Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:40:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 353
Total: 354

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Foley's actions are despicable--no doubt about it...  (Read 7819 times)

Offline ademas

Foley's actions are despicable--no doubt about it...
« on: October 04, 2006, 11:04:55 am »
but I'm not sure that pedophile is the correct term.
Isn't a pedophile attracted to prepubescent children?

I got thinking about my sordid past while watching the news last night.  I was sexually active at 15, and I messed around with some men in their late-20's and early-30's.  I knew exactly what I was doing (and I did it quite well, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself...)  So...was I the victim of pedophiles?

When I look back, it seems very strange.  I really can't fathom having a sexual relationship these days with anyone under...say...thirty-five.  But it certainly didn't seem strange to me at the time.

Thoughts?

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
Re: Foley's actions are despicable--no doubt about it...
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 11:44:36 am »
As of now we still don't know if had sex with any of these kids. All we have are dirty IMs and nothing more till whoever is releasing this stuff releases more. It is curious how reporters had these IMs a month ago and did not release them.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 11:51:12 am »
Research reveals that Republican males have small penises.

Offline ademas

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 11:54:48 am »
Research reveals that Republican males have small penises.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 11:55:32 am »
Research also reveals 98.7% of pedophiles are white, heterosexual, Republican males with small penises.

Offline ademas

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 11:57:37 am »
Jack, I didn't mean to imply that Foley had sex with anyone.
I was questioning the use of the term pedophile, which I'm hearing tossed around quite a bit on the news.

Offline libvet

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 12:07:34 pm »
I agree the term "pedophile" is probably not the correct term.  Hitting on underaged boys over the internet is definitely criminal.

And as far as the transcripts I have read, a couple of them refer to the last time they hooked up and what they could do next time they meet.

Maf54: I miss you lots since san diego.
Teen:   ya I cant wait til dc
Maf54: :)
Teen:   did you pick a night for dinner
Maf54: not yet…but likely Friday
Teen:   ok…ill plan for Friday then
Maf54: that will be fun

The messages also show the teen is, at times, uncomfortable with Foley's aggressive approach.

Maf54: I want to see you
Teen:   Like I said not til feb…then we will go to dinner
Maf54: and then what happens
Teen:  we eat…we drink…who knows…hang out…late into the night
Maf54: and
Teen:  I dunno
Maf54: dunno what
Teen:  hmmm I have the feeling that you are fishing here…im not sure what I would be comfortable with…well see

While, I don't suggest we have proof that Foley has gone beyond what we so far know, there is sufficient reason to strongly suspect that he has done more than just IM and email minors.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 02:46:21 pm »
I believe that the term pedophile applies to any person who seeks to have sex with underage children.  I do not think that a teenager playing with someone a little older would be included.  However, since the age range was so wide and some of these pages were under 18, well that is exploiting children.

We need to stop coddling animals like Foley, because now he will just claim that the alcohol made him do it and use that as a smoke screen to hide the fact that he is a pedophile.

Gay men seek to have sex with other adult gay men, not minors.  Pedophiles seek sex with underage children, which is what I believe this man did.  It is time to stop all this foolish PC crap and call it like we see it.

To me it is very cut and dry.  You want sex with children, you are a pedophile, period, end of discussion.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 02:48:47 pm by killfoile »

Offline Cliff

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 03:45:11 pm »
Foley has requested that his lawyer announce to the world that he is gay.

Mr Foley's lawyer says his client has declared he is gay and was abused at a church in his early teens.

Why now?  He was angry when his sexuality was made an issue in the past and he refused to discuss it, now he makes it an issue.  And the 'I was abused too' excuse is hilarious.  This guy is grasping for straws.  First booze made him do it.  Now this...

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 03:47:38 pm »
Cliff, you are so right about the misdirection but I imagine what most people will remember is that Foley is a gay man who sought sex with children, when one has nothing to do with the other.

Offline Terry

• 7/13/82 Infected
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2006, 06:25:29 pm »

Foley’s attorney is spinning everything he can for a defense, for when they get to court.

Gee I wonder if I stop drinking will I become straight? I never realized that drinking could make you gay.

The most serious thing about this is that it is a total cover up buy the Republican leadership of the house. They refused to let the other side of the isle know what was going with Foleys email or im.

Bush's newly controlled/arranged FBI has sat on this information since July and only started an investigation after Friday’s breaking story on CNN.

All one hears on the news is gay, gay and gay. When it should be Pedophile, pedophile, and pedophile. Gay is the image that the embarrassed Republicans want and will, put on this in order to save face.

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2006, 07:50:43 pm »
Foley is
a gay man who sought sex with children,
Isn't that an Evangelists definition of a roman catholic male?
Research also reveals 98.7% of pedophiles are white, heterosexual, Republican males with small penises.
Actually in the Ottoman empire it was quite common and still goes on in Afghanistan where a boy is taken by a married man and groomed to be his toy.
On the opposite side of the coin the bible has this spiel about Noah cursing his grandson because the father (Noah's son) did something to Noah when Noah was drunk and naked in a tent.
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2006, 08:48:48 pm »
i am Catholic. Don't hear the hypocrites ever making fun of Muslims. Too funny.
I heard today that it is legal in Florida to do whatever Foley was doing with kids 16 and up rather than 18.
He is gone. Doesn't he know the excuse that a priest raped me doesn't work for Republicans,only libs and their precious victims. I have been a Catholic my whole life and know many Catholics, none raped or seduced.
But Barney Frank remains. Robert Byrd remains. Teddy Kennedy is still there. Bill Clinton hung in there even though he was guilty of sexual harassment. That's what it is called when you try to screw or screw someone who works for you. It is what it is

Offline Terry

• 7/13/82 Infected
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2006, 09:16:30 pm »

???  ???  ???

Offline alisenjafi

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2006, 09:22:26 pm »
Here in NYC we get evangilists passing out pamphlets all the time on how the pope is the devil
Maybe because the majority of xtians are not RC they figure to come up here to spread their word.
You wouldn't make fun of a muslim cause your neighbirhood wouldn't survive!
I heard today that it is legal in Florida to do whatever Foley was doing with kids 16 and up rather than 18.
That only applies to those of the opposite sex and goats.
I too was brought up catholic and never  had a problem with a priest, this is why I am gay, trying to make up for lost time.
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
The Smiths

Offline libvet

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2006, 09:55:58 pm »

I heard lots of things today that didn't really pan out.  And I hate to be a wet blanket but the age of consent in Florida is 18 although there is a provision for 16 providing the older person is 24 or younger.

I realize that most of the right winger is eager to put this story behind them, but misinformation is not going clear this up any faster.

Offline whizzer

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2006, 10:02:56 pm »

Barney Frank never has never denied that he was gay.  He has not blamed his sexual orientation on priests or drinking.  He has not hidden who he is in order to get votes from the gay-hating Christian Right.

Robert Byrd has not blamed his former racist rantings on priests or strong drink.  He has not denied his past.  He has stated that he was wrong, and that he changed his mind.  For that, I suppose, Jack would have him punished forever.

Bill Clinton had relations with someone who, though young, was a consenting adult.   He did not threaten her job in order to have a tryst with her.  He did not offer her political favors in order to bed her.  And since she did not work directly for him, and since he promised no punishment or favors, political or otherwise I find your charge of sexual harassment ridiculous.   He was guilty of poor judgement, true, but not of sexual harassment. 

Teddy Kennedy has not denied the drinking or the womanizing.  He even admitted that "when I returned Mary Jo and the car were gone".

There is a whole contingent of anti-gay Gay Republicans.  They hide their sexuality and pander to the gay-hating Christian Right so that they may remain in power.  They repeatedly vote against the interests of gay people.  They are hypocrites.  THAT is why they must fall on their swords when their sexual behavior comes to light.  THAT is why they can't remain in office when the their truth becomes public knowledge.  THAT is why the punishment for them appears more severe than the punishment meted out to Democrats.  They make a Faustian bargain with the devils-in-biblical-garb, and thereby hold themselves to a higher standard than us mere mortals, which is why people take such pleasure in their fall.

I am an unabashed social Liberal.  And I make fun of the radical Muslims all the time - and the radical Catholics - and the radical Hasidic Jews, and the radical Christian Evangelicals.  All fundamentalist wackos are dangerous, not matter which god they worship.

I also make fun HIV infected Conservatives; they are an anachronism so comic it almost makes me think god really does have a sense of humor.

Offline alisenjafi

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2006, 10:59:45 pm »
Something that is getting lost is also the fact that the people can chose to stand behind someone like ted kennedy or even foley.  They chose to stand behind kennedy.
What I find so weird is fathers are coming to the aid of this guy.
As far as being an alcoholic how come no one caught him drunk- ever. Show me the bottles. As for gay how come there aren't charges against him from all those hot military guys in their 20's running around DC?
If he was molested why didn't it come out sooner, being the guardian of the exploited ,  you would think he would capitalize this event and be a poster boy.  As well as the fact that he was writing laws to get pedophiles , why wasn't he going after his ?
His alibi about booze already has been discredited. I  With Mel's mishap a few weeks ago I wonder if any one will make comparisons?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 11:04:31 pm by alisenjafi »
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
The Smiths

Offline Teresa

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2006, 11:07:04 pm »
I'm in no way sticking up for this guy.

My ex is an alcoholic and he never missed a day of work, was never drunk or drinking while at work. He drank in the evenings and on weekends. So just because no one has ever seen him drunk doesn't mean hes not an alcoholic.

Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline alisenjafi

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2006, 11:33:59 pm »
I understand the concept of functioning alcoholic, and like a good druggy they know how to hide it. But since no one was at his house I would imagine he would have a fair supply. As well as credit card records of his drunken binges.

No one is that good at hiding it unless everyone is turning their heads. And you know in DC nothing gets by them. They live off scandels
 When they raided his house did he have a supply of booze ?  He had no need to hide anything there because he lived alone.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 11:37:52 pm by alisenjafi »
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
The Smiths

Offline Curious1958

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2006, 12:25:52 pm »
If you will notice how every time one of these idiots gets caught they immediately run to Rehab lol.  It makes you wonder how many more there are in our government.    Hmmm says he was molested, I seriously wonder about that one too.  He is odviously a sick walking freak of nature big time.

Offline libvet

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2006, 12:38:34 pm »
If you will notice how every time one of these idiots gets caught they immediately run to Rehab lol.  It makes you wonder how many more there are in our government.    Hmmm says he was molested, I seriously wonder about that one too.  He is odviously a sick walking freak of nature big time.

It's kind of an interesting defense that one about being molested.  Of course, groups that are involved in the scandal involving the Catholic Church are asking that he name the priest who molested him.

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2006, 07:16:45 am »
Defense  1-800

Go To rehab

assume responsibility

blame ABC new

Blame the dems

Fucking joke...The republicans are power drunk, and they ALL need to be removed from office
Positive since 1985

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.