Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:15:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 238
Total: 239

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What to do?  (Read 8011 times)

Offline Oscar

• 20 Years POZ
What to do?
« on: July 07, 2006, 03:31:56 pm »
I have been offered a full time job as a secretary with the State of Tennessee Department of Childrens Services. The job pays 21,000.00 a year with full health benefits.  I am currently drawing SSDI with Medicaid/TNCare. Should I keep my part time job at the bank and still draw SSDI/Medicaid or go for the full time job with benefits? I am in good health, not counting the recent MSRA infection that is now resolved. My #'s are great, undetectable 436 t cells. I take good care of myself, take my meds on time, eat right, get excersise, and 8 hours sleep each night. I am finding that working part time doesn't keep me "stimulated" enough. Should I hang on to SSDI and continue to work part time or go for the full time job and give up disability??? This is a hard decision for me to make. Fear of the unkown is holding me back.

Dan

Offline Dachshund

Re: What to do?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 03:35:47 pm »
That's great Dan! Will you still live in Jackson?

My gut instinct...go for it!

Hal&Sam ;)

Offline Oscar

• 20 Years POZ
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 03:37:21 pm »
The job is in Jackson. My mother is completely against me doing this. She is affraid that I will get sick again and won't be able to keep the job and then not be able to get my SSDI benefits back. I understand her concerns but a guys gotta do what he feels he needs to do. This job would give me the opportunity to have my personal life back. Mainly my OWN place to live. Don't get me wrong I am grateful that my parents were  willing and able to help me when I was seriously ill. I need to get out on my own again & this job will allow me to do that.

Or I continue to work for the bank part time, draw SSDI & live at home with the old folks.

Dan
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 03:48:44 pm by Oscar »

Offline cmhjeff

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 03:46:49 pm »
I say go for it, sounds like a great opportunity.  If you go back to work FT don't you continue to receive SSDI for a short time?  I think it's a return to work program thry Social Security.   I also think there is a window of time where disability would start back up if you could not remain working.  Just some things you may want to look into.

Jeff

Offline Oscar

• 20 Years POZ
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 03:52:14 pm »
Jeff,

That is the Ticket to Work Program. You have a one time 9 month trial work period where you can earn as much as possible and still draw your SSDI benefits. I have already used my trial work period when I worked for the law firm as a debt collector. If I did get sick again I think my SSDI benefits would start back. The insurance question is the main thing I am worried about. With out that I can't get my meds.

Offline Terry

• 7/13/82 Infected
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 03:55:04 pm »
Dan,

I’d check everything out first before giving up your SSDI The government has a back to work program to help those healthy enough to make the transition back to work with out jeopardizing SSDI or health coverage. I'm attaching the site for that so you can browse through it. take small steps back to work. don’t lose what you have gain and this site helps you make those choices.

Terry

http://www.ssa.gov/work/

Offline MSPspud

• Joined Mar 2005 - Formerly UofMurbs
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 03:58:57 pm »
Hi Dan -  I would consider the following things before jumping into this:

Do the benefits start at day 1?
Does the health insurance have a pre-existing condition clause that won't cover you for 6 mo to a year?
What sort of policy does the state department have toward sexual preference?
Is this job union (being that it's state)?
Will you have internet at work and will this potentially interfer with your ability to keep up? (I know this may sound like a silly question, but there have been times when internet has effected my work).
Have you visited the environment and checked out your new boss?

Anyway, congrats on this opportunity.  I think it would be a great idea to enter the work force for MANY reasons.  Because of HIV/AIDS, we do have to make sure we're certain of career choices though.  Very certain...  just like deciding if we're ready to take meds or not.  

Offline water duck

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 05:38:49 pm »
Dear Dan,

GO GO GO Dan, you must do it , as i read between the lines, your mind is already make up. You just needed  us to booster your confidence.

Self love and self confidence must come from within us. Let it come out and grow, you will see that all else will follows. Just tell yourself : I CAN DO IT AND I WILL DO IT.

I shall say a little prayer that you will not let this pass without a fight.

With lots of love and support !!

Siang

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 08:16:50 pm »
Dan,

I am so happy you got this offer!  I say go for it, I believe you can be successful!   Just think about it....it would be better to be working and have full health benefits than what you are dealing with now; and if for some reason you were not able to keep it up, you can reinstate your SSD.   I did.

Hugs,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Robert

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 09:43:12 pm »
Go for it.   Job security.  Job satisfaction.  Benefits. Most important of all, a high, high degree of personal satisfaction and sense of self worth. 

Offline Teresa

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2006, 07:15:51 pm »
Congratulations on the job offer. Whatever you decide to do it has to make you feel good that they want YOU!

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline Cliff

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2006, 08:31:33 pm »
Take it!  It's what you want (maybe even what you need).  Grab those fears by the horns and tackle 'em to the ground!!!

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2006, 12:55:33 am »
Dear Dan,

Interesting topic here.  As a person living with a disability, you have the right to attempt to return to work full-time for up to 9 months, with no loss of benefits.  At the end of those 9 months, you have the option to keep the job or keep the disability and the benefits.

The most important question that needs to be asked is one that you must ask of yourself, do you feel up to working full-time?  You also read everything and are aware of the RWCA and the potential loss of benefits or reduction of benefits.  So far, this is just legislative talk and nothing serious is anticipated for the next year.   This enables you to have time to make this important decision but the shit will hit the fan sooner or later.

I know you have been looking forward to Montreal for a long time so, the next question will be, can you take the full-time job and still attend AMG 06?  Have the best day
Michael

www.Commission-on-AIDS.org

Offline zephyr

• Zephyr L.T.N.P. Foundation, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2006, 01:39:31 am »
Hi Dan,

Congratulations on the job offer!! You've gotten some terrific advice from other members here, and I agree, this opportunity is a wonderful one!

Could just be the very thing you've been waiting for, honey.

I say, nothing ventured, nothing gained!!

Love,

Zeph :-*
"It is character that communicates most eloquently."

Offline bobik

• My worksite
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2006, 08:48:57 am »
Hey Dan,

Sounds like a big YES.

Supporting hug,

Coen
Coen Honig at Facebook

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2006, 08:15:59 am »
Dan

Just curious--have you decided anything yet?

RAB

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.