Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 06:34:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772997
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 225
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 163
Total: 164

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Treatment Naive - Starting Truvada/Raltegravir instead of Atripla  (Read 5132 times)

Offline YankInAustralia

Treatment Naive - Starting Truvada/Raltegravir instead of Atripla
« on: September 27, 2013, 12:05:02 am »
Hey Guys,

Just want to introduce myself as I am new to this group.  I have been poz for about 6 years and never been on nor needed meds.  My last tcell count was 720 with 8,000 VL, so really quite good.  Stable numbers over the last 6 years as well with no downward trend.

That said, its looking clearer and clearer that early treatment is wise, and not treating can lead to inflammation and longer term issues.  I have decided to go on meds.

I don't have a history of mental issues at all, but I am still wary of Atripla. I am wary enough that I have choosen to start with a combo of Truvada and Insentress. From what I know, and I work in the HIV health sector, this combination is terrific. 

My question is, do you think its worth trying Atripla? 

Offline buginme2

Re: Treatment Naive - Starting Truvada/Raltegravir instead of Atripla
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 12:19:55 am »

My question is, do you think its worth trying Atripla?

No, but with your low viral load Complera would be a one pill once a day option that's really easy and doesn't have the crazies like Atripla.  Or stick with the I/T or the new Tivicay, or Stribild.

I was on Atripla, it was great but it does have some issues.  I just feel there are better options now. 
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline YankInAustralia

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 12:24:36 am »
Thanks for replying Buginme2. That seems to be the advice I keep getting, that is, not even trying the Aptripla.

We currently have 2 one-a-days in Australia available, Atripla and Eviplera.  I am resistant to the rilpivirine in the Eviplera so I can't take one.

I was thinking the best would be the Truvada/Isentress and then switch to Quad/Stribild when it comes out here in early 2014.

So my doctors appointment is actually in 90 minutes and I am going to pick up my script and start tonight I think.

Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Cheers,

KJ

Offline buginme2

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 12:26:48 am »
Curious, why the rilpivrine hesitation? I'm on Complera (Eviplera) and it's been super easy.  I used to be on Atripla and it was easy too just not as easy (it definitely has issues).

Regardless Isentress is very easy also from what I've heard

Offline YankInAustralia

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 12:33:26 am »
Thanks for being able to read through my typos!

Personally I have no issue with Complera but apparently my strain is resistant to it!

I am just ready to start medicating.  I have had so many years to prep myself. I guess I will start in about five hours!

Offline buginme2

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 01:23:51 am »
Sorry, resistant not hesitant.  It's late here and I'm not thinking clearly.  The I/T will work great. Good luck. I'm sure it will be smooth sailing.

Offline darryaz

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 01:32:31 am »
I can never remember who it was, but one of the Long-Term Survivors on here reported that Isentress/Truvada was the first combination (of many he had tried) that had absolutely NO side effects for him.

Offline oksikoko

• Writing the congressman again
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 02:58:57 am »
I can never remember who it was, but one of the Long-Term Survivors on here reported that Isentress/Truvada was the first combination (of many he had tried) that had absolutely NO side effects for him.

I believe that was miss P (maybe not...)

Integrase inhibitors seem relatively easy on the system. I wish I could just take three of them and dump the Truvada!

That said, its looking clearer and clearer that early treatment is wise, and not treating can lead to inflammation and longer term issues.  I have decided to go on meds.

If you've been poz six years, I wouldn't exactly call this 'early treatment'. ;)

Good luck with your regimen!
Code: [Select]
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)
2014-11-06:                ☣ VL (→) 12,627      ☣ CD4 (→) 639
2014-??-??: off treatment  ☣ VL (?)              ☣ CD4 (?)
2013-10-03:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1105
2013-05-23:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (-) 945
2013-02-25:                ☣ VL (-) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1123
2012-12-16: Enter Stribild
2012-11-20: HIV+           ☣ VL (→) 132,683      ☣ CD4 (→) 920
2012-04-01: HIV-
Dates in this signature file conform to ISO 8601. ;-)

If no one complains, nothing will ever change.

Offline a2z

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 07:39:54 pm »
I/T is my second combination (my first never quite did the job and made me feel pretty awful at time) and the difference compared to my first combination is night and day.  I do likely have the hearing side-effect mentioned with Isentress, and Truvada has likely contributed to a slight weakening of my bones, but compared to either the first regimen or the alternative... it's been fantastic.

Insomnia is another one to watch out for.  I was an insomniac before, so.....
Dates are blood draw dates:
3/12/15: CD4 941, 36.4%, VL UD
9/4/14: CD4 948, 37.9%, VL 150
5/23/14: CD4 895 --.-% VL UD - Truvada/Isentress
09/21/09: CD4 898 27.0% VL 120 - back on track, same meds.High level enzymes, but less so
06/15/09: CD4 478 21.8% VL 1150 - high liver enzymes... looks like I may not be resistant
05/22/09: Fixed insurance, resumed medicine
04/17/09: Ran out of medicine, could not resolve insurance problems
04/01/09: CD4 773 28% VL 120 - high liver enzymes
12/01/08: CD4 514 23% VL 630
10/17/08 started Reyataz, Norvir and Truvada. -- possibly minor neuropathy, but otherwise okay.
9/10/08: CD4 345 17%, VL > 78K
8/18/08: CD4 312 18%, VL > 60K (considering meds)
12/19/07: CD4 550 28% VL > 100K (no meds yet)
Diagnosed 10/23/07

Offline YankInAustralia

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 03:22:12 am »
Thanks for all the info guys.

Got my pills which are sitting on my desk here.  Pretty amazing, you get 2 full months of both meds for a total of $70 here in Australia.  The healthcare system is amazing here.

Anyways, I will keep you updated and hopefully be able to share my experience with Truvada/Isentress.

Bubye!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.