Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:52:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773197
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 518
Total: 518

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: beginning to take control of my feelings  (Read 3235 times)

Offline positivmat

beginning to take control of my feelings
« on: March 19, 2009, 07:50:51 am »
Its been almost seven weeks since I was diagnosed. The hardest thing has been my anger at myself, whoever gave me this and the virus. I hate the idea that my body is fighting so hard against this vkirus when I used to be so proud of my health and my strength. When I woke up in the middle of the night worrying about myself and raging at myself, I thought you have to give yourself a break or you will get sick. I tried this breathing exercise, tonglen.  I thought when you breathe in take in all this pain and anger over not knowing why and who and breathe out compassion for everyone who suffers unjustly and doesn't know why. Just this act (and the fact that I am weary from seven weeks of self hatred and abuse) helped me re-focus on others. I don't know if it will always work on my anger but this morning compassion for myself beat the anger. And I thought that I would have to do that if I wanted my immune system to have a chance in hell of not exhausting itself. Thought I would share something that helped me get past the anger. I probably couldn't have done this til I exhausted myself with beating myself up but I was able to get there this morning

Offline veritas

Re: beginning to take control of my feelings
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 10:09:06 am »

Mat,

As time goes by, you learn to live with the disease. That first shock of finding out your POZ ( sort of like getting kicked in the face by someone you trust ) is replaced by focusing on what you must do to stay healthy and still go on with your life. Sometimes there is little change, sometimes one decides to go in a different life direction. The anger will pass more quickly day by day. Channel your emotions in a psitive (no pun intended) direction and who knows, what new and wonderful things can happen.
One thing I percieve from your post ------ You will be OK ------ !

veritas

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: beginning to take control of my feelings
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 11:14:53 am »
Hi Mat,

Your feelings are very understandable. And familiar to those who have been living here for a while. Even if you can't see it you're already beginning to come to terms with this new element in your life. In general I never focus on "why," but rather on "what is."

But I also encourage you to allow yourself to have all of your thoughts and feelings. Gradually you're going to find your way. Coming to this site is a part of that journey. You're always welcome here to ask questions and to talk about anything that's on your mind. Gradually you're going to learn whatever you need to know to stay healthy. Working in partnership with a good doctor will be a great tool for that as well.

Be as supportive and gentle with yourself as you would likely be to a good friend or even a stranger who needed your help.

Welcome.

Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.