Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:25:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 227
Total: 227

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Natural peptide protects against HIV  (Read 17662 times)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Natural peptide protects against HIV
« on: April 19, 2007, 03:25:14 pm »
Natural peptide protects against HIV

A natural component of human blood has been found to block the HIV virus from infecting cells. And fortunately, tweaking just a few of the amino acids that form the molecule somehow makes its effects 100 times more potent.

Because it works in a different way to existing therapies, the peptide could lead to a novel class of drugs to fight AIDS. There is also evidence that HIV doesn't easily develop resistance to the new compound, which is a major problem with many current HIV treatments.

The molecule, known as VIRIP (virus-inhibitory peptide), binds to a spiky protein on the surface of the HIV virus called gp41. HIV normally uses this protein to make the first contact with and latch onto a human cell, after which it would infect it. But the intervention of VIRIP stops that contact from happening.

Once they had isolated the protein, the team set about adjusting it to explore which changes to its structure might alter its function, by fiddling with the amino acids in its 20-amino-acid chain. In one instance, they found that adding just one specific amino-acid building block rendered the protein useless in protecting against HIV. "We were surprised it was so specific," says Kirchhoff. "It is really striking."
VIRIP picks on a fairly stable surface protein, which does not change so much — it works in conjunction with another protein, called gp120, which was recently discovered to be conserved over time. This means that a drug using it should remain effective. "The really good thing is that it targets a very conserved area," says Ray. "It does seem to be a promising candidate."

complete article:  link
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
Re: Natural peptide protects against HIV
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 03:45:40 pm »
Looks like they've worked on that one since 2001 http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?WO=2001/34640
If they republish, it's promising. The description on the new patent is very informative: http://freshpatents.com/Peptides-and-their-use-for-the-treatment-of-hiv-infections-dt20070329ptan20070072805.php?type=description

Milker.

mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline jivemiguel1

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 05:43:00 pm »
Please forgive me, I'm new at all this, but don't this information correlate with Dr. Candace Pert's work?  By the way, has anybody heard from her lately?  I was under the impression, that she was to make a major announcement, sometime at the end of march?  While on the subject of apparitions, anybody know anything on Dr. Kangs vaccines?

Offline condomslip

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 06:27:45 pm »
I am under the impression that a few major announcements are in the pipe. Not just from these camps, but from several. We could see day, not too far from now, where the next generation of therapies are excessive. This is a good thing, of course. We are on the brink of major news in the long term treatment of HIV. Ihave no specifics on this, but having read ever study and report out there over the past 4 years, I can tell you some things are on the very near horizon. It's just a matter of who announces what first. No, not a cure, but a viable, long term, resistent proof therapies are in the works. Just my opinion.

Have a great day!

Offline Central79

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 07:19:52 pm »
Very cool Philly - thanks for posting.

M
Diagnosed January 2006
26/1/06 - 860 (22%), VL > 500,000
24/4/06 - 820 (24.6%), VL 158,000
13/7/06 - 840 (22%), VL 268,000
1/11/06 - 680 (21%), VL 93,100
29/1/07 - 1,020 (27.5%), VL 46,500
15/5/07 - 1,140 (22.8%), VL not done.
13/10/07 - 759 (23.2%), VL 170,000
6/11/07 - 630 (25%), VL 19,324
14/1/08 - 650 (21%), VL 16,192
15/4/08 - 590 (21%), VL 40, 832

Offline Jake72

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 07:35:54 pm »
I am under the impression that a few major announcements are in the pipe. Not just from these camps, but from several. We could see day, not too far from now, where the next generation of therapies are excessive. This is a good thing, of course. We are on the brink of major news in the long term treatment of HIV. Ihave no specifics on this, but having read ever study and report out there over the past 4 years, I can tell you some things are on the very near horizon. It's just a matter of who announces what first. No, not a cure, but a viable, long term, resistent proof therapies are in the works. Just my opinion.

Have a great day!

While we're at it, let's also hope for non-toxic, very easy to administer/adhere to, and relatively inexpensive.  Fingers crossed.

Offline jivemiguel1

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 07:39:51 pm »
yes, very cool indeed.  I've been holdingout on meds, with the hope that something better was on the horizon, but unfortuneatly I had to start on meds last week, after 20 some years, doctors orders.  Where's gene therapy or vaccines when you need them.  Hopefully, my expierence with meds will be short lived.  Had I listened to docs 6 to 8 years ago, I'd have been knee deep in drug therapy, with major resistance.  hope what you've said is true, I could sure use some positive reassureance.  once again thanks for the positive news

Offline bimazek

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 08:29:36 pm »

thanks philly you gave me hope for the day, every day i go on here an look for any great news any breakthru cause i am so so afraid and worried about even starting on the meds out htere today

i have two friends on meds less then a year an i can see changes in their face and body it is frightening to me

i made a mistake and hope for a breakthru

here are the links to the only 3 papers on this in 2006 and 2007

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?num=100&hl=en&lr=&q=VIRIP+hiv&as_ylo=2006&as_yhi=2007&btnG=Search

this is the only one from 1980 to 2005
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1087881

Offline bimazek

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 08:38:51 pm »
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=VIRIP+hiv&btnG=Google+Search

Discovery of an HIV inhibitor in human blood points to new drug class
Thus, they showed, VIRIP plays an essential role in the ability of HIV to fuse with and infect its host's immune cells. That unique underlying mechanism ...
www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2007-04/cp-doa041607.php - Apr 19, 2007 - Similar pages

HIV inhibitor in human blood points to new drug class | Huliq ...
Kirchhoff's group also provided evidence that HIV-1 does not easily develop resistance to VIRIP, at least in cell culture. Furthermore, their collaborators ...
www.huliq.com/19051/hiv-inhibitor-in-human-blood-points-to-new-drug-class - Apr 19, 2007 - Similar pages

news @ nature.com - Natural peptide protects against HIV - A ...
The molecule, known as VIRIP (virus-inhibitory peptide), binds to a spiky protein on the surface of the HIV virus called gp41. HIV normally uses this ...
www.nature.com/news/2007/070416/full/070416-12.html - Apr 19, 2007 - Similar pages

Natural Blood Molecule Blocks HIV - Forbes.com
The team found that fragments of a blood molecule they call Virus-Inhibitory Peptide (VIRIP) inhibit HIV-1 and that making a few amino acid changes ...
www.forbes.com/forbeslife/health/feeds/hscout/2007/04/19/hscout603815.html - Apr 19, 2007 - Similar pages

Human peptides as AIDS inhibitors
In cooperation with IPF Pharmaceuticals GmbH based in Hannover, Münch succeeded in identifying an HIV inhibitor known as VIRIP. ...
www.bio-pro.de/en/region/ulm/magazin/01872/index.html - 23k

Offline bimazek

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 08:56:18 pm »
Successful AIDS researcher: Jan Münch. (Photo: BioRegionUlm)

http://www.bio-pro.de/en/region/ulm/magazin/01872/index.html

i like this guy he look happy, and true

i think he found a big big thing.

also here they say...
The research done by Münch is based on two factors. It has been known for a long time that endogenous retroviruses constitute an integral part of the human genome (approx. 8%).

i have been writing about this fact on this forum for two months... basically what this mean is...

inside every human dna 8% is acutally retroviruses that got stuck in thier when we were evolving from chimps, shrimps, bats and rats, and those viruses are stuck in our dna all of our... and this got the scientists thinking

if there are so many endogenous retroviruses-- dna of retro viruses stuck in our cells there must be some peptides that have also evolved to supppress these fragments ... and maybe if one is in the blood that will supress achient retrovirus dna that is stuck in our dna maybe there is one peptide molecule that represses hiv naturally that is in the blood already that may be... we can find... and make more of and turn into a medicine...   they just found one that suprreesses hiv

so so cool

check my posts from last month i wrote that  8% human dna 8% is acutally retroviruses stuck in there...

now, science is just finding some weird new diseases that pop up in humans when these old 8% human dna 8% is acutally retroviruses -- when they pop out of the dna and start to multiply and suddenily someone has a disease... like... i cant remember which but like ms, md, lypho, cancers etc...

caused by a 100 million year old retrovirus fragment in the bodies own dna that got their many eons ago

cool stuff

so so happy

and the guy looks good

to me

like a happy savior or friendly neighboor

Offline bimazek

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 08:58:10 pm »
Frank Kirchhoff - AIDS researcher from Ulm (Photo: BioRegionUlm)
http://www.bio-pro.de/en/region/ulm/magazin/01872/index.html
he is even cuter
maybe i am into germans or something

Offline bimazek

The VIRIP peptide is an α1 antitrypsin fragment consisting of 20 amino acids that was isolated from a blood peptide library. Jan Münch is confident about the likelyhood of success as the molecule has proved to be capable of inhibiting all HIV-1 variants tested so far, including patient isolates and HI viruses that have already become resistant to other drugs.

look at this... this same  α1 antitrypsin fragment shows up in many places in hiv... lilke in the gut....
http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=antitrypsin+hiv&hl=en&lr=&btnG=Search

cool this α1 antitrypsin fragment seems to be involved in the diaherrah hiv guys are getting... perhaps the body produces more α1 antitrypsin fragments and is trying to help fight off hiv and that is why they find an elevated level...

Faecal alpha 1 antitrypsin as a marker of gastrointestinal disease in HIV antibody positive individuals
D Sharpstone, A Rowbottom, M Nelson and B Gazzard Department of HIV/GUM, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, London.  Hypoalbuminaemia and diarrhoea are common complications of HIV infection and substantial causes of morbidity, but the specific intestinal pathologies that cause enteric protein loss have not been clearly defined. Two hundred and twenty stool samples from patients with a variety of HIV related conditions were analysed for faecal alpha 1 antitrypsin. Patients with intestinal Kaposi's sarcoma had a significantly raised faecal alpha 1 antitrypsin value and hypoalbuminaemia. A faecal alpha 1 antitrypsin value of greater than 0.3 mg/g wet stool has a sensitivity of 94% and a specificity of 76% for the diagnosis of intestinal Kaposi's sarcoma in HIV positive individuals. Patients with cytomegalovirus and bacterial enteritis had raised faecal alpha 1 antitrypsin values but levels were normal for all other intestinal pathologies compared with pathogen negative stool. The combination of faecal alpha 1 antitrypsin concentration greater than 0.2 mg/g, a negative stool culture for enteric bacteria, and the absence of palatal Kaposi's sarcoma has a sensitivity of 55% and specificity of 88% for the diagnosis of enteric cytomegalovirus infection.

therapy restores intestinal function in children with advanced HIV disease - group of 4 »
RB Canani, MI Spagnuolo, P Cirillo, A Guarino - JAIDS Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes, 1999 - jaids.com ... An increase in a α 1 -antitrypsin concentration in the stool was previously reported
in HIV-infected adults correlating to primary disruption of mucosal

it seems to have alot to do with children and we know that children do not progress to hiv aids as fast...

therapy restores intestinal function in children with advanced HIV disease - group of 4 »
RB Canani, MI Spagnuolo, P Cirillo, A Guarino - JAIDS Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes, 1999 - jaids.com ... An increase in a α 1 -antitrypsin concentration in the stool was previously reported
in HIV-infected adults correlating to primary disruption of mucosal

The protein metabolic response to HIV infection in young children 1 2 3 - group of 6 »
F Jahoor, S Abramson, WC Heird - 2003 - Am Soc Nutrition  ... pools of fibrinogen and 1 -antitrypsin in the HIV-infected group were associated with ASRs that were significantly faster than those of the uninfected group.

The protein metabolic response to HIV infection in young children 1 2 3 - group of 6 »
F Jahoor, S Abramson, WC Heird - 2003 - Am Soc Nutrition
... protein balance because of an inability to down-regulate protein catabolism. ... larger
plasma pools of fibrinogen and 1 -antitrypsin in the HIV-infected group

Alpha-1-antitrypsin inhibits human immunodeficiency virus type 1  Several observations suggest the existence of potent endogenous suppressors of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) production, and inhibitors of serine proteases may participate in this effect. Alpha-1-antitrypsin (AAT) is the most abundant circulating serine protease inhibitor. Physiological AAT concentrations inhibited HIV-1 production in chronically infected U1 monocytic cells, reduced virus replication in freshly infected peripheral blood mononuclear cells, and blocked infection of permissive HeLa cells. These results identify AAT as a candidate circulating HIV-1 inhibitor in vivo. Two different mechanisms of AAT-induced HIV-1 inhibition were identified, including reduced HIV-1 infectivity and blockade of HIV-1 production. A novel host–pathogen interaction is suggested, and an alternative strategy to treat HIV-1-related disease may be possible.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&lr=&q=antitrypsin+hiv+%22regulate%22&btnG=Search

do cows make a similar  1a -antitrypsin fragment that will do HIV-1 inhibition...................
Purification of a Modified Form of Bovine Antithrombin III as an HIV-1 CD8+ T-cell Antiviral Factor - group of 3 »
R Geiben-Lynn, N Brown, BD Walker, AD Luster - Journal of Biological Chemistry, 2002 - ASBMB
... inhibitor of HIV-1. It was shown that 1 -antitrypsin HIV-1 inhibition occurs partly
through blocking entry and partly through down-regulation of NF- B activity ...

Exercise and the Immune System: Regulation, Integration, and Adaptation - group of 8 »
BK Pedersen, L Hoffman-Goetz - Physiological Reviews, 2000 - Am Physiological Soc
... Exercise and the Immune System: Regulation, Integration, and Adaptation ... CD4+ lymphocyte
repopulation after anti-human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) treatment (147 ...
Cited by 241 - Related Articles - Web Search - BL Direct

HIV-1 proprotein processing as a target for gene therapy - group of 4 »
P Cordelier, MA Zern, DS Strayer - Gene Therapy, 2003 - nature.com
... the ability of a native human protein, α 1 antitrypsin (α 1 ... promoter that is
HIV-1-specific, such as the HIV-1 LTR, should regulate expression of α 1 AT. ...
Cited by 16 - Related Articles - Web Search - BL Direct

this is very exciting stuff...

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&lr=&q=antitrypsin+hiv+antiviral&btnG=Search

The Furin-Directed alpha1-Antitrypsin Variant alpha1-PDX: A Potent New Anti-Cytomegalovirus Drug
F Jean, L Thomas, J Nelson, G Thomas - Antiviral Research, 1998 - ingentaconnect.com
... expression of a furin-directed 1 -antitrypsin variant, 1 ... Similar to HIV-1 and Measles
virus, infectivity of ... usefulness of this protein as an antiviral agent, a ...
Cited by 1 - Related Articles - Web Search

The furin-directed alpha1-antitrypsin variant alpha1-PDX: a potent new anti-cytomegalovirus drug. …
A Res - Antiviral Res, 1998 - gateway.nlm.nih.gov
... expression of a furin-directed alpha1-antitrypsin variant, alpha1 ... Similar to
HIV-1 and Measles virus, infectivity of ... of this protein as an antiviral agent, a ...
Cached - Web Search

… and CD91 as host instruments against HIV-1 infection: Are extracellular antiviral peptides acting as …
LF Congote - Virus Res, 2007 - ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
... A1 (alpha1-antitrypsin, alpha1-proteinase inhibitor) has been shown to be a
non-cytolytic antiviral factor present in blood and effective against HIV infection

2007 Jan 25;
    alpha1-antitrypsin,  Serpin A1 and CD91 as host instruments against HIV-1 infection:

Are extracellular antiviral peptides acting as intracellular messengers?

Serpin A1 (alpha1-antitrypsin, alpha1-proteinase inhibitor) has been shown to be a non-cytolytic antiviral factor present in blood and effective against HIV infection. The best known physiological role of serpin A1 is to inhibit neutrophil elastase, a proteinase which is secreted by neutrophils at sites of infection and inflammation. Decreased HIV-infectivity is associated with decreased density of membrane-associated elastase. The enzyme may facilitate binding of the HIV membrane protein gp120 to host cells, and it specifically cleaves SDF-1, the physiological ligand of the HIV-1 co-receptor CXCR4. It has been suggested that one of the actions of serpin A1 as antiviral agent is to reduce HIV infectivity, and this property could be due to elastase inhibition. However, the most dramatic effect of serpin A1 is inhibition of HIV production. In vitro experiments indicate that the C-terminal peptide of serpin A1, produced during the formation of the complex of serpin with serine proteinases, may be responsible for the inhibition of HIV-1 expression in infected cells. This peptide, an integral part of the serpin-enzyme complex, is internalized by several scavenger receptors. Peptides corresponding to the C-terminal section of serpin A1 inhibit HIV-1 long-terminal-repeat-driven transcription and interact with nuclear proteins, such as alpha1-fetoprotein transcription factor. LDL-receptor-related protein 1 (LRP1/CD91), the best known receptor for serpin-enzyme complexes, is up-regulated in monocytes of HIV-1-infected true non-progressors. CD91 could be one of the major players in host resistance against HIV-1. It has the capacity of internalizing antiviral peptides such as serpin C-terminal fragments and alpha-defensins, and is at the same time the receptor for heat-shock proteins in antigen-presenting cells, in which chaperoned viral peptides could lead to the induction of cytotoxic T-cell responses.

Offline bimazek

Offline Central79

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2007, 09:09:11 am »
I definitely think that these highly conserved parts of HIV - the gp120 b12 region and this new glycoprotein are the way to go. Because the interactions between them and the human CD4 cell are so specific, the virus cannot mutate away from them without being unable to bind to CD4 receptors and infect host cells.

So hopefully we will have drugs with little or no side effects, effective inhibition of HIV, and no potential for mutation. I actually didn't think this was possible until recently - I figured anything with action against HIV could be mutated against, but maybe not.

I was reading more about this on aidsmap:

http://www.aidsmap.com/en/news/FB15F9D0-247D-423C-92C9-237AAB0F348C.asp

They can "tweak" VIRIP and make it 100x more effective in the test tube. And it is as effective as T20 at a fraction of the concentration, and is non-toxic up to much higher concentrations. Let's hope that in a few years this is around in the form of a drug we can take.

M.
Diagnosed January 2006

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2007, 12:39:19 pm »
Hate to be pessimistic but I think "in a few years" will be a bit longer.  What is the average time track for drug development from the stage presented in the original article?  Much longer as I recall.

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2007, 12:46:52 pm »
they said around five years. they filed a pretty long and very detailed patent right before publishing the article, so they must be pretty confident that this is something serious.

Milker.
nov 2 08 start Atripla

Offline Central79

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2007, 01:41:11 pm »
Hate to be pessimistic but I think "in a few years" will be a bit longer.  What is the average time track for drug development from the stage presented in the original article?  Much longer as I recall.

Yup, you're right. I was caffeinated when I wrote that!

I think it might actually not take so long as a regular drug. After all, you're dealing with a compound that is already in the body. They've already done some of the animal tests required and some studies in extracted human lymph tissue.

They're talking about starting phase I trials early next year.
Diagnosed January 2006

Offline J220

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2007, 05:03:49 pm »
See this is the kind of news that reassures me...not just about this particular promising peptide itself, but about what other great discoveries are on the horizon...we're geting there!!!
"Hope is my philosophy
Just needs days in which to be
Love of Life means hope for me
Born on a New Day" - John David

Offline NYCguy

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2007, 05:45:30 pm »
Does anyone have an idea if this type of inhibitor would be able to control/prevent infection in the brain or other hard-to-reach areas?  I often wonder about this in many of the new treatments being developed, since the focus is usually on cd4 infection.
11/9/06 = #$%^&!
sometime early Dec 2006:
CD4 530 20%/VL >250,000 (&*$$%!!)
started Reyataz300mg/Norvir/Truvada 12-27-06.
1/30/07 CD4 540 30%/VL <400
4/07 CD4 600+ 33%/VL <50
6/9/07 CD4 720 37%/VL <50
10/15/07 CD4 891 (!) %? VL <50
1/2010 CD4 599 (37%) VL<50 (drop due to acute HCV)
9/2010 - looks like HCV is gone for good! And I'm finally drinking again, thank GOD
2013 - considering a switch to Stribild. but I love my Kidneys (but I hate farting all the time!)...
June 2013 - switched to Stribild.  so far so good...

Offline Sky

• Myspace
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2007, 06:35:03 pm »
Since it's a naturally occuring peptide in the body it shouldn't take nearly as long as a normal drug.
Poz since 2003.

Offline Central79

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2007, 07:59:15 pm »
Does anyone have an idea if this type of inhibitor would be able to control/prevent infection in the brain or other hard-to-reach areas?  I often wonder about this in many of the new treatments being developed, since the focus is usually on cd4 infection.

I would guess that it does. I think a peptide of only 20 amino acids, like VIRIP, should cross the blood-brain barrier without much difficulty.

There are also quite a few drugs in current use that effectively suppress HIV in the brain: AZT, d4T, abacavir and sustiva all cross the blood brain barrier and suppress HIV. Also, immune cells themselves cross the blood brain barrier and combat HIV, so having more healthy CD4s floating around does it's bit.

M.
Diagnosed January 2006

Offline bimazek

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2007, 08:02:49 pm »
Substances with a molecular weight higher than 500 daltons (500 u) generally cannot cross the blood-brain barrier, while smaller molecules often can.     I think this peptide is much smaller than that so it should pass thru.

This is a major breakthrough in my humble opinion.  never have we had a naturally occuring substance that is already in the body that can fight HIV.  I hope and pray for all of us and the 15 people a day inside the USA who are still dying everyday from hiv that this gets to market and approved fast.

Offline Central79

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2007, 04:42:24 am »
Modified - posted in the wrong thread.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 04:49:29 am by Matt Mee »
Diagnosed January 2006

Offline minus_25

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2007, 07:48:08 pm »
...the 15 people a day inside the USA who are still dying everyday from hiv...

Really?  In the USA?  In this day and age?  How exactly are these people dying?  Do people run out of drug options or something?  Now I'm a little confused.  I'm new to this virus and reading a statement like that is kind of depressing, especially since everyone I talk to, from doctors to my hiv positive friends tell me that the drugs available now really work well.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2007, 08:16:05 pm »
I get a rate of 46.6 deaths per day yearly using 2005 numbers, or 1.94 per hour

http://www.avert.org/usastaty.htm
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 08:18:12 pm by philly267 »

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2007, 08:55:16 pm »

You killer you!  :D

Milker.
nov 2 08 start Atripla

Offline Central79

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2007, 09:33:55 am »
This is a major breakthrough in my humble opinion. 

I agree with you bizmazek in thinking that this is very important. But I'm not sure that it represents the future of HIV treatment. I think the major problem with it is how do you get a 20-residue peptide into the body? It's not going to be via the GI tract, because it'd be broken down - you're going to have to inject it IV. And unless you come up with a way of formulating it so it persists in the body for a week or more, I wonder if people are going to be able to use it.

This is the reason that soluble CD4 was never used as a therapy - the peptide was just too big to deal with and would have needed IV infusion.

It'll be interesting to see how this goes.

That's an interesting stat. I wonder how far above the baseline of the general population that is. It says 17,011 died with AIDS, not from it - with a million Americans HIV+ and a significant number of them having AIDS diagnoses some of that has got to be non-AIDS related.

M.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 09:40:40 am by Matt Mee »
Diagnosed January 2006

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2007, 12:06:10 pm »
Well, if they can get it down to a fuzeon size molecule I'm a pro with that injection now.  I will benefit greatly!

Personally I think injectable are great... when it circumvents the GI system there are no diarrhea side effects.  Would you rather prick yourself daily or sit on the toilet for hours on end?

Offline bimazek

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2007, 06:51:47 pm »

facts:

8% of every humans dna is retroviruses that got stuck in their during evolution

every human blood has some of this Viral inhibitory protein already in the body most likely

The Viral inhibitory protein they have invented because it is 100x more potent and cannot be mutated around could be a great breakthrough

thousands of liters of blood was filtered to find the discovery

some rare extremely rare diseases are caused when these "8% of every humans dna is retroviruses" fragments breakfree and create disease

the production of nef by hiv infection is the protein that does the majority of the damage to the human body

it is not the infected cd4 cells that die in large numbers because only one in a million are infected, it is the non infected cd4 cells that recieve a homing signal via fas that self distruct because they think their fighting job is over, this was proven at oxford with math models of the immune system

Offline Central79

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2007, 07:03:17 am »
Well, if they can get it down to a fuzeon size molecule I'm a pro with that injection now.  I will benefit greatly!

Personally I think injectable are great... when it circumvents the GI system there are no diarrhea side effects.  Would you rather prick yourself daily or sit on the toilet for hours on end?

I'd rather get pricked daily  ;D

Fuzeon is injected subcutaneously right? I think this thing would have to be injected IV, so I'm not sure you'd be able to do it yourself. But it would be cool if they could tinker with it and you could go to a clinic for 30 mins once weekly...

M.
Diagnosed January 2006

Offline SASA39

« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2007, 08:14:21 am »
Or once monthly ( ahhhhhhhhhhh those wonderfull Sustiva thoughts) :D
12. Oct`06.  CD4=58 %  VL not issued
25.Dec.`06.         203     VL= 0
25.Dec`06.- 19.Oct`16 :
various ups & downs- mostly ups - from 58-916 and back in #CD and few blips in VL.
19.Oct`16     CD4=644      VL=0

Offline bimazek

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2007, 07:08:40 pm »

I believe that this molecule would be small enough to put in a pill and will pass the blood brain barrier.

Is anyone on here a german or can speak german who can perhaps contact these researchers and find out any more details or if they need clinical trial people

in germany

was it in hannover germany or hamberg germany

we need human trial people from over in germany

to sign up when they are ready to move to human trials

Offline jivemiguel1

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2007, 10:32:52 pm »
Once again, I will simply ask, has anyone followed up on Dr. Candace Perts work?  Or, is she too self promoting for anyone to care.  Seems pretty convincing to me, can I get at least one response?

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2007, 11:01:17 pm »
Once again, I will simply ask, has anyone followed up on Dr. Candace Perts work?  Or, is she too self promoting for anyone to care.  Seems pretty convincing to me, can I get at least one response?

http://www.thebody.com/content/art4757.html

Doesn't seem to work well, but could be of help. I'm always a little wary when a single person announces a cure for HIV. But that's me.

Milker.
nov 2 08 start Atripla

Offline jivemiguel1

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2007, 05:45:10 am »
Thanks Milker, that seems to have answered my question.

Offline Central79

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2007, 06:32:58 am »
I believe that this molecule would be small enough to put in a pill and will pass the blood brain barrier.

I think it will probably go through the BBB when it's in the body, yes.

The question is how to get it into the body. I'm not sure putting it in a pill is going to work - it'll get digested and broken down into smaller peptides. I don't think a 20-AA peptide can cross from gut to bloodstream.

Hence the discussion about IV delivery.

M.
Diagnosed January 2006

Offline JPinLA

• Cheers!
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2007, 06:14:11 pm »
This is indeed wonderful and hopeful work and I agree with Matt that targeting these highly conserved parts of HIV is the way to beat out resistance and this looks to be a fantastic target.

Being in the business of developing protein based therapeutics I have a couple comments regarding discussions of pill development and modes of delivery.  I do not want to seem pessimistic or negative about this because I think it is a feasible target and could be a very effective therapy.

Having said that, it is very, very difficult to put proteins, even small peptides, in oral delivery forms due to exactly what has been already stated..they will be chopped up in the gut and cannot diffuse out like small molecules (chemicals). 

All the protein/peptide based therapeutics (large molecules) we have developed (at my company and in the greater biotechnology industry) are delivered either via IV or subcutaneously (with IV being the predominant route).  Additionally, most of the peptides are conjugated to some larger molecule/protein to ensure longer half life and stability in the body after delivery. 

One additional comment aside from the delivery discussion is regarding the use of endogenous molecules as therapies.  The use of recombinant or synthesized forms of molecules that naturally exist in the body is widespread and has been mostly safe and effective (insulin, factor VIII, erythropoietin) but it could be tricky since reintroduction of these similar molecules into the body could (not will or always) induce an immune response, which could (not will or always) result in an autoimmune state where an immune response directed at the therapy also acts of the native species.  This could result in a poor clinical effect and it could have little effect but all in all it is not looked favorably during review for approval by agencies like  EMEA and FDA.  The reason I point this out is that careful safety and efficacy studies are required even for therapies based on naturally existing molecules (specifically peptides, peptide mimetics and proteins) and the timeline is often longer than for smaller molecule based therapies.

I think this is a worthy pursuit and look forward to reading about more studies.  I wanted to put in my two cents from the drug development point of view as part of this discussion.  I am almost positive I have rambled  and if what I said doesn't make sense let me know.  I'm tired but enjoy these types of discussions.

JP (who is unabashedly nerdy)
11/06 - Diagnosed - VL/5784 & CD4 326
2/07 - VL/6000 & CD4 290 2/07
3//07 -Began Truvada/Viramune 
4/07 VL/undetectable and CD4 320 22%
7/07 VL/undetectable and CD4 286 22%
11/07 VL/undetectable and CD4 302 26%

Offline risred1

• My Source for Supps - www.newyorkbuyersclub.org
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2007, 11:08:41 am »
Update -  I just read that if this peptid can be turned into treatment, likely it will have to be injected.

While intesting, we have seen many interesting things over the years, and it probably will be at least a couple of years, probably more, before we see results. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

It may be more likely we may have theraputic Vaccine beofre this is ready, meaning, that I have many fingers crossed hoping that a "more natural" way to fight HIV comes soon.

We all need to be doing today so we can see the fruits of tomorrow.
risred1 - hiv +
02/07 CD4 404 - 27% - VL 15k
10/07 CD4 484 - 31% - VL 45k
05/08 CD4 414 - 26% - VL 70k
01/09 CD4 365 - 23% - VL 65k
05/09 CD4 291 - 23% - VL 115k - Started Meds - Reyataz/Truvada
06/09 CD4 394 - ?% - VL 1200 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
07/09 CD4 441 - ?% - VL 118 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
09/09 CD4 375 - ?% - VL Undetectable - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
12/09 CD4 595 - ?% - VL Undetectable - VIT D 34 - Reyataz/Truvada/Norvir

Offline hahaha

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2007, 12:31:03 pm »
Anybody have any idea that the research team start the phase I yet?
Aug 9, 2006 Get infected in Japan #$%^*
Oct 2006 CD4 239
Nov 2006 CD4 299 VL 60,000
Dec 1, Sustiva, Ziagan and 3TC
Jan 07, CD4 400

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.