Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:10:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 220
Total: 220

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Millions face shrinking Social Security payments  (Read 11376 times)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Millions face shrinking Social Security payments
« on: August 23, 2009, 09:43:19 pm »
Millions face shrinking Social Security payments

By STEPHEN OHLEMACHER, Associated Press Writer
1 hr 7 mins ago

WASHINGTON – Millions of older people face shrinking Social Security checks next year, the first time in a generation that payments would not rise. The trustees who oversee Social Security are projecting there won't be a cost of living adjustment (COLA) for the next two years. That hasn't happened since automatic increases were adopted in 1975.

By law, Social Security benefits cannot go down. Nevertheless, monthly payments would drop for millions of people in the Medicare prescription drug program because the premiums, which often are deducted from Social Security payments, are scheduled to go up slightly.

"I will promise you, they count on that COLA," said Barbara Kennelly, a former Democratic congresswoman from Connecticut who now heads the National Committee to Preserve Social Security and Medicare. "To some people, it might not be a big deal. But to seniors, especially with their health care costs, it is a big deal."

Cost of living adjustments are pegged to inflation, which has been negative this year, largely because energy prices are below 2008 levels.

Advocates say older people still face higher prices because they spend a disproportionate amount of their income on health care, where costs rise faster than inflation. Many also have suffered from declining home values and shrinking stock portfolios just as they are relying on those assets for income.

"For many elderly, they don't feel that inflation is low because their expenses are still going up," said David Certner, legislative policy director for AARP. "Anyone who has savings and investments has seen some serious losses."

About 50 million retired and disabled Americans receive Social Security benefits. The average monthly benefit for retirees is $1,153 this year. All beneficiaries received a 5.8 percent increase in January, the largest since 1982.

More than 32 million people are in the Medicare prescription drug program. Average monthly premiums are set to go from $28 this year to $30 next year, though they vary by plan. About 6 million people in the program have premiums deducted from their monthly Social Security payments, according to the Social Security Administration.

Millions of people with Medicare Part B coverage for doctors' visits also have their premiums deducted from Social Security payments. Part B premiums are expected to rise as well. But under the law, the increase cannot be larger than the increase in Social Security benefits for most recipients.

There is no such hold-harmless provision for drug premiums.

Kennelly's group wants Congress to increase Social Security benefits next year, even though the formula doesn't call for it. She would like to see either a 1 percent increase in monthly payments or a one-time payment of $150.

The cost of a one-time payment, a little less than $8 billion, could be covered by increasing the amount of income subjected to Social Security taxes, Kennelly said. Workers only pay Social Security taxes on the first $106,800 of income, a limit that rises each year with the average national wage.

But the limit only increases if monthly benefits increase.

Critics argue that Social Security recipients shouldn't get an increase when inflation is negative. They note that recipients got a big increase in January — after energy prices had started to fall. They also note that Social Security recipients received one-time $250 payments in the spring as part of the government's economic stimulus package.

Consumer prices are down from 2008 levels, giving Social Security recipients more purchasing power, even if their benefits stay the same, said Andrew G. Biggs, a resident scholar at the American Enterprise Institute, a Washington think tank.

"Seniors may perceive that they are being hurt because there is no COLA, but they are in fact not getting hurt," Biggs said. "Congress has to be able to tell people they are not getting everything they want."

Social Security is also facing long-term financial problems. The retirement program is projected to start paying out more money than it receives in 2016. Without changes, the retirement fund will be depleted in 2037, according to the Social Security trustees' annual report this year.

President Barack Obama has said he would like tackle Social Security next year, after Congress finishes work on health care, climate change and new financial regulations.

Lawmakers are preoccupied by health care, making it difficult to address other tough issues. Advocates for older people hope their efforts will get a boost in October, when the Social Security Administration officially announces that there will not be an increase in benefits next year.

"I think a lot of seniors do not know what's coming down the pike, and I believe that when they hear that, they're going to be upset," said Sen. Bernie Sanders, an independent from Vermont who is working on a proposal for one-time payments for Social Security recipients.

"It is my view that seniors are going to need help this year, and it would not be acceptable for Congress to simply turn its back," he said.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline skeebo1969

Re: Millions face shrinking Social Security payments
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 11:56:05 pm »

Oh swell, looks like I'll be working till the day I die......
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 12:19:55 am »
Oh swell, looks like I'll be working till the day I die......

But you probably suspected this, didn't you?  For years I have been hearing that SS will probably not be available in a few years.  I have been counting [for quite a while] on having to labour till I am old and wrinkled   :(
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 12:44:41 am »
But you probably suspected this, didn't you? 

Oh yea...  You know me, just had to leave a sarcastic comment on something tonight.  Might as well be about the great oportunities I'll face working to a ripe old age .  I fear I'll probably end up working in one of those gas stations in Miami with the bullet proof glass at the ripe old age of 70.  You know the ones I speak of :D

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 12:48:48 am »
I fear I'll probably end up working in one of those gas stations in Miami with the bullet proof glass at the ripe old age of 70.  You know the ones I speak of :D

LOL, yup, scary. I'll probably end up doing a full circle and become a Publix bag-boy again at 67.  I wonder if my tips will be enough to cover the HIV meds.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 07:36:40 am »
Well, it certainly is unfortunate, but millions out in the work world are facing no increases and/or pay cuts (not to mention job losses) -- it's called an economic recession for a reason.

Mike

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 09:36:35 am »
Well, it certainly is unfortunate, but millions out in the work world are facing no increases and/or pay cuts (not to mention job losses) -- it's called an economic recession for a reason.

Mike

That's for sure.  We were told " no pay raises for probably two years" My last pay raise was March of 08.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 10:09:30 am »
Be careful what you say here in this thread, BOYS AND GIRLS.  Many of us dinosaurs simply cannot afford NOT to get some raise relief from our dear SS office next year.

My property taxes have risen more than 4%, and are projected to skyrocket in the next two years, because they follow the economy by two years.
Food prices have gone up in my community about 10%.
Insurance of all kinds have skyrocketed.
My home value fell a good 20%.
Savings?  You are simply not of this world if you think that most LTSers could afford to save a penny.

And so on and so on. 

Only trouble is; I can't go back to work, so I am selling everything I can get my hands on.
Please be kind when being sarcastic about those of us who are living so close to the belt already, and don't have the luxury of health to go back to work and do something constructive about this very scarry problem.  :)
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 12:14:08 pm »
If you don't receive Social Security, please refrain from making light of the fact that many of us do. I have been on a fixed income for 15 years and any savings I had was spent on medical needs, to the point where I filed bankruptcy this year. I also cannot work, so my disability income is all that I have. This does not compare to losing your job or not getting a pay increase, as you can find another job, or get a better paying job, whereas I have no options at all. Social Security Income is all that many of us here have and while I fear for the future, I know that Social Security is solid and while there may be problems with funding in a couple of decades, at least there is time to fix the problem.

Like Tim said, all of our costs are going up, the only difference here is that some of you have the ability to change your future, by working and saving if possible, whereas we will never have that option again.

Offline BlueMoon

• Calling from the Fun House
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 12:42:18 pm »
Unless I misread the article, Social Security isn't being cut, but Medicare premiums are increasing. 

It's a complex world

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 12:51:08 pm »
It is the premium for Medicare Part D (drugs) that may rise and unlike the premium for Medicare Part A & B, it has no cap on any increase. The premium for Parts A/B cannot rise any higher than the increase in SSI, but not so for the drug premium.

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 12:58:34 pm »
Unless I misread the article, Social Security isn't being cut, but Medicare premiums are increasing. 

Just a quickie here.  Our "normal" increase every year in January is approximately 4%, or the "normal" cost of living increase.  Anything short of that, say 1%, or 2%, is a severe cut, and any increase in Medicare costs, is the equivilant of stealing from our already short resources. 

Please do the math.  You cannot take from a given supply without causing it to be in reality a severe cut in income. 
Lynn Lavne

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 04:45:43 pm »
I was not trying to make light of anyone who is on Social Security.  My mother has virtually nothing but SS income -- I was completely sincere when I stated it was unfortunate.  I apologize if anyone took it that way.
All I was doing was pointing out that this is the same for everyone right now.  While it might seem easy to go find a higher paying job, the reality is different -- my partner lost his job last October and still can not find a full time job, so we have taken a hit on his income, my compensation has been cut, my taxes are going up, my health care costs are going up, etc.  This isn't a holding pattern for us, it is an absolute loss of income from previous years.  Now, I'm not whining about me -- I know I'm more fortunate than many, but my income situation (i.e. a decrease) is not unique.
I agree that this is all quite painful, but the whole economy is a mess and I'm not quite sure where the additional monies will come from for an increase. 

Mike

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 06:13:41 pm »
Mike, I think you are missing the whole point here. I agree that the current state of affairs is awful, but eventually the economy will rebound, people will find jobs and life will go on. My point was that I don't have any options to augment my income, by working and I have to rely on government increases to try and keep my head above water. I've lost jobs and somehow you make it, but its very different when you are on a fixed income forever, not just for a few lean years.

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 08:15:57 pm »
I was not trying to make light of anyone who is on Social Security.  My mother has virtually nothing but SS income -- I was completely sincere when I stated it was unfortunate.  I apologize if anyone took it that way.
All I was doing was pointing out that this is the same for everyone right now. 

Mike

I didn't take it, that you were making light of the situation Mike. Hey,  We're home owners also paying taxes, electric, car insurance, home insurance, clothing costs, food, cable, phone on and on.  Everything is going up.

Ed's retired, he's lost a big chunk of his savings with this economic recession ( or whatever one wants to call it )  I doubt that I will be getting a raise in March of 2010 .  It will most likely be 2011, before I see any kind of pay raise.  We're both cutting expenses everywhere we can. And then there's health care.  It's anyone's guess, what our company will do for January 1st, of next year. Believe me, we're tightening the belt !! I am preparing for the possible worse this January.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2009, 08:31:32 pm »

PS,  I don't shop at the Goodwill or Salvation Army, Just because I'm trying to make some sort of fashion statement !!  

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2009, 04:17:07 am »

The above remarks I made will most likely hold true for my situation.   I find it difficult to understand how one could be offended.  I have paid into Social Security for the last 25 years.  Unlike others who have done the same there will most likely be nothing coming in the mail when I can't work any longer.

Kind of scary to say the least...

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2009, 07:58:41 am »
Ray, I do shop and Goodwill and Salvation Army, because I simply cannot afford to shop retail.  And I find good clothes there.  I don't know what you mean about making a "fashion statement." 

I live on social security, and am looking for part-time work.  I went to school, got a 4-yr. degree.  But, unfortunately today, a 4-yr. degree is about as good as a high school diploma.  But, it sure costs a lot more.  So, sooner or later, the student loans will start coming due.  And I hope to have a part-time job then so I can pay them back.  Otherwise, student loan places do garnish SSDI.  Why did I take student loans?  Because the university I went to is private, and thus costs more than public ones do.  So, pell grants wouldn't cover it 100%.  Anyway, the job situation for someone trying to get back into it, although part-time, is not good at all.  So for now, as for the past 15 years, SSDI is all I have, and like Joe said, government agencies.  Which are all really f***** up. 

I don't care what anyone says.  Those with steady jobs should be damn grateful.  Yeah, maybe taxes are going up.  But, I read about vacations people take etc. and I don't hardly ever read about vacations those of us on social security take, unless it's paid for by someone else.  So, there is extra money for most working folk, aye.  Living on disability, I get a fraction of what I made when I was working, even though it was 15 years ago.  And yeah, I know folks get frustrated by their jobs.  But, I get frustrated by the fact people don't want to give me a chance (to get a part time job), and I have to decide which food bank to go to in the middle of the month, and which one at the end of the month.  And I get frustrated by having to tell friends that no, I really can't even afford Arby's for lunch. 

I will say I'm damn grateful that I haven't had to sell everything I have, and end up living downtown with the homeless population, that I see everyday where I'm volunteering (a treatment center in the ghetto).  But, it's going to be tougher to make it without the cost of living increase. :-\
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2009, 08:22:50 am »
Ray, I do shop and Goodwill and Salvation Army, because I simply cannot afford to shop retail.  And I find good clothes there.  I don't know what you mean about making a "fashion statement."  

It was meant as a Joke.  I've also been shopping at those stores for close to 20 years. I get a lot of my clothes there, including my work clothes. I get quality clothes there. As far as vacations go, I save all year for these vacations. And I am deserving of them.  I work hard for my money ( sounds like a song title ).

Believe me Betty, I understand the hardships that many are going through. I am grateful that I am working full time. Who would have thought that 24 years of living positive, and with an aids diagnosis, that I would still be working.

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2009, 08:47:16 am »
Just out of curiosity how much can people on disability earn without it affecting their monthly checks?

BTW my father didn't stop working until he was 78 and I'm planning on working until I can't work anymore. I'm not going to have enough money to retired on before age 75.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 08:51:25 am by GSOgymrat »

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2009, 09:13:11 am »

I also just want to say this.  In 2004 when Neuropathy kicked in, I took almost a $5.00 per hour cut in pay,( took another position), Just so I could stick with the same company, and keep my insurance and benefits..  My wages now, are just about $3.00 per hour above Florida's mimimum wage.

I can tell you, that ain't much, in fact, thats poverty ! I learned a very, very, long time ago, how to be frugal and stretch a dollar. I learned this at an early age, long before HIV ever became a part of my life. The more older I get, the more frugal I become.    No luxury lifestyle living here ! Ed and I live very simply !

When Those clothes get a little worn out, ( that I buy from the Goodwill or the Salvation Army),

They get re-donated to metropolitan Charities in St. Pete.

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2009, 09:47:38 am »
Just out of curiosity how much can people on disability earn without it affecting their monthly checks?

Ford, the answer is about $9,000 a year.  The problem comes when you cannot physically work more than two or three days in a row, or else you have to argue with yourself about whether or not to leave the wheelchair parked today.  The other problem is the knowledge that many have returned to part time work, only to be told they are now capable and their SSDI is cut for life.  I know a man in Phoenix who is now struggling with life or death, not because of his meds, but because of the fact that he lost his SSDI and now cannot stop working.  Knowing him, he will work himself into his grave because of no other alternative.  Too bad, he is an incredibly talented and young (40ish) person, who deserves better.

In my mind, I am totally capable of holding down a 40 hr./wk. job, but my body doesn't agree.

Oh how I wish I could go back to work, I miss it very much. :)
Lynn Lavne

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2009, 01:33:16 pm »
Ray, I do know it's hard for working people.  Living smack in the middle of Elkhart, Warsaw and South Bend, Indiana, where the manufacturing industry took a huge hit, with hundreds and hundreds of people losing their jobs, I know.  The local community trade college, this school year, has had to turn a little over a thousand people away because of the huge enrollment (most of these people have no other skills).  Indiana is supposed to be the 2nd state in line for the largest amount of the stimulus money, and I sincerely hope it helps these people.  Many of them have ended up in shelters, or on the street because of the shelters being in overflow, a lot of them being families. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2009, 03:38:00 pm »

BTW my father didn't stop working until he was 78 and I'm planning on working until I can't work anymore. I'm not going to have enough money to retired on before age 75.

Did your father have any health complications from AIDS?

Offline PeteNYNJ

• When life gives you AIDS...make LemonAIDS!
    • Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2009, 10:39:55 pm »
Did your father have any health complications from AIDS?

Tacky

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2009, 07:14:29 am »
Tacky

Pete, actually Dachs was making a point.  I'm sure Ford's father had Medicare, because he paid into it.  And when he was working, he probably had good insurance.  There are a lot of people with Aids who don't have health insurance, and it's kind of a damned if you do and don't situation.  People with Aids who aren't healthy kill themselves at work so they can keep insurance to be able to afford their meds and health care, while a lot of people with Aids on disability can't go back to work because they'll lose their health care.  I believe that's one of the points Dachs was trying to make.  Of course, if I'm wrong, Aunty will correct me. ;)

Offline dixieman

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2009, 11:21:13 am »
I have 4 more years before I retire but, I will always keep working. I'll have my 25 years in to keep my insurance and I've lost a lot with the stocks that I inherited but, land never really looses value so when the economy starts bouncing back... I'm selling... I've bought gold and silver for years... I started buying gold when it was $20 an ounce waiting to sell when it hits the $2,000 mark... silver has always been used for a means of exchange when paper money is worthless... and its relatively cheap per ounce today... it should hit $50 per ounce within the next year... my accountant is on par with me looking for a collapse in the financial market after a short rebound... within the next couple of years... so I am getting rid of everything I can... I've paid everything off and I hope that I can help out my friends and family if we go into a deeper deppression than anticipated...

Offline PeteNYNJ

• Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2009, 04:38:32 pm »
Pete, actually Dachs was making a point.  I'm sure Ford's father had Medicare, because he paid into it.  And when he was working, he probably had good insurance.  There are a lot of people with Aids who don't have health insurance, and it's kind of a damned if you do and don't situation.  People with Aids who aren't healthy kill themselves at work so they can keep insurance to be able to afford their meds and health care, while a lot of people with Aids on disability can't go back to work because they'll lose their health care.  I believe that's one of the points Dachs was trying to make.  Of course, if I'm wrong, Aunty will correct me.

I understand his point, I just thought it was kinda snarky to ask about Ford's dad.  Maybe I was just a bit sensitive last night?  lol   

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2009, 09:29:48 pm »
I understand his point, I just thought it was kinda snarky to ask about Ford's dad.  Maybe I was just a bit sensitive last night?  lol   

Yeah, just a bit (sensitive).  Ford brought up how long his dad worked, so Dachs mentioned him to make his point.  Otherwise, as they say, it would have been a "mute point."

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2009, 12:07:57 pm »
If my dad has AIDS I don't know about it. I'm just saying that AIDS or no AIDS I will have to work until I can't feasibly work anymore. Considering my current income, investments, rate of savings and 401k plus the rate of inflation, the forcast of the US economy and my passion for traveling, toys and good food I will not be able to afford to retire at 70, especially if social security dries up. Fortunately, like my father, I like my job and enjoy working.

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2009, 12:54:39 pm »
Ford, the answer is about $9,000 a year.  The problem comes when you cannot physically work more than two or three days in a row, or else you have to argue with yourself about whether or not to leave the wheelchair parked today.  The other problem is the knowledge that many have returned to part time work, only to be told they are now capable and their SSDI is cut for life.  I know a man in Phoenix who is now struggling with life or death, not because of his meds, but because of the fact that he lost his SSDI and now cannot stop working.  Knowing him, he will work himself into his grave because of no other alternative.  Too bad, he is an incredibly talented and young (40ish) person, who deserves better.

In my mind, I am totally capable of holding down a 40 hr./wk. job, but my body doesn't agree.

Oh how I wish I could go back to work, I miss it very much. :)

Yep, mine doesn't agree as well, I did the part time thingy about 6 yrs. ago, until my body kept telling NO, and I fought with filling out paper-work w/ SSDI to do so, it was a real pain-in-ass, and just not worth it to me, the good news is, SSDI has left me alone, since I don't do it anymore........go figure  ::)
if someone offered me a job (under-the-table) I still wouldn't do it, cuz my body says NO......
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 12:58:25 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2009, 01:05:46 pm »
The ability for some to miss a point never ceases to amaze me. Unfortunately, for those forced to live on disability and social security, travel, toys and good food are a distant memory. Cut back on payments and even bad food might become something in the past. Personally, I would feel just a little bit creepy discussing luxuries in a thread like this. With few exceptions the folks receiving social security around here do so because their health failed. One bad stretch of health (insurance included) and it's goodbye Cozumel, hello food bank.

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2009, 01:16:43 pm »
The ability for some to miss a point never ceases to amaze me. Unfortunately, for those forced to live on disability and social security, travel, toys and good food are a distant memory. Cut back on payments and even bad food might become something in the past. Personally, I would feel just a little bit creepy discussing luxuries in a thread like this. With few exceptions the folks receiving social security around here do so because their health failed. One bad stretch of health (insurance included) and it's goodbye Cozumel, hello food bank.

luxuries...... anybody that has lived on SSDI only, knows that there is NO such thing as luxuries on a fixed income, if your not sick, and you can still work, I would suggest to all of you that aren't on SSDI  to keep your job and health Ins. as long as you can ::)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 01:19:37 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2009, 01:52:50 pm »
I don't see how sniping about our various standards of living will solve anything. What I see in this news, should be sobering for all working pozzies, because you are the ones at real risk here. Most of us dinosaurs are 50+ and with luck we will make it into our 60's or 70's and that will be it. We are living our "retirement" in reverse, as opposed to working pozzies, who should have a real concern that SS will be there for them. Within ten years, millions of boomers will begin to retire, increasing costs for SS, while the number of working stiffs, supporting it through taxes, is forecast to steadily decline. However, no one will ever gut SS, but the increasing costs will be horrendous.

Those of us who survive now on SSI, at least have the comfort that the system will be there until we die. I am not so sure for those of you in your 30s and 40s. If this country does not start to address some real concrete issues, like health care reform, at some point, the well will run dry. I don't worry too much about the future, because to me, I'm living on borrowed time, not so for others. I did my advocacy thing and it's time for many of you to pick up the cause, because your very futures are at stake.

We should be more concerned about supporting sustainable public policy, rather than comparing where fate has led us. Do I resent that I live on a fixed income and many of the pleasures of life are gone? Damn right I do. However, I cannot begrudge those who have worked hard for their pleasures as that would be unfair. Few of us had very much control in how our lives would be and for those who still have options, I suggest you take measures to protect yourself.

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2009, 02:03:06 pm »
Being on disability is hard financial and emotionally and I think anyone who can avoid it should avoid it. Those of us who are not on disability need to plan on working until we are into are 70s if we want to maintain our standard of living because with current cuts, the uncertainty of future funding and the global economy we cannot count on Social Security to provide enough money to live on.

Offline PeteNYNJ

• Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2009, 02:12:17 pm »
I think Killfoile hit the nail on the head.  I am one of the working pozzies (well technically right now unemployed) in his early 30s who is very worried about my future.  I noticed on my last social security statement that I would only be eligible for 85% of my estimated payout.  If this downtrend in the economy continues, who knows what will happen. 

Offline Robert

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2009, 05:04:22 pm »
I don't see how sniping about our various standards of living will solve anything.... However, I cannot begrudge those who have worked hard for their pleasures as that would be unfair. Few of us had very much control in how our lives would be and for those who still have options, I suggest you take measures to protect yourself.

You're quite right Joe.  Many of us worked hard when we were young, working 2 or 3 jobs, extra hours and taking risks with our money.  I knew when I was in high school I didn't want to work my whole life so I did what I had to do.  Of course I hadn't planned to retire when I did (53) but I didn't have much of a choice.  My 'retirement' certainly isn't what I had planned but I do OK. I've got simple needs and wants and make all my bills. I go to the Gatherings and that's about it. I certainly don't wait around hoping to cash in on someone's inheritance.  But for people to make snide remarks and  sly innuendoes that somehow your retirement is just not as worthy as someone's who is poor -- and has AIDS -- is just ignorant. Just because you're poor and living with  HIV/AIDS doesn't mean you deserve a badge of honor.  Sure, it might be more of a hardship but, hey, no one ever said life was easy or fair. 

robert 

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2009, 06:45:07 pm »
I never said that someone's retirement wasn't "worthy."  And to call something someone said "ignorant," is, well, ignorant in itself. 

Some people do alright living on social security, and get to have many extras.  Some of us do not.  For instance, I was 24 when I was diagnosed, and ended up on SSDI four years later due to severe wasting, and almost 0 t-cells.  Therefore, I didn't end up making the amount of money some people do who get decent sized social security checks.  Am I grateful for what I have?  Damn right I am.  If something happened to me now, I would be on the streets, due to the overflow of the shelters around here I mentioned earlier.  I'm grateful for Medicare also.  And yes, even grateful for food banks.  Do I think folks who have worked all their lives deserve their retirement?  Hell yes.  I never said I didn't, nor did anyone else. 

The fact is, some of us on SSDI don't get decent sized checks.  And to not get a cost of living raise, with the price of everything going up, well, just plain sucks ass.  Also as I mentioned earlier, I am trying to find a part-time job to supplement my income.  But until then, and for some people the rest of their lives, it's pure, 100% poverty (and in case someone's going to make a smart-ass remark, yes, I do fall within 100% of poverty guidelines, as I'm sure do many).  There's more I'd like to say, but I guess it's a mute point.  Some of those who live the "good life" will never (and that's the truth) understand.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2009, 12:18:31 am »
Honey, don't waste your ink on the conservative mo crowd. They don't get it and never will. It's innuendo and out the other.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2009, 02:54:45 am »
Maybe I should have just gone ahead and died when infected at at the age of 23 instead of hearing all of this carping about the Social Security leeches -- as it was I finished school with AIDS (3 degrees), and I worked a high paying job with LOTS AND LOTS OF STRESS in NYC for a good decade (and assuredly paid more than most here into SS and Medicare) all along with AIDS-ish cd4s, 2 bouts of wasting and other maladies before finally giving in to filing for SSI.  Add in lots of lipo, neuropathy, and diarrhea so bad I often shit in public on subway platforms during daily commutes.

I guess I should have just not even tried and just foresaken any medications all that time so that I'd not currently be a burden on these God fearin' conservatard tax payers.

And no, I don't have any private disability insurance from the small design firm I worked in for a decade, or the non-profit I worked in for five years, just SSI that's a tad few dollars over the amount where I don't qualify for anything other than ADAP... no food stamps and no rental assistance -- but I do manage to take vacations while on disability if only because of the kindness of a few wealthy friends or my parents.  Otherwise I sit at home and post on this board, read a lot of history books, and do volunteer work.  Nor have I owned a car for 20 years to save money, and I live in dump.

Oh, and my TV is over 20 years old and I take over 25 pills a day. and up until 3 years ago I went to the doctor twice a month, PLUS specialists -- not sure how one can hold a job with that schedule.  And of course I now have a 8 year hole on my resume -- try explaining that to a prospective employer who has no desire to hire an AIDS victim that might cause their insurance premiums to skyrocket.

So you one-a-day Atripla folks count your blessings (that is if you're even on meds yet but still manage to complain).

BACK ON TOPIC:  I think from the opening article all anyone is asking that if Medicre premiums go up, as they do every year, then the SSI should be adjusted so that recipients at least receive the same aggregate monthly amount, as these premiums are deducted from the monthly check.  We're probably talking at most about $15-20 per person.  As it is I have sleep apnea but can't go for a second sleep study because they won't to charge me $800 for what Medicare will not pay, so basically I spend every night waking up from defective breathing on the order of 80 times a night -- really great for my health, don't you think.  So now I'm looking towards a $155-$200/mo extra cost to pay for supplementary Medicare insurance.  Great system we have here in the USA#1!!!  Wonder how I'll pay for that?

But hey, let's go ahead and have another thousand threads on AIDSmeds about how government has a conspiracy preventing us all from having a cure for this lame, tired disease, or if ginseng tea will decrease our viral loads.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 03:18:47 am by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline PeteNYNJ

• Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2009, 03:05:57 am »
I hope no one takes offense to anything I posted on here.  I am taking advantage of the system I paid into right now (unemployment).  I don't think anyone is a leech who takes advantage of a program that in my opinion should be offered to anyone who is down and out. 

I am not conservative at all...far from it, I am more of a socialist. 

I understand all your points about not getting increases but inflation is going up.  It is quite a fucked up country we are living in now. 

I am constantly disgusted by people who decide to spend millions of dollars on homes and shopping sprees while others in this country can barely pay rent due to circumstances out of their control.  I guess in a capitalist system it is their right, but it is also my right to think they are douchy.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.