Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 06:37:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773275
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 451
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 403
Total: 405

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: incident with prostitute  (Read 8569 times)

Offline nickasm

incident with prostitute
« on: January 06, 2012, 11:50:22 pm »
i am 18 uncircumcised and some time ago i received oral sex from a prostitute with a TONGUE PIERCING(barbel)
i know in these forums oral sex is considered safe but what if the person giving has injuries on her mouth

i read most people who have barbel for more than 2 years have receding gum and injuries on their mouth

here is my question:
assuming my foreskin touched a lesion in her mouth for a brief time (1second)
is there any chance of  contracting hiv?
does it need more time of touching or the time plays no role at all?

Offline RapidRod

Re: incident with prostitute
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 12:18:38 am »
i am 18 uncircumcised and some time ago i received oral sex from a prostitute with a TONGUE PIERCING(barbel)
i know in these forums oral sex is considered safe but what if the person giving has injuries on her mouth

i read most people who have barbel for more than 2 years have receding gum and injuries on their mouth

here is my question:
assuming my foreskin touched a lesion in her mouth for a brief time (1second)
is there any chance of  contracting hiv?
does it need more time of touching or the time plays no role at all?
At no time were you ever at risk of contracting HIV. Saliva is non-infectious and contains over a dozen different enzymes and proteins that inhibits HIV transmission.

Offline nickasm

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 01:02:53 am »
so the only protection i had was saliva?sounds like a weak defense...what if there were little amounts of saliva or no saliva at that part of her mouth at the time

what about the air in the oral cavity?can that kill hiv on the surface of the mouth?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 01:15:34 am »
Take the time to read the posting guidelines.

Offline nickasm

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 04:00:12 am »
wow thanks...

Offline nickasm

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 11:20:42 am »
so...does anyone else has something to add?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 01:41:41 pm »
Nick, it doesn't matter what special details you throw into the mix when considering getting a blowjob in terms of HIV transmission. Getting oral is one of the most common of sexual activities. In the entire history of the epidemic there has never been a confirmed cast of transmission via a guy getting a blowjob.

It's safe to say you are not going to make history by becoming the first.

The only confirmed risks for the sexual transmission of HIV are unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse. That's it. Use condoms every time for those activities and you will be well protected. It's really just that simple.

You have no cause for concern about HIV this time.
Andy Velez

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 03:28:00 pm »
so the only protection i had was saliva?sounds like a weak defense...what if there were little amounts of saliva or no saliva at that part of her mouth at the time

what about the air in the oral cavity?can that kill hiv on the surface of the mouth?

Your "only" protection is the body's first and best line of defense against oral microorganisms, bacteria and viruses. Don't discount it.

NO ONE has ever gotten HIV from getting a blowjob. Ever. You wil not make medical history by being the first.

Use a condom for penetrative vaginal and anal sex and you will avoid HIV. Not other, more robust STDs, but ABSOLUTELY HIV.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline nickasm

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 09:05:59 am »
thanks for the responses but much of my questions remain unanswered like:
assuming she had lesions on the roof or gums of her mouth is it really impossible for that lesion to not be covered in saliva  or covered in an insufficient amount of saliva?
in that case could the air of the oral cavity kill the virus?
is mucus to foreskin transmission possible?
also i might have cleaned my foreskin with alcohol some hours before the incident,

i dont know if these questions are valid medically but they seem reasonable to me

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 09:15:36 am »
thanks for the responses but much of my questions remain unanswered like:
assuming she had lesions on the roof or gums of her mouth is it really impossible for that lesion to not be covered in saliva  or covered in an insufficient amount of saliva?
in that case could the air of the oral cavity kill the virus?
is mucus to foreskin transmission possible?
also i might have cleaned my foreskin with alcohol some hours before the incident,

i dont know if these questions are valid medically but they seem reasonable to me

Hey Nick,

I'm gonna spell this out for you once. The whole AIDS thing.

HIV is a delicate virus. It's spread in particular ways. Those ways are:

Unprotected anal sex. Either way.

Unprotected vaginal sex. Either way.

Sharing contaminated injecting equipment such as needles or syringes with an HIV positive person.

Occasionally a mother with HIV might transmit the virus to her unborn or breastfeeding baby.

Do you fit any of these criteria?

No, you don't.  So dry up. You don't have AIDS.

And don't push the issue. This isn't a "discussion".

Ya dig?

MtD

Offline nickasm

does this sound like hiv?
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 09:24:19 am »
30 days after a somewhat risky  exposure i had diarrhea fever and vomit which lasted approximately 4 days...is it common for ars to last only 4 days?
at first i thought it was just gastroenteritis

8 months later i started getting sore throats and colds all the time
i know its winter and i never really had a strong immune system but i dont remember it being that weak
could it be a result of hiv?

Offline Matty the Damned

Re: does this sound like hiv?
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 09:27:38 am »
30 days after a somewhat risky  exposure i had diarrhea fever and vomit which lasted approximately 4 days...is it common for ars to last only 4 days?
at first i thought it was just gastroenteritis

8 months later i started getting sore throats and colds all the time
i know its winter and i never really had a strong immune system but i dont remember it being that weak
could it be a result of hiv?

Nope. It sounds like you're a person who cannot follow our rules.

You are required to keep all your questions, comments and dreary thoughts in your Original Thread

Please return to your Original Thread. Your questions will not be answered until you do.

MtD

Offline nickasm

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 09:27:40 am »
i posted another thread with my symptoms
it hard for me to explain the constant sore throats for weeks when i mostly stay in my apartment with 31 temperature

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 09:29:48 am »
i posted another thread with my symptoms
it hard for me to explain the constant sore throats for weeks when i mostly stay in my apartment with 31 temperature

Yeah, I read that thread and kicked you in your ass.

Keep ALL your comments, questions and other stuff in THIS thread.

Or face the Wrath of Ann.

MtD

Offline nickasm

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2012, 09:35:22 am »
i guess the mod can merge the threads but i thought it would be appropriate to make a different one
i see you changed the cuss words now...

Offline nickasm

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2012, 09:37:07 am »
Yeah, I read that thread and kicked you in your ass.

Keep ALL your comments, questions and other stuff in THIS thread.

Or face the Wrath of Ann.

MtD

funny you mention the rules when you are the one swearing all the time
this language is part of the rules too?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2012, 09:38:13 am »
i guess the mod can merge the threads but i thought it would be appropriate to make a different one
i see you changed the cuss words now...

Return to your thread.

And, by the way, I never cuss.

MtD

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2012, 09:44:45 am »

funny you mention the rules when you are the one swearing all the time
this language is part of the rules too?

Swear? Oh honey, you have no idea.

Your questions have been answered. We've read all that crap about lesions and oral cavities and such like and so on.

You were not at risk of infection with HIV. You don't need to be tested for HIV.

MtD

Offline nickasm

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2012, 09:48:06 am »
i am pretty sure you called me a douchebag before you edited your post but oh well...add hallucinations in the symptom list then

anyways i am not here to argue i just want to find out whats going on and get back on track

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2012, 09:52:53 am »
i am pretty sure you called me a douchebag before you edited your post but oh well...add hallucinations in the symptom list then

anyways i am not here to argue i just want to find out whats going on and get back on track

Well I'm just as sure I didn't call you a douchebag. The AIDSmeds rules are clear about that sort of stuff.

You might be a douchebag, but I can't call you that.

And if I had changed my posts there would be an edit token in my messages.

I have already answered your questions.

In your original thread.

MtD

Offline nickasm

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2012, 10:00:58 am »
i mostly want to hear what andy velez and jkinatl2 have to say on this
as they often use scientific evidence to back up their statements

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2012, 10:02:42 am »
i mostly want to hear what andy velez and jkinatl2 have to say on this
as they often use scientific evidence to back up their statements

One or both of them will be along presently to address your concerns.

Incidentally, if you are unhappy with any of my comments, you can always click the Report to Moderator link.

Best regards,

MtD

Offline nickasm

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2012, 10:15:58 am »
sorry if i was mistaken even though i doubt i was

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2012, 10:41:06 am »
Nick, I have merged your threads here. In the future please follow the rule of the site as detailed in the opening thread to only write in this same thread. Do not begin any new threads.

You were already told earlier that the incident which brought you here was not "somewhat risk," but rather that it was a non-risk. As you have been told, no guy has ever been confirmed to have been infected through receiving oral, including if the giver had a tongue piercing.

Only unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse are confirmed risks for the sexual transmission of HIV. Use condoms for those everytime and you will be well protected.

You are worrying needlessly. Give it up and get on with your life.
Andy Velez

Offline nickasm

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2012, 10:56:39 am »
from what i read there are numerous reports on oral sex transmission is just the validity of these reports is doubted cause the patient might be lying...
also the oral sex risk could be covered from other kind of unprotected sexual activities
is that correct?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2012, 11:02:59 am »
Although I don't quite get the point you are trying to make the bottom line is the same: receiving oral is one of the most common of sexual activities. To date there has not been a single confirmed case of transmission to a man through his receiving a blowjob.

People don't necessarily lie about their experiences. Sometimes it's faulty memory and sometimes it's having been under the influence of drugs or liquor which affect the accuracy of what is being reported.

Whatever the cause of faulty reporting, it is still safe to say you will not make history by becoming the first to be infected in that manner.

It's a non-risk and you need to let go of this unwarranted fear. I cannot make the matter clearer than that.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 11:05:29 am by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2012, 01:18:04 pm »
I've already chimed in regarding your no-risk incident. I can't imagine having anything to add. Try searching these forums using the term "oral" and you'll find more scientific evidence than you could ever need. We only use first tiered peer reviewed scientific data to make our assessments. In my humble opinion, this site is the absolute cutting edge of HIV transmission theory - based risk assessment.

You have indeed received state of the art risk assessment.

And there is absolutely no HIV concern whatsoever in the events as you described them.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline nickasm

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2012, 11:03:09 pm »
Although I don't quite get the point you are trying to make
what i am trying to say is that its possible other people got infected through oral sex but their cases have been discarded due to low credibility or their cases have been shadowed t because there were practicing other kinds of unprotected sex

And there is absolutely no HIV concern whatsoever in the events as you described them
even if we suppose there was a lesion in her mouth not covered in saliva?

i am trying to forget about this but i have a hard time explaining why i get  sick with sore throats and sinusitis all the time
and now i have 2 canker sores in my mouth
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 11:04:52 pm by nickasm »

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2012, 11:21:08 pm »
I am not at all sure what scientific studies you think have been conducted regarding HIV transmission theory, but they have, in the last thirty years, been exhaustive.

We have systematically narrowed down the means by which HIV is transmitted. The growing existence of serodiscordant couples (where one partner is positive and one is negative) only helped cement scientific study that had been  proven in the lab, in primate study, and even to a degree in the VERY soft science of patient report.

There have been no verifiable documented cases of HIV being transmitted through any sexual activity other than penetrative anal and vaginal sex.

As you know, oral sex can mean four different things. Sucking, getting sucked, performing oral sex on a female, or being a female and having oral sex performed on you.

Of these four things, the ONLY subject of ANY controversy remains sucking/swallowing semen.

However, since the advent of HAART treatment to arrest HIV replication, there have been numerous studies of serodiscordant couples (again, thats where one  person is positive and one is negative)

These stories took place on two continents over the span of fifteen years, and followed couples with low/undetectable viral loads/on meds as well as those with HIV viral loads who were not yet on medication.

The result? Not a single transmission so long as the couples correctly and consistently used condoms for anal and vaginal sex. Not one.

One of the criteria of the studies was that the couples admitted to having used condoms ONLY for penetrative sex, NOT for oral sex. This admission, this criteria successfully removed the barrier of inaccurate patient report after the fact. insofar as oral sex was concerned.

Here are the studies in question:

No incident HIV infections among MSM who practice exclusively oral sex.
Int Conf AIDS 2004 Jul 11-16; 15:(abstract no. WePpC2072)??Balls JE, Evans JL, Dilley J, Osmond D, Shiboski S, Shiboski C, Klausner J, McFarland W, Greenspan D, Page-Shafer K?University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, United States

Oral transmission of HIV, reality or fiction? An update
J Campo1, MA Perea1, J del Romero2, J Cano1, V Hernando2, A Bascones1
Oral Diseases (2006) 12, 219–228

AIDS: Volume 16(17) 22 November 2002 pp 2350-2352
Risk of HIV infection attributable to oral sex among men who have sex with men and in the population of men who have sex with men

Page-Shafer, Kimberlya,b; Shiboski, Caroline Hb; Osmond, Dennis Hc; Dilley, Jamesd; McFarland, Willie; Shiboski, Steve Cc; Klausner, Jeffrey De; Balls, Joycea; Greenspan, Deborahb; Greenspan
Page-Shafer K, Veugelers PJ, Moss AR, Strathdee S, Kaldor JM, van Griensven GJ. Sexual risk behavior and risk factors for HIV-1 seroconversion in homosexual men participating in the Tricontinental Seroconverter Study, 1982-1994 [published erratum appears in Am J Epidemiol 1997 15 Dec; 146(12):1076]. Am J Epidemiol 1997, 146:531-542.

Studies which show the fallacy of relying on anecdotal evidence as opposed to carefully controlled study insofar as HIV transmission risk is concerned:

Jenicek M. "Clinical Case Reporting" in Evidence-Based Medicine. Oxford: Butterworth–Heinemann; 1999:117
Saltzman SP, Stoddard AM, McCusker J, Moon MW, Mayer KH. Reliability of self-reported sexual behavior risk factors for HIV infection in homosexual men. Public Health Rep. 1987 102(6):692–697.Nov–Dec;

Catania JA, Gibson DR, Chitwood DD, Coates TJ. Methodological problems in AIDS behavioral research: influences on measurement error and participation bias in studies of sexual behavior. Psychol Bull. 1990 Nov;108(3):339–362.

Welcome Thread

Offline nickasm

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2012, 02:25:05 am »
in these studies though there is no mention of the oral health of these people(receding gums lesions)

i do realize transmission through intact oral mucosa is extremely unlikely probably impossible but what about in the case of inflamed tissue etc?

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2012, 02:32:56 am »
It has never been recorded. It has never been documented. It has not been brought to the table.

I am sorry this site seems to have failed you.

You had absolutely no risk.

What you present is nothing less than a perpetuation of the stigma for HIV positive persons. I know you don't mean to do this, but this is where you are at.

I have no further scientific evidence to present to you - therefore I have no further means by which to continue this conversation. Take an HIV test at three months, assuming even that science is not beyond scrutiny. Collect your negative test result and resolve never again to trust your genitals to the manipulations of another person. This is the only assured safe sex in the known universe.

Welcome Thread

Offline nickasm

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2012, 03:17:35 am »
i am not racist and have never been one

i thought about testing but i wont feel so comfortable with the nurses and the people doing the test

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 04:18:23 am by Ann »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2012, 03:43:54 am »
Nick,

I edited your post to remove the references to and cut and paste articles from an hiv denialist website that you posted. Posting denialist mis-information on these forums is grounds for being permanently banned, so if you want to remain a member here, DO NOT EVER post crap from them again.

Hiv denialist are responsible for the unnecessary deaths of many hiv positive individuals. They have no place in this forum.

If you want to know why the hiv denialist are so WRONG and so DANGEROUS, please read through the http://www.aidstruth.org/ website.

You did not have a risk for hiv infection. There has never, ever been a single case of transmission through getting blown and you are not going to be the first.

While some people have claimed to have been infected through GIVING blowjobs, no one has EVER claimed to have been infected while GETTING a blowjob.

If you read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or NO RISK SITUATION, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline nickasm

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2012, 03:48:09 am »
sorry i edited the post again before reading yours but didnt add the link

i specifically mention i doubt the reliability of these sites but they seem to be many...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 03:54:22 am by nickasm »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2012, 04:00:08 am »
Nick,

There are plenty of conspiracy theory websites out there on many subjects, including hiv. Just because there are a lot of them does not make them credible.

As I said, hiv denialists are dangerous people and have caused the deaths of far too many positive people who wanted desperately to believe that hiv does not result in aids and death. The ideas of the denialists are driven by STIGMA.

Your irrational fear of being infected when you got a blowjob is also driven by STIGMA. I'm pretty sure that if your sexual experience had not been with a sex worker, you probably would not have given it a second thought.

Your time out warning stands.

You have NOT had a risk for hiv infection.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline nickasm

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2012, 06:06:11 am »
this whole thing happened 8 months ago so i really dont think its the stigma
i started searching it might be hiv a few weeks ago cause i keep getting sore throats again and again and then i got draged into this
i went to the doc and he said i ve been through a pharyngitis but he  sees nothing more
i still keep on getting sore throats and colds

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2012, 06:18:24 am »
Nick,

As this happened eight months ago, and as you cannot seem to bring yourself to believe us when we REPEATEDLY tell you that you did NOT have a risk, then just go test and collect your conclusive negative result. Eight months is far too long to torture yourself over this NO RISK blowjob.

You got your dick sucked and it's high time you got over it.

I'm giving you that time out you've been warned about. Do not attempt to create a new account to get around your time out because if you do, you will be permanently banned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.