Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:12:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 223
Total: 224

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Point of Interest: Student Loan Interest Rates Double Starting Today  (Read 4776 times)

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
Apparently the rate rise applies to new loans.  I still have a bit more of my student loan to pay off and would choke if the rate doubled.

Link:

http://tbo.com/news/breaking-news/student-loan-interest-rates-to-double-today-20130701/
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 10:47:27 am by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
Re: Point of Interest: Student Loan Interest Rates Double Starting Today
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 11:04:06 am »
The cost of education has become very expensive in the US. I remember in 1984 when I attended NC State University for engineering full-time in-state tuition was $726 per year. It is now $7787 per year, which is cheap compared to some other schools.

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 05:55:34 pm »
Just looked it up and I'm shocked

I graduated in 1989 at the Univ. of San Francisco and tuition was $8.500 p/year.
I see now that it has quadrupled to $35.000.....unbelievable....how can anyone afford that ????

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 06:05:17 pm »
Just looked it up and I'm shocked

I graduated in 1989 at the Univ. of San Francisco and tuition was $8.500 p/year.
I see now that it has quadrupled to $35.000.....unbelievable....how can anyone afford that ????

They can't, they have to take out loans and live in serfdom.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 06:10:22 pm »
and healthcare costs for the staff as well as ridiculous salaries for coaches of college sports teams are out of control.
it's an economic downhill spiral.
...just pass it along to the students. ::)
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 06:14:34 pm »
According to the Association of American Colleges:

The median education debt for indebted medical school graduates in 2012 was $170,000, and 86 percent of graduates report having education debt.

Debt levels for indebted medical school graduates have been rising faster than inflation over the last 20 years. On average, the median amount of education debt for graduates has increased 6.3 percent per year4 since 1992, compared with 2.5 percent for the Consumer Price Index (CPI). For the class of 1992, the median education debt was $50,000, which more than tripled to $170,000 for the class of 2012

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 07:57:47 pm »
I think that doubling the interest on this debt is a bit, well....  nuts.  Especially given that, aside for mortgages, other loan rates aren't going up??

Although -- there are ways to keep the cost lower and if students (and parents) would do these things, tuitions would have to stabilize.  For instance -- two years at a Community College -- or go to a cheaper (relatively, I know) in-state school for a couple years, then transfer to the "big name" school.  You get the big name diploma at a much lower cost.  I know students come out in debt, but I see news stories where they seemed shocked at how much they owe.  Did they not know what they were signing all those years??
People seem to desire these high priced school degrees -- no one ever asked me where I went to school -- undergrad or grad.  Yes, it was on my resume. Additionally, I've hired a fair number of people over the years, and never did the school they graduated from come into play.  It was there interviews, testing, etc.  So, there are cheaper ways -- but even those have skyrocketed in cost, though they are still cheaper.

Mike

Offline wolfter

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 08:53:13 pm »
I wasn't fortunate to have wealthy parents. 
They assured us our first vehicles and entry into community colleges.  We ALL went on with our education pursuits. 

I know what my individual debt was and it's unfortunate that advanced education isn't readily available to everyonel

for me, in spite of AIDS..
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 08:55:29 pm by wolfter »
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Jody

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 09:21:43 pm »
Some in America's conservative communities are actually happy that higher education institutions are having a rough go of it.  They consider many universities, particularly liberal arts colleges to be breeding grounds for radical thinkers who threaten the basic status quo and challenge major media news reporting, corporations, etc. 

Several factors have contributed to the decline in colleges and the fact that the numbers of them are expected to decline in the coming decades.  One is of course the finances that could undoubtedly be more efficiently utilized.  Another is online learning such as Coursera.  Students are getting degrees online and in the words of one conservative writer: "Knowledge has been liberated from the ivy-tower oligopoly".

At one time a city college education in New York was free and New York's unionized school teachers were not demonized for all of societies ills.  Men and women got educated, earned degrees and brought up their own standard of livings and their communities as well.  A college degree in America was respected.

Now education, including liberal arts educations which broaden the horizons of thinking people, are scorned upon by many who have themselves benefited from college.  Heaven forbid people should think for themselves and question authority or anything else really.  They should only be able to build robots and the like.  This proves the old adage that the most dangerous folks are not just those who are mean, but those who are smart and mean.  Younger folks who know the importance of higher learning will soon enough have to Occupy Education in the USA!

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline mitch777

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 09:25:48 pm »
Some in America's conservative communities are actually happy that higher education institutions are having a rough go of it.  They consider many universities, particularly liberal arts colleges to be breeding grounds for radical thinkers who threaten the basic status quo and challenge major media news reporting, corporations, etc. 

Several factors have contributed to the decline in colleges and the fact that the numbers of them are expected to decline in the coming decades.  One is of course the finances that could undoubtedly be more efficiently utilized.  Another is online learning such as Coursera.  Students are getting degrees online and in the words of one conservative writer: "Knowledge has been liberated from the ivy-tower oligopoly".

At one time a city college education in New York was free and New York's unionized school teachers were not demonized for all of societies ills.  Men and women got educated, earned degrees and brought up their own standard of livings and their communities as well.  A college degree in America was respected.

Now education, including liberal arts educations which broaden the horizons of thinking people, are scorned upon by many who have themselves benefited from college.  Heaven forbid people should think for themselves and question authority or anything else really.  They should only be able to build robots and the like.  This proves the old adage that the most dangerous folks are not just those who are mean, but those who are smart and mean.  Younger folks who know the importance of higher learning will soon enough have to Occupy Education in the USA!

Jody
Applause! :)
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 06:52:36 am »
There is always income based repayment for those of us who will graduate in debt, without the promise of a higher paying job.  There's also a new program, pay as you go, which should help those who incur loans from 2007 and above. 

There are many different types of repayment options today, which should aid in assuring people pay back student loans instead of defaulting. 

ibrinfo.org.  I believe that's the right link for income based repayment.  If not, one can always "google" it.

Sorry, the link didn't take.  Type it into the browser.  I believe it also has info for pay as you go, not sure.    http://ibrinfo.org/
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 07:13:46 am by BT65 »
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 09:11:45 am »
There is always income based repayment for those of us who will graduate in debt, without the promise of a higher paying job.  There's also a new program, pay as you go, which should help those who incur loans from 2007 and above. 

There are many different types of repayment options today, which should aid in assuring people pay back student loans instead of defaulting. 

ibrinfo.org.  I believe that's the right link for income based repayment.  If not, one can always "google" it.

Sorry, the link didn't take.  Type it into the browser.  I believe it also has info for pay as you go, not sure.    http://ibrinfo.org/

You can't truly default on a student loan, that debt will follow you through bankruptcy and it can be garnished from your wages.  The government will always get its money.

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 11:53:00 am »
You can't truly default on a student loan, that debt will follow you through bankruptcy and it can be garnished from your wages.  The government will always get its money.

Uncle SAM and Aunt IRS will not be denied.   ;)
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline idee

• Hi...
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 04:49:11 pm »
I am glad that my education is covered by financial aid for now. I go to a community college near my home.
I was going to attend the university near by, but the cost was way too high. I want to retire some time in my life and actually afford a new car at some point as well.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 08:23:24 pm »

But people do default.  A person can not work and run out of deferments, and bam. 

I do know, as hecky says, the debt can be garnished, not just from wages, but also from social security income.  Not to mention the loan servicer taking a person's tax return. 

If a person would research the payment options, there really are more than there used to be in the past. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline le_liseur

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 02:47:17 pm »
We had a very long student strike last year in Quebec, because the then government wanted to rise post-secondary studies' fees. It lasted about 7 months, with some of the mobilizations in Montreal gathering hundreds of thousands people. It became a very heavy situation, touching civil rights and other laws.

Student fees are around 2,500$ CAN (2,360US) a year, which make them the lowest in Canada. The rise of the fees was going to be close to 3,800$ CAN (3,600US) in 2017-2018. It ended being rejected, because there were elections in september 2012, and the new government didn't want to follow up with these fees, though they also went on to rise the fees but differently.

You might feel like these fees are very low for university studies, but then again, there were a lot of mobilizations over the last decades to try to keep them the lowest possible. Education is considered, by many people here, as a right, and should remain accessible and inclusive to everyone. Some also believe it should be free, even for colleges and universities, because paying for students fees is like a social investment : let someone study medicine without thinking about paying back his credits and tuitions, and they'll be able to study better and become better doctor. Or teacher. Or lawyer. Or so on... :)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.