation of Front and Back cover, Double Truck.  It was to be supported with an agressive radio schedule.  I must say in a production studio, I was pure energy and sheer genius.  As individuals, there was not 1 car dealer in the two county area which didn,t love it but... The decision to progress had to be made by the Car Dealers Association (the very same dealers) and they would never commit.

I moved to Hawaii, and became Promotions Manager dor some radio stations.  There were 29 radio stations in Hawaii at the time and one of ours was listed in last place in Arbitron.  By working together, we managed to bring KDEO FM from #29 to #9 within 6 months.  I dreamed up the contests and sent 4 lucky listeners to L.A. for Ziggy Marley and 4 more to Nashville to see the closing performance of The Judds. Four more from Honolulu to LA to see Reba and Vince Gill.  The winners got hotel, air, ground transportation and back stage passes.  My Travel Agency client was very aggressive, paid for it all and got hundreds of free mentions for different travel packages.  But, I could put together programs and get them funded.

I started with a set of Exacto knives, a light table, a hot wax machine and a digital audio processor.  I managed 7 accounts equalling a $1 million book of business and could account for any month expenditures, for any client, within 10 minutes, including the coop percentage.  I was the junk mail king of the county and god, I loved doing it. 

I kicked myself into high gear one last time with the RWCA website, when I first came here to the Forums.  I have 1 personal contact in every newspaper and every radio station in 5 counties.  Damn, after 10 years of AIDS, I could still get the project completed.  The site drew 160,000 unique visitors who went to the letters to Congress

Would I do it again?  I did those years feeling pain in my legs and became aware of my physical limitations.  My current goals are to make Restless Leg Syndrome, PN and Osteopenia manageable because I have all three so walking is painful and sometimes very difficult.  I do have Physical Therapy, twice weekly.

There is an organization in San Francisco called Positive Resource Center, the beneficiaries of the car show in SF during AMG.  They have several programs and many services available to help people living with HIV get skills and job search.   I couild get some skills training through PRC, after fixing my legs and then go back to work.  I believe I can complete these tasks by my 65th BD.

I began designing my Safety Trivia program while in the hospital for PCP and got my AIDS diagnosis.  I was in isolation for a couple of months but the Nurses would disconnect the IV, let me get dressed and go for a walk.  Shit, I was VP of CMA and my work was national in the safety arena.

I saw some signs on the bulletin board addressing medical center safety issues.  I started dropping in on the Risk Management managers, gave me some ideas.  I called a friend to bring my laptop because I was working on Safety Trivia, Medical Center Series, Year I.  In the last 10 years, I have developed the safety product into 9 industry specific annual themes for companies with fewer than 500 employees.

I am invinceable!  I am rarely paid but, I do work.  I was watching Gov. Richardson on TV and comes to mind that you went to either high school or college with Gov. Richardson.  He seemed like quite the Cheerleader at the Convention so I was wondering if you had ever dated the current Governor of your state as a student?  If you have any wild stories, please do tell  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 08:12:12 am »
Mark, I bet you'd make a totally bitchin' blogger. Ever consider writing one? Please do, I know I'd be a loyal reader.  :-*
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 12:00:50 pm »
I second Ann's suggestion, Mark. It would be a great op for you to say thngs worth saying and well grounded in your experience.

As for ho-ing in the media, I know what you mean. Did my share of that. It has degenerated over the years into H Y P E , fluff and puff.

But a blog from you, that would be a whole other story.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.