Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:10:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 223
Total: 223

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Is Anyone Greatful? Anyone?  (Read 13010 times)

Offline Morton Salt

Is Anyone Greatful? Anyone?
« on: September 27, 2006, 08:33:06 pm »
As i read post after post after post of negative spins on just about every topic one can think of, i have to ask the question.  Is anyone grateful for the medication that keeps you alive?  Theres plenty of you on here who bash this and bash that and its gettin kinda old.  Think about where you would be  if there was no medication for you to take. Instead of bitchin and complaining about everything, why not chime in and be grateful that you are alive.

~Morton Salt

Offline Teresa

Re: Is Anyone Greatful? Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 08:34:44 pm »
I can tell you that Im grateful for the meds that hubby takes.

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 08:46:43 pm »
As i read post after post after post of negative spins on just about every topic one can think of, i have to ask the question.  Is anyone grateful for the medication that keeps you alive?  Theres plenty of you on here who bash this and bash that and its gettin kinda old.  Think about where you would be  if there was no medication for you to take. Instead of bitchin and complaining about everything, why not chime in and be grateful that you are alive.

~Morton Salt

Morton,

I appreciate part of what you say. The world is an immeasurably better place because of the treatment options that are available to us. Note my use of the word "options".

I have to say, however, your comments have an unfortunate and high-handed tone. You're being dismissive of the horrible experiences that so many of us have as a result of HAART. As much as you have a right to sing and dance and give exalted thanks the Pharma Phairies for the Pills Which Make Life GreatTM, others have a right to bitch and moan and complain about the difficulties they face with their medications.

Whether you like it or not. It's what support forums are about.

Now don't think for a moment that Matty the Damned is saying you should keep these views (no matter how prissy they might be in his opinion) to yourself. You go right ahead and say what you like. Just remember, others are entitled to disagree with you.

Regards,

MtD

/edited for a small typo, godammit/
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 08:52:55 pm by matty.the.damned »

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 09:03:32 pm »
the more pressing question for morton is:

"Are YOU on meds?"

No meds?  First Treatments regime for you... Yah, that's easy.   Walk a mile in our shoes before casting the first stone.... or sit for hours on the toilet due to explosive diarreah whilst simultaneously vomiting in the tub and you just might have a few complaints about meds too.  Sometimes the line between living and just existing gets a bit blurred.

edited to add:  I'm grateful for alot of things, some of which are very good and wouldn't have happened with being positive... I also feel very limited sometimes in my options and choices.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 02:39:20 pm by DingoBoi »

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 09:06:55 pm »
Dear Mort,
I live for-real every day of my life. I live my heart, and I speak my heart. I have many things I am abjectly grateful for.
I  feel certain that many of the folks who share their experinces, do so in the spirit of having a safe place to vent.
There are people from this very Forum, who have given of themselves to the edification of many others.
I am ever more grateful to have met, and fallen in love with, the magnificient people here.
Please feel free to come back to this forum in three years to revisit this subject.

Gosh, I wish I were your age again.
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 09:10:51 pm »
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 08:48:31 pm by Iggy »

Offline Alain

• I am.
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 09:19:12 pm »
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 09:23:33 pm by cowandalehouse »

Offline AIDS2HIV

• www.aids2hiv.com
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 10:07:30 pm »
well, i dont know about gratitude just for the meds, i have found that through acceptance of what i have, it has changed me, recently ive been told im growing resistant to meds, my disease is back in full swing, am i grateful? You betcha!!! I'm grateful im here to experience the bad days just as i am the good days. I was diagnosed in the latest stages of aids,with no hope for survival. I learned whole new levels of things such as gratitude when i came to, 3 months later, and survived. If the diagnosis of being positive doesnt change you for the better, it will change you for the worst....that choice is up to you. I have learned more gratitude and depth since diagnosis, than i have my entire life. No, i dont like taking the handful of pills, nor do i like the fact that now my disease is mutating resistance, but i'm grateful, im here to go through it.

this isnt about my gratitude though.......ask my 5 yr old if she is grateful her dad is alive. I remember the day i came to, after 3 months in the bed. My lil girl, then 3 (almost 4) sitting on the bed, coloring her daddy a picture, her tears soaking the page of the color book, they had told her as well, that i wouldnt survive......yeah i'm grateful, and the way her face glowed that day, and everyday since.....she's grateful too.

The meds are the easy part of this, educating the ignorant is the hardest part, especially when part of the ignorance is our own government. i see the world through a different set of eyes, than i had before, and for the chance to build good memories for my loved ones instead of the ones ive filled my past with...you bet your ass, im grateful......Good Luck & God Bless*
Its the future of Hiv Education, and Resources www.aids2hiv.com      Got Community?

Offline LatinAlexander

• Bogota, Colombia
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 10:45:05 pm »
Well, I agree we are "lucky"...I simply remember all those whose died without a hope before us, and that is a tragedy...But once when you begin to feel the effects of meds on you, men is a different story...Sure they keep us alive, but they take their toll on us...I mean beaing panicked because you have a rash, or somebody tells you you look like a drug-user in your work, is not something nice... And those are the mild effects...

I am simply terrified of all those other seconday effects WWAAYY more heavy than those I experienced myself. Jesus, diarreah non-stop, vomiting, and much more serious issues are simply something like a trade-off..."I'll control hiv, but I'll destroy your (put your own body-part here)"

I hope for the day when they find some way to handle this, without messing up our lives. We are already really screwed up with all the ignorance and panic in the society for anyone of us.

Gratitude...Nice word for our right to be alive...Or at least dying without a freaking stigma on our backs...

Alex
Poz since Jul 19 2006
Initial numbers : CD4-250 VL 3500
First labs after HAART (Dec 04-2006) : CD4-432 VL-<40 (Undetectable)  cd4%=25.11%
Started HAART: Combivir+Efavirenz Aug 26 7:38 pm
Feb 08 2007 - Gradually stopping HAART cause of Myalgia. Protecting Efavirenz. Stopped Efavirenz, ahead with Combivir....
February 17 Combivir stopped.
April 3 -07 : Started ddi+3tc+efavirenz...
Gay and positive (What a lack of Identity...:) )
Looking for my Ben....

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 11:28:40 pm »
Co..  I hope I can find that in me... In time...

Offline Sky

• Myspace
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 11:31:58 pm »
I'm very grateful for my life.  The place I was three years ago when I tested poz is not someplace I ever want to visit ever again.  HIV sucks, but I don't know if I'd have finished school, become a nurse, or be as vibrant as I am at this point in my life if it didn't happen to me.  We've come a long way from the days of 1983, however, we've got a long way left to go.  The highest point on high will be the day we have a world without AIDS.
Poz since 2003.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 11:39:31 pm »
Sky,

There is nothing like thankfullness and greatfullness inside of our hearts. It is powerful. There are others who are in a far off worse situation than we are.

Make the BEST of each Day!

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 11:40:28 pm »
Sky, the "breathing" thing is pretty kewl to...

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 11:49:08 pm »
I'm grateful for the people who invented airbags and circuit breakers.

R
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline Sky

• Myspace
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2006, 11:51:10 pm »
Sky, the "breathing" thing is pretty kewl to...

I have always said that breathing should be a voluntary action...it would eliminate the asshats and idiots from the world  ;)
Poz since 2003.

Offline Sky

• Myspace
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2006, 11:54:42 pm »
Sky,

There is nothing like thankfullness and greatfullness inside of our hearts. It is powerful. There are others who are in a far off worse situation than we are.

Make the BEST of each Day!

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Poz since 2003.

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2006, 05:17:08 am »
Thank you Mort, Great post! I thanks the HIV Gods on a daily basis. Not a day goes by where i don't look up to heaven, and thank God and everyone who has died of Aids. I can see, feel tough and smell and hear. Oh Life is real good. And every day above ground is a good one.
Thank you Mort, for bringing us all down to earth. And what a beautiful place Earth is.
We are all very fortunate.
Positive since 1985

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2006, 06:37:14 am »
Hello Morton,

ABSOLUTELY  I am grateful everyday, that I am able to take the medications, because they KEEP ME ALIVE It is not always easy dealing with some of the side effects,but,I AM ALIVE

I am also very grateful, that I have been able to live 21 years into this virus, and I remember those that didn't make it, and those that put their lives on the line, for the medications that we have available today !! Thanks for posting....

GRATEFUL---------------Ray
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 06:42:27 am by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline IzPoz

• God, grant me the serenity...
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2006, 06:57:24 am »
Morton,

You and I must not be reading the same posts, because everyone that I have encountered here have given me the impression that they are thankful for everything.  Thankful for having a disease that opened their eyes to the fact that Living is a wonderful thing, the fact that their family is very important to them, the fact that having supportive friends is the best thing in the world....

I love my life, no matter how difficult it's been.  In the last couple of years, I have lost two grandparents, my husband, and my father (not to mention a couple of long time family dogs).  Yet, I am thankful that those experiences have made me a stronger person for it.

I enjoy every day that is GIVEN to me, and I enjoy my daughter's company.

Try not to look at the negative all the time.  Look at the positives that are hidden beneath the surface.  Many times you see a 'negative' post, it's only that person's way of expressing their moment of frustration... then they are back to feeling themselves again.  We ALL have to vent every now and then, trust me!! If not, we will become like a balloon with too much air and explode....

Be well, and find peace.
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2006, 08:03:02 am »
Which posts are you referring to?  I have read a lot of posts on gratefulness as well so I am not sure of what you are talking about? But while I am happy to be alive I have a right to bitch about  my disease being pimped!
 I think most  if not all people here are grateful for being alive. I think there is something if not condescending about this at least naive.
Add to what Bailey said, the cost the pharmas charge while running  one of the biggest lobbying groups in America.
Btw should America complain about $3. gas when oil companies make world record profits ? Should people complain becuse they bought a second home  thinking they would cash in on the housing market now only to find they can't pay the 2 mortgages?
Cheers
Johnny- seeing life through a pair of rosy sunglasses and grateful I am alive to bitch!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 08:58:01 am by alisenjafi »
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

Offline MSPspud

• Joined Mar 2005 - Formerly UofMurbs
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2006, 08:56:27 am »
Morton -

I am grateful and appreciative of the continued advances against this disease, everyday!  When I look to my 23 year old athlete friend who has cancer and is on her last legs of life, I realize how f'ucking lucky I am.  Her disease has been around since the dawn of man, yet mine which has only been realized since the 80's and is much more treat-able (and with less side effects).  I totally know where you're coming from and have to agree that we don't put this in perspective enough to realize how much worse it could be.

Good post.

Jason
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 10:59:27 am by MSPspud »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2006, 08:58:57 am »
Hi Mort,

I'm grateful that a place like these forums exist because many of us have no other outlet in which to get our hiv issues off our chests. A lot of people don't have anywhere else to talk about how they're feeling - the good and the bad, but especially the bad. How many of us respond to a well meaning "how are you" with "fine, thanks", even though we're crying inside?

I'm grateful for lots of things and this place is right up there in the top ten.

Ann

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2006, 09:05:09 am »
I may be repeating myself here, but I don't enter the contagious arena of negativity, which can become more toxic than any disease or medication. In fact, I reject going there at all. I figure after nearly two decades, any day I wake up alive is a bonus and although some days are more of a challenge than others, overall I’m grateful for them all. I still have living left to do.

I was diagnosed HIV positive 18 years ago this month, in 1988. I was twenty-eight years old then. The doctor told me to go home and put my affairs in order because I probably only had six months left to live. Well, six months came and went, then 30 and 40 years old came and went. Now I'm 46, and guess what? I'm still here.

In my own experience, I believe I am still here (for now) through my own efforts, medical intervention, and the love and prayers of my loved ones.

I don't make time for downer folk.
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2006, 09:40:37 am »
Yes. I am grateful for the meds and the incredible advance researches have achieved in only 25 years. As Ann says, I am also grateful for this website and the people that are a part of it...and also for the spell check feature!
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2006, 02:27:34 pm »
athlete friend who has cancer and is on her last legs of life, I realize how f'ucking lucky I am.  Her disease has been around since the dawn of man, yet mine which has only been realized since the 80's and is much more treat-able (and with less side effects).

i agree 500 percent. well-said.

also, for Morton, your post does oddly enough help me remember to be grateful. so thank you

Offline David84

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2006, 02:43:43 pm »
I too was told at 24 to get my affairs in order.. so yes, I am grateful to be 46 now and have had a career and fruitful life.. and still am! I was grateful the day AZT was released and didnt have to go to Mexico for drugs that may or may not have worked. And I am grateful for whats coming down the line. Its a road of ups and downs dear Mort.. not everyday can be a bouquet of sunshine for all people, myself included.  Bear in mind that we are all here interacting for a reason.. to learn, grow,supportand love in all the good and not so good.

David

Offline David_CA

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2006, 02:48:05 pm »
I certainly don't think HAART drugs are going to be fun or easy.  In fact, I'm sure there's a good chance they'll have some pretty bad side effects at some point.  I'm really, really grateful that I'll be starting them in 2006 vs. 1989 (or so) with AZT.  Even worse would be being diagnosed back in the early '80's.  I'm thankful that I'll have the chance to live for quite a long time, as opposed to all those who've passed before effective treatments existed for HIV.  I'm also grateful that I have a decent job with really good insurance, good friends that are supportive, my husband, and lots of support here.  I try to keep it all in perspective; it could be better (like when I was HIV-) and it could be much worse (I could be dieing from AIDS).  I think a lot of us have a lot to be thankful for in general. 

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2006, 03:12:25 pm »
Morton,

I believe you are confusing posts that bemoan many of our lots in life as being ungrateful and I just do not see it.  I have many things to be grateful and I hope that shows in my support here.  Yet, I have been poz for 22 years and I started out on AZT in 87 and since then my life has been full of challenges.  So I remain grateful but I retain the right to bitch about my reality if that is what my "reality" at the time dictates.

I know you mean well, but to generalize that so much of this place is negative is both insensitive and untrue.  As Ann said so well, there are many people for whom this forum is family and one of the things that family does for family is to listen to all the negative as well as the positive.

To suggest that members here lack gratitude, simply because of overwhelming challenges they face is an insult to those of us who have crawled over broken glass to retain our health.  You do not know the first thing about me, so please do not insinuate what I should or should not be grateful for in life.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 07:44:37 pm by killfoile »

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2006, 05:43:11 pm »
When I read this question yesterday; I was grateful.  Today, not so much.

Gratefullness is a non-tangeble that depends largely on your station in life, the financial status that this disease might have placed you, your sensitivity/insensitivity to the medications, how many times I barfed this week, the number of times I exploded shit today, the amount and ease of real and dedicated medical care, your perceived acceptance of HIV in your body, how much food you can afford out of your impossibly low subsistance check from Social Security, your actual drive to really give a damn from day to day..................,,, so you see Morton, some of those negative and dismal threads are possibly that persons' only connection with a group of people who actually give a damn about them......            Breath....

Not particularly Grateful......
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline wellington

• Don't sweat the little things.
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2006, 07:42:51 pm »
When people get pissy or vent you actually read it when you know you're going to have an unfortunate response? Not very wise, IMHO. Move along, nothing to see here, and all.

Life's worth living! Not keen on the greatful word though, it tends to imply, for me, a sense of thanks for being bestowed with something. I'm paying for these damnable poisions, so if anything, it should be mutual thanks :)

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2006, 07:56:05 pm »
The purpose of forums is to problem-solve and sound off about crap things. You don't tend to hear from people that much when lifes's going good etc.  The occasional whoop! or insight, but that's it usually. This I think is why lots of the posts are (a) about problems/seeking advice (b) involve justified moaning. Cos that's the purpose of a forum (= bus station). A forum is is not the journey or the destination, it's the edge of the ticket.

I will be 100% grateful for pharma's fruits when it has a globally sustainable & honest business model (retail, not hi-tech R&D which is mainly down to universities, drug co's just does the packaging) and spend money on genuine developments in new/less toxic agents rather than drugs designed to secure market advantage (Atripla).  Yes, I am glad, very glad, combo keeps me alive, but my friends are dying to pay big pharma's shareholders. I have been told to my face, as it happens, by a colleague turned drug rep that I am ungrateful. I told him, come the revolution, he's first against the wall and I will shoot straight.

- matt

Now playing: The Smiths, Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now

(would the Mods kindly add Atripla into the spellchecker)
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2006, 08:58:17 pm »
If this is supposed to be  a feel-good bonhomie thread then I apologize, today I witnessed a miracle. Last month I bought an African Violet. I repotted it and took a leaf off. TodayI see a tiny speck of green, a new leaf is sprouting .
I am sure that the people here are more than grateful for things but the truth is they rather bath in that enjoyment than run to a computer  to tell everyone . It seems rather judgemental to base ones perspective of people here just from the minute time they spend posting.

On a similar token, I don't want cancer to find out that there are wonderful people with cancer, so I find it rather inane to post threads that act as if HIV is some sort of gift. Would one ask in a woman's rape victim forum , this question, or a mother who's son  is coming home from Iraq with his legs blown off, or an innocent man  incarcerated for life? I wish someone would explain the need to romanticize the disease. At the end of the day it is a ball and chain and yes because I have to take meds everyday I am aware I have HIV. Now if that doesn't make me sound resentful... lol
Johnny
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2006, 09:24:37 pm »
I'm very grateful for all the many blessings I have in my life, including the meds that keep me alive.   But I've been dealing with this 20 years and I'm tired.  Just tired, that's all.  I take them every day, without fail, because I know where I would be if I didn't, and I never want to go there again.   But they definitely take a toll, on your mind, body and spirit.

Sorry if I sound a bit 'down' today, I generally try to remain very positive.  But I'm struggling right now; struggling to keep on working, when I can't go to sleep at night; struggling with sky high blood pressure; struggling with dark thoughts that come to me at 3 a.m. when I'm wide awake and cannot fall asleep.

That's life at my place today.   Hopefully, tomorrow will be better.

hugs,
Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2006, 09:37:31 pm »
alan, you've expressed so eloquently and truly the response I couldn't formulate.

((((hugs))))

It's a tough life, no doubt about that.

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2006, 09:41:55 pm »
((((HUGS))))) to you too Bailey!

The CD you gave me still cheers me up, on a daily basis...I have probably about worn it out.   Thanks again....

love you,

Alan  :-*
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2006, 10:57:30 pm »
Actually Matty the Damned is not grateful for the medications. HIV treatments or otherwise. The last time I checked, the pharamaceutical seemed to get paid for what they do. That seems thanks enough to this little white pervert. When was the last time a pharmaceutical company went tits up?

Similarly I feel no sense of gratitude to my army of doctors and nurses. Sure they do a great job, but they too are recompensed for their efforts. Not only that, but I believe that doctors actually take an oath about the job they do. No wonder they're such a bunch of self satisified arseholes.

People who provide services on a voluntary basis are the ones I feel deserve our gratitude.

MtD

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2006, 11:11:20 pm »
Matty,

You are right. That was kind of why I put that post about airbags etc. People get paid for what they do, thats thanks enough. Present company included.

R
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2006, 04:12:15 pm »
Bet this guy is grateful he doesnt have HIV... Im telling you its those buses we have to worry about... not the drugs, least that what all those without "the gift" tell us.

LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline rocket

« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2006, 05:27:44 pm »
Im not on meds yet,but Im thankful that they are available.But this is a support group,so you will hear many complaints and why not?Where else can we bitch and moan without being dissmissed as complainers or worse.Complain away guys,thats what we should do here,vent.Im gratefull for not having any big problems yet but i sympathyse with everyone going thru rough times.

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2006, 05:34:56 pm »
Thanks Rocket...

and thanks everyone for your support through pm's.   I'm doing better this weekend.

I am thankful to be alive, to enjoy each day.   I just pray for the strength and ability to enjoy every day to the fullest.

hugs to all,

Alan

Offline sdcabincrew74

• My Manhunt account
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2006, 06:58:25 pm »
I am grateful for EVERYDAY I am alive thanks to meds and other such things.  Every day is a gift and we only get ONE chance to do it right.
The difference between an overnight and a layover is luck!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.