Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:45:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 513
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 503
Total: 506

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Key to HIV eradication may lie in Memory T cells  (Read 4129 times)

Offline loneranger

Key to HIV eradication may lie in Memory T cells
« on: June 24, 2009, 08:06:19 pm »
Hi guys

Just came across this interesting article. Any comments? I'm a little concerned that the presumption is that if you clear the t cell reservoir, you can become disease free. Aren't there at least two reservoirs??

http://www.thebody.com/content/art52342.html?ic=700100

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
Re: Key to HIV eradication may lie in Memory T cells
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 11:38:04 pm »
This is the same research that is being covered in the recent thread entitled "New Weapon—Combined Antiviral and Targeted Chemotherapy," although this particular article from The Body has some new and good information LINK TO OTHER THREAD: http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=27666.0

In that thread I made the same observation: why are these scientists not even mentioning the other reservoir sites that we know about? Based on research I've done, the following are other cells that are considered to be HIV reservoirs, apart from long-lived, i.e. memory T cells (and there may be others):

1) macrophages/monocytes
2) follicular dendritic cells
3) astrocytes and, potentially, neural progenitor cells

Apparently these researchers seem to be saying that potential replication of HIV can be stopped by targeting the Tcell reservoirs alone. It is interesting and compelling research and I can see how it can possibly work (is it possible that HIV in these other reservoirs may not be able to replicate since it needs Tcells for that?).

Still, it would be nice if they made mention of these other reservoirs in their press release. I assume the fact that they are completely ignoring the existence of other reservoirs can't possibly mean that they are not aware of them, but given the seemingly haphazard state of HIV research, you never know!

I hope they fast-track this research.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 02:19:53 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 02:48:02 pm »
More reservoirs:

HIV primarily infects cells with CD4 cell-surface receptor molecules, using them to gain entry. Many cell types share common epitopes with this protein, though CD4 lymphocytes play a crucial role. In macrophages and in some other cells lacking CD4 receptors, such as fibroblasts, an Fc receptor site or complement receptor site may be used instead for entry of HIV. Cells of the mononuclear phagocyte system, principally blood monocytes and tissue macrophages, T lymphocytes, B lymphocytes, natural killer (NK) lymphocytes, dendritic cells (Langerhans cells of epithelia and follicular dendritic cells in lymph nodes), hematopoietic stem cells, endothelial cells, microglial cells in brain, and gastrointestinal epithelial cells are the primary targets of HIV infection.

These scientists are proposing they can eradicate HIV by only attacking the two kinds of memory Tcell reservoirs, I hope they're right!

LINK:

http://library.med.utah.edu/WebPath/TUTORIAL/AIDS/HIV.html
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 02:55:12 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline loneranger

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 06:47:47 pm »
Let's hope indeed - if that is the case we could be seeing hiv eradication sooner than we think!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.