Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:21:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772954
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 461
Total: 463

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Desperately in need to stop smoking!! Help!!  (Read 5642 times)

Offline makesmewonder

• Thats how i Love to Feel!! Ps: Thats my feet!!
Desperately in need to stop smoking!! Help!!
« on: April 21, 2009, 07:20:35 pm »
 :o

Hi Everybody!
I really want to stop smoking but i have been feeling so anxious lately that i just cannot stop smoking!
I take Viramune and Truvada and i am scared to use any kind of patch or anything else! i dont know what to do!
im feeling very tired and i have been coughing a lot lately! i dont know what to do anymore!!
Can someone suggest something?

Thanks

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
Re: Desperately in need to stop smoking!! Help!!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 07:35:38 pm »
Why would you be scared to be on a patch because you are on Viramune and Truvada?  the patch is just nicotine and you're already smoking.....   My ex managed to use the patch all the time when he was on Viramune.   I don't see how it changed anything for him, except that he was unbearable while he was trying to quit.

Good luck.   Don't make excuses... just commit yourself to quitting.
Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline makesmewonder

• Thats how i Love to Feel!! Ps: Thats my feet!!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 07:40:08 pm »
yeah, u r right, i should just stop! but i cant, i tried so many times!!!!

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 08:08:55 pm »
talk to your doc about Chantix. ;) I took it last year for 4 wks and easily quit.

I was officially a non-smoker for 110 days. However upon returning home from a trip, my partner became ill, was admitted to the hospital, diagnosed with AIDS and non-Hodgkins lymphoma, and died 69 days later. Unfortunate to say, I took up smoking again when we put him the hospital and was up to 3 packs a day by the time he died. Everything was quite a mess back then. :'(

However, I got another script for Chantix a while back (took it for only 4 wks once again) and timed it out so by my 47th bday on Mar 14th, I had quit smoking for 47 days. ;D At the end of this month I'll mark 90 days without a cigarette. At the next appt with my ID doc in the middle of May, I will have come full circle and by the one yr anniversary of my partner's death I will be back to celebrating 110 days without smoking. ;D

mikie
(who quit only because he is too damned poor, and NOT for any health benefits)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Robert

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 10:57:24 pm »

as you can see by his posting, Leatherman is our go-to-guy when it comes to numbers.

When it comes to HIV/AIDS and numerology ask the Leatherman.

As for the smoking, leatherman is also right about that.  I love to smoke but the cost just got out of hand.  If for no other reason, take the money and stash it away.  You'll be pleasantly surprised how much you have at the end of the year.

robert

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 01:58:12 am »
as you can see by his posting, Leatherman is our go-to-guy when it comes to numbers.
According to the numbers ;D, I spent over $2k on cigarettes last year. Combined with a decreased disability check, I lived on barely $4,000 in 2008! With the federal poverty level for a single at $10,400, I lived about 62% poorer than poor. However, in 2009, without paying for cigs anymore and with a normal check again, I'll be back up to just under 15% below poverty now. ROFL That's a 47% increase in my spendable cash, so I'm living in the lap of luxury now. ROFL :D

oh, and the percentage of people that kill themselves or have extreme mental side effects from Chantix is 0.0000567% or something like that. (I figured the exact number out for the "chantix anyone" thread about 1.5 yrs ago.) I just remember that although the FDA issued a warning about the side effects, less than a half of a percent of people actually experience severe problems. I ain't much of a gambler; but those odds were worth taking. ;) Plus Chantix had good result numbers for patients stopping smoking and staying non-smokers for a yr or more. (can you believe it? I can't remember the actual positive result for the med. ::) LOL)

Lately I have been emailing back and forth with my Senator about the latest federal tobacco taxes. These monies won't go at all towards helping you kick the habit (neither my medicare plan nor OH medicaid would pay for my chantix, so I spent $178 that I got from selling off some of my late-partner's belongings to buy my script). Instead the tax money, that is dwindling as people can't afford to smoke (like me, my roommate, and three friends that have all recently quit due to costs), is supposed to go to pay for SCHIP (children's health care). Unfortunately, as they tax cigs and smoking right out of existence they'll be losing all that health care money too. (as you can tell I'm not one of those avid EX-smokers. Lordy, if I had the money I'd go right back to smoking - but don't tell my mom I said that. ROFL)

hopefully you can kick the habit too, makesmewonder! Keep us informed, so we can encourage you along.  ;)

mikie
(now with the sad numbers: 365 days, 10 hrs and 30 mins ago, I brought my partner home from the hospital for the final time. In another 9 days, 4 hrs and 10 minutes, Jim will have been gone from this life for one year :'( )
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 06:28:33 am »
You have to really want to quit in order to accomplish the goal.  I was a two pack a day smoker for years, and took Chantix and now it's been a little over three months being smoke-free.  I quit numerous times before, but finally decided it was time.  I now think of myself as a nonsmoker instead of an ex-smoker, which makes things much easier, in regards to constantly thinking about smoking (I don't) and being around others who do smoke (it doesn't bother me, as long as it's outside, just because I cannot stand being couped up with cigarette smoke).  Set a goal date, and get psyched up.  And nicotine patches are great, but you eventually have to get off those as well.  Of course, they don't have the carbon monoxide cigarettes do.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 07:20:16 am »

Lately I have been emailing back and forth with my Senator about the latest federal tobacco taxes. These monies won't go at all towards helping you kick the habit (neither my medicare plan nor OH medicaid would pay for my chantix, so I spent $178 that I got from selling off some of my late-partner's belongings to buy my script). Instead the tax money, that is dwindling as people can't afford to smoke (like me, my roommate, and three friends that have all recently quit due to costs), is supposed to go to pay for SCHIP (children's health care). Unfortunately, as they tax cigs and smoking right out of existence they'll be losing all that health care money too. (as you can tell I'm not one of those avid EX-smokers. Lordy, if I had the money I'd go right back to smoking - but don't tell my mom I said that. ROFL)

What you fail to mention in your skewed cost analysis is the enormous cost passed on to people who do pay taxes to cover the health related issues caused by people who smoke. Taxing cigarettes to cover the cost of SCHIP, a health insurance program for poor children costs the American taxpayer nothing. It costs smokers for sure, but not the taxpayer. If the price becomes too exorbitant for smokers, so be it. In the long run it becomes cost effective for all concerned, smokers and people who do pay taxes.

Over 1,460 days ago I quit smoking because of the cost. I realized I could make my monthly car note by quitting. So with a little will power and a box of Commit lozenges I've been smoke free close to 1,500 days. In that four years I've managed to make it through the deaths of friends and a lover without that crutch. Oh and I've paid off my car. :D

Offline David_CA

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 08:01:36 am »
Betty's exactly right about having to really want to quit.  If we're counting days, I quit about 7000 days ago (in '90).  I knew quitting would save money and be good for my health, but I really wanted to quit.  I did, and have never smoked since.  When you're ready to commit to quitting smoking, you will do it with whatever 'aids' that are necessary - Chantix, patches, etc.  If your heart's not in quitting, I wouldn't even waste time trying.  You will quit when you are ready.

On a side note, my husband quit smoking at the end of last October.  I'm so happy for him and proud of him!
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 10:15:06 am »
What you fail to mention in your skewed cost analysis is the enormous cost passed on to people who do pay taxes to cover the health related issues caused by people who smoke.
Doh! then tobacco taxes should pay for the adult health care of people who smoked (it's their money anyway) and that would take that burden off the average taxpayer. Instead all my tobacco tax money has been paying for stadiums, art museums, and now for other people (children, not smokers) to have health care. When all the smokers quit, and taxing has already reduced the number of smokers by 75% since the 70s, then the kids are going to be without health care again and NO one to tax then to pay for it.

a health insurance program for poor children costs the American taxpayer nothing. It costs smokers for sure, but not the taxpayer.
what?!?!? smokers aren't american taxpayers? ROFL Talk about a "skewed" opinion. How about a tax across the board on everyone, rather than a "sin" tax only paid by a discriminated group of fellow taxpaying citizens? Or better yet as I already suggested, let the tobacco tax money pay for the costs of the health care for smokers.

but that's a big ol' arguement that belongs in it's own thread in the off-topic forum (where we did already discuss this subject several months ago))

In that four years I've managed to make it through the deaths of friends and a lover without that crutch.
well, bully for you. Why do you even reply to things I write Dachs? Someone not knowing our history probably wouldn't even have noticed that rather snide comment. Thanks for grinding my nose in Jim's death a little more today. Knowing that a year ago today was the day I brought him home to die, and I did mention that in a previous post, makes your comment pretty damned petty and hateful.

Not only did I start smoking again; but while Jim was in the hospital for 60 days, I quit taking my HIV meds, I didn't hardly eat, and sleep was nearly impossible. Just because I loved my partner more than you loved yours and was more devastated by the loss than you were really is no excuse for your hatefulness. I'm so very glad that you were able to survive the loss of your partner without smoking, unlike me. A lot of things haven fallen apart in my life over the years (nearly died in the hospital twice, lost two partners to AIDS, lost two cars and two homes because of the poverty of living on disability for a decade, and I've been pretty sick for most of the 16 yrs that I've had AIDS) and I slipped backwards a lot; but I've recovered as much as I could. Thankfully I wasn't looking for any support from you.

I should point out that you offered no support to the OP in this thread either - just that comment about how superior you are and that you never needed "the crutch". So what was the point of your post? It obviously wasn't to move this topic forward or to help the OP.

Can someone suggest something?
Sorry for this terrible interuption makesmewonder. Dachs just can't seem to quit making comments to me and every so often I have to call him out on his hatefulness. I just wish that he could quit replying to my comments (Please Dachs! Since you obviously dislike me, please put me on ignore or quit responding to me.) like I have been polite enough to NOT reply to comments of his, and a few other people in his clique.

Thankfully, I've only met a handful of people here whom I've had conflicts with. So many people instead have been incredibly caring and supportive. Now I'm going to go make a post to all those nice people here who were caring, supportive, sympathetic and so very helpful to me when I was going through the tragedy of Jim's illness and death last year. They should know that I've regained a lot of my life since losing Jim, and have returned to being a non-smoker.

Check out the Chantix, and good luck with quitting makesmewonder. ;D
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 11:57:51 am »
Yes makesmewonder quitting smoking is quite difficult. I wouldn't give up if you don't succeed the first time. I stopped and started several times over the years before I was finally able to quit. I hope you find a method that is successful for you.

Now for you leatherman. You have your usual odd way of saying you don't respond to my posts by responding to my posts.

(Please Dachs! Since you obviously dislike me, please put me on ignore or quit responding to me.) like I have been polite enough to NOT reply to comments of his, and a few other people in his clique.

You're quite capable of using the ignore button if you choose, but I certainly won't censor what I have to say, even if it ruffles your dainty little feathers. Gimme a break, this is coming from a guy who doesn't want his taxes going to the "breeders."

« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 12:03:51 pm by Dachshund »

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 01:10:42 pm »
You have your usual odd way of saying you don't respond to my posts by responding to my posts.
sorry. since you didn't understand, let me explain this slower. (I should have remembered how with any argument on these boards one must be 1000% correct and never generalize about a situation.)

I haven't commented or replied to anything that you have posted in the forums in quite some time; but I'm not going to just let you run over me in a thread either. I have ONLY replied when YOUR posts have been directed towards me. You start these arguments every time, not me.

Personally, my impression of you from your posts is one of a very bitter, sarcastic, hateful person. This attitude is clearly evidenced by your out-of-context remarks about a discussion that I had with someone else on these boards on a totally different subject than tobacco taxes. (I used the word "non-breeder" in the thread about the Octo-Mom. And I was properly "chastised" by the moderators and haven't offended anyone's sensibilities with that word since then. Also in that thread I was only advocating that someone that would have eight children at once, should also be ready to take up that fiscal responsibility too. I think everyone needs to be responsible for their own lives. that thread has NOTHING to do with smoking or taxes at all.) Bringing it up in this case, is just your rather pathetic way to make me look bad, when it was you with the snide comment in this thread.

I've managed to make it through the deaths of friends and a lover without that crutch.
Since we've had a "history" of run-ins, and I was the only person in this thread to mention a relapse into smoking because of the tragedy of a partner's death, and since you quoted me, I had to figure that snarky comment about your emotional superiority to not need a "crutch" was directed towards me. How does telling us that about your life and situation help the OP? It doesn't. I wish we all could as easily overcome our addictions and get through life's tragedies as you have. It's also clear from your comments that you didn't intend to lend me any support in overcoming Jim's death nor in staying off the cigs. So what were your comments for, if not to stir the pot?

As I already suggested Chantix, and if you have nothing more to add than telling the OP that you had no problems stopping smoking (a box of Commit and will power), then I suggest we both move on as I have no other advice to offer and you really can't understand the OP's problem with not being able to kick the habit and wanting to stop.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 02:32:36 pm »

How does telling us that about your life and situation help the OP? It doesn't.

Then stop doing it in every thread you post.

As for me, your delusional character assasination couldn't be more wrong. Methinks a little transference is going on. Me? I'm just a well adjusted, easy going guy (good looking too) with a fantastic sense of humor who refuses to wallow in self pity. Ask anybody in the clique.

Anywho, time to end this banal tête-à-tête.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 03:09:41 pm by Dachshund »

Offline dixieman

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 04:27:02 pm »
I wish you Great success in quitting the cig habit... its difficult but, it can be done... it took me several times over the years and I've relapsed several times... and finally so far I've won the battle. Best to you! John

Offline BreakerOneNine

• Myspace
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2009, 10:14:29 pm »
Friday will be three months for me since I have had a cigg. I did it cold turkey. I was an ass the first week and pretty much kept to myself so everyone did not have to suffer with me....lol. I have been smoking since I was 16. I am now 33. If I can do it ANYONE can. I have tried many times before but I have kept to it this time. I was just SICK of smoking! Plus the price of ciggs is just going up. I think that has made it a little easier. Sure I still have cravings, but they are less and less everyday. I am sticking with it this time.  Good luck to you in your efforts to quit smoking. YOU CAN DO IT!
poz 96 and med free til now.
Sept 2007 cd4 280 28.37% and VL 19,200
Nov 2007 cd4 230 25.87% and VL 38,000
Dec 2007 start Atripla
Jan 2008 cd4 490 32.5% and VL 119
Feb 2008 cd4 450 28.4% and VL less than 50
April 2008 cd4 510 28.6% and VL less than 48
July 2008 cd4 570 30.2% and VL less than 48
Dec 2008 cd4 570 32.0% and VL less than 48

Offline lonewolf

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2009, 12:44:29 am »
I have heard that that "fake cigarette" works very well,  have a daughter who bought on for about 100 bucks I think,  and she quit in less than two weeks...
Guess it looks like a cig,  so you can crave and "smoke" and it gives you a vapor type nicotine fix.
She said that after a week or so,  it started tasting not so good anymore,  but  now and then,  just to "light up the fake one" and put it in her mouth works great.
Better than trying to go cold turkey, or suck on candy,  etc.

Sorry I don't have any more info,  but guess this is something new,  I am sure it works on some, and not so good on others, like everything else.
Hugs, and best wishes.
Bruce
"To all within the sound of my voice, I appeal: Learn with me the lessons of history and of grace, so my children will not be afraid to say the word “AIDS” when I am gone. Then, their children and yours may not need to whisper it at all."  Mary Fisher

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 03:57:00 am »
Me? I'm just a well adjusted, easy going guy (good looking too) with a fantastic sense of humor

I knew there was something about you that I liked..it's all so clear to me now.. ;D

Makesmewonder..I wish you luck, giving up smoking is one of the hardest things to do, but if you really want to you will, but you have no make sure you really want to...I have been smoke free for 6 months now but it wasn't easy.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline David_CA

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2009, 09:37:05 am »
I knew there was something about you that I liked..it's all so clear to me now.. ;D

Makesmewonder..I wish you luck, giving up smoking is one of the hardest things to do, but if you really want to you will, but you have no make sure you really want to...I have been smoke free for 6 months now but it wasn't easy.
Hugs
Jan :-*
Congrats, Jan!  You and D must have quit about the same time.
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.