Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:44:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 379
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 366
Total: 367

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Support  (Read 3644 times)

Offline twin

Support
« on: August 16, 2006, 12:35:10 am »
Hi, I'm new to this, but here goes...

After a series of long stays in the hospital for various illnesses, this Spring my twin found out that he's positive.   He told me as soon as he left his doctor's office and I've been there for him ever since going to each appointment with him, helping him eat when he's too weak, and sitting up with him when he cannot sleep.  But I'm not sure what to do and say at times.  He doesn't want our parents or the rest of our siblings to know and he never wants to talk about his health or his meds.  Some days I'm drowning in silence.  I want to be supportive, but I don't want to pressure him.  Do you have any advice for family members?

Offline Bartro

Re: Support
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 12:40:53 am »
Just be there for him.  This, I believe, is the greatest thing you can do. 

Rusty

Offline Eldon

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 12:48:49 am »
Hello Twin, it is Eldon, First of all Welcome to the forums where you will find love, support, encouragement, understanding, fun, and answers to many of your questions relating to HIV/AIDS.

Keep doing what you have been doing and be as supportive as you have been. He is going through a tough time right now. With proper care, adherance, and treatment, his situation will turn itself around, and he'd be willing to talk more later down the road.

Offline Christine

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 10:25:21 am »
Hi Twin,
I agree with everyone...just be there for him. Let him guide you on what he needs, and when he needs it. He is very blessed to have you.

I had a great deal of trouble telling my family and friends in the beginning. It is not uncommon.

Please post here if you need support, any questions answered, or just a day when you need a big hug. Do you have a local Aids service organization in your area? They should be able to help you also as the caregiver.

Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline LatinAlexander

• Bogota, Colombia
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 12:54:35 pm »
yes Twin. Just be there. Make sure you tell him you love him. Those words are the keys to the heart.
Poz since Jul 19 2006
Initial numbers : CD4-250 VL 3500
First labs after HAART (Dec 04-2006) : CD4-432 VL-<40 (Undetectable)  cd4%=25.11%
Started HAART: Combivir+Efavirenz Aug 26 7:38 pm
Feb 08 2007 - Gradually stopping HAART cause of Myalgia. Protecting Efavirenz. Stopped Efavirenz, ahead with Combivir....
February 17 Combivir stopped.
April 3 -07 : Started ddi+3tc+efavirenz...
Gay and positive (What a lack of Identity...:) )
Looking for my Ben....

Offline wellington

• Don't sweat the little things.
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 01:02:32 pm »
Silence is golden. Just having you near has to be a comfort, whether there is dialogue or not. Ask him what he may need and then just be there as much as you're able.

Offline Robert

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 04:10:57 pm »
Hi Twin.

I'm a twin too.  My twin is my shadow.  I have 4 other brothers but my twin in my shadow.  WE have literally shared things from day 1 that my other brothers are completely clueless about.  AIDS is not one of them, however, because it is something I chose to share with all of them.

But had I only wanted to share my HIV status with Charlie, I know my secret would be safe. 

robert

Offline gemini20

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 06:50:14 pm »
Another twin here too, I'm the positive one and my twin sister was the first family member I disclosed to back fifteen years ago when I was diagnosed. Over the years she has always been totally supportive, this has been particularly helpful to me since our mother decided to cut all contact with me (for bringing shame on the family!) and our father died when we were kids.

I understand the difficulty in talking about health, I rarely share this info with my twin - when I got sick in 2003 I actively tried to keep her out of the loop, only for a friend to phone her instead! But although I don't share much, I know that if I were to change my mind then she will always be there for me and just knowing that is all I need.

Like others have said, just being there for your brother is a huge gift you are giving him. As long as he knows that he can tell you anything if and when he chooses then that's worth so much. But also remember that you have needs too - I always made sure my sister knew she could ask me anything about my life with HIV so that she could try and understand what I was going through. Support is a two way process as far as I can see.

Best wishes.

Emma
Diagnosed 11th September 1991
Current CD4 count 484 (26%); viral load undetectable (December 2011).
Restarting boosted Prezista 08/04/11

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.