Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:39:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 228
Total: 232

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Poll

Do You Attend?

Every Week
Often, but not this week, I'm hungover
Christmas and Easter
Funerals Only
Never

Author Topic: It's Sunday Morning - Are you off to church?  (Read 121405 times)

Offline fondeveau

It's Sunday Morning - Are you off to church?
« on: February 11, 2007, 07:53:36 am »
ONA is "shorthand" for Open and Affirming, the designation for congregations, campus ministries, and other bodies in the United Church of Christ which make public statements of welcome into their full life and ministry to persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities.

Each week 100 million Americans attend religious services whether Christian, Jewish, Moslem, Buddhist, Hindu, etc.  How about you?

http://www.ucccoalition.org/

http://www.ucc.org/lgbt/

Offline Dachshund

Re: It's Sunday Morning - Are you off to church?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 08:02:04 am »
Thank God I'm an atheist. 8)

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 08:05:20 am »
Or possibly a Unitarian Universalist...in which case, we could thank the deity of your choosing or not.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 08:22:36 am »
I was just being flip...actually, I'm a "born again atheist." It does me no good to discuss a God I don't believe exists...kinda like believing bald is a hair color.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 08:36:51 am »
If 100 million are off to church today, then I'm one of the 200 million that isn't.

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 08:44:15 am »
Gee whiz guys - the response is nice, but that's two nevers without a vote on the poll!

Offline Cliff

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 10:04:13 am »
oops.  voted.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 10:13:54 am »
I voted just didn't post.  ;)

Dan J.

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 10:39:51 am »
I never go to church. All those fake people make me sick.

Dan J.

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 11:03:13 am »
As a teen I was coerced by my Aunt Emma (whose home I'd spent the night in) to attend a service at one of the ritzier Episcopalian churches in the city.

I was the first person sitting in the front left pew.  After the sermon the priest walked up to me, took my hands, and said "May god be with you."  I had no idea what to respond so I said "Thanks."  If I'd been on my toes I would have asked "What god?" but that probably would have ticked off my aunt.

That was my first and only attendance at a regular church service.  I've unfortunately been to too many funerals in churches and synagogues since that time but luckily no one has thrown me a trick question again.

Boo
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 11:17:48 am »
God is mans imaginary friend!
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2007, 11:19:48 am »
I really began to doubt supernatural explanations of things when i was 12 or 13.  Oddly, although I had my share of getting called faggot and getting hit in school, most of my torture came in Saturday church school. There was a real group of creeps there that used to pummel me regularly.  I guess the message of Christ wasn't getting through.  I do sometimes end up in a funeral mass - but it has to be a really close relative - otherwise I go to the wake. I really like Roman Catholic rituals and the vast wealth of art and architecture it has produced (Notre Dame de Paris, the Vatican).  I voted.  Pax tecum.

Offline mjmel

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007, 11:56:21 am »
Voted; was tallied. Started attending Episcopalian services about a year ago. I left the Roman Catholic church in my late teens because of the hypocrisy and fake people. I also have a dislike for fake, hypocritical people. However, they exist in just about every social strata and most organizations out there. Well, that's been my assessment.
For the most part I am enjoying church-going again. I believe in a GOD............I also believe in a whole bunch of other entities the aren't promoted or perpetuated by western Christian religions. Yeah, I believe I have the right to question, inquire, expand....whatever it takes to grow as a loving human being. The jury is still out whether I will accept/fit in organized religious rites again. Human mortality: a cosmic joke or not, it's mine to enjoy and explore for a time.  :o

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2007, 04:27:17 pm »
LMAO....If I stepped foot in a church, it would prolly crumble. I am an eclectic solitary Pagan, how do you like that for a title? I never did appreciate having to go to Sunday School as a child and would get pissed listening to folks gossip about Suzie Q when they are suppose to be listening to the sermon. Also how come ministers seem to be the biggest whores of the church? Just wondering...
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2007, 04:41:19 pm »
4 Lutheran pasters in the family - what do you think?  ;D

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2007, 04:45:46 pm »
"To you, I'm an atheist... to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition."

-Woody Allen

I have no use for religions, spirituality, or hocus-pocus of any sort.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 05:19:35 pm by aupointillimite »
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Dan J.

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2007, 04:47:30 pm »
The Bedsprings Babtist Church is just down the road from my  house. The pastor likes to "do it" with the wives of his "flock".

I always wanted to sneak in a pee in the Babtismal water tub. LOL

Dan J.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2007, 04:48:50 pm »
When I was in high school... outside this Baptist church was a marquee on which they wrote, "God created man for his pleasure.  Are you pleasing God?"

I would drive my friends out of the way going to school so they could read it.

And laugh.

Offline swede_dish

• I feel like an angel baby wrapped in a candy cloud
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2007, 05:05:15 pm »
I'm Jewish.
"I married a German. Every night I dress up as Poland and he invades me. "
-Bette Midler

Offline Boo Radley

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2007, 05:10:17 pm »
My most spiritual examination as a kid was studying the LP cover of the Broadway version of My Fair Lady (this was in the early 60s...).  There was a Herschfeld caricature of G.B. Shaw up in the clouds using puppet strings to control Rex Harrison who was controlling Julie Andrews.

My Fair Lady is one of the few musicals I ever liked so I would listen to the album and examine the cover.  I probably started listening to it before learning to read.

Boo

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline swede_dish

• My blog
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2007, 05:12:34 pm »
BOO-
I HAVE THAT!!! It's one of my favourites!
-Bette Midler

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2007, 05:12:56 pm »
Are you gay? :P

Offline Nadine

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2007, 05:15:45 pm »
Hmmm...last time I was in a church was March of last year when Rodney was in the hospital, just stopped in to say a prayer.   :)

I am not religious, but I do believe in my own way and that's good enough for me.

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2007, 05:17:37 pm »
" I'm a scientist... we don't believe in anything."   (Paul from "the Lost Skeleton of Cadavra", and if you haven't seen it you really should turn in your queer card.)

Seriously, I don't go to church, but I am a certified agnostic.  I just can't find it within myself to be certain about something that you can't be sure of.... and I find people who are convinced they are right on this issue to be downright dangerous... and that's on both sides of the debate.  OK next topic.
Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline swede_dish

• My blog
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2007, 05:19:17 pm »
Hmmm...last time I was in a church was March of last year when Rodney was in the hospital, just stopped in to say a prayer.   :)

I am not religious, but I do believe in my own way and that's good enough for me.

Attagirl Nadine!

Are you gay? :P
I am a gay man trapped in a woman's body.
-Bette Midler

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2007, 05:21:45 pm »
Attagirl Nadine!
I am a gay man trapped in a woman's body.

We all are dear, we all are...

Offline swede_dish

• My blog
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2007, 05:24:04 pm »
darn toot'n
-Bette Midler

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2007, 05:30:51 pm »

We all are dear, we all are...

I always tell people I'm something of a confused lesbian going through a bit of a
"phase" stuck in a man's body.

Offline Boo Radley

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2007, 05:42:27 pm »
...  I am a certified agnostic.  I just can't find it within myself to be certain about something that you can't be sure of.... and I find people who are convinced they are right on this issue to be downright dangerous... and that's on both sides of the debate.  OK next topic.

That is a rather broad brush labeling certified theists and atheists as "dangerous," dontcha think?  I've been an atheist since adolescence but what someone else believes is her/his own business.  As long as you don't try to convert me I will reciprocate fully. 

As an atheist I have some issues of concern about U.S. society and how many major religions (or minor ones, for that matter) attempt to alter U.S. law based on religious doctrines inimical to major segments of society, like GLBTs, Muslims, Jews, Zoroastrians, etc.   The U.S.A. was not founded as a Christian government even though most Americans were (are) Christians.   Several major religions have long been a bane to GLBTs and still perpetuate the idea homosexuals/XXXXsexuals are mentally ill as well as pedophiles.  As a gay atheist I am concerned about continued influence by these forces.  As an agnostic you should be able to understand atheists prefer a more secular government, not less.

Sorry to hijack the thread but with a mind and memory span like mine it's miraculous I can finish a

Boo

Offline Nadine

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2007, 05:47:55 pm »
Oh yeah...I forgot, during Lent me & Hubby hit up the Catholic churches on Fridays for their fish dinners...does that count?  :D

Offline dtwpuck

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2007, 05:50:20 pm »
That is a rather broad brush labeling certified theists and atheists as "dangerous," dontcha think?  I've been an atheist since adolescence but what someone else believes is her/his own business.  As long as you don't try to convert me I will reciprocate fully. 

Boo

Sorry, Boo, but your emotional reaction basically proves my point.   You think there is no God.  Fine.  Prove it.
Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2007, 05:51:49 pm »
" I'm a scientist... we don't believe in anything."   (Paul from "the Lost Skeleton of Cadavra", and if you haven't seen it you really should turn in your queer card.)

Seriously, I don't go to church, but I am a certified agnostic.  I just can't find it within myself to be certain about something that you can't be sure of.... and I find people who are convinced they are right on this issue to be downright dangerous... and that's on both sides of the debate.  OK next topic.

"You should never, ever doubt what no one is sure about."

Why does certainty on this issue equal danger but certainty in other issues not?  I've heard quite a number of my agnostic friends say this... and I'm not exactly sure why a feeling of certainty in religious matters is dangerous. 

As an athEIst, I'm not interested at all in making others the same... it's not a proselytizing creed.

Offline Boo Radley

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2007, 06:00:31 pm »
Sorry, Boo, but your emotional reaction basically proves my point.   You think there is no God.  Fine.  Prove it.

Emotional reaction by asking that all people's beliefs be considered, not just yours?

If you can't or don't want to civilly argue that's fine but please don't dismiss someone's reaction as "emotional" and imply your beliefs are right and mine are wrong.  That sort of thinking is dangerous.

I have no more onus to prove there is no god any more than a theist has to prove there is.  It's based on belief. 

You're the most prejudiced agnostic I've ever encountered.

Boo

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2007, 06:17:50 pm »
I believe in the separation of Church and State.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2007, 06:26:25 pm »
I believe in the separation of Church and State.

Me too.

I've always thought that if religious types want their church to have a say in the workings of the government, it's only fair for the government to have a say in the workings of their church.

For some reason, they're not too keen on that.

Offline fearless

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2007, 06:28:59 pm »
I said, NEVER, but I will begrudginly attend a church service for funerals.

If people want to believe in something they can't prove, then so be it. But, I really can't understand why people fall for it.

Anyways, I've already been blessed or condemned. Never quite sure, which it is, but every year at Orthodox Easter, the Greek orthodox Church on the corner of my street, conducts the 'stations of the cross' down my street and round the block back to the church.

First year I moved in, I'd been out all night partying, and sleeping the next day. This little ritual was unbeknownst to me at the time, and I remember waking to the smell of incense and loud Greek or Latin gibberish. I got out of bed, dressed only in my pj shorts, and went to the balcony to see what all the fuss was about. Low and behold, there was the priest in all his garb, holding a shiny gold and silver cross, with about 400 odd worshipers, looking up at me and praying. As I was newly diagnosed at the time, I thought, WOW, word sure does get out quickly in this neighbourhood.  ;D
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline fearless

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2007, 06:31:58 pm »
I saw a doco on Madalyn Murray O'Hare jsut last week.

She was one hell of a woman. (pardon the pun)

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2007, 06:37:23 pm »
People will then often say, ' But surely it's better to remain an Agnostic just in case? ' This, to me, suggests such a level of silliness  and muddle that I usually edge out of the conversation rather than get sucked into it. ( If it turns out that I've been wrong all along, and there is in fact a God, and if it further turned out that this kind of legalistic, cross-your-fingers-behind-your-back, Clintonian hair-splitting impressed him, then I think I would chose not to worship him anyway.)

~Douglas Adams

"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof."

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2007, 06:40:26 pm »
And where did Madalyn Murray O'Hare  end up? In a shollow grave I do believe. I know her beliefs didn't have anything to do with her death, just the greed. Do you think she uttered OH GOD HELP ME?

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2007, 06:41:28 pm »
I love topics like this.   It's like a marker for retards who beLIEve in the great lie.  Helps me avoid the idiots. 

Thanks for posting.

kthanxbye

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2007, 06:48:30 pm »
As everyone has seen in the past couple of months there are a few things that should be prohibited from the forums.

Politics and Religion both are like mixing oil and water, eventually they will seperate.

Offline fearless

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2007, 07:08:50 pm »
You are right Rapido.

I had never heard of her before. I'd always assumed that because of the separation of State and Church in the US, that pray in government schools etc would always have been on the outer.
I had no idea of her existence, and her fight to separate the two, and that it was all so recent.

Australians are a much more secular/snon-believing lot compared to the US. I just checked our national weekly church attendance figures. It is estimated at 1.5 million out of 20 million population. That is, a weekly church attendance rate of about 7.5% in Aus, compared to 33% in the US (if the 100 million figure is correct)

Offline dtwpuck

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2007, 07:20:08 pm »
[quote author=Boo Radley link=topic=8828.msg107667#

If you can't or don't want to civilly argue that's fine but please don't dismiss someone's reaction as "emotional" and imply your beliefs are right and mine are wrong.  That sort of thinking is dangerous.

I have no more onus to prove there is no god any more than a theist has to prove there is.  It's based on belief. 

You're the most prejudiced agnostic I've ever encountered.

Boo
[/quote]

You're right that it's based on belief, which makes it oh so easy to believe with absolute certainty that you are correct.  It's well known what happens to people who are completely certain in their own righteousness... they start off spouting things like "you're the most prejudiced ... blah blah blah... and end up with a gun in their hand just to make their point.  Sorry, boo, but people who feel no need to examine their beliefs scare me. 

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2007, 07:33:15 pm »
Boo, don't fall for the flamebate.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2007, 07:33:55 pm »

Offline Boo Radley

« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2007, 07:41:44 pm »
puck,

Your bizarre associations and sweeping declarations remind me of a schizophrenic during a psychotic break. 

It's "well known" anyone who holds a belief is self-righteous.  Right.   So you're self-righteous as much as anyone else, unless you have no beliefs.  You're so omniscient you know I'm the kind of person to take up a gun to "make" my point, my beliefs have not been examined before coming to them, I just plucked them from thin air, and my kind of thinking scares you.  Your belief, sitting on the fence, is obviously the only correct one.  Your thinking, black or white, is correct. 

You scare me. 

Are you hiding an anencephalic cranium under that hat?  Ha ha!!  Funny joke!

Boo

P.S.  Thanks, Rod.  I tried with limited success.

Offline swede_dish

• My blog
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2007, 07:59:42 pm »
Oy vey.
-Bette Midler

Offline dtwpuck

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2007, 08:04:00 pm »
puck,

Your bizarre associations and sweeping declarations remind me of a schizophrenic during a psychotic break. 

It's "well known" anyone who holds a belief is self-righteous.  Right.   So you're self-righteous as much as anyone else, unless you have no beliefs.  You're so omniscient you know I'm the kind of person to take up a gun to "make" my point, my beliefs have not been examined before coming to them, I just plucked them from thin air, and my kind of thinking scares you.  Your belief, sitting on the fence, is obviously the only correct one.  Your thinking, black or white, is correct. 

You scare me. 

Are you hiding an anencephalic cranium under that hat?  Ha ha!!  Funny joke!

Boo

P.S.  Thanks, Rod.  I tried with limited success.

Boo... you're still attacking me.  I haven't attacked you.  And I'm not going to.  I am just making a point that people who hold their beliefs with absolute certainty are more likely to react violently when challenged.  Thanks for proving my point.

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2007, 08:07:01 pm »
Now boys, be nice.  The pope loves you.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2007, 08:10:35 pm »
If however, you choose to be evil, this pope will strip the flesh from your bones.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.