Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:52:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773179
  • Total Topics: 66333
  • Online Today: 335
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 293
Total: 295

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Depression  (Read 4187 times)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Depression
« on: September 20, 2006, 08:10:47 am »
Hi gang,

I just came across this article and although it was written with Fibromyalgia sufferers in mind, it all applies to us as well, so I thought I'd post it.

Is it Fatigue or Is It Depression?
by Michael McNett, MD, Medical Director of the Fibromyalgia Treatment Centers of America; reproduced with permission from Canary Times, the quarterly publication of the CFS/FM/CS Coalition of Chicago.*
ImmuneSupport.com

09-13-2006

For anyone suffering from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFIDS) or Fibromyalgia (FMS), it’s normal to feel down in the dumps. These conditions can dramatically limit your life, leaving you in a situation that may bear no resemblance to how you had always imagined yourself living. Being forced into a quality of life far below your desires naturally causes a great deal of anger and sadness. If it’s bad enough and lasts long enough, you may develop full-blown depression.
While depression and sadness look very similar, they are very different processes in the brain.

Sadness is about a particular situation, but depression is about life itself. Also, while sadness is temporary and causes no long-term problems, depression involves a change in how the brain works. If left untreated, these changes may result in a permanent “rewiring” of the brain which can make it very hard for the brain not to be depressed. As a result, the longer and more severe a person’s depression, the greater the likelihood of recurring depressions over the course of the lifetime.

In addition, depression can become so severe that it causes suicidal thoughts. If untreated, these thoughts can become urges and, ultimately, actions. Depression, being potentially fatal, is the most serious complication of either CFIDS or FMS. This makes it doubly important to recognize and treat as soon as possible.

For those suffering from CFIDS and Fibromyalgia, however, this isn’t easy. Many of the symptoms of CFIDS and FMS imitate depression. You may think, “If I could just get my health back, I’d be ok.” Actually, this isn’t true. Once depression has developed, simply taking away the cause doesn’t cure the depression – it becomes self-sustaining. As an example, a healthy person wins the lottery and dances in the streets. A depressed person wins it and stays awake at night worrying about all the taxes they have to pay. In a very real way, depression takes over your mind and guides how you think – always toward negativity and victimization.

So how does one tell if one is depressed, particularly if illness causes poor sleep, unhappiness with quality of life, and makes one tired all the time? Here are some guidelines.

The Criteria Psychiatrists Use to Diagnose Depression

Over a two-week period, a person must have five or more of the following symptoms (representing a change from normal for them):

n Depressed mood (as apparent to themselves or others)

n Loss of pleasure, loss of interest in hobbies (Note – at least one of these first two symptoms must be present.)

n Weight gain or loss (unintentional)

n Sleep increase or decrease

n Listlessness (decreased motor activity)

n Fatigue

n Worthlessness or guilt (inappropriate to life situation)

n Cognitive dysfunction (inability to think or concentrate)

n Preoccupation with death (possibly suicidal thoughts or urges)

ALSO:

n The symptoms must impair work, personal, or social functioning.

n The patient can’t have bipolar illness (“manic-depressive disorder”)

n The symptoms can’t be caused by a medical illness or medications.

n The episode can’t have started within two weeks of the death of a loved one.

How CFIDS and FMS Complicate Diagnosis

Since CFIDS and FMS both cause people to have sad moods, listlessness, fatigue, sleep problems, difficulty concentrating, and an inability to participate in hobbies, the exception “can’t be caused by a medical illness or medications” makes the diagnosis very difficult.

One primary way to tell the difference is the idea of hopelessness and helplessness. If there are things a patient can do to help themselves (for example, taking medication) and they say, “What’s the use? It won’t help anyway,” that’s depression talking. Unwillingness to do physical therapy, prioritize how energy is spent on activities, keep doctor appointments, exercise, or do biofeedback may be signs that depression is developing.

Also, a fairly rapid worsening in mood can be another sign of depression. Uncontrollable crying, anger outbursts, or constant simmering irritability, particularly if continued for longer than two weeks (and not associated with a major loss) are pretty good signs that a major change has taken place. Clearly, any comments about death or “I feel like I’m nothing but a burden” should be taken seriously.

Typically, the patient is the last person to recognize these problems. It’s most commonly family and friends who see these changes and suggest that something needs to be done. If you are a person suffering from CFIDS or FMS, be sure your loved ones read this article. Then, if they tell you that they’re concerned about depression, it’s important that you get checked out by a doctor, preferably a psychiatrist. Simple questionnaires can be employed [such as the Beck Depression Inventory or the Zung Self Rating Depression Scale] that can indicate whether depression is likely to be present. These, combined with a good history and physical examination, can usually reliably tell whether depression is present.

There are several types of treatment for depression. Exercise is very helpful (though it can be hard for CFIDS/FMS sufferers). Psychological counseling is important, as well. Grieving is a key factor in healing – it’s very important to let out the feelings you have about your situation. In addition, cognitive therapy can be important in helping you learn how to cope with your medical condition. Occasionally, deeper psychotherapy may also be indicated to deal with life-long patterns that may predispose you to depression.

Antidepressant Medications

There are several kinds of antidepressant medications. The decision on which to use should be individualized – discuss the pros and cons of the various options with your doctor and work together to decide which would be the best for you.

If one type doesn’t work, it can be replaced with another type, or they may even be used together. Learn the side effects of your medications and notify your doctor if any develop.

In summary, depression is a common complication of both CFIDS and FMS. Because it worsens your suffering and can lead to permanent changes in the brain or even death, it is very important to recognize it and see your doctor if you or your loved ones suspect you may have it. There are a variety of very effective treatments available. With rapid diagnosis and prompt treatment, almost everyone can be helped significantly. The only place for “the blues” is on your stereo!

NOTE: Patients should be aware that certain medical conditions and medications can cause symptoms of depression. For example, thyroid hormone and nutritional imbalances, beta blockers, certain sleep medications and other drugs and conditions can cause you to feel depressed. If you experience the symptoms discussed in this article, schedule an in-depth discussion with your physician to determine the cause.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Jerry71

• Biktarvy CD4 637 04-17-18
    • Facebook
Re: Depression
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 08:16:47 am »
Thanks Ann for posting this.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 09:03:38 am »
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 09:09:10 pm by Iggy »

Offline Christine

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 03:12:41 pm »
Thanks Ann. That was a good article. I have suffered from depression since I was 19, years before the hiv diagnosis, and the article summed it all up really well.
Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline Rightbrain

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 06:05:36 pm »
Thank you Ann,

I'm swithching from Paxil to Wellbutrin.  I don't think the wellbutrin is working and I'm almost all the way off Paxil.  It just so happens that I'm crashing hard today.  It seemed all I could do to call for an appointment. 

brother joe
If there's a cure I hope I can have all the leftover Sustiva.

Offline Longislander

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 06:22:43 pm »
Hi Ann, thanks for the article. Noticed the author was my doctor at Callen_Lorde in NYC when I was first diagnosed.

Paul
P.S. he had nothing to do with any of my bad experiences at CL, actually he was the best person I came across there.
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline swede_dish

• I feel like an angel baby wrapped in a candy cloud
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 07:08:26 pm »
Thank you ann...I just called for an appointment....way too many of those things fit my situation..
"I married a German. Every night I dress up as Poland and he invades me. "
-Bette Midler

Offline Eldon

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 08:21:26 pm »
Hello Ann, it is Eldon.

The information that you have posted was very imformative.

Have the BEST Day!

Offline Cheetara74

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 09:31:00 pm »
I'm currently taking Cymbalta for depression and Risperdal for schizophrenia.  So it doesn't seem to helping much I suppose I have to give it more time.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.