Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 10, 2024, 02:34:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773100
  • Total Topics: 66327
  • Online Today: 351
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 308
Total: 308

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Safe To Stop Septrin Now?  (Read 4299 times)

Offline Londonguy

Safe To Stop Septrin Now?
« on: June 29, 2006, 07:48:34 am »
So I got my latest labs today, and my last few results now look like this

CD4 200 VL 24,000
CD4 211 VL 27,000
CD4 188 VL 37,000
CD4 220 VL 21,000

So essentially I'm staying pretty stable.  They still haven't put me on meds yet but I guess it's a matter of time.  Thing is, when I heard my CD4 was over 200, my first thought was that I could stop taking the Septrin, but they still want me to take it.  I really don't want to because it upsets my stomach.  I told them it was causing me quite acute pain, but they said they didn't think it was related to the Septrin because I had already taken it for a few weeks with no real problem apart from feeling a bit sick and a decreased appetite.  Hmmm.

But I hear a lot of people on here talking about stopping the Septrin when they get over 200 CD4.  Would I be silly if I stopped taking it against their advice?

Offline Cliff

Re: Safe To Stop Septrin Now?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 08:07:57 am »
Have you asked why they have decided against giving you meds?  Are you recently infected, and they expect your tcells to rise?  If not, I would seriously consider going on treatment as your tcells are roughly in the 200 range where treatment is advised.

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 08:14:58 am »
Dear Londonguy:

This is definitely a conversation you should be having with your GP.  As a rule of thumb, PCP prophylaxis can be stopped if the CD4+ cell count remains above 200 for three to six months while on antiretroviral therapy.  However, your situation raises a few important considerations:

1) Your CD4+ cell count has been on the border of 200 for the last four blood tests.  In fact, your second-to-last test yielded a CD4+ cell count of 188.

2) You're not on antiretroviral medication.  When the viral load is detectable (read: untreated) -- even "low" detectable like yours -- it's much harder to predict what your CD4+ cell count will do in the months to come.  

Like I said, it's best that you talk to your GP about this.  Your situation doesn't really allow for a clear-cut answer -- and poses a few important concerns -- it really would be foolish to stop against your GP's advice. 

Tim Horn
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 08:18:08 am by Tim Horn »

Offline Londonguy

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 08:26:12 am »
Have you asked why they have decided against giving you meds?  Are you recently infected, and they expect your tcells to rise?  If not, I would seriously consider going on treatment as your tcells are roughly in the 200 range where treatment is advised.

Well it's because they plummeted from around 420 to 200 when I had secondary stage syphilis.  They kept waiting and waiting to see it recover but it doesn't seem like it's going to, at least not to the point where I was at prior to the syphilis.  But they still seem reluctant to start me on treatment, they certainly haven't seemed concerned about my results at all.  It's been 3 months since I finished the treatment for syphilis, which is now down from 1:128 to 1:16.

I guess I should have made it clearer that those results are over a four month period, from February, when I was diagnosed with syphilis, to last week, so it isn't like I've been like this for a year or something.  I dunno what to think really, they don't seem to be in any great rush to do anything with me. I suppose I should still keep taking the Septrin considering my VL  :(

Offline Cliff

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 08:48:27 am »
oh ok.  I erroneously thought that were your results for each 3-month check up.  Though you should still have a talk with your doctor regarding how long they think you should keep on this wait and see approach path.  It seems reasonable, but I personally wouldn't want to go too long with tcells in that range (especially given you are also fighting Syphilis)...but it's really your call and whether or not you are ready for treatment.  No rush.

Good luck and stay on the Septrin till your doctors say otherwise!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.