Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:15:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773194
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 268
Total: 269

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Dental insurance provider?  (Read 3150 times)

Offline Oceanbeach

Dental insurance provider?
« on: July 25, 2010, 04:59:00 pm »
Over the past 3 years, RWCA Title I funding is no longer available for people with HIV in Sonoma County, there is some limited Title II funds for dental but not oral surgery.  The State of California stopped offering Denti-Cal as well as many other services to the disabled.  Oral surgery was never offered in Sonoma County in the Medi-Cal/Dental-Cal insurance funding as there was never an oral surgeon in this county which would accept that insurance.  Transportation to out of county medical/dental service appointments was never available here either.

Since our HIV clinic closed this year, I have transferred my medical care to USCF in San Francisco with my first appointment in September and plan to move in May.

Can anyone refer me to a dental service insurance provider where they have been happy with the services and have a very low share of cost?  Like many of us, I live on disability and discretionary income is a thing of the past   ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline hotpuppy

Re: Dental insurance provider?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 07:46:27 pm »
Michael,
  I would recommend contacting the various medical schools with a dental program.  They ordinarily will provide treatment for free or at very low cost in return for allowing students to practice on you.  They are overseen by a dentist and this may be a very effective way to get work done at a very low cost. 

In addition, some hospitals have a charitable program that is specifically for those on disability.  You have to dig to find it.  One of my friends has heart issues, is poz, and became disabled after being a trucker for years.  He is on social security disability, but his medicaid hasn't kicked in yet..... he was telling me that one of the local hospitals will treat him at no cost... not sure how....but the price is what matters.
Don't obsess over the wrong things.  Life isn't about your numbers, it isn't about this forum, it isn't about someone's opinion.  It's about getting out there and enjoying it.   I am a person with HIV - not the other way around.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 01:59:47 pm »
Much Thanks Hotpuppy,

One of my chosen functions for the Commission on AIDS was to find oral surgery closer than San Francisco for people living with HIV in Sonoma County that would accept Medi-Cal insurance payment.  There wasn't any... 

There were only the two schools in San Francisco which would accept Medi-Cal.  UCSF was one of them and the state budget of last year eliminated those two resources.  Nothing is free, Medicare is paid in advance by the person while they are still working and State aid such as Medi-Cal takes possession of a persons assets when they die (if there are any).  I think Title II funds can cover general dentistry but not oral surgery.  I will ask at intake in September.  Knowing this, I am looking for recommendations of dental insurance providers by Forum members who are happy with their insurance provider.  I will then call for rates and look for ways to budget those fees.  Aren't you self employed?  If you have dental insurance and feel good about the relationship with your provider, would you recommend that company?   ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 03:29:46 pm »
Dental, Vision, Physical Therapy, Chiropractic and others were all programs funded by the State of California and canceled last year.  Since Sonoma County closed our HIV clinic when they received the last of the RWCA Title I funds, I chose UCSF in San Francisco as my new medical services provider.   This brings to mind a conversation I had with Mr. Allen Nishikawa, former director of the Sonoma County Commission on AIDS... What will happen IF we lose 75% of our funding?  He said many people will be moving their health care to San Francisco.  Having said I would lead the way (5 years ago), I had my first appointment in the Positive 360 Clinic this week.

During my intake appointment with my new ID doc, I asked about services such as Dental, Vision, Physical Therapy and Chiropractic, all programs I needed badly and were not available in Sonoma County any longer.

I was willing to pay for supplemental insurance policy to cover all costs.  New ID Doc said:

The UCSF dental program is not the best and recommended University of the Pacific which provides Free dental care to any persons with HIV, including Oral Surgery.

I have also been given referrals at UCSF for Vision, Physical Therapy and IF the Physical Therapist decides I need a referral for Chiropractic, the service is available.  One of the Clinical Case Managers of the Positive 360 clinic has the 411 on housing in San Francisco for people with disabilities.  Add the on site Pharmacy and free Valet parking,  I have found my next ID Clinic.    ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.