Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:22:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772954
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 454
Total: 456

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: "Am I Infected" or just a troll?  (Read 5010 times)

Offline Billy B

"Am I Infected" or just a troll?
« on: June 06, 2010, 12:07:31 am »
Hello forum members,
What do you think about someone posting in the "Am I Infected " thread and then driving the moderaters crazy with their trolling?
Billy
VL 4420 CD4 340 CD4% 24   3/15/10 Started I&T
VL  UD   CD4 340 CD4% 26.5 05/13/10
VL  UD   CD4 360 CD4% 27.1 08/3/10
VL  UD   CD4 310 CD4% 28.4 11/22/10
VL  UD   CD4 420 CD4% 27.9 02/11/11
VL  UD   CD4 370 CD4% 26.4 06/08/11
VL  UD   CD4 360 CD4% 27.7 09/23/11
VL  UD   CD4 370 CD4% 28.3 01/20/12
VL  UD   CD4 430 CD4% 28.8 05/11/12
VL  UD   CD4 370 CD4% 28.1 09/07/12
VL  UD   CD4 390 CD4% 32.3 03/14/13
VL  UD   CD4 450 CD4% 29.8 09/10/13
VL  UD   CD4 430 CD4% 31.0 04/29/14
VL  UD   CD4 520 CD4% 34.8 11/05/15
VL  UD   CD4 440 CD4% 33.5 03/10/15
VL  UD   CD4 450 CD4% 30.5 08/23/16
VL  UD   CD4 510 CD4% 34.0 07/21/20  (Biktarvy)

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
Re: "Am I Infected" or just a troll?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 01:15:12 am »
Hello forum members,
What do you think about someone posting in the "Am I Infected " thread and then driving the moderaters crazy with their trolling?
Billy

That's the nature of the forum.  These people have anxiety over possible infection scenarios and then the mods tell them yes/no on whether or not those anxieties are reasonable.  Some of them are worse than others and have never ending questions.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 03:14:53 am »
The people you see asking questions in AMI aren't trolls, they're just the most extreme example of the people who come here to learn about HIV transmission.

Most of the people who visit AM with a concern about possible infection either never register an account or never post as their questions are answered by reading the lessons and/or reading the answers we give to other folks.

Which is why we go to such lengths to answer even the dumbest or most obvious questions. We're really not doing it for the wretch who started the thread, he or she is usually beyond salvation. We're doing it for the hundreds or even thousands of lurkers who watch and and thereby learn.

It's all about what we call "teachable moments". :)

It follows, therefore, that those who do end up posting questions in AMI are the seriously ignorant, cyberchondriacs, general misfits and a significant minority who simply don't have the English skills to comprehend the lessons or previous posts as written.

At this point I should say that I refer only to the English AMI forum, not the Spanish equivalent. As I do not habla the espnanol I have no knowledge of the sorts of people who are posting in there. Perhaps Andy or one of the other Spanish speaking experts (Rev. Moon?) can offer more information on that.

AMI also serves to protect the Poz only from being swamped by creepy HIV phobics. In the days prior to Ann's Brutal Regime - Worried Wells often posted in Living With and other places harrassing positive members with their bullshit. Often they would PM people asking the most inappropriate and intrusive questions.

History has taught us that we need AMI to sequester such ne'er do wells in a way that allows the real purpose of AM to be fulfilled, that is a support ressource for those infected with and affected by HIV.

As Ann says "It just is, ok?".  ;)

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 08:18:49 am »

In the days prior to Ann's Brutal Regime....

Excuse me, but fuck you. Just hang on a cotton-pickin' minute. Now I have coffee all over my laptop and dripping out of my nose. Bollocks!

In addition to what that pain in the ass Matty said about the nature of the trolls posters in AMI, quite a few of them, at any given time, are married men who are terrified that they'll be infected and their infidelities exposed. They always claim they don't want to infect their wife, but in truth they just don't want to pay alimony. It just is, ok? :)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 08:23:12 am »
I think you all show amazing patience and even-handedness.  Bravo

The one little technical thing I would selfishly enjoy is a way not to see the Am I Infected? posts when i click "show unread". 

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 08:24:01 am »
Excuse me, but fuck you. Just hang on a cotton-pickin' minute. Now I have coffee all over my laptop and dripping out of my nose. Bollocks!

In addition to what that pain in the ass Matty said about the nature of the trolls posters in AMI, quite a few of them, at any given time, are married men who are terrified that they'll be infected and their infidelities exposed. They always claim they don't want to infect their wife, but in truth they just don't want to pay alimony. It just is, ok? :)

;D

Face it, if AMI was a country you, Andy, JK, Roddles and I would all be awaiting trial in the Hague.

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 08:27:27 am »
With a good lawyer, I'd welcome another visit to Holland. Just saying...
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 08:28:43 am »

The one little technical thing I would selfishly enjoy is a way not to see the Am I Infected? posts when i click "show unread".  

Just go to the main AMI index page and click on the mark-as-read button. When you go back to the show unread page, the other forums' posts will still show, but AMI will be missing. I do that to the Spanish forums.

;D

Face it, if AMI was a country you, Andy, JK, Roddles and I would all be awaiting trial in the Hague.

MtD

Hell, we would have been hung, drawn and quartered long ago.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 08:30:33 am »

With a good lawyer, I'd welcome another visit to Holland. Just saying...

Same here, only I'd request the trial be moved to Amsterdam. ;D

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 08:32:09 am »
I should add that there's no doubt we have the occasional smartass troll who thinks it's funny to ask dumb fucking questions in AMI.

Even such a deadshit presents us with an opportunity to refute common misconceptions and urban myths about HIV and its modes of transmission for the legions of lurkers.

Hello teachable moment!

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 08:50:10 am »
One way to slow the epidemic is for peeps to become better informed about what is risky and what isn't.

Sure there is a lot of unnnecessary drama and angst demonstrated by some in AM I forum, but there is also the opportunity to put out simple and straightforward information. My goal there is to hopefully clarify the basics about transmission, encourage safer sex and prevent some infections from happening.

Meanwhile, like Ann I would welcome another visit to Amsterdam if the trial could be moved there. Should be possible. We could demand a change of venue because I don't think we could get a fair trial in The Hague.
Andy Velez

Offline Billy B

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 11:12:46 am »
That's the nature of the forum.  These people have anxiety over possible infection scenarios and then the mods tell them yes/no on whether or not those anxieties are reasonable.  Some of them are worse than others and have never ending questions.

The posts yesterday from Scaredbill were just too much to believe. I am sure that some are from "real" people with real questions, but most of them just seem like BS questions. I guess if the poster told ALL the circumstances in the beginning instead of adding more details with every reply then I could believe the questions were factual.
Billy
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 11:49:50 am by Billy B »
VL 4420 CD4 340 CD4% 24   3/15/10 Started I&T
VL  UD   CD4 340 CD4% 26.5 05/13/10
VL  UD   CD4 360 CD4% 27.1 08/3/10
VL  UD   CD4 310 CD4% 28.4 11/22/10
VL  UD   CD4 420 CD4% 27.9 02/11/11
VL  UD   CD4 370 CD4% 26.4 06/08/11
VL  UD   CD4 360 CD4% 27.7 09/23/11
VL  UD   CD4 370 CD4% 28.3 01/20/12
VL  UD   CD4 430 CD4% 28.8 05/11/12
VL  UD   CD4 370 CD4% 28.1 09/07/12
VL  UD   CD4 390 CD4% 32.3 03/14/13
VL  UD   CD4 450 CD4% 29.8 09/10/13
VL  UD   CD4 430 CD4% 31.0 04/29/14
VL  UD   CD4 520 CD4% 34.8 11/05/15
VL  UD   CD4 440 CD4% 33.5 03/10/15
VL  UD   CD4 450 CD4% 30.5 08/23/16
VL  UD   CD4 510 CD4% 34.0 07/21/20  (Biktarvy)

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 11:28:01 am »
The posts yesterday from Scaredbill were just too much to believe.

It's especially so when you take into account he's a dentist and all...  Then again, after seeing how some of my dentists acted I would say it must be some sort of job requirement.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2010, 12:13:20 pm »
Just go to the main AMI index page and click on the mark-as-read button.
Thanks Ann
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.